ImageImageImageImage

So what’s going on with Markelle Fultz this season?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,569

Re: So what’s going on with Markelle Fultz this season? 

Post#21 » by Knightro » Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:26 pm

Max Power wrote:It’s a shame things have regressed with Markelle this season. Last year he looked to finally have cleared the hurdles of the shoulder issue and played great while providing this young team some leadership.

This is a pretty big misnomer. He wasn't "great" last year by any means. He just wasn't horrible.

He was, by basically any metric, a below average starter.
JazzUte88
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,037

Post#22 » by JazzUte88 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:27 pm

Bergmaniac wrote:
JazzUte88 wrote:Would like to see him in Utah for a season and see.

If Ainge wants Utah to tank next season, you may get your wish. :lol: He'd a be a great tank commander.

His jumpshot is completely gone (he used to be a good midrange shooter, now he just refuses to shoot from outside 12 feet and his jumpshot has a horrible hitch) and he just can't get to the line at all this season despite being an athletic slasher who takes 80% of his shots in the paint. He has taken 16 FTs in total in 21 games this season.

Markelle does have the weird potential of being a 14/4/6 PG under the right team. So yeah, would be a perfect guard to “win games” with for a season to see what he’s got. Utah could help rehabilitate his shot with new staff maybe?
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,031

Post#23 » by fendilim » Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:29 pm

How to repair damaged goods?
bigdogdylan5
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,082

Post#24 » by bigdogdylan5 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:30 pm

JazzUte88 wrote:
Jiwol wrote:You obviously don't know too much about Magic basketball. MF is our best back court option and is setting himself up for extention this off-season. Our front office has his 3 year 36 million contact already prepared in a drawer. What's not to like about his game?

I’d love to see Fultz get more minutes! Just seems like he’s struggling with his shot lately again, if people remember he averaged 12/3/5 on a playoff team, not trying to be mean just being honest, it’s part of it I guess.

It’s a bit disappointing not seeing him score 12 a game like he usually has in Orlando.

Would like to see him in Utah for a season and see.

But it’s not struggling in the sense he is just off right? After his TOS surgery he changed his shot for lack of a better phrase take pressure off that area. He relied on his legs. So when his knee started flaring just a little the shot just went haywire. During shoot arounds he had the biggest hitch you could imagine. I have been to 5-6 games where he has played and I can’t watch him in shoot around it’s that bad…. I believe it was injuries but regardless if it’s injury or yips doesn’t matter the guy can’t and shouldn’t shoot. He could theoretically work if you have like 3 or 4 shooters in the 2-5 spots but I wouldn’t count on it. Everything else he does really well. That’s just not what this team wants to be. Our best action according to second spectrum is Franz iso. We want to run most of our stuff through Paolo long term. What we need from our PG is shooting with occasional ball handling relief for our two forwards. Fultz is the exact opposite then what we need.
Fine print disclaimer for Fultz:
I am high on Markelle Fultz. Yes I understand he is not perfect and needs to shoot more and better and turn the ball over less. I would really like to see him play one more year… and I did and he sucks time to move on.
JazzUte88
Lead Assistant

Post#25 » by JazzUte88 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:34 pm

Bergmaniac wrote:

If Ainge wants Utah to tank next season, you may get your wish. :lol: He'd a be a great tank commander.

His jumpshot is completely gone (he used to be a good midrange shooter, now he just refuses to shoot from outside 12 feet and his jumpshot has a horrible hitch) and he just can't get to the line at all this season despite being an athletic slasher who takes 80% of his shots in the paint. He has taken 16 FTs in total in 21 games this season.

Fultz would be the best FA option to sign for a season while they’re developing players & maybe wanting another good draft pick while not blatantly tanking. Who knows if he could find his shot again with a new team probably not?

I’d rather have new old bad Fultz for 8-10 points a game over Kris Dunn still…….it’s a shame because when his 3 & outside jumper is decent he’s good for 12-15 a game.
JazzUte88
Lead Assistant

Post#26 » by JazzUte88 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:40 pm

eyriq wrote:You are tenaciously pursuing this question across different threads and now here. He's damaged goods, injury prone, and injured. Same answer no matter how often you ask.

It’s one of the weirdest stories in sports because how well he has done other things & he’s the #1 pick that shows flashes of brilliance if he wasn’t picked that high. His shot is terrible some nights but he still might be better than Kris Dunn & Alex Caruso at times, it’s strange.
p0peye
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,020

Post#27 » by p0peye » Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:46 pm

JazzUte88 wrote:
Bergmaniac wrote:

Fultz would be the best FA option to sign for a season while they’re developing players & maybe wanting another good draft pick while not blatantly tanking. Who knows if he could find his shot again with a new team probably not?

I’d rather have new old bad Fultz for 8-10 points a game over Kris Dunn still…….it’s a shame because when his 3 & outside jumper is decent he’s good for 12-15 a game.

Markelle will be a star in Utah, if you can get him. Hypothetically speaking if we plan to tank next season, we would have to deal him in sign and trade, what would Jazz offer? As you correctly pointed out, 'Kelle is better than Dunn and Caruso, so for example you'd have to beat Bulls offer of Caruso + 1st round pick.
JazzUte88
Lead Assistant

Post#28 » by JazzUte88 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:49 pm

p0peye wrote:
JazzUte88 wrote:
Bergmaniac wrote:If Ainge wants Utah to tank next season, you may get your wish. :lol: He'd a be a great tank commander.

Markelle will be a star in Utah, if you can get him. Hypothetically speaking if we plan to tank next season, we would have to deal him in sign and trade, what would Jazz offer?

Utah will just sign him on a team friendly deal, Markelle Fultz is still a player I bet teams are interested in for 5-10 million, but not on expensive long term deals.

Maybe Utah can get him back to a 10-12 points per game point guard. He was averaging 11/3/4 before the knee injury.
bigdogdylan5
Assistant Coach

Post#29 » by bigdogdylan5 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:50 pm

JazzUte88 wrote:
eyriq wrote:You are tenaciously pursuing this question across different threads and now here. He's damaged goods, injury prone, and injured. Same answer no matter how often you ask.

It’s one of the weirdest stories in sports because how well he has done other things & he’s the #1 pick that shows flashes of brilliance if he wasn’t picked that high. His shot is terrible some nights, it’s strange.

It’s not some nights it’s legit all the time. He got better from midrange for like a season but he was completely healthy if anything is off it’s over. It’s only a weird story if you believe the TOS was bull and it’s all mental. I don’t believe that. I think he is your standard injury bust it just happens to be a more rare injury. There is not really much they can do to reverse damage of TOS. The St. Louis cardinals pitcher Chris Carpenter had it and his career ended. He tried to come back but the surgery to my knowledge just relieves pressure doesn’t necessarily fix damage done. Some of us myself included thought he could find a way around it because he was so young. I just think the damage has been done and he could still be an NBA player but shot is going to be what it is.
I am high on Markelle Fultz. Yes I understand he is not perfect and needs to shoot more and better and turn the ball over less. I would really like to see him play one more year… and I did and he sucks time to move on.
p0peye
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,020

Post#30 » by p0peye » Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:52 pm

JazzUte88 wrote:
p0peye wrote:
JazzUte88 wrote:

Markelle will be a star in Utah, if you can get him. Hypothetically speaking if we plan to tank next season, we would have to deal him in sign and trade, what would Jazz offer?

Utah will just sign him on a team friendly deal, Markelle Fultz is still a player I bet teams are interested in for 5-10 million, but not on expensive long term deals.

Maybe Utah can get him back to a 10-12 points per game point guard. He was averaging 11/3/4 before the knee injury.

He'd rather resign with Magic on a fair deal.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,138

Post#31 » by tiderulz » Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:55 pm

JazzUte88 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
JazzUte88 wrote:It’s pretty weird what’s going on with Fultz again.

He had a really good 2022-23 year averaging 14/4/6 on 51%/31% 3 last season.

Starts this 2023-24 season looking kinda average but still scoring 10-12 PPG, then gets knee tendinitis and/or TOS again, and we’ve seen he’s been kinda bad sometimes with his shot, it’s been a struggle to see.

8/4/4 player with a broken shot at best has relegated him to role player status instead of a decent PG.

What’s the deal in practice and warm ups? Has anyone followed what’s going on? Is this knee tendinitis or TOS again or both?

i dont know about you, but that isnt even close to a "really good" season to me

Fultz was decent last season. The rest of the team kinda sucked last year.

decent ill give you, really good i wont.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,328

Post#32 » by pepe1991 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:12 pm

bigdogdylan5 wrote:
JazzUte88 wrote:
Jiwol wrote:You obviously don't know too much about Magic basketball. MF is our best back court option and is setting himself up for extention this off-season. Our front office has his 3 year 36 million contact already prepared in a drawer. What's not to like about his game?

I’d love to see Fultz get more minutes! Just seems like he’s struggling with his shot lately again, if people remember he averaged 12/3/5 on a playoff team, not trying to be mean just being honest, it’s part of it I guess.

It’s a bit disappointing not seeing him score 12 a game like he usually has in Orlando.

But it’s not struggling in the sense he is just off right? After his TOS surgery he changed his shot for lack of a better phrase take pressure off that area. He relied on his legs. So when his knee started flaring just a little the shot just went haywire. During shoot arounds he had the biggest hitch you could imagine. I have been to 5-6 games where he has played and I can’t watch him in shoot around it’s that bad…. I believe it was injuries but regardless if it’s injury or yips doesn’t matter the guy can’t and shouldn’t shoot. He could theoretically work if you have like 3 or 4 shooters in the 2-5 spots but I wouldn’t count on it. Everything else he does really well. That’s just not what this team wants to be. Our best action according to second spectrum is Franz iso. We want to run most of our stuff through Paolo long term. What we need from our PG is shooting with occasional ball handling relief for our two forwards. Fultz is the exact opposite then what we need.

He never had TOS surgery tho.

Just did whole bunch of physical therapy
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,436

Post#33 » by eyriq » Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:13 pm

JazzUte88 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
JazzUte88 wrote:It’s pretty weird what’s going on with Fultz again.

He had a really good 2022-23 year averaging 14/4/6 on 51%/31% 3 last season.

Starts this 2023-24 season looking kinda average but still scoring 10-12 PPG, then gets knee tendinitis and/or TOS again, and we’ve seen he’s been kinda bad sometimes with his shot, it’s been a struggle to see.

8/4/4 player with a broken shot at best has relegated him to role player status instead of a decent PG.

What’s the deal in practice and warm ups? Has anyone followed what’s going on? Is this knee tendinitis or TOS again or both?

i dont know about you, but that isnt even close to a "really good" season to me

Fultz was decent last season. The rest of the team kinda sucked last year.
We improved by +12 wins largely because of Paolo and Franz. Full stop. If you think Fultz was a key driver you are sadly mistaken.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,436

Post#34 » by eyriq » Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:14 pm

p0peye wrote:
JazzUte88 wrote:
Bergmaniac wrote:If Ainge wants Utah to tank next season, you may get your wish. He'd a be a great tank commander.

Markelle will be a star in Utah, if you can get him. Hypothetically speaking if we plan to tank next season, we would have to deal him in sign and trade, what would Jazz offer? As you correctly pointed out, 'Kelle is better than Dunn and Caruso, so for example you'd have to beat Bulls offer of Caruso + 1st round pick.
I love you
AaronB
Bench Warmer
And1: 626

Post#35 » by AaronB » Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:47 pm

No one has been a bigger supporter of Fults than I have been.

He was quite good last year. Bordering on very good.

This year his defense has only taken a slight step down, still good, but the offense is clearly worse.

I think that the Fultz train has left the station

I would rather see what the Magic have in Mac Clung.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,995

Post#36 » by drsd » Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:52 pm

p0peye wrote:
JazzUte88 wrote:
Bergmaniac wrote:If Ainge wants Utah to tank next season, you may get your wish. :lol: He'd a be a great tank commander.

Taylor Hendricks and his sub-9 PER stands out as a SnT option for Orlando. I can't think Fultz will command more than the ~6M per that this swap would generate in salary exchange. For Orlando, the Magic get Okeke's replacement in Hendricks. Why not? He's gotta be worth a look.
JoshuaPotter
Starter
And1: 696

Post#37 » by JoshuaPotter » Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:56 pm

Knightro wrote:
Max Power wrote:It’s a shame things have regressed with Markelle this season. Last year he looked to finally have cleared the hurdles of the shoulder issue and played great while providing this young team some leadership.

This is a pretty big misnomer. He wasn't "great" last year by any means. He just wasn't horrible.

He was, by basically any metric, a below average starter.

The thread probably ended here. - The Narrator.
JoshuaPotter
Starter
And1: 696

Post#38 » by JoshuaPotter » Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:59 pm

drsd wrote:
p0peye wrote:
JazzUte88 wrote:

Taylor Hendricks and his sub-9 PER stands out as a SnT option for Orlando. I can't think Fultz will command more than the ~6M per that this swap would generate in salary exchange. For Orlando, the Magic get Okeke's replacement in Hendricks. Why not? He's gotta be worth a look.

Sign me up. I saw Taylor Hendricks as a potential Isaac clone years down the line. We do need a replacement for his minutes. So it works for me.

We also free up time for the ALL Anthony all the time PG play.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,674

Post#39 » by Skybox » Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:07 pm

JoshuaPotter wrote:
drsd wrote:
p0peye wrote:

Sign me up. I saw Taylor Hendricks as a potential Isaac clone years down the line. We do need a replacement for his minutes. So it works for me.

We also free up time for the ALL Anthony all the time PG play.

Am I reading that someone seriously thinks a Fultz SnT for Taylor Hendricks is plausible? :lol:

Quick - before Utah guy researches Fultz
bigdogdylan5
Assistant Coach

Post#40 » by bigdogdylan5 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:13 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
bigdogdylan5 wrote:
JazzUte88 wrote:

He never had TOS surgery tho.

Just did whole bunch of physical therapy

Are we totally sure about that? With how long he was out and the lockdown of information from Philly then from our side (two of the worst injury information teams) I wouldn’t be shocked if he had some sort of procedure (maybe not full surgery) to relief the pressure on the nerves. Regardless not sure it matters. Unless you’re insinuating the whole thing is fake and it’s all yips. I just don’t subscribe to that theory especially after the deterioration of his mid range shot this year as well it screams something physically wrong with shoulder.

Return to Orlando Magic