ImageImageImageImage

Pick your UFA target(s)...

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

BCS
Sixth Man
And1: 681

Re: Pick your UFA target(s)... 

Post#61 » by BCS » Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:45 am

KillMonger wrote:People in these twitter spaces are tweaking man....they're talking about running it back....bringing back fultz and others on team friendly deals.....i'm done with fultz
If Fultz is unwilling to shoot and be aggressive, he unfortunately can't be the starter, that is a fact. Now, he is still better than Cole, so if we move away from Fultz we better be moving away from Cole and upgrading the backup PG.

I personally am ok with moving Cole and signing Fultz to be the backup for a reasonable price. I'd then sign Monk to add much needed more consistent scoring punch but also not a liability defensively. Either way, priority one is get rid of Fools Gold Cole.

Sent from my SM-A716U using RealGM mobile app
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,705

Post#62 » by Skybox » Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:04 pm

OnlyFranz22 wrote:Quickley/Garland/Spida

Re: Pick your UFA target(s)...None of them are UFAs
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,148

Post#63 » by tiderulz » Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:20 pm

BCS wrote:
KillMonger wrote:People in these twitter spaces are tweaking man....they're talking about running it back....bringing back fultz and others on team friendly deals.....i'm done with fultz
If Fultz is unwilling to shoot and be aggressive, he unfortunately can't be the starter, that is a fact. Now, he is still better than Cole, so if we move away from Fultz we better be moving away from Cole and upgrading the backup PG.

I personally am ok with moving Cole and signing Fultz to be the backup for a reasonable price. I'd then sign Monk to add much needed more consistent scoring punch but also not a liability defensively. Either way, priority one is get rid of Fools Gold Cole.

as you pointed out, we need upgrade at PG. Monk is not a PG
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,892

Post#64 » by RookieStar » Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:42 pm

tiderulz wrote:
BCS wrote:

BUUUTTTTT.... a Monk , Suggs backcourt would work as well especially with the playmaking of PB or Franz.

I mean, we all hear the spiel of "positionless basketball".. why can't an offguard and a shootingguard work together with 2 playmaking forwards?
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#65 » by tiderulz » Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:07 pm

RookieStar wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
BCS wrote:If Fultz is unwilling to shoot and be aggressive, he unfortunately can't be the starter, that is a fact. Now, he is still better than Cole, so if we move away from Fultz we better be moving away from Cole and upgrading the backup PG.

BUUUTTTTT.... a Monk , Suggs backcourt would work as well especially with the playmaking of PB or Franz.

I mean, we all hear the spiel of "positionless basketball".. why can't an offguard and a shootingguard work together with 2 playmaking forwards?

positionless basketball only works with star players.
RichCollab
Starter
And1: 700

Post#66 » by RichCollab » Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:12 pm

tiderulz wrote:
BCS wrote:

Monk is enough of a passer. Paolo and Franz will still be the main play makers.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,843

Post#67 » by basketballRob » Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:21 pm

Derozan, JV, Hartenstein, Melton, or trade for Simons, Bruce Brown, or Brogdon

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM mobile app
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,892

Post#68 » by RookieStar » Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:39 pm

tiderulz wrote:
RookieStar wrote:
tiderulz wrote:as you pointed out, we need upgrade at PG. Monk is not a PG

positionless basketball only works with star players.

Well... we are hoping PB becomes that no?
CocoaFan
Sophomore
And1: 65

Post#69 » by CocoaFan » Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:59 am

fendilim wrote:Personally, I’d love to see a 1+1 deal offered to Conley and let go of Harris. I think Conley provides more veteran leadership, similar to what he is providing to the Wolves now.

But Gary Trent might be who we will look at, imo.

Monk is ok, but I think character issues and doesn’t really fit the archetype of players weham has targetted lately. Undersized decision makers doesn’t seem to be a thing for this management. 6’4” and above two-way players seem to be their M. O. lately.

Looking at their historical acquisition, it seems like only Cole doesn’t have the positional size advantage.

Claxton is an interesting choice as well, but it might cost us a sum of money. With WCJ on a cheap contract, plus Moe off the bench, I’m not sure how we can find playing time for claxton for the salary he will likely get.

I think JI is retained, and Fultz will likely be let go. This is based on how Mosley brought out the death lineup lately. I don’t think there will be room for Fultz anymore.
What are the character issues you've heard about Monk? I kind of had the same impression but everything I've read about him online says he's a leader on the team and the guy they look to to get them going and plays with an edge.
CocoaFan
Sophomore
And1: 65

Post#70 » by CocoaFan » Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:04 am

Bensational wrote:
fendilim wrote:Personally, I’d love to see a 1+1 deal offered to Conley and let go of Harris. I think Conley provides more veteran leadership, similar to what he is providing to the Wolves now.

Monk is ok, but I think character issues and doesn’t really fit the archetype of players weham has targetted lately. Undersized decision makers doesn’t seem to be a thing for this management. 6’4” and above two-way players seem to be their M. O. lately.

These are my picks. Conley is perfect for us and what we need from that role in the short term. I like Monk as a reliable scoring punch off the bench if he’s happy to stay a 6th man.

Suggs/Monk
Conley/Black

That’s a quality backcourt that still has opportunities for our young guys.
I think Monk would start at PG and give way to Black if he can win the job late. Monk's improved his playmaking and is up to 5.3 assists in 26 minutes. Worst case Monk is a better backup than Cole and would be a 6th man of the year candidate.
Residual-Heat
Sixth Man
And1: 1,074

Post#71 » by Residual-Heat » Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:22 am

Kentavious Caldwell Pope to replace Harris? Would we be able to get both KCP and Monk? Maybe also add CP3 on a 1 year contract?

CP3/Monk/Black
Suggs/KCP
Franz/Ingles/Howard
Paolo/Isaac
WCJ/Mo/Goga
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,705

Post#72 » by Skybox » Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:08 am

After watching Achiuwa get double digit OFFENSIVE rebs last night, I might want to look at inexpensive UFA Drummond. He’s not that old and has been reliable…he’s a legit all-timer in rebounding. I’d even consider moving WCJ to the bench (in a significant role at 5/4) or even moving him in a backcourt upgrade trade as he should have more value to another team than to ORL. If Isaac proves healthy…I’m getting him C minutes and even more likely to move WCJ.

I really like Kyle Anderson - if not crazy expensive…he’s like a bigger Ingles out there, essentially another PG in a PF body.

Biggest need is a backcourt scorer, preferably PG, but this is likely to better dealt with in a big trade…if we picked up Drummond and Slo-Mo, and Isaac remains ambulatory (and, therefore, on the payroll)…I’d definitely look to move WCJ, Cole, etc in conjunction with cap space & picks for the guard we need. My favorites (other than any BIG names that become available after unexpected playoff flameouts…Booker? Garland? Unlikely but…) are still Simons, Herro, Murray). If we’re strictly talking UFA’s…I guess Monk is the most potentially “ready for the spotlight” get out there.

Maybe the price for GTJ, Beasley, Kennard or Grayson Allen has dropped to the point where it’d make sense.

Drummond/Isaac/M. Wagner
Paolo/Anderson/Isaac
…is an interesting frontcourt without breaking the bank. Slo-Mo could even run with Paolo & Franz. His production is down this season, but he’s historically a rock-solid 2-way guy. Might welcome a new environment.
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,221

Post#73 » by cedric76 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:58 pm

We need to think of P5 like lebron, p5 and Franz r our playmaker

P5+Franz+suggs can handle the ball

We just need a 2 way guard that can shoot the 3
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go
Offer Harris and goga a 1+1 deal

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic

Suggs, AB, Carter
Monk, Jett, Harris
Franz, Jett, Houstan
Paolo, Moe, (Cole trade)
Wcj, JI, goga
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 10,113

Post#74 » by KillMonger » Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:15 pm

cedric76 wrote:We need to think of P5 like lebron, p5 and Franz r our playmaker

essentially we need a PG that can set the table like fultz can but can also be an offball threat unlike fultz....with paolo and franz taking on more of the playmaking load we need a PG that can catch and shoot, not catch and drive into an already crowed paint....looking at this free agent crop coming up? i'm hoping someone becomes available via trade most of the free agent guards not really exciting me but there are a few that fit the bare minimum of what we need out of the pg position for this team....
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,221

Post#75 » by cedric76 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:41 pm

KillMonger wrote:

essentially we need a PG that can set the table like fultz can but can also be an offball threat unlike fultz....with paolo and franz taking on more of the playmaking load we need a PG that can catch and shoot, not catch and drive into an already crowed paint....looking at this free agent crop coming up? i'm hoping someone becomes available via trade most of the free agent guards not really exciting me but there are a few that fit the bare minimum of what we need out of the pg position for this team....

Someone like suggs;-)
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go
Offer Harris and goga a 1+1 deal

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic

Suggs, AB, Carter
Monk, Jett, Harris
Franz, Jett, Houstan
Paolo, Moe, (Cole trade)
Wcj, JI, goga
Bergmaniac
Head Coach
And1: 9,622

Post#76 » by Bergmaniac » Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:52 pm

Neither of them is anywhere near LeBron's level as a playmaker and is unlikely to ever approach it. No knock on them, but LeBron is one of the greatest playmakers of all time and I don't see such potential in our guys.

And in the playoffs having more ballhandling is almost always better. So I would prefer a traditional PG who can shoot to a shooting guard. Paolo and Franz will still handle the ball a lot but I don't think relying just on them for ballhandling and playmaking is that good of an idea. A younger version of Mike Conley would have been a great fit for that role. Or a healthy Brogdon.
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#77 » by tiderulz » Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:11 pm

Bergmaniac wrote:

Neither of them is anywhere near LeBron's level as a playmaker and is unlikely to ever approach it. No knock on them, but LeBron is one of the greatest playmakers of all time and I don't see such potential in our guys.

And in the playoffs having more ballhandling is almost always better. So I would prefer a traditional PG who can shoot to a shooting guard. Paolo and Franz will still handle the ball a lot but I don't think relying just on them for ballhandling and playmaking is that good of an idea. A younger version of Mike Conley would have been a great fit for that role. Or a healthy Brogdon.

plus, having more capable ball handlers only helps
OrlChamps2030
General Manager
And1: 4,169

Post#78 » by OrlChamps2030 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:22 pm

tiderulz wrote:
BCS wrote:

Monk is actually putting up decent assist numbers this year.. quite similar to Simons, who a lot of people want to try at PG on this team. It’s possible Monk could work out as a PG here
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,041

Post#79 » by fendilim » Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:49 pm

CocoaFan wrote:

But Gary Trent might be who we will look at, imo.

Looking at their historical acquisition, it seems like only Cole doesn’t have the positional size advantage.

Claxton is an interesting choice as well, but it might cost us a sum of money. With WCJ on a cheap contract, plus Moe off the bench, I’m not sure how we can find playing time for claxton for the salary he will likely get.

I think JI is retained, and Fultz will likely be let go. This is based on how Mosley brought out the death lineup lately. I don’t think there will be room for Fultz anymore.
What are the character issues you've heard about Monk? I kind of had the same impression but everything I've read about him online says he's a leader on the team and the guy they look to to get them going and plays with an edge.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/hornets-malik-monk-suspended-indefinitely-for-violating-nbas-anti-drug-program/amp/
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,041

Post#80 » by fendilim » Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:50 pm

OrlChamps2030 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
BCS wrote:If Fultz is unwilling to shoot and be aggressive, he unfortunately can't be the starter, that is a fact. Now, he is still better than Cole, so if we move away from Fultz we better be moving away from Cole and upgrading the backup PG.

Monk is actually putting up decent assist numbers this year.. quite similar to Simons, who a lot of people want to try at PG on this team. It’s possible Monk could work out as a PG here

Monk would be a decent get, but ideally as a 6th man. We’ll have to move Cole, to accommodate Monk, imo.

Return to Orlando Magic