ImageImageImageImage

So what’s going on with Markelle Fultz this season?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,022

Re: So what’s going on with Markelle Fultz this season? 

Post#61 » by fendilim » Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:06 am

bigdogdylan5 wrote:
JazzUte88 wrote:
Jiwol wrote:You obviously don't know too much about Magic basketball. MF is our best back court option and is setting himself up for extention this off-season. Our front office has his 3 year 36 million contact already prepared in a drawer. What's not to like about his game?

I’d love to see Fultz get more minutes! Just seems like he’s struggling with his shot lately again, if people remember he averaged 12/3/5 on a playoff team, not trying to be mean just being honest, it’s part of it I guess.

It’s a bit disappointing not seeing him score 12 a game like he usually has in Orlando.

Would like to see him in Utah for a season and see.

But it’s not struggling in the sense he is just off right? After his TOS surgery he changed his shot for lack of a better phrase take pressure off that area. He relied on his legs. So when his knee started flaring just a little the shot just went haywire. During shoot arounds he had the biggest hitch you could imagine. I have been to 5-6 games where he has played and I can’t watch him in shoot around it’s that bad…. I believe it was injuries but regardless if it’s injury or yips doesn’t matter the guy can’t and shouldn’t shoot. He could theoretically work if you have like 3 or 4 shooters in the 2-5 spots but I wouldn’t count on it. Everything else he does really well. That’s just not what this team wants to be. Our best action according to second spectrum is Franz iso. We want to run most of our stuff through Paolo long term. What we need from our PG is shooting with occasional ball handling relief for our two forwards. Fultz is the exact opposite then what we need.

after his TOS surgery???
p0peye
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,007

Post#62 » by p0peye » Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:17 am

JazzUte88 wrote:
p0peye wrote:
JazzUte88 wrote:
Well, Markelle would be a decent tank commander that would help Ainge “win”.

MF is usually good for 6-9 points in 20 minutes right now?

But really, maybe a new team like Utah would help Fultz?

Dude, if you didn't get it, we're not gonna let Fultz go. That's just crazy talk. I understand you are hunting for sleepers and granted, Markelle is among, if not the best of them.

I know it's hard, but you've got to move on, man. Talk around All Star weekend was that Luka might ask for trade soon. Now, he's not Markelle, but still not a bad backup plan.

Why don’t you just talk about his shot or scroll on? People pay to watch a player.

His shot is perfect and makes League Pass worth every penny.
GameOver25
RealGM
And1: 5,725

Post#63 » by GameOver25 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:57 am

What's going on with Markelle Fultz this season you ask?

Well before the season begun, there was a sign up sheet like in high school outside the coaches office. Markelle clearly signed up for the PF position and now lives in the dunkers spot. That's my theory and I'm sticking with it.
Residual-Heat
Sixth Man
And1: 997

Post#64 » by Residual-Heat » Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:23 am

I just have a feeling Fultz is going to be solid in the play offs and the FO will re-sign him to a long term contract :lol:
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 13,032

Post#65 » by MagicMatic » Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:25 am

The real question is…

Who cares?
JoshuaPotter
Starter
And1: 681

Post#66 » by JoshuaPotter » Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:47 am

RookieStar wrote:
Skybox wrote:
JoshuaPotter wrote:
Sign me up. I saw Taylor Hendricks as a potential Isaac clone years down the line. We do need a replacement for his minutes. So it works for me.

We also free up time for the ALL Anthony all the time PG play.

Am I reading that someone seriously thinks a Fultz SnT for Taylor Hendricks is plausible? :lol:

Quick - before Utah guy researches Fultz

If he changes it to Keyonte me and eyeriq will add the DEN frp and promise to drive Fultz there and pickup George personally. They can even ride shotgun.

Not only would I do that deal, but I would even through a second round pick. Cash considering....

I will personally be the DJ in the back seat if this happens.

Choo-choo Keyonte train.
MasterGMer
Veteran
And1: 588

Post#67 » by MasterGMer » Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:50 am

He showed flashes of a play maker. But this season overall has been disappointing. We waited for a break out season especially his shooting. But that didn't come to fruition. We still have more than 25 games to go. And before we make a decision, we will see
MagicHolland
General Manager
And1: 301

Post#68 » by MagicHolland » Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:04 am

MagicMatic wrote:The real question is…

Who cares?

I do.

It’s really unfortunate and such a waste of great talent. If you fairly assess his stats, impact and fit (playing wise) it’s just not enough.

Besides that, players see him as a leader and he brings more to the table than he’s been given credit for. I wouldn’t mind keeping him as a backup if he’s open to that. If not I wish him nothing but the best and thank him for proudly representing my team.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,305

Post#69 » by pepe1991 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:03 am

MagicHolland wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:The real question is…

Who cares?

I do.

It’s really unfortunate and such a waste of great talent. If you fairly assess his stats, impact and fit (playing wise) it’s just not enough.

Besides that, players see him as a leader and he brings more to the table than he’s been given credit for. I wouldn’t mind keeping him as a backup if he’s open to that. If not I wish him nothing but the best and thank him for proudly representing my team.

If he was never broken, he would have never become Magic player in first place.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,941

Post#70 » by drsd » Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:15 am

JoshuaPotter wrote:
RookieStar wrote:
Skybox wrote:
Am I reading that someone seriously thinks a Fultz SnT for Taylor Hendricks is plausible? :lol:

Quick - before Utah guy researches Fultz

If he changes it to Keyonte me and eyeriq will add the DEN frp and promise to drive Fultz there and pickup George personally. They can even ride shotgun.

Not only would I do that deal, but I would even through a second round pick. Cash considering....

Choo-choo Keyonte train.

Put down the pipe all of you. The Jazz will unload Horton-Tucker and Agbaji, not George.
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#71 » by pepe1991 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:29 am

drsd wrote:
JoshuaPotter wrote:
RookieStar wrote:

Choo-choo Keyonte train.

Put down the pipe all of you. The Jazz will unload Horton-Tucker and Agbaji, not George.

It's Danny Ainge, he talks to you and sees this:

btw Fultz is unrestriced FA and Jazz have $35M in cash to spend, they don't need any trades to get him.
JazzUte88
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,036

Post#72 » by JazzUte88 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:02 am

Bergmaniac wrote:
JazzUte88 wrote:Utah isn’t getting rid of Hendricks or George. Just saying that Fultz still may be better than Kris Dunn.

I'd take Dunn over Fultz any day of the week. He is a way better defender, for starters. The gap on that end is massive in his favour. And I doubt he's any worse offensively than the current Fultz.

Dunn is good for 5.4 PPG in 18 minutes. So he’s probably quite worse than Markelle on offense (8.4 in 24 minutes) for how much crap Fultz gets for not shooting the ball well he’s decent at getting to the hoop still sometimes.

Utah has money to spend and might need to tank a season away. Good opportunity for Fultz to sign a 1-year deal w/Utah for 5-10 million. I could see Fultz averaging 10-11/3/4 in 25 minutes a game in Utah. I think he could bring some energy and smart PG to the team if the staff could get his midrange jumper & occasional 3 back.
drsd
RealGM

Post#73 » by drsd » Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:10 am

pepe1991 wrote:btw Fultz is unrestriced FA and Jazz have $35M in cash to spend, they don't need any trades to get him.

I agree that the Jazz only do a SnT to get bird rights of a FA, and/or unload a bad contract. Orlando could care less about either.

That said: Fultz' agent will care about Bird rights in a short-term deal.

Question: what do you see in Taylor Hendricks? Personally he's a bust for me. Especially given how perfect Dereck Lively would be on the Jazz roster.
p0peye
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,007

Post#74 » by p0peye » Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:55 am

drsd wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:btw Fultz is unrestriced FA and Jazz have $35M in cash to spend, they don't need any trades to get him.

I agree that the Jazz only do a SnT to get bird rights of a FA, and/or unload a bad contract. Orlando could care less about either.

That said: Fultz' agent will care about Bird rights in a short-term deal.

Question: what do you see in Taylor Hendricks? Personally he's a bust for me. Especially given how perfect Dereck Lively would be on the Jazz roster.

You're both right. I see this playing straight into our hand where we sign and trade Markelle for Kessler and a pick. It pains me to admit that I would do that, but it would make me a Jazz fan.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,641

Post#75 » by Skybox » Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:38 am

drsd wrote:
JoshuaPotter wrote:
RookieStar wrote:

Choo-choo Keyonte train.

Agbaji went with Olynyk to TOR. I was surprised they got both for a first. Agbaji looks promising- a younger, bigger Gary Harris. The type you’d want next to Keyonte or Sexton
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#76 » by pepe1991 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:50 am

Skybox wrote:
drsd wrote:
JoshuaPotter wrote:

Choo-choo Keyonte train.

Agbaji went with Olynyk to TOR. I was surprised they got both for a first. Agbaji looks promising- a younger, bigger Gary Harris. The type you’d want next to Keyonte or Sexton

Probem with all that is that Agbaji was never all that good nor is young.
Guy is 24. Football (soccer) players at age of 24 who show as little as he did, are already on their 4th, 5th team.
There is constant idea that players can be "developed" pass some age, and people give 1 outliner in 8000 players to "prove it" ( BIllups, Lowry, nevermind being drafted 15-25 years ago).

It will take nba lot of time to catch up with modern sports where recycling garbage for several years too long goes away.

Agbaji is 6'5 shooting guard who can't really shoot, does not rebound, does not pass ball well, isn't some elit defender. What to do with him?

Gary Harris- his age -17 ppg, 40% for 3 on 46-36 team.

So yea... broken Garry Harris today is still Ferrari compared to Agbaji who is, to him, Yugo.

Look at his game against Spurs. 18 min against hardly nba competition. 1-8 FG, if you can't light it up against bench of second worst team in a league, and you flat out suck , you simply don't belong.

:dontknow:

Danni Ainge figured long time ago that some players simply aren't worth wasting time on. Just like Hinkie did to MCW. Sometimes best decision is to cut ties.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,641

Post#77 » by Skybox » Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:57 am

pepe1991 wrote:
Skybox wrote:
drsd wrote:

Probem with all that is that Agbaji was never all that good nor is young.
Guy is 24. Football (soccer) players at age of 24 who show as little as he did, are already on their 4th, 5th team.
There is constant idea that players can be "developed" pass some age, and people give 1 outliner in 8000 players to "prove it" ( BIllups, Lowry, nevermind being drafted 15-25 years ago).

It will take nba lot of time to catch up with modern sports where recycling garbage for several years too long goes away.

Agbaji is 6'5 shooting guard who can't really shoot, does not rebound, does not pass ball well, isn't some elit defender. What to do with him?

Gary Harris- his age -17 ppg, 40% for 3 on 46-36 team.

So yea... broken Garry Harris today is still Ferrari compared to Agbaji who is, to him, Yugo.

Danni Ainge figured long time ago that some players simply aren't worth wasting time on. Just like Hinkie did to MCW. Sometimes best decision is to cut ties.

That’s easy to say…but half of the posts on ORL threads are excuses that guards take 3+ years to contribute and “develop”. Drafting kids who have been attending high-level training since they were 7 years old- but can’t shoot ? Which is it?

This conundrum is why I think picks are way overvalued…you can trade for guys that are 3 or 4 years in and we KNOW they can do it at NBA level…Simons is perfect example- still young and likely better than any of 3 mid to late frps combined.
drsd
RealGM

Post#78 » by drsd » Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:54 pm

Skybox wrote:That’s easy to say…but half of the posts on ORL threads are excuses that guards take 3+ years to contribute and “develop”.

It takes 3+ years for PGs to develop. And this is directly relevant to Fultz, as this is his thread. He got his 3+ years and is the player he is. There is no more growth in his game. None.

But this 3+ window is not relevant to FG% numbers of SGs. Yes players like Jalen Green will "get better", but his outside shooting will not get better. Green is clearly a bust at #2, even though he will be a useful player in the league for a while.

Contrast that to Jaden Ivey. His stroke looks fine and he could be an excellent SG for the league.

Anyhow: I believe this is pepe's point.
bigdogdylan5
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,079

Post#79 » by bigdogdylan5 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:50 pm

fendilim wrote:
bigdogdylan5 wrote:
JazzUte88 wrote:
I’d love to see Fultz get more minutes! Just seems like he’s struggling with his shot lately again, if people remember he averaged 12/3/5 on a playoff team, not trying to be mean just being honest, it’s part of it I guess.

It’s a bit disappointing not seeing him score 12 a game like he usually has in Orlando.

Would like to see him in Utah for a season and see.

But it’s not struggling in the sense he is just off right? After his TOS surgery he changed his shot for lack of a better phrase take pressure off that area. He relied on his legs. So when his knee started flaring just a little the shot just went haywire. During shoot arounds he had the biggest hitch you could imagine. I have been to 5-6 games where he has played and I can’t watch him in shoot around it’s that bad…. I believe it was injuries but regardless if it’s injury or yips doesn’t matter the guy can’t and shouldn’t shoot. He could theoretically work if you have like 3 or 4 shooters in the 2-5 spots but I wouldn’t count on it. Everything else he does really well. That’s just not what this team wants to be. Our best action according to second spectrum is Franz iso. We want to run most of our stuff through Paolo long term. What we need from our PG is shooting with occasional ball handling relief for our two forwards. Fultz is the exact opposite then what we need.

after his TOS surgery???

I addressed this in another post but cool do it again. Are we absolutely sure he didn’t have a surgery at all? The info was on lockdown for both Philly and Orlando is real. I assumed surgery occurred because every other instance of a player having it that I know of required surgery or at least a procedure.

https://www.vivaelbirdos.com/2012/6/29/3126967/chris-carpenter-diagnosed-with-thoracic-outlet-syndrome-throws

He tried to pitch through it but had surgery a month after.

Regardless I don’t think that changes anything if he did or didn’t have surgery it’s obviously still a major issue but of course you just care about the gotcha. Now like I said to Pepe if your insinuating that it was all fake and a cover. That is your opinion. You might be correct I don’t think there is a way for us to know. Regardless what the issue is now it’s obvious we should move on from him.
Fine print disclaimer for Fultz:
I am high on Markelle Fultz. Yes I understand he is not perfect and needs to shoot more and better and turn the ball over less. I would really like to see him play one more year… and I did and he sucks time to move on.
JoshuaPotter
Starter
And1: 681

Post#80 » by JoshuaPotter » Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:04 pm

drsd wrote:
JoshuaPotter wrote:
RookieStar wrote:

Choo-choo Keyonte train.

Not even with all of our future "cash considerations" thrown in?

Return to Orlando Magic