ImageImageImageImage

Official Summer 2024 Magic Free Agency and Trade Ideas Thread 3.0

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,298

Re: Official Summer 2024 Magic Free Agency and Trade Ideas Thread 3.0 

Post#1961 » by pepe1991 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:50 am

Jeff Green was bigger FA singing than Kennard would be. Sure, he arived with zero desire to play defense and all that but name vise, he was well established player.
Ditto to Aminu. Aminu was starter on deep playoff teams.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,635

Post#1962 » by Skybox » Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:59 am

p0peye wrote:
CarraT wrote:
p0peye wrote:It might be too early for max FA signing like we did we Rashard back in 2007, but bringing someone who improves PG spot is definitively a right move. Trading for Dejounte Murray or even signing D'Angelo Russell might be in the books. I am not opposed to bring vets like Jrue Holiday, Paul George or hack even James Harden if numbers match.

Too early for a big FA signing? So you want to wait until we don’t have capspace anymore, because we paid Suggs, Franz, Paolo, and do it then? How, without capspace?

Franz's and Suggs' extensions are going to be effective for 2025-26 season, so it is not impossible to preserve a max slot next offseason as well when FA class seems to have more guard talent like Brunson, Mitchell, Derrick White, maybe Kyrie as well. I don't think we absolutely must have a big signing this summer, but we should take opportunity if it presents itself.

Ideally, from a financial perspective, we send out some salary for our big fish -if it’s this summer. Cole (& maybe WCJ)makes the most sense as he likely loses the most PT among the guys under contract (this is assuming Black proves he’s not a DNP guy). Just to give a little more breathing room as the big extensions start rolling…could even be traded for picks, if our main work is in FA. Hopefully, Ingles discovers the gym and stays ambulatory enough to keep him another year…One big backcourt acquisition with a contract and then short-term vets to round out the depth. Despite our large expiring salary number, we still have guys in that salary class (including Mo Wags) that could become difficult to keep as our top guys get the large salary slots. Isaac, Franz, Suggs, Paolo and New Guy will be a significant chunk of the cap. Franz & Suggs might be a little more contentious negotiations than we’d like -as Weltman looks ahead. Hopefully, they sign quickly and reasonably, allowing the team to still improve as they do. 2nd contract isn’t necessarily the mother lode- these guys are still very young and have a long way to go yet.

A guy like Isaac, on the other hand, can’t risk leaving much money on the table. His value is significant and he and his agency (and pastor) know it could end any day. Paolo is max. Period. Ascending superstar.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,723

Post#1963 » by basketballRob » Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:21 am

Skybox wrote:
Knightro wrote:
basketballRob wrote:Kennard would be the biggest free agent we've landed since Rashard. I do think Memphis would want to pick up the team option and trade for a big like Goga or Wendell.

https://www.espn.com/nba/player/gamelog/_/id/3913174/luke-kennard

Rob...

Kennard is not very good.

Simons’ defense would sink ORL, but Kennard?

Aim higher, Rob
Kennard would be half the price. We could re-sign Goga, Harris, and possibly another mid level player on top of signing Kennard.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM mobile app
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,635

Post#1964 » by Skybox » Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:28 am

basketballRob wrote:
Skybox wrote:
Knightro wrote:

Rob...

Kennard is not very good.

Aim higher, Rob
Kennard would be half the price. We could re-sign Goga and possibly another mid level player.

I’d rather have one REALLY GOOD player than a roster full of individual bargains. Kennard would be an improvement but, imo, barely move the team needle. We have an opportunity to do big things this summer to build upon the big things the team has done this season. Our finances, youthful core, and team progress created a uniquely positive situation that’s not to be wasted- unless ownership has a mandate not to spend more than is needed to sell just enough tickets and beer to make a little profit.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,112

Post#1965 » by tiderulz » Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:43 am

Skybox wrote:
basketballRob wrote:
Skybox wrote:

Aim higher, Rob
Kennard would be half the price. We could re-sign Goga and possibly another mid level player.

I’d rather have one REALLY GOOD player than a roster full of individual bargains. Kennard would be an improvement but, imo, barely move the team needle. We have an opportunity to do big things this summer to build upon the big things the team has done this season. Our finances, youthful core, and team progress created a uniquely positive situation that’s not to be wasted- unless ownership has a mandate not to spend more than is needed to sell just enough tickets and beer to make a little profit.

thats how i feel. find those great bargains after we get the final piece of the core. Paolo/Wagner/Suggs/???? no reason to search out a bargain contract yet
RichCollab
Starter
And1: 663

Post#1966 » by RichCollab » Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:50 am

tiderulz wrote:
Skybox wrote:
basketballRob wrote:Kennard would be half the price. We could re-sign Goga and possibly another mid level player.

thats how i feel. find those great bargains after we get the final piece of the core. Paolo/Wagner/Suggs/???? no reason to search out a bargain contract yet

JI is going to need money. I now don’t see any big signings by us.
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#1967 » by basketballRob » Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:59 am

RichCollab wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
Skybox wrote:

If the Knicks give big contracts to OG and Hartenstein, I'd offer a mid level deal to Anchiuwa.

tiderulz
RealGM

Post#1968 » by tiderulz » Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:36 pm

basketballRob wrote:
RichCollab wrote:
tiderulz wrote:thats how i feel. find those great bargains after we get the final piece of the core. Paolo/Wagner/Suggs/???? no reason to search out a bargain contract yet

If the Knicks give big contracts to OG and Hartenstein, I'd offer a mid level deal to Anchiuwa.

so what do we do about the PG situation? just add more bigs?
MartinsIzAfraud
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,118

Post#1969 » by MartinsIzAfraud » Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:57 pm

tiderulz wrote:
basketballRob wrote:
RichCollab wrote:

continue to ignore it duhh :lol: :lol:
A scoring guard.. never heard of one. :roll:
JoshuaPotter
Starter
And1: 681

Post#1970 » by JoshuaPotter » Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:05 pm

MartinsIzAfraud wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
basketballRob wrote:If the Knicks give big contracts to OG and Hartenstein, I'd offer a mid level deal to Anchiuwa.

We drafted a PG in Suggs, Paolo, and AB.

We got PG on lockdown......
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#1971 » by tiderulz » Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:06 pm

JoshuaPotter wrote:
MartinsIzAfraud wrote:
tiderulz wrote:so what do we do about the PG situation? just add more bigs?

Paolo isnt a PG. honestly, neither is Suggs. jury remains out on AB and his PG skills. And if we run Suggs at PG, then we need a SG upgrade, not a 3rd big man that we can pick up whenever
JoshuaPotter
Starter

Post#1972 » by JoshuaPotter » Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:09 pm

tiderulz wrote:
JoshuaPotter wrote:
MartinsIzAfraud wrote:continue to ignore it duhh :lol: :lol:

Paolo isnt a PG. honestly, neither is Suggs. jury remains out on AB and his PG skills. And if we run Suggs at PG, then we need a SG upgrade, not a 3rd big man that we can pick up whenever

Who leads in assists? Paolo. That won't change.

If we run Suggs at PG, then AB/J Howard is our SG.

MOAR bigs.

Some of this is green front but I don't play with that feature often enough to justify the time it would take....
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,268

Post#1973 » by eyriq » Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:11 pm

tiderulz wrote:
basketballRob wrote:
RichCollab wrote:

Probably spend our lottery pick on the position...
JoshuaPotter
Starter

Post#1974 » by JoshuaPotter » Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:12 pm

eyriq wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
basketballRob wrote:If the Knicks give big contracts to OG and Hartenstein, I'd offer a mid level deal to Anchiuwa.

This means the last 4 1st round picks will be on PG.

It's a strategy that can't possibly fail!
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1975 » by eyriq » Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:19 pm

JoshuaPotter wrote:
eyriq wrote:
tiderulz wrote:so what do we do about the PG situation? just add more bigs?

You were supposed to ask "what lottery pick?". And then I say, "oh wait, we already did that, do you know Anthony Black?". And then people realize we've already addressed the PG position and stop with the silly "we are ignoring the need" stuff since we obviously aren't.
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#1976 » by tiderulz » Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:22 pm

eyriq wrote:
JoshuaPotter wrote:
eyriq wrote:Probably spend our lottery pick on the position...

You were supposed to ask "what lottery pick?". And then I say, "oh wait, we already did that, do you know Anthony Black?". And then people realize we've already addressed the PG position and stop with the silly "we are ignoring the need" stuff since we obviously aren't.

Black looks a few years away from being a quality starting PG. Im not saying we need to draft one, but we are wasting time using subpar PG's or waiting years hoping a drafted player grows into a solid PG.

and you can look at the offense and see that it isnt addressed.
JoshuaPotter
Starter

Post#1977 » by JoshuaPotter » Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:25 pm

eyriq wrote:
JoshuaPotter wrote:
eyriq wrote:Probably spend our lottery pick on the position...

Were sorry. Alt CHATGPT monthly subscription is past due. For better responses. Please upgrade to our 19.99 per month alt fee.

"Want to make sure you have alt responses that are a slam dunk? Upgrade to 19.99 chatgpt alt! Same IP spoofing as our free version. With all this sassyness and less smooth brain responses of our free version. Convert everyone on the forum to your side in 6 months or the 7th month is free!"

*must pay 6 months in a row, account suspensions do not count, not available in Hong Kong, China, Great Britian, Canada, Caman Islands, or anywhere free speech gets awkward silence / arresting. Mongolian version Patten pending.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1978 » by eyriq » Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:39 pm

tiderulz wrote:
eyriq wrote:
JoshuaPotter wrote:

Black looks a few years away from being a quality starting PG. Im not saying we need to draft one, but we are wasting time using subpar PG's or waiting years hoping a drafted player grows into a solid PG.

and you can look at the offense and see that it isnt addressed.

"Black looks a few years away"
Looks ready to me, now

"Wasting time using subpar PGs"
Fultz is a waste of time, Suggs isn't.

"Look at the offense and see it isn't addressed"
Franz and Paolo are the offensive engines and will be going forward. As they go offensively so goes the offense. For better or worse, our offense is built around 2 6'10 playmakers.
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#1979 » by basketballRob » Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:49 pm

The Magic are probably going to sign role players this summer.

eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1980 » by eyriq » Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:52 pm

basketballRob wrote:The Magic are probably going to sign role players this summer.

Yeah, this is what I think

Return to Orlando Magic