ImageImageImageImage

POLL: If you could take any Magic player from history and put him on this team

Moderators: ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami

Who would it be?

1994 Shaq: 29.3 PPG, 13.2 RPG, 2.9 BPG
44%
1996 Penny: 21.7 PPG, 7.1 APG, 2.0 SPG
28%
2003 McGrady: 32.1 PPG, 6.5 RPG, 5.5 APG
25%
2009 Dwight: 20.6 PPG, 13.8 RPG, 2.9 BPG
No votes
Somebody Else (Tell us in the replies):
4%

Total votes: 57

RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,896

Re: POLL: If you could take any Magic player from history and put him on this team 

Post#21 » by RookieStar » Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:27 am

With the way Silver and the league changed... Shaq would probably be forced to chuck 3s at least 5x per game. Lol

Also... they probably try to outscore us by forcing shaq to guard the 3pt area.
Max Power
Head Coach
And1: 1,208

Re: POLL: If you could take any Magic player from history and put him on this team 

Post#22 » by Max Power » Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:36 am

It’s either Shaq or Tracy McGrady. You add Shaq to any team full of scrubs and they’re a contender. Put him with the currently constructed team, that’s probably a title team.

On the other hand if you’re trying to consider what’s missing from this current team, you go with Tracy. A prime scorer and defender, physically he’s the most gifted NBA player in NBA history, even over Lebron in my opinion at his absolute best.
You look confused...let me fill you in.
SHAQ32
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,962

Post#23 » by SHAQ32 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:43 am

I'd take healthy 09 Jameer. He was on a mission that year until he got hurt!
flying_mollusk
Sixth Man
And1: 798

Post#24 » by flying_mollusk » Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:16 am

Would be interesting to see Shaq in modern era. Still think he dominates.

Thing about Tmac, he had arguably the worst supporting cast of all time with the Magic after he left Vince. That Raptors team was an amazing what if. In Houston he had Yao, but the west was tough.
richi_v25
Bench Warmer
And1: 426

Post#25 » by richi_v25 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:16 am

Poor Dwight gets no respect, he's literally the most successful in a Magic jersey with an actual finals win yet no one voted for him? I voted Tmac, he was from central Florida and played 2 way plus would dominate in today's game that plays little defense.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,556

Post#26 » by Bensational » Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:25 am

Shaq
Paolo
Franz
Suggs
Black

WCJ/Goga
Paolo
Franz
Suggs
Penny

WCJ/Goga
Paolo
Franz
Tmac
Suggs

Dwight
Paolo
Franz
Suggs
Black

My heart wants Penny or Tmac, but my brain says Shaq or Dwight.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,374

Post#27 » by pepe1991 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:22 am

flying_mollusk wrote:Would be interesting to see Shaq in modern era. Still think he dominates.

Thing about Tmac, he had arguably the worst supporting cast of all time with the Magic after he left Vince. That Raptors team was an amazing what if. In Houston he had Yao, but the west was tough.

Even when T mac got support, he still did nothing with it ( Rocket years with Ming).

T mac was so damn talented but never winning player. Some crazy mix between Wiggins & Lavine, you see crazy talent, crazy capability, you see flashes of brilliance, but it never turns into good product for a team ( well, Wiggins menaged to win a ring , Lavine & T mac never passed first round of playoff).

:dontknow:

Again, Tracy is probably one of most talented, gifted basketball players in past 30 years, but much like Melo, his talent is one thing, his contribution to winning basketball whole another. Probably just wrong mentality & approach , too much Kobe/Jordan influence in them, too little Lebron- Magic influence . We all know those players were capable of making impossible shots, but sometimes, like in 99% cases, passing terrible shot for good shot of your teammate is better shot.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
drsd
RealGM
And1: 8,027

Post#28 » by drsd » Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:25 am

jezzerinho
Starter
And1: 1,531

Post#29 » by jezzerinho » Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:10 am

I mean, if its just to win games, you probably take Shaq and you trade Paolo. Prime Shaq is a 33% usage guy.

Tracy was a 35% Usage guy in his prime and while his skills complement, i just dont see evidence in his career that he can fit in a committee setup. We'd probably trade Franz or Paolo in that instance and im not sure we'd be so much better than we'd be with some other ex legends.

That level of usage is top-5 NBA. Better be worth it. PB and FW are 29% and 26% respectively. No room for a guy with that much on-ball need, if you keep those 2.

Assuming you want someone to gel with the present roster I go Penny, even tho he wasnt a knockdown shooter. If injuries arent a factor, I think Penny gives the best fit and complementary skills of all the options. Plus sentimentally, I'd kill to see him back playing again!

Close second I'd go Dwight. Theres some overlap with WCJ and JI, but I wouldnt care - neither of them is core enough to stop me starting DH. Dwight's 20 points, defence and rebounding arent going to squash Paolo's or Franz' games.

Can I go
Penny
Suggs
Franz
Paolo
Dwight?
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 10,115

Post#30 » by KillMonger » Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:39 am

For me it's close, between penny and Shaq.... It has to be Shaq, magic era Shaq was still dominant but he could really run in his magic days, could really get up and down.... However penny would probably be a better fit with the guys we got now, nobody like penny in today's game... Maybe haliburton got similar flash but nowhere the same athlete

Sent from my CPH2611 using RealGM mobile app
Ralof
Pro Prospect
And1: 514

Post#31 » by Ralof » Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:53 am

Shaw obviously,need a franchise superstar and no-one is more a franchise player in that list than him.
also,his 4 years in Orlando are vastly underated,that more agile and faster Shaq would still be generational today as Wembayama is.

Penny would be a fair second pick,at his peak would be the guy you build around still at our days,insane talented,super basic fundamentals and craftiness and passing vision
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,872

Post#32 » by basketballRob » Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:54 am

Ralof wrote:Shaw obviously,need a franchise superstar and no-one is more a franchise player in that list than him.
also,his 4 years in Orlando are vastly underated,that more agile and faster Shaq would still be generational today as Wembayama is.

Penny would be a fair second pick,at his peak would be the guy you build around still at our days,insane talented,super basic fundamentals and craftiness and passing vision
I liked Brian Shaw, but I'm leaning towards Shaq.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM mobile app
dsg2021
Analyst
And1: 1,050

Post#33 » by dsg2021 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:49 pm

Shaq. We ask him to use his youth and athleticism and stretch a tiny bit more into defense than he would maybe prefer. On offense, he gets the #1 option tag as he should. It all gets way too scary for other teams dealing with Shaq and then there’s a not so poor man’s version of LeBron James in Paolo Banchero. Oh, and here’s the third 6’10 plus guy named Franz with 20+ PPG and advanced stats saying he’s more efficient than Shaq and Paolo on some nights. Man, give us our rings, it’s a wrap.
richi_v25
Bench Warmer
And1: 426

Post#34 » by richi_v25 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:44 pm

drsd wrote:Image

He's not an option bc he's basically a real life cheat code and we need it to remain fair.
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 15,687

Post#35 » by Howard Mass » Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:34 pm

I feel Hardaway would be the best fit.
R.I.P. Dharam Raghubir (A.K.A. Magnumt)

:beer:
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,896

Post#36 » by RookieStar » Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:46 pm

richi_v25 wrote:
drsd wrote:Image

He's not an option bc he's basically a real life cheat code and we need it to remain fair.

Yeah.. that's like adding prime MJ Kobe LBJ instead of just past Magic players..
drsd
RealGM
And1: 8,027

Post#37 » by drsd » Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:57 pm

Howard Mass wrote:I feel Hardaway would be the best fit.

And-1

If the question is phrased in terms of player upgrade, this is the 200% answer!
byeganyo
Junior
And1: 127

Post#38 » by byeganyo » Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:26 pm

Shaq is obviously more dominating, but TMac fits the best, this is the year he shot 3pt well too.
Message Boar
Analyst
And1: 1,873

Post#39 » by Message Boar » Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:13 pm

Penny would be the most fun and adding a zero spacing center would take our offense back to the 90's stylistically...

But it's still Shaq.
SS_MagicMark
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35

Post#40 » by SS_MagicMark » Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:57 am

Mark Price

Sent from my SM-G955U using RealGM mobile app

Return to Orlando Magic