ImageImageImageImage

What's up for the rest of the season?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,639

What's up for the rest of the season? 

Post#1 » by Skybox » Thu Feb 8, 2024 11:21 pm

Our FO has shown that they think this team is hard to improve. So, it looks like we are who we are - at least until summer. Presently 27-24, in the 8th seed, with a favorable schedule ahead and very good health at the moment...what do you expect the rest of the season to look like?

I think we could realistically go 18-13 if we maintain good health, Cole and Suggs find their shot, Isaac plays like an (ineligible) DPOY, and Paolo & Franz continue their excellent play. That's a very strong 45 wins - which I consider attainable and maybe a stretch.

That likely gets us a 5th or 6th seed and a date with CLE or NY or maybe MIA, if they make a run. We lose because it's not that hard to scheme for a team with unreliable backcourt scoring. Perhaps Paolo & Franz look really good and put up big numbers and everyone goes home excited about next year (and forgets what could have been if we added at the TD). Maybe Suggs and/or Cole have a good shooting night or two and we take it to 6 games.

*Vision B...We sign Dinwiddie after he's bought out and he is an inspired revelation who plays like he did for a young BRK team a few years ago. We bring up Jett Howard and he quickly asserts himself as a reliable long-range, high-volume bomber and he replaces Harris and Cole in the rotation. Anthony Black also takes a leap and largely replaces Ingles in the rotation, defending 1-4 and running the second unit with intensity and pace. Jett Black becomes a great story in the NBA, despite the slow start. Dinwiddie makes it clear that he loves this team and the future he envisions in ORL and he can't sign an extension quickly enough. and they lived happily ever after.
The-Stallion70
Rookie
And1: 400

Re: What's up for the rest of the season? 

Post#2 » by The-Stallion70 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 11:29 pm

Huge bonuses for Welt and Martins once we lose our play in game
thelead wrote:I have a memory like an elephant.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,302

Post#3 » by eyriq » Thu Feb 8, 2024 11:36 pm

B-R sim has us finishing 18-13.
ESPN BPI has us finishing 16-15.

B-R sim has the top 6 floor at 45 wins
ESPN BPI has the floor at 44 wins

So we are pretty much projected to be right on bubble for the 6th seed
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 10,034

Post#4 » by KillMonger » Fri Feb 9, 2024 12:10 am

make the play-in/off....then get smashed by a team that packs the paint and plays a zone defense now and then....no surprises here...unless we all of a sudden learn how to shoot the ball
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,381

Post#5 » by Knightro » Fri Feb 9, 2024 12:15 am

I think the Magic will end up with something like 43 wins and the 7 seed.

They will advance out of the play in with a home victory over whoever, and then they will lose in 4 or 5 to the 2nd seeded Cavaliers.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by eyriq » Fri Feb 9, 2024 12:26 am

I think we win 52
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,636

Post#7 » by Skin » Fri Feb 9, 2024 12:42 am

Weltman already feels like he won. When the season ends, Weltman will spin it like we exceeded expectations and our future is bright. Therefore improvements don't need to come from outside and no big names signings will happen. We do have that Denver 1st though!
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
jibba jones
Junior
And1: 115

Post#8 » by jibba jones » Fri Feb 9, 2024 1:37 am

6th seed. 5th if the Sixers cant compete without Embiid....
bela lugosi is dead
byeganyo
Junior
And1: 114

Post#9 » by byeganyo » Fri Feb 9, 2024 1:55 am

the best thing that can happen to this team is to win the title. the second best thing is to get back in lottery and then stumble upon a pg, who can shoot and pass, because there is no other way to improve the roster...
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by eyriq » Fri Feb 9, 2024 2:11 am

byeganyo wrote:the best thing that can happen to this team is to win the title. the second best thing is to get back in lottery and then stumble upon a pg, who can shoot and pass, because there is no other way to improve the roster...
We have spent 5 lotto picks in the past 3 seasons, two of them we spent on PGs. We good mate
byeganyo
Junior
And1: 114

Post#11 » by byeganyo » Fri Feb 9, 2024 2:51 am

eyriq wrote:
byeganyo wrote:the best thing that can happen to this team is to win the title. the second best thing is to get back in lottery and then stumble upon a pg, who can shoot and pass, because there is no other way to improve the roster...
We have spent 5 lotto picks in the past 3 seasons, two of them we spent on PGs. We good mate

i was trying sarcasm, but really rinse and repeat is the name of the game. Suggs is a SG now, Black can end up being SF who knows, so lets spin the wheel one more time.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,639

Post#12 » by Skybox » Fri Feb 9, 2024 2:58 am

byeganyo wrote:
eyriq wrote:

i was trying sarcasm, but really rinse and repeat is the name of the game. Suggs is a SG now, Black can end up being SF who knows, so lets spin the wheel one more time.

Spin it until we get it right
flying_mollusk
Sixth Man
And1: 798

Post#13 » by flying_mollusk » Fri Feb 9, 2024 5:48 am

eyriq wrote:B-R sim has us finishing 18-13.

We could see a 10+ game improvement, have the best record since Dwight left, and do this with our best players being 22 or under....pretty depressing.

Keep the timeframe of the last successful Magic rebuild in mind.

Draft Dwight, miss playoffs in his first two years, make playoffs in his third year, get knocked out in round 1, make big splash acquisition in offseason, win 50 games, then become a contender.

This year would be year 3 of Franz and Suggs.
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,189

Post#14 » by Optimus_Steel » Fri Feb 9, 2024 6:15 am

Philly is catchable at the moment although the two games we’ve lost to them are not helping matters in case of a tie. NY is a possibility if they stumble. Would be nice to finish 6th and avoid play in.
aka: prorl
JoshuaPotter
Starter
And1: 681

Post#15 » by JoshuaPotter » Fri Feb 9, 2024 5:46 pm

I'd have to look at the schedule but assuming we win "most of the games we should" I expect 45+.
RichCollab
Starter
And1: 665

Post#16 » by RichCollab » Fri Feb 9, 2024 5:54 pm

Skin wrote:Weltman already feels like he won. When the season ends, Weltman will spin it like we exceeded expectations and our future is bright. Therefore improvements don't need to come from outside and no big names signings will happen. We do have that Denver 1st though!

This season is a success unless we go on big losing streak.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by eyriq » Fri Feb 9, 2024 6:11 pm

flying_mollusk wrote:
eyriq wrote:B-R sim has us finishing 18-13.

We could see a 10+ game improvement, have the best record since Dwight left, and do this with our best players being 22 or under....pretty depressing.

Keep the timeframe of the last successful Magic rebuild in mind.

Draft Dwight, miss playoffs in his first two years, make playoffs in his third year, get knocked out in round 1, make big splash acquisition in offseason, win 50 games, then become a contender.

This year would be year 3 of Franz and Suggs.
That's a great parallel. We are trending in the right direction and at the right pace. The Howard build had some coaching & executive changes and a big free agent signing in Lewis before it took off in year 4. I don't think the journey will be nearly as tumultuous this time around.

Hedo, Dwight, and Nelson were added in year 1, Lewis in year 4. It only had three lotto picks selected by the Magic; Dwight, Fran, and Redick, and Redick was never leaned on and Fran never came over.

This rebuild feels much better. We have stability with our executive and coach and are flush with lotto talent.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 13,031

Post#18 » by MagicMatic » Fri Feb 9, 2024 6:40 pm

Lose in the first round of the playoffs pretty easily.
JI gets injured in the 2nd game.
Offseason starts.
Resign Fultz to a ridiculous 1+1 contract in the offseason to spend the money (i leave the forum).
Extend Suggs and Franz
Roll out the same team next season sans Gary. Jett takes his minutes.
JoshuaPotter
Starter
And1: 681

Post#19 » by JoshuaPotter » Fri Feb 9, 2024 8:19 pm

MagicMatic wrote:Lose in the first round of the playoffs pretty easily.
Offseason starts.
Resign Fultz to a ridiculous 1+1 contract in the offseason to spend the money (i leave the forum).
Extend Suggs and Franz

I'll add "keep our 1st round pick" and do another draft and stash. Odds are good it will be a Michigan player if available.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by eyriq » Fri Feb 9, 2024 8:27 pm

MagicMatic wrote:Lose in the first round of the playoffs pretty easily.
Offseason starts.
Extend Suggs and Franz
"JI gets injured..." I laughed
"Resign Fultz..." I cried

Return to Orlando Magic