ImageImageImageImage

Official Summer 2024 Magic Free Agency and Trade Ideas Thread 3.0

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,362

Re: Official Summer 2024 Magic Free Agency and Trade Ideas Thread 3.0 

Post#1941 » by Knightro » Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:34 am

basketballRob wrote:Kennard would be the biggest free agent we've landed since Rashard. I do think Memphis would want to pick up the team option and trade for a big like Goga or Wendell.

https://www.espn.com/nba/player/gamelog/_/id/3913174/luke-kennard

:lol:

Rob...

Kennard is not very good.
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,638

Post#1942 » by SOUL » Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:35 am

Why are our fans obsessed with Kennard and Patty Mills? And we want Goga, AB and Jett to have big minutes too? Eesh
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,269

Post#1943 » by eyriq » Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:07 am

SOUL wrote:Why are our fans obsessed with Kennard and Patty Mills? And we want Goga, AB and Jett to have big minutes too? Eesh
AB clears Fultz and Harris, Goga clears WCJ, and Jett...
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#1944 » by SOUL » Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:13 am

eyriq wrote:
SOUL wrote:Why are our fans obsessed with Kennard and Patty Mills? And we want Goga, AB and Jett to have big minutes too? Eesh

Team is 10-0 since with Gary Harris starting since All-Star break. 50/48 in Feb and 47/40 in March. With solid perimeter defense.

AB just isn't adding that this year.

Gary's biggest issue right now is the constant small injuries.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1945 » by eyriq » Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:18 am

SOUL wrote:
eyriq wrote:

Team is 10-0 since with Gary Harris starting since All-Star break. 50/48 in Feb and 47/40 in March. With solid perimeter defense.

Weak schedule boosting that analysis. Don't buy.
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#1946 » by SOUL » Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:33 am

eyriq wrote:
SOUL wrote:
eyriq wrote:AB clears Fultz and Harris, Goga clears WCJ, and Jett...

There is no legit way to argue his 39-46-17 and 31-33-70 averages are helping the team at all right now. Can't even say for better defensive purposes because we're #2 in the league lately.

The fact that you can debate at all if he is playable over Fultz is a big issue right now. He doesn't touch Gary's impact at all so not even debating that because it's frankly debating against homers.

Goga-WCJ is actually debatable based on team matchups, but they're basically similar impact players depending on what you want out of your starting lineup.

EPM isn't a end all, be-all stat, but there's a reason why Fultz, Houstan, Black and Okeke are all swapping around in the 300s. You can interchange those guys, but it ain't really making a difference. AB's big selling point is he has a future here and the others don't, but it's yet to manifest in helping the team win during big playoff stretch games.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1947 » by eyriq » Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:05 am

SOUL wrote:
eyriq wrote:
SOUL wrote:

There is no legit way to argue his 39-46-17 and 31-33-70 averages are helping the team at all right now. Can't even say for better defensive purposes because we're #2 in the league lately.

The fact that you can debate at all if he is playable over Fultz is a big issue right now. He doesn't touch Gary's impact at all so not even debating that because it's frankly debating against homers.

Goga-WCJ is actually debatable based on team matchups, but they're basically similar impact players depending on what you want out of your starting lineup.

EPM isn't a end all, be-all stat, but there's a reason why Fultz, Houstan, Black and Okeke are all swapping around in the 300s. You can interchange those guys, but it ain't really making a difference. AB's big selling point is he has a future here and the others don't, but it's yet to manifest in helping the team win during big playoff stretch games.
Harris sucks by EPM and by everything else. Why bring EPM up?
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#1948 » by SOUL » Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:19 am

It's not fun debating anymore if you're going to ignore everything just because you want to see a rookie play.

Why does he do to deserve to be starting over a guy shooting 50/40 over the last two months while our defense is #2 and our starting lineup is 10-0?

Serious question. I don't think there is an answer because it doesn't exist.

Taking Fultz' minutes? Sure, don't care about that, but they're still both deficient in a lot of areas currently.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1949 » by eyriq » Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:33 am

SOUL wrote:It's not fun debating anymore if you're going to ignore everything just because you want to see a rookie play.

Why does he do to deserve to be starting over a guy shooting 50/40 over the last two months while our defense is #2 and our starting lineup is 10-0?

Taking Fultz' minutes? Sure, don't care about that, but they're still both deficient in a lot of areas currently.
Harris is historically mid. Harris is historically injury prone. We run out good starting lineups around Suggs, Franz, and Paolo because our young core is GOAT material. Harris isn't moving the needle, he just isn't. There is nothing to suggest Harris is a starting quality guard in this league.
Rainwater
General Manager
And1: 5,644

Post#1950 » by Rainwater » Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:00 am

SOUL wrote:It's not fun debating anymore if you're going to ignore everything just because you want to see a rookie play.

I have said this many times but fans have their favorite players and will advocate for them regardless how well or poorly the team is playing. Years past it was Fultz and AG now it seems like Black and lesser degree Goga.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1951 » by eyriq » Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:07 am

Rainwater wrote:

I have said this many times but fans have their favorite players and will advocate for them regardless how well or poorly the team is playing. Years past it was Fultz and AG now it seems like Black and lesser degree Goga.
I mean, I'm not really a player fan, I'm a fan of common sense. I'd rather play our 6th pick rookie over inconsequential players like Harris and Fultz. Also, stats and the eye ball say Goga makes us better than WCJ does. I don't really think I'm going out on any limb here. I get why we're not playing Goga, Wendell Carter Jr's on a controllable contract. But Harris and Fultz are on expiring deals and don't make us appreciably better than playing AB does.
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#1952 » by SOUL » Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:12 am

I mean, I agree. He's a stop-gap SG that is best served off the bench on most teams. But he's our best, steadiest option right now. It just works with our starting lineup. He has actual respect as a three point shooter and is shooting them way better the last half of this year.

Analytics agree as well. Per 100 possessions we have a 122 ORTG with Harris and 108 with Black, with similar (113/114) DRTG. That's a massive difference.

Like I said.. Fultz/AB is actually debatable and makes sense. But if we're talking Harris/AB, team record, advanced stats and the eye test shows it just works.

If we were not going for the playoffs, obviously I'd be like previous years advocating for our young guys to play the most minutes they can.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1953 » by eyriq » Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:14 am

Black has more sweater vest points than Harris and Fultz, combined. Goga has more sweater vest points than WCJ. The vest don't lie.

I rest my case.

Mosley is prioritizing Harris and Fultz over AB and WCJ over Goga because of political/cultural considerations. AB's time will come, I trust Mosley. Goga's fate is in WePark's hands.
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#1954 » by SOUL » Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:19 am

eyriq wrote: I mean, I'm not really a player fan, I'm a fan of common sense. I'd rather play our 6th pick rookie over inconsequential players like Harris and Fultz. Also, stats and the eye ball say Goga makes us better than WCJ does. I don't really think I'm going out on any limb here. I get why we're not playing Goga, Wendell Carter Jr's on a controllable contract. But Harrisand Fultzare on expiring deals and don't make us appreciably better than playing AB does.

These are paradoxical statements. 122 vs 108 ORTG is massive for an offensive starved team. Gary's stats last year and this year just show that he works with the starting unit for whatever reason. Players play better and the team record is better.

If we're talking pound for pound ceiling and game-to-game eye-test, Gary is kind of just eh. But he's been shooting well, especially recently, has some gravity out there, underrated defender, just knows where to be on the court on both sides.

Small things like that mean a lot.

And this is coming from someone who wants to upgrade his spot in the offseason. I wouldn't mind seeing him off the bench for spot minutes, but probably more worth it to see what becomes of Jett.
CarraT
Senior
And1: 189

Post#1955 » by CarraT » Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:39 am

p0peye wrote:It might be too early for max FA signing like we did we Rashard back in 2007, but bringing someone who improves PG spot is definitively a right move. Trading for Dejounte Murray or even signing D'Angelo Russell might be in the books. I am not opposed to bring vets like Jrue Holiday, Paul George or hack even James Harden if numbers match.

Too early for a big FA signing? So you want to wait until we don’t have capspace anymore, because we paid Suggs, Franz, Paolo, and do it then? How, without capspace?
Rainwater
General Manager
And1: 5,644

Post#1956 » by Rainwater » Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:22 am

eyriq wrote:
Rainwater wrote:

I mean, I'm not really a player fan, I'm a fan of common sense. I'd rather play our 6th pick rookie over inconsequential players like Harris and Fultz. Also, stats and the eye ball say Goga makes us better than WCJ does. I don't really think I'm going out on any limb here. I get why we're not playing Goga, Wendell Carter Jr's on a controllable contract. But Harris and Fultz are on expiring deals and don't make us appreciably better than playing AB does.

It’s not you in particular but something I see in general. The team is winning yet people are still want this Goga and Black lineup. And when there is any sign of trouble it’s because Goga and Black aren’t playing.

Black might be a good player in the future but right now he is just not ready. Even though Harris and Fultz are stop gap players there is very little chance Black is going to play since the Magic are winning.

While Goga is good defensive player WCJ is just a better offensive player. With the fact the Magic are already a good defensive team with WCJ on the court and along with long term contract that WCJ signed Goga just won’t see the floor.

People may want it but as long as the Magic are winning the Black and Goga lineup is not happening. And if I were being honest, Goga is likely gone and unless he some Suggs like improvement I wouldn’t be shocked if Black is traded to bring in some perimeter shooting in the near future.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,454

Post#1957 » by Bensational » Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:18 am

eyriq wrote:I mean, I'm not really a player fan, I'm a fan of common sense. I'd rather play our 6th pick rookie over inconsequential players like Harris and Fultz. Also, stats and the eye ball say Goga makes us better than WCJ does. I don't really think I'm going out on any limb here. I get why we're not playing Goga, Wendell Carter Jr's on a controllable contract. But Harris and Fultz are on expiring deals and don't make us appreciably better than playing AB does.

I’m obviously a fellow Green Goblins supporter, but you’re sleeping on how good Harris has been lately. We gotta hope him and Suggs stay hot if we want those 50 wins.

I think the reason Fultz is getting minutes over AB is because Mosley is anticipating needing a strong ball handler to go to if the playoff defenses prove too much for Paolo and Franz. Even though Fultz isn’t giving us much more than that, he can definitely get into the paint at will with his handles. Nobody else on the team offers that.

I hope AB gets some more run down the stretch and in the post season, just for the experience and introduction.
p0peye
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,002

Post#1958 » by p0peye » Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:41 am

CarraT wrote:
p0peye wrote:It might be too early for max FA signing like we did we Rashard back in 2007, but bringing someone who improves PG spot is definitively a right move. Trading for Dejounte Murray or even signing D'Angelo Russell might be in the books. I am not opposed to bring vets like Jrue Holiday, Paul George or hack even James Harden if numbers match.

Too early for a big FA signing? So you want to wait until we don’t have capspace anymore, because we paid Suggs, Franz, Paolo, and do it then? How, without capspace?

Franz's and Suggs' extensions are going to be effective for 2025-26 season, so it is not impossible to preserve a max slot next offseason as well when FA class seems to have more guard talent like Brunson, Mitchell, Derrick White, maybe Kyrie as well. I don't think we absolutely must have a big signing this summer, but we should take opportunity if it presents itself.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,723

Post#1959 » by basketballRob » Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:55 am

Knightro wrote:
basketballRob wrote:Kennard would be the biggest free agent we've landed since Rashard. I do think Memphis would want to pick up the team option and trade for a big like Goga or Wendell.

Rob...

If he can stay healthy, he's a top 5 shooter in the NBA. He can also handle the ball and pass. His defense isn't terrible. His salary would be just a little more than what Ingles and Harris get. Kennard would be a bench player likely. We could buy low, and if he played like he did on the Clippers, it would pay off. I think part of the reason he hasn't played much the last couple of years is that the Grizzlies have been out of contention. Imagine having a player that shoots 3-6 threes per game, replacing Fultz and making a lower salary.

Have we signed a better player than him since Rashard?

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM mobile app
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,635

Post#1960 » by Skybox » Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:42 am

Knightro wrote:

:lol:

Rob...

Simons’ defense would sink ORL, but Kennard?

Aim higher, Rob

Return to Orlando Magic