ImageImageImageImage

Official Summer 2024 Magic Free Agency and Trade Ideas Thread 3.0

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,111

Re: Official Summer 2024 Magic Free Agency and Trade Ideas Thread 3.0 

Post#1921 » by tiderulz » Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:41 pm

JoshuaPotter wrote:
Knightro wrote:
Read on Twitter

Go get him this summer?

You really like him. What is up with that?

If we didn't have Suggs and some interesting draft picks behind us then maybe.

My bigger challenge is Suggs + Franz + Paolo + Murray shouldn't leave any cap room is my guess.

thats always going to be the challenge with talented teams. Look at the money spent on Brown/Tatum/Kristaps/Jrue. but then you fill the team with MLE's, draft picks, etc.
byeganyo
Junior
And1: 114

Post#1922 » by byeganyo » Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:42 pm

Skybox wrote:
basketballRob wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
Grizzlies have 32% chance at drafting top 4. They can get more than Wendell, who they also don't need ( Jaren Jackson).

Not sure who would *need* Wendell. Maybe Warriors, Suns & Hornets.

But i don't really think we need to trade Wendell, he is being scapegoated for kind a fluky streak of wins with Goga.
During 9 games winning streak, 6 wins were against teams below .500. Add to that win against Boston without Holiday and one half of Porzingis & Nuggets win without Jamal Murray and you get better picture of that streak.

Or in same streak, against Bulls, when he had 2 points, 4 fouls, 4 rebounds,, Black has 2 points, 0 assists , but we win, and everybody just has collective loss of memory of that game where we won only and just only because we outscore Bulls bench with our own 51-8 ( as bench scores 51 out of 103 points for us).
Jackson has almost exclusively played PF prior to this season. They've traded Adams and Tillman. They are definitely in the market for a center. The Grizzlies are near the luxury tax already. It'll be interesting what they do.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM mobile app

I would add OKC and SAS to the WCJ list...I think he could contribute just about anywhere...but I really like the fit next to a slimmer, more finesse/skill Center. WCJ can add muscle on one end and spread the floor...also, can give quality minutes at 4/5. I'm happy to keep WCJ - but he seems like the most valuable, expendable, versatile win-now piece we could offer in a deal.

I'd add GSW. I could see him as part of an ATL deal too...if they were moving out Capela. WCJ could play with Okongwu, but also share time at C....again, not many places he couldn't play a role. I like WCJ on a lot of other rosters more than his fit with ORL.

Wendell to OKC for some of their picks (they have too many to keep), which we then send to third team for a shooter is the most realistic scenario.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,265

Post#1923 » by eyriq » Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:49 pm

Imagine if Trae is actually a superstar. He's the ALL-TIME buy low candidate. I wouldn't pull the trigger but if we do you know Imma start talking foolish.
MartinsIzAfraud
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,118

Post#1924 » by MartinsIzAfraud » Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:27 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:And, some people wanted Tyus instead . . .

I would given 3 1sts and Fultz for Dejounte.

Tyus could've been a cheap solution to see what this team looks like with an NBA level PG. Murray was an extremely unobtainable option and probably still is now.

Regardless we need a PG badly
A scoring guard.. never heard of one. :roll:
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,981

Post#1925 » by MagicMatic » Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:48 pm

eyriq wrote:Imagine if Trae is actually a superstar. He's the ALL-TIME buy low candidate. I wouldn't pull the trigger but if we do you know Imma start talking foolish.

Assuming Suggs isn’t thrown into whatever ridiculous trade for Trae looks like… is he alone capable of alleviating Trae’s porous defense?

Aside from the Warriors with Curry, I don’t think guys with his profile ever win anything.
OrlChamps2030
General Manager
And1: 4,160

Post#1926 » by OrlChamps2030 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:54 pm

MagicMatic wrote:
eyriq wrote:Imagine if Trae is actually a superstar. He's the ALL-TIME buy low candidate. I wouldn't pull the trigger but if we do you know Imma start talking foolish.

Assuming Suggs isn’t thrown into whatever ridiculous trade for Trae looks like… is he alone capable of alleviating Trae’s porous defense?

Aside from the Warriors with Curry, I don’t think guys with his profile ever win anything.

Kyrie?

In Trae’s defense, his defense has improved this year.. from really bad to below average

I think Suggs could carry Trae on the defensive end but honestly Trae is so high USG I don’t see it happening here.. unless Franz gets moved ( :o )
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,190

Post#1927 » by cedric76 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:28 pm

Trae is fool's gold

He isn't a winning player

Hard pass
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go
Offer Harris and goga a 1+1 deal

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic

Suggs, AB, Carter
Monk, Jett, Harris
Franz, Jett, Houstan
Paolo, Moe, (Cole trade)
Wcj, JI, goga
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1928 » by eyriq » Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:30 pm

cedric76 wrote:

Trae is fool's gold

He isn't a winning player

Hard pass
you are probably right
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,602

Post#1929 » by BadMofoPimp » Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:36 pm

MasterGMer wrote:
BadMofoPimp wrote:And, some people wanted Tyus instead . . .

I would given 3 1sts and Fultz for Dejounte.

Man, 1 FRP from Lakers plus Austin Reaves could get it done. Why giving up 3 1sts? :roll:

Because, a top 10 PG who makes only $18mil per while playing both exceptional offense and defense is worth it for this team and could take them to the next level, a contender.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
JoshuaPotter
Starter
And1: 681

Post#1930 » by JoshuaPotter » Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:39 pm

MagicMatic wrote:

if P + F + anything that resembles an NBA PG = .500 ball.

Thoughts :
- Where are we at in that now formula now? Is Suggs "anything that resembles an NBA PG" or is Paolo?
- Where does Trae put us beyond the .500 ball
- What cost will it take to implement Trae
- We are a defensive identity, so if Trae costs us defensive players we are just "taking a step backwards" we become a different team identity altogether.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,981

Post#1931 » by MagicMatic » Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:50 pm

JoshuaPotter wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:

Thoughts :
- Where are we at in that now formula now? Is Suggs "anything that resembles an NBA PG" or is Paolo?
- We are a defensive identity, so if Trae costs us defensive players we are just "taking a step backwards" we become a different team identity altogether.

I think it would be difficult to move any of Paolo - Franz - Isaac - Suggs IMO for what Mosely is trying to accomplish. I don't think those guys are on the table at all, nor should they be in reality.

I do agree though that the two biggest needs are primarily a legitimate point guard, until Black shows he can step up, AND a defensive minded Center that picks up the slack for Paolo without giving up offensive possessions + multiple turnovers a game.

The latter could be addressed in the draft IMO. Someone like Ware or Comche can fill that need. Centers that are worth a damn are ridiculously expensive and entirely situational based on what their current role happens to be. I'd move Carter for Forward or PG bench depth and draft someone under a rookie deal while retaining Goga + Moe. Thats just a better use of assets.

I'd hold my breath for the FO to address the former problem as they probably think its something that can be solved over multiple years of waiting around OR that they can just roll out Suggs + another SG in the interim.
JoshuaPotter
Starter

Post#1932 » by JoshuaPotter » Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:58 pm

MagicMatic wrote:
JoshuaPotter wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:

Thoughts :

I think it would be difficult to move any of Paolo - Franz - Isaac - Suggs IMO for what Mosely is trying to accomplish. I don't think those guys are on the table at all, nor should they be in reality.

I do agree though that the two biggest needs are primarily a legitimate point guard, until Black shows he can step up, AND a defensive minded Center that picks up the slack for Paolo without giving up offensive possessions + multiple turnovers a game.

The latter could be addressed in the draft IMO. Someone like Ware or Comanche can fill that need. Centers that are worth a damn are ridiculously expensive and entirely situational based on what their current role happens to be. I'd move Carter for Forward or PG bench depth and draft someone under a rookie deal while retaining Goga + Moe. Thats just a better use of assets.

I'd hold my breath for the FO to address the former problem as they probably think its something that can be solved over multiple years of waiting around OR that they can just roll out Suggs + another SG in the interim.

I honestly see G. Harris current play as playing him back into a front loaded contract for a "changing of the guard" kinda moment.

See where the trio of Suggs / Blacks / J Howard / and rotating head monster if we include Houstan develops into.

:banghead:

Thank Gawd no additional Michigan players are in this draft.....
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,111

Post#1933 » by tiderulz » Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:48 pm

i dont believe Trae is a superstar, but i dont throw that title around either
JoshuaPotter
Starter

Post#1934 » by JoshuaPotter » Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:58 pm

tiderulz wrote:

i dont believe Trae is a superstar, but i dont throw that title around either

I was thinking about this the other day.

Aaron Gordon looked mighty "meh" at times until he was paired with Jokic in a role he could thrive in.

I do wonder, if our roster has the raw talent to contend as-is or do we need to make a move. The challenge is you can't make a move for a side grade per say. Remember the Lewis FA acquisition where we got him and instantly started title runs.

All the people quoted here either don't move the needle enough to make me feel it puts us into contention.

I would be interested in the right trade that sends the Wagners packing, but otherwise, they are untouchable and key role players / 2nd option of the F+ F = P+F.
p0peye
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,002

Post#1935 » by p0peye » Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:14 pm

It might be too early for max FA signing like we did we Rashard back in 2007, but bringing someone who improves PG spot is definitively a right move. Trading for Dejounte Murray or even signing D'Angelo Russell might be in the books. I am not opposed to bring vets like Jrue Holiday, Paul George or hack even James Harden if numbers match.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1936 » by eyriq » Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:39 pm

Here's my read on the front office's motivations, which is relevant for anticipating their next moves.

1. They value continuity. We've seen them run it back more often than not.
2. They promote from within. Suggs earned a starter role.
3. They provide players a fair shake at opportunity. Harris and Fultz are in the rotation even though they are expiring deals and the team drafted Jett and AB.
4. They don't skip steps and are committed to an organic build. This is a summary of the prior three points.

What this implies for this off-season is that they will avoid blocking AB and Jett with long-term commitments to free agent guards. They aren't going to look to accelerate this build with a long-term commitment to a free agent guard.

I think most of our growth will continue to come from player development. I suspect most signings will be of the 1 & 1 type deals that re-tool our role player rotation.

Edit: I just don't think they'll use pre-extension cap space on a long-term deal, and instead it'll go into those shorter 1&1 type deals.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,632

Post#1937 » by Skybox » Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:59 pm

I'm all for Dejounte...he's on a bargain deal, that makes him even more valuable and worthy of a trade package.

Something relatively new back in the equation is Isaac. He's got one more year, but I'm not thinking there will be any big discounts agreed to-considering how he's performing and his direct impact on winning Basketball.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,722

Post#1938 » by basketballRob » Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:36 pm

Kennard would be the biggest free agent we've landed since Rashard. I do think Memphis would want to pick up the team option and trade for a big like Goga or Wendell.

https://www.espn.com/nba/player/gamelog/_/id/3913174/luke-kennard

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM mobile app
DiplomaticMagic
Head Coach
And1: 2,516

Post#1939 » by DiplomaticMagic » Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:00 am

Im starting to get on train to sign Hartenstein in free agency. And use Wendell and draft capital for a guard.

I think Harteinstein makes more impact and isnt as much of a liability as Claxton.

And I dont like any of the guards in free agency.
STOP PLAYING FULTZ
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,729

Post#1940 » by thelead » Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:17 am

DiplomaticMagic wrote:Im starting to get on train to sign Hartenstein in free agency. And use Wendell and draft capital for a guard.

I think Harteinstein makes more impact and isnt as much of a liability as Claxton.

And I dont like any of the guards in free agency.

Jrue Holiday is worth going after but I agree with the rest of your comment. I doubt Jrue would be interested so signing IHart and trading WCJ is the move that we should make if Jrue has no interest IMO.

Return to Orlando Magic