ImageImageImageImage

Good interview with JI

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, SOUL, ChosenSavior

Redwood
Freshman
And1: 76

Good interview with JI 

Post#1 » by Redwood » Thu Feb 8, 2024 11:53 am

If you don't like black conservatives (many have been conditioned to hate them), you probably won't like this interview but I found it to be very good. JI goes into detail about a number of things, including the reaction his teammates had to him standing for the anthem, and some things people didn't know he was going through while at FSU and as a rookie with the Magic. Figured I'd post it for anyone interested.

fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,050

Re: Good interview with JI 

Post#2 » by fendilim » Thu Feb 8, 2024 2:46 pm

Gotta love a guy with principle
Rainwater
General Manager
And1: 5,916

Post#3 » by Rainwater » Thu Feb 8, 2024 3:05 pm

I have seen these guys and this thread will be interesting. Will depend on your political leanings. It was interesting to hear what happened when he stood and how his teammates reacted.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,956

Post#4 » by basketballRob » Thu Feb 8, 2024 3:21 pm

He's a well-spoken guy, but I don't think it's a good idea to make a thread here based on his political beliefs.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM mobile app
fendilim
RealGM

Post#5 » by fendilim » Thu Feb 8, 2024 3:29 pm

basketballRob wrote:He's a well-spoken guy, but I don't think it's a good idea to make a thread here based on his political beliefs.

Why not?
Rainwater
General Manager

Post#6 » by Rainwater » Thu Feb 8, 2024 3:42 pm

fendilim wrote:
basketballRob wrote:He's a well-spoken guy, but I don't think it's a good idea to make a thread here based on his political beliefs.

Why not?

Two things you generally don’t talk about is religion and politics. These topics typically don’t end well.
fendilim
RealGM

Post#7 » by fendilim » Thu Feb 8, 2024 3:51 pm

Rainwater wrote:
fendilim wrote:

Why not?

Two things you generally don’t talk about is religion and politics. These topics typically don’t end well.

It does if people respect other people’s opinions.
Redwood
Freshman

Post#8 » by Redwood » Thu Feb 8, 2024 4:21 pm

I made the thread based on the interview in general, he talks about a variety of topics. I decided to mention the political leanings of JI (and the guys who run the YT channel) as a fair warning to those who wanted to bash him for being conservative, which black conservatives deal with a lot. Basically, you now know that this video has a conservative leaning so don't watch it and then complain later.

Overall I found it very interesting, and figured others would as well, especially the behind the scenes info about his teammates reaction to his refusal to kneel. It's always interesting to get that kind of info, and get to know the players we root for a little bit better.
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,260

Post#9 » by Blue_and_Whte » Thu Feb 8, 2024 9:05 pm

He’s a great example to anyone who wants to stand up for what they believe in. BLM is a trash organization as is their message I’m glad he’s stood up to them and the expectations society placed on him to fall inline with the hive mind because of the color of his skin. I have two black sons and these are the type of athletes I want them to look up to. Great interview.
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 38,111

Post#10 » by SOUL » Thu Feb 8, 2024 9:14 pm

If this gets too political and personal it will get closed, I'd welcome honest and constructive dialogue but it usually gets heated quickly.

I will say.. I don't like YT channels like these. I definitely lean more liberal on most issues but can't stand grifters on either side. Their first video is them going to a BLM rally and now all of their videos are basically the opposite because it brought in the views. Not that people can't change, they definitely can, but I used to watch a lot of music reactors, and there's a reason why a bunch of music reactors pivoted to watching the same political videos because it got them subs and views. It's not a coincidence if you start seeing other reactors get 50,000+ subs for political reactions while you're floundering. Might as well pretend to be anti-whatever.

They're under no obligation to believe or be on the same side of anything they're watching, even if they pretend to in videos.. just like people can pretend to like music and record it and never give a **** again. Whatever brings in the views/money.
orlando_joe
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,670

Post#11 » by orlando_joe » Thu Feb 8, 2024 9:58 pm

great watch thanks for posting
RichCollab
Starter
And1: 726

Post#12 » by RichCollab » Thu Feb 8, 2024 11:13 pm

Blue_and_Whte wrote:He’s a great example to anyone who wants to stand up for what they believe in. BLM is a trash organization as is their message I’m glad he’s stood up to them and the expectations society placed on him to fall inline with the hive mind because of the color of his skin. I have two black sons and these are the type of athletes I want them to look up to. Great interview.

Why did this lead to trashing BLM? Do we have to get into this here.
Rainwater
General Manager

Post#13 » by Rainwater » Thu Feb 8, 2024 11:23 pm

fendilim wrote:
Rainwater wrote:
fendilim wrote:Why not?

Not many people do sadly.
Redwood
Freshman

Post#14 » by Redwood » Thu Feb 8, 2024 11:50 pm

SOUL wrote:If this gets too political and personal it will get closed, I'd welcome honest and constructive dialogue but it usually gets heated quickly.

I will say.. I don't like YT channels like these. I definitely lean more liberal on most issues but can't stand grifters on either side. Their first video is them going to a BLM rally and now all of their videos are basically the opposite because it brought in the views. Not that people can't change, they definitely can, but I used to watch a lot of music reactors, and there's a reason why a bunch of music reactors pivoted to watching the same political videos because it got them subs and views. It's not a coincidence if you start seeing other reactors get 50,000+ subs for political reactions while you're floundering. Might as well pretend to be anti-whatever.

They're under no obligation to believe or be on the same side of anything they're watching, even if they pretend to in videos.. just like people can pretend to like music and record it and never give a **** again. Whatever brings in the views/money.

I've watched a few dozen videos of theirs, if I had to guess, and they've been pretty consistent with their views. They talk about learning and growing a lot, so perhaps they started off believing one thing and over time have learned maybe what they once believed was never true. All I know is that I don't see any flip flopping in their videos, so they don't appear to be a group that goes wherever the views seem to be.

My main thing is I ordinarily hate interviews with athletes/coaches because it's usually a boring waste of time. It's typically generic coach/player speak and you never really learn anything interesting. Interviews like this are far more interesting because it's more real, much more worthy of being paid attention to IMO.
MagicStarwipe
RealGM
And1: 12,055

Post#15 » by MagicStarwipe » Fri Feb 9, 2024 10:04 am

Rainwater wrote:
fendilim wrote:
Rainwater wrote:

OP said people have been "conditioned" into hating conservatives as if people can't just think for themselves and have a different political viewpoint :lol:
RealGM Classics - Oladipo's "rude" celebration comes back to bite him: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1358414
Redwood
Freshman

Post#16 » by Redwood » Fri Feb 9, 2024 10:27 am

MagicStarwipe wrote:
Rainwater wrote:
fendilim wrote:It does if people respect other people’s opinions.

OP said people have been "conditioned" into hating conservatives as if people can't just think for themselves and have a different political viewpoint :lol:

I said black conservatives, which really isn't up for debate. It's why four conservative black men asked another conservative black man, with their first question, what it was like to do what he did. They know the repercussions for it, and what society EXPECTS from JI given his (and their) skin color.

As for people thinking for themselves, I agree, it's just a coincidence that so many people have views that align perfectly with what's presented on TV. :roll:

Most people have also latched on to the political views stated in the interview, even though the bulk of it had them discussing non-political topics. Someone saying I shouldn't have started the thread, a mod threatening to lock it down if it got too political (and then proceeding to post the most political post in it), and then your comment which took what I said out of context.

It's a good interview, instead of scrambling peoples words around or worrying about the small amount of political dialogue within it, maybe it would've been better to just not watch it at all. If someone starts a topic I don't care about, I don't take part in it. If I don't like a song on the radio, I turn it off. If i don't like a TV show, I don't watch it. This is easy stuff.
MagicStarwipe
RealGM
And1: 12,055

Post#17 » by MagicStarwipe » Fri Feb 9, 2024 1:08 pm

Redwood wrote:
MagicStarwipe wrote:
Rainwater wrote:

I said black conservatives, which really isn't up for debate. It's why four conservative black men asked another conservative black man, with their first question, what it was like to do what he did. They know the repercussions for it, and what society EXPECTS from JI given his (and their) skin color.

As for people thinking for themselves, I agree, it's just a coincidence that so many people have views that align perfectly with what's presented on TV. :roll:

Most people have also latched on to the political views stated in the interview, even though the bulk of it had them discussing non-political topics. Someone saying I shouldn't have started the thread, a mod threatening to lock it down if it got too political (and then proceeding to post the most political post in it), and then your comment which took what I said out of context.

It's a good interview, instead of scrambling peoples words around or worrying about the small amount of political dialogue within it, maybe it would've been better to just not watch it at all. If someone starts a topic I don't care about, I don't take part in it. If I don't like a song on the radio, I turn it off. If i don't like a TV show, I don't watch it. This is easy stuff.

I didn't watch it because I don't really care to hear JI's opinions about anything outside of basketball. Just in here out of curiosity and saw the moral righteousness about how people can't respect others opinions, when the OP is discounting opposing opinions as being "conditioned." And you did it again in this post with "As for people thinking for themselves, I agree, it's just a coincidence that so many people have views that align perfectly with what's presented on TV. :roll: ." Doesn't sound much like respecting others opinions. Sounds like "people who disagree with conservatism just mindlessly agree with the TV man." Anyway, I don't care that much, just felt like making that point.
RealGM Classics - Oladipo's "rude" celebration comes back to bite him: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1358414
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,613

Post#18 » by BadMofoPimp » Fri Feb 9, 2024 1:31 pm

MagicStarwipe wrote:
Rainwater wrote:
fendilim wrote:It does if people respect other people’s opinions.

There are puppets on both sides. Mass media does that to the majority in every country. I have very extremist friends on both sides. Doesn't mean just because I disagree that I respect them less.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
AaronB
Bench Warmer
And1: 637

Post#19 » by AaronB » Fri Feb 9, 2024 4:33 pm

Couldn't finish the video.

It felt more like a fan interaction, and JI sending them swag pre-interview was a turn-off to me.

It doesn't mean any of them are bad people, I just don't find fan interviews interesting.
fendilim
RealGM

Post#20 » by fendilim » Fri Feb 9, 2024 5:05 pm

Just finished the interview.

Gawd… snowflake generation

Return to Orlando Magic