ImageImageImageImage

What has happened to Cole Anthony?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,304

Re: What has happened to Cole Anthony? 

Post#21 » by pepe1991 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 12:59 pm

Skybox wrote:
tooler wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:This post contract year effect.
Player got payed.
$40M of guaranteed money is more than normal person can spend in life time.
He is 23 years old.

Probably stopped being locked in 100%.

And he randomly decided to start coasting in December? And still look extremely frustrated every time he plays poorly?

I'm not seeing it here.

I agree. I think he’ll be fine…just far from a major factor. I’d move him for a better floor spreader or other equivalent value if the opportunity arose.

Payton would only start playing better in March, maybe he found his old recpy book in lockerroom, next to Hennigan's white board and hybrid trade ideas :lol:
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 13,029

Post#22 » by MagicMatic » Thu Feb 8, 2024 1:21 pm

3 things.

1) He came out of offseason training and was ready to go as soon as the season started. I remember seeing Cole putting in a lot of work over the summer via social media. He hit the wall eventually.

2) Minutes. He had a clearly defined role with Markelle out. He came in behind AB and got the majority of point guard minutes in better lineup situations.

3) Injury - sometime in January he was injured. I can’t remember which game. I think it was against Sacramento. He hasn’t been 100% since.
JoshuaPotter
Starter
And1: 681

Post#23 » by JoshuaPotter » Thu Feb 8, 2024 1:32 pm

MagicMatic wrote:3 things.

1) He came out of offseason training and was ready to go as soon as the season started. I remember seeing Cole putting in a lot of work over the summer via social media. He hit the wall eventually.

2) Minutes. He had a clearly defined role with Markelle out. He came in behind AB and got the majority of point guard minutes in better lineup situations.

3) Injury - sometime in January he was injured. I can’t remember which game. I think it was against Sacramento. He hasn’t been 100% since.

4) People forget that we rolled out Okeke + Houstan as starters in Jan the month we did very bad. Would we have won these games healthy? Not sure, but we are clearly forgetting it. Guess who besides Paolo has been playing all these games? Cole. Both Paolo and Cole have had a merry-go-round of players to play with that they are unfamiliar with. Cole is no Paolo. / end rant.

Edit : Side point but not worthy of a 5. Most games played as of today is Paolo = 50 / Cole = 49 / Mo = 48
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,639

Post#24 » by Skybox » Thu Feb 8, 2024 1:35 pm

Healthy Ingles (with Fultz out) was also maybe a factor...he set Cole up and showed him the way. Cole was quick to praise Ingle's impact on his offensive success...kind of showed that Cole's not a PG...but also that he CAN contribute in the right spot.
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,167

Post#25 » by zaymon » Thu Feb 8, 2024 1:39 pm

JoshuaPotter wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:3 things.

4) People forget that we rolled out Okeke + Houstan as starters in Jan the month we did very bad. Would we have won these games healthy? Not sure, but we are clearly forgetting it. Guess who besides Paolo has been playing all these games? Cole. Both Paolo and Cole have had a merry-go-round of players to play with that they are unfamiliar with. Cole is no Paolo. / end rant.

Edit : Side point but not worthy of a 5. Most games played as of today is Paolo = 50 / Cole = 49 / Mo = 48

Cole is also streaky as hell. Not good decision maker. Very slowly adapts to changes.
Its not like players around him change his playstyle that much. Lately he just lost his confidence, he misses jumpers and drives when there are no angles to drive.
I suspect he will be better after all star break for a while and then he will decline once again.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
BCS
Sixth Man
And1: 676

Post#26 » by BCS » Thu Feb 8, 2024 1:55 pm

Skybox wrote:
thelead wrote:
ogmagicfan wrote:Idk whats wrong with him, it might be some personal stuff or it might be a nagging injury. Either way something is getting in the way. I hope he can turn things around but I'd absolutely look for alternatives as they present themselves

The trade Cole for Evan talk is insane. Evan can't even get PT on the Knicks right now with them being completely plagued by injuries. He's cooked, washed, etc.

I'm assuming the people that are bringing up Evan are just looking at him as an expiring so that we can get off of Cole's contract.

I imagine so…not a huge difference between Evan and Kennard types. If Mose won’t play Jett, he’s not likely to play Evan (or Kennard) either. Thibs and Mose have very different demeanors, but it seems neither will compromise defense for offense. They’d both rather play 5 defenders unless the player is undeniably prominent (Paolo, Franz, Brunson)
But he plays Ingles, so there is wiggle room for him to play Kennard. Of course if we were to get a Kennard, my assumption is he takes Ingles spot in the rotation as Mose won't have 2 weak defenders

The problem with Jett is that not only is he a weak defender but he has low defensive iq unlike players like Ingles or even Vuc. They usually know where they need to be defensively they are just slow and not athletic enough on the defensive end.

We also play Cole still as well so Mose has some wiggle room for sacrificing defense for "offense".

Sent from my SM-A716U using RealGM mobile app
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,639

Post#27 » by Skybox » Thu Feb 8, 2024 1:58 pm

BCS wrote:
Skybox wrote:
thelead wrote:I'm assuming the people that are bringing up Evan are just looking at him as an expiring so that we can get off of Cole's contract.

I imagine so…not a huge difference between Evan and Kennard types. If Mose won’t play Jett, he’s not likely to play Evan (or Kennard) either. Thibs and Mose have very different demeanors, but it seems neither will compromise defense for offense. They’d both rather play 5 defenders unless the player is undeniably prominent (Paolo, Franz, Brunson)
But he plays Ingles, so there is wiggle room for him to play Kennard. Of course if we were to get a Kennard, my assumption is he takes Ingles spot in the rotation as Mose won't have 2 weak defenders

The problem with Jett is that not only is he a weak defender but he has low defensive iq unlike players like Ingles or even Vuc. They usually know where they need to be defensively they are just slow and not athletic enough on the defensive end.

We also play Cole still as well so Mose has some wiggle room for sacrificing defense for "offense".

Sent from my SM-A716U using RealGM mobile app

Ingles' shooting is strong...but it's the least significant thing he brings. I really don't know - but isn't Kennard just a shooter?
JF5
RealGM
And1: 3,917

Post#28 » by JF5 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 6:36 pm

To me he might be hurt... which has affected his confidence. Just like Paolo and just like Wendell, he'll be fine. We all know he's a bucket.
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,151

Post#29 » by Def Swami » Thu Feb 8, 2024 6:46 pm

JT and Dante randomly tossed out how Cole Anthony was playing through a quad contusion during the West Coast trip (can't recall the specific game but it was somewhere between Golden State, Sacramento, and Denver). Dante mentioned how Anthony "is a guy who just needs a week off." When I watch him play, he looks like his burst and lift are both not the same. If he truly had/has a quadriceps contusion and never really took the time to let it heal, then it's not really going to get better. I imagine Anthony is one of those "play through the pain" guys who wouldn't consider sitting out if he could help it. But, I do think he would benefit from the All-Star break off. For a guy his size, any little chip to his athleticism is going to have a bigger impact on his overall play.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 13,029

Post#30 » by MagicMatic » Thu Feb 8, 2024 6:49 pm

Def Swami wrote:JT and Dante randomly tossed out how Cole Anthony was playing through a quad contusion during the West Coast trip (can't recall the specific game but it was somewhere between Golden State, Sacramento, and Denver). Dante mentioned how Anthony "is a guy who just needs a week off." When I watch him play, he looks like his burst and lift are both not the same. If he truly had/has a quadriceps contusion and never really took the time to let it heal, then it's not really going to get better. I imagine Anthony is one of those "play through the pain" guys who wouldn't consider sitting out if he could help it. But, I do think he would benefit from the All-Star break off.

Yeah, that tracks with what I remember. During the Sacramento game he was a DNP because of it and he has looked hurt since.

Jalen Suggs hasnt really been 100% either with his wrist/arm since the Boston game. He holds it during games whenever I've been to the arena. It's obviously bothering him.

Both of these guys are not healthy, playing through injuries, and it is obvious.
Last Guardian
RealGM
And1: 3,964

Post#31 » by Last Guardian » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:08 pm

How often are players like him good? He’s a bad PG and a streaky, undersized scoring guard…great when he goes off but pretty bad the other 80% of the time
IllMagic04
Analyst
And1: 1,812

Post#32 » by IllMagic04 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 8:41 pm

If he's hurt then he needs to sit. He's hurting us right now. Just give Black his minutes until he's healthy. Im still a Cole fan but he's recent play has been horrific

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM Forums mobile app
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 10,033

Post#33 » by KillMonger » Fri Feb 9, 2024 7:44 am

There is that quad issue that may be bothering him.... He may just need this all star break to get back to what was working because if this play continues then he just robbed the front office

Sent from the phone in my hands

Return to Orlando Magic