ImageImageImageImage

Pick your UFA target(s)...

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,844

Re: Pick your UFA target(s)... 

Post#141 » by RookieStar » Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:16 am

JF5 wrote:
RookieStar wrote:BTW... what is up with Klay? Is his camp leaking stuff up to give him leverage or is there real interest from us?

It's not real... the Magic signing or going after a clearly declining star publicly who has been benched recently doesn't seem realistic given the way they do business.

But think about it... old(ish) declining injury-prone shooter that is just begging to lose his ahooting touch in Orlando is just a very Magic thing to do..
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#142 » by RookieStar » Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:17 am

basketballRob wrote:
RookieStar wrote:BTW... what is up with Klay? Is his camp leaking stuff up to give him leverage or is there real interest from us?
Probably. I think Portland did when Simons was an FA. We had around $25m in cap space, and Simons got $25m a year from Portland.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM mobile app

Why is though? Lots of teams with more capspace than us
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,387

Post#143 » by Knightro » Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:26 am

If you like Simons, there's no reason to dislike Monk.

The only thing Monk hasn't done that Simons has done is play 35 MPG as a starter.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#144 » by Knightro » Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:31 am

RookieStar wrote:Why is though? Lots of teams with more capspace than us

Not really.

The only team with clearly more cap space than the Magic are the Pistons who are a dumpster fire.

Utah and Philadelphia have comparable cap space to the Magic.
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#145 » by RookieStar » Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:52 am

Knightro wrote:
RookieStar wrote:Why is though? Lots of teams with more capspace than us

Not really.

The only team with clearly more cap space than the Magic are the Pistons who are a dumpster fire.

Utah and Philadelphia have comparable cap space to the Magic.

Well PHI.. a contender with Embiid and Maxey would be more Dangerous with Klay right? Would have thought they be a bigger threat than us in signing Klay
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#146 » by Knightro » Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:01 am

RookieStar wrote:Well PHI.. a contender with Embiid and Maxey would be more Dangerous with Klay right? Would have thought they be a bigger threat than us in signing Klay

They can have him?

I suspect Morey is going to go big game hunting via trade anyway.
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,022

Post#147 » by fendilim » Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:19 am

RookieStar wrote:
JF5 wrote:

It's not real... the Magic signing or going after a clearly declining star publicly who has been benched recently doesn't seem realistic given the way they do business.

But think about it... old(ish) declining injury-prone shooter that is just begging to lose his ahooting touch in Orlando is just a very Magic thing to do..

Have to start somewhere.

Happened with the Sixers and Redick
CarraT
Senior
And1: 189

Post#148 » by CarraT » Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:40 am

Knightro wrote:If you like Simons, there's no reason to dislike Monk.

The only thing Monk hasn't done that Simons has done is play 35 MPG as a starter.

I wouldnt say that. In the last three seasons, per 36 min, he´s scoring more points, better %, and most important, doing that against starters, not bench scrubs.
I´d still take Monk if Simons is not available. We badly need a scoring, reliable deep 3p shooting SG with gravity.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,642

Post#149 » by Skybox » Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:36 pm

CarraT wrote:
Knightro wrote:If you like Simons, there's no reason to dislike Monk.

I wouldnt say that. In the last three seasons, per 36 min, he´s scoring more points, better %, and most important, doing that against starters, not bench scrubs.
I´d still take Monk if Simons is not available. We badly need a scoring, reliable deep 3p shooting SG with gravity.

Simons is what you bet on Monk becoming…far from certain that Monk can take the next step and score as consistently as Simons. Per 36 is worth looking at but extremely flawed…ask Wilt Bamba
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,303

Post#150 » by eyriq » Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:45 pm

drsd wrote:This is the roster that is currently under contract for 2024/25

xxxxx/Anthony/Black
Suggs/xxxxx/Howard
F-Wagner/xxxxx/xxxxx
Banchero/xxxxx/xxxxx
Carter/xxxxx/xxxxx

Some of the xxxxx's will be filled in by the current Magicians under option-contracts (e.g. M-Wagner and Ingles), and other xxxxx's could be filled by extending current cancel-able deals (e.g. Houstan and Isaac).

But it cannot be argued that Orlando must find a starting PG, and four bench players this off-season. From within or externally (e.g. Bitadze and Fultz). One of Orlando's strengths this year has been bench depth. The Magic can end that to go for a guard upgrade if it chooses. I suspect many here will laud that sort of decision.

If the Magic, for example, sign Trent and Kennard and re-ups Issac, Houstan, Ingles and M-Wagner, resigns Bitadze, and spices in a rookie, the roster could be complete. We will see how bold management takes this. But I am kind of expecting that sort of off-season.

The result:
Suggs/Anthony/Black
Trent/Kennard/Howard
F-Wagner/Ingles/Houstan
Banchero/Isaac
Carter/M-Wagner/Bitadze

Obviously a combo-big would be a good rookie to add, but I do expect the roster to basically look something like this for opening night.
Disgusting logic
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,092

Post#151 » by yoyojw17 » Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:49 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
yoyojw17 wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:One game in mindless run& gun ( 267 points scored) does not make you playmaker.

No one was saying that. If we truly believe that Franz and Paolo are going to become our alpha ball handlers through continued growth.... here is a guy whocan facilitate when needed... move the ball to where it needs to go and make it easier for the team. P.s. I thought to myself... "Yep ... someone (lol including you) is gonna stumble on this and take it out of context." HAHAH

I'm just pointing out obvious :lol:

I have my reservations about getting role players of elite teams.

Allen last year played with 4 allstar players including league's MVP ( & DPOY)
Allen this year plays with one of top 20 players of all time and two additional allstars.

Not sure his game will translate if each and every player around him is that much worst than previous ones.

:dontknow:

I get that too... but looking into it at least.... he'll be asked to similar position with us as he was asked to play on the Suns team. There are two hight usage players he will play with and support that play nontraditional playmaker positions. I believe in the continued growth of Franz and Paolo.... Inot finished products at all. And if people believe that having a legit shooter will help them make huge leaps... why is a player that has shown to be a 40% shooter in a "similar position" for the passed few years going to raise huge eyebrows. Lol. We will ask him to come in and play the same roll. Look at the usage of black and fultz this season. It's a similar usage as Allen. And if his defensive potential could be really high in a defensive system... then damn... he is super intriguing to me.

I only posted the assist video to show the kinds of passing and smart decisions he is capable of. Push aheads, connective passes, and primary ball handler decision making. While possibly not putting up a huge wall, especially salary wise , in front of him. (if believe he is their future)

He has everything we would want to see of black...in a 6'4" pitbull package. While no

But then monk is believed to come here and take it to the next level (mind you I do like monk as well.... he was a player that I liked his trajectory and growth for the last couple years) ... or Klay will come back and have a resurgence while just collecting a check on the bench.

For me salary cap flexibility is always at the forefront of the GMs minds as well as talent.... and pulling the trigger to just pull the trigger is not going to happen. They will gauge pros and cons and the necessary investment. Allen could be a low risk high reward player in our system... as he would still shine cuz we are asking him to be what he's been before with an opportunity for an expanded role.

Return to Orlando Magic