ImageImageImageImage

So what’s going on with Markelle Fultz this season?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

JazzUte88
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,036

So what’s going on with Markelle Fultz this season? 

Post#1 » by JazzUte88 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:05 am

It’s pretty weird what’s going on with Fultz again.

He had a really good 2022-23 year averaging 14/4/6 on 51%/31% 3 last season.

Starts this 2023-24 season looking kinda average but still scoring 10-12 PPG, then gets knee tendinitis and/or TOS again, and we’ve seen he’s been kinda bad sometimes with his shot, it’s been a struggle to see.

8/4/4 player with a broken shot at best has relegated him to role player status instead of a decent PG.

What’s the deal in practice and warm ups? Has anyone followed what’s going on? Is this knee tendinitis or TOS again or both?
Jiwol
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,296

Re: So what’s going on with Markelle Fultz this season? 

Post#2 » by Jiwol » Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:33 am

You obviously don't know too much about Magic basketball. MF is our best back court option and is setting himself up for extention this off-season. Our front office has his 3 year 36 million contact already prepared in a drawer. What's not to like about his game?
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,305

Post#3 » by pepe1991 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:37 am

according to reddit fans from several months ago, he will be MIP, average 25-7, we just need to trade several role players ( Paolo & Franz) for better shooters to expend his driving lines :D
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,941

Post#4 » by drsd » Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:48 am

JazzUte88 wrote:It’s pretty weird what’s going on with Fultz again.

Starts this 2023-24 season looking kinda average but still scoring 10-12 PPG, then gets knee tendinitis and/or TOS again, and we’ve seen he’s been kinda bad sometimes with his shot, it’s been a struggle to see.

8/4/4 player with a broken shot at best has relegated him to role player status instead of a decent PG.

What’s the deal in practice and warm ups? Has anyone followed what’s going on? Is this knee tendinitis or TOS again or both?

To answer your question, his shooting hitch is worse. It has not been addressed if it is physical (e.g. TOS) or physiological. All we fans see is terrible form. The why is an unknown for us.
And that leads to him averaging one three point attempt every third game. That has had terrible consequences to the forwards as Fultz has become an anti-magnet on the perimeter. To make matters worse, when Fultz is out, Black steps in to play the same anti-magnet role.

Fultz can be a good PG on a roster that has strong three-point shooting at both the 2 and on the front court. That's not Orlando.

It all sums up to Orlando being the least effective distance shooting team in the NBA; it all comes down to the PGs. (p.s. Anthony has also shot the ball from distance poorly this season).
JazzUte88
Lead Assistant

Post#5 » by JazzUte88 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:13 am

Jiwol wrote:You obviously don't know too much about Magic basketball. MF is our best back court option and is setting himself up for extention this off-season. Our front office has his 3 year 36 million contact already prepared in a drawer. What's not to like about his game?

I’d love to see Fultz get more minutes! Just seems like he’s struggling with his shot lately again, if people remember he averaged 12/3/5 on a playoff team, not trying to be mean just being honest, it’s part of it I guess.

It’s a bit disappointing not seeing him score 12 a game like he usually has in Orlando.

Would like to see him in Utah for a season and see.
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,167

Post#6 » by zaymon » Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:18 am

JazzUte88 wrote:
Jiwol wrote:You obviously don't know too much about Magic basketball. MF is our best back court option and is setting himself up for extention this off-season. Our front office has his 3 year 36 million contact already prepared in a drawer. What's not to like about his game?

I’d love to see Fultz get more minutes! Just seems like he’s struggling with his shot lately again, if people remember he averaged 12/3/5 on a playoff team, not trying to be mean just being honest, it’s part of it I guess.

It’s a bit disappointing not seeing him score 12 a game like he usually has in Orlando.

I would also like to see him in Utah.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#7 » by pepe1991 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:29 am

zaymon wrote:
JazzUte88 wrote:

Or any other of 28 other teams not named Orlando :lol:
Oh and China or any other country as well :lol: :lol:
JazzUte88
Lead Assistant

Post#8 » by JazzUte88 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:38 am

pepe1991 wrote:
zaymon wrote:
JazzUte88 wrote:

Eh, Markelle would be better off on an NBA squad or G League team.
p0peye
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,007

Post#9 » by p0peye » Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:35 am

pepe1991 wrote:
zaymon wrote:
JazzUte88 wrote:

I've been saying soccer is a fine sport.
p0peye
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,007

Post#10 » by p0peye » Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:42 am

That would be really nice example of creative financing from Magic, but I doubt Markelle will take a loyalty paycut. He will be one of the more sought out FAs this summer. I am not concerned with resigning him as we have his bird rights, but it is fair to expect Markelle to question Magic's dedication as a) he needs more minutes and b) better supporting cast. We have too many forwards that struggle to shoot from outside and clog the paint for 'Kelle. It will be tough.
drsd
RealGM

Post#11 » by drsd » Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:11 am

pepe1991 wrote:
zaymon wrote:I would also like to see him in Utah.

This was my first thought about "Utah".

Just took my son to a BBL game, Sheffield vs. London. He would thrive in the English format. He could star with Sam Dekker!!!
drsd
RealGM

Post#12 » by drsd » Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:17 am

JazzUte88 wrote:Would like to see him in Utah for a season and see.

I didn't realize that Kris Dunn has played so poorly this season. I do agree that Fultz could be an OK player next to Sexton, Markkanen, and Fontecchio. I guess the Jazz also need an actual Center. Bitadze is likely to "get paid" by some team this off-season.
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#13 » by pepe1991 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:38 am

drsd wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
zaymon wrote:I would also like to see him in Utah.

This was my first thought about "Utah".

Just took my son to a BBL game, Sheffield vs. London. He would thrive in the English format. He could star with Sam Dekker!!!

Dekker can teach him how to fake pass nobody and headball control :lol:
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,304

Post#14 » by eyriq » Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:54 pm

You are tenaciously pursuing this question across different threads and now here. He's damaged goods, injury prone, and injured. Same answer no matter how often you ask.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,113

Post#15 » by tiderulz » Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:07 pm

i dont know about you, but that isnt even close to a "really good" season to me
Bergmaniac
Head Coach
And1: 9,574

Post#16 » by Bergmaniac » Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:34 pm

If Ainge wants Utah to tank next season, you may get your wish. :lol: He'd a be a great tank commander.

His jumpshot is completely gone (he used to be a good midrange shooter, now he just refuses to shoot from outside 12 feet and his jumpshot has a horrible hitch) and he just can't get to the line at all this season despite being an athletic slasher who takes 80% of his shots in the paint. He has taken 16 FTs in total in 21 games this season.
JoshuaPotter
Starter
And1: 681

Post#17 » by JoshuaPotter » Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:48 pm

Bergmaniac wrote:

If Ainge wants Utah to tank next season, you may get your wish. :lol: He'd a be a great tank commander.

His jumpshot is completely gone (he used to be a good midrange shooter, now he just refuses to shoot from outside 12 feet and his jumpshot has a horrible hitch) and he just can't get to the line at all this season despite being an athletic slasher who takes 80% of his shots in the paint. He has taken 16 FTs in total in 21 games this season.

He wont get to the line. I am pretty sure of all the starting PG he initiates contact to get free throws the least. Therein lies his issue. Other then dribble the ball upcourt I can't name a single thing he does above average. Which you would want a starting PG to be good at something.
OrlMagic05
Sixth Man
And1: 1,066

Post#18 » by OrlMagic05 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:04 pm

I was always optimistic about Fultz, because of the potential and how he ended the seasons when healthy. BUT, as someone else said, he is damaged goods at this point. His hitch on his jumpshot is back to what it was when he was in Philly. I doubt we resign him and if we do it better be for pennies on the dollar.
Max Power
Head Coach
And1: 1,204

Post#19 » by Max Power » Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:55 pm

It’s a shame things have regressed with Markelle this season. Last year he looked to finally have cleared the hurdles of the shoulder issue and played great while providing this young team some leadership. Unfortunately what we saw this year has only been sparse chunks of what he did a year ago and the problem on his jumper seems to have extended to the mid court, where he was very good last year.

I feel bad for Markelle Fultz, he has everything you want outside of the jumper. Great size, playmaker tendencies, a willing defender and plays with effort plus some leadership and is a good team mate. But for this team to advance they need a point guard to start with Paulo and Franz who can punish opponents with a 3 point shot. I’d keep him as a backup, because I still like what he does well, but the Magic need a reliable legit starting point guard to grow with the core.
You look confused...let me fill you in.
JazzUte88
Lead Assistant

Post#20 » by JazzUte88 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:26 pm

tiderulz wrote:

i dont know about you, but that isnt even close to a "really good" season to me

Fultz was decent last season. The rest of the team kinda sucked last year.

Return to Orlando Magic