ImageImageImageImage

Magic experience

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

best of luck
Sophomore
And1: 160

Magic experience 

Post#1 » by best of luck » Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:41 pm

With the season having the all star break I didn’t realize how much I would miss the Magic playing for a week.

This season getting to watch Magic games has been such a great fun few months. I am based in Asia so everything’s through league pass 12 hours ahead.

Life swung a curve ball for my basketball mad son just over a year ago with an illness damaging his nerves and took away the use of his legs. GBS

Him being a Heat fan watching the playoffs last season with a never give up attitude really helped him through difficult times. Turns out he’s much braver than his parents.

This year is full of challenges hoping to be able to get him back intime to start high school.

But the mornings for that Orlando are playing just really give me a boost to start the day. I happily wake an hour earlier at 5am to get tasks done to be able to try and follow the game with the kids.

Im in my 40s and now wearing a Paolo and Franz jerseys first jerseys i have worn since Penny and Shaq.

From checking the line ups in the game threads and predictions from members it’s good to feel part of the community from a far.

There was a post recently about whether Magic fans were happy this season, certainly add me to the top of the happy list watching this group grow.

Before the season I hoped for 45 wins which I think we will do.

Ideally 6th place and 2nd round would be perfect, just no sweeps like we suffered 94-96 years which still stings.

Enjoy the run in everyone and thanks for keeping fans abroad so in touch with the Magic.

I still don’t have the private message feature work so can’t reply to anything other than in the message board.

Magic fan since 93
Peter Saout
Please visit @Domsamui on YouTube my 11 year old son needs all the love he can get from the basketball community in his fight to walk again.
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 3,430

Re: Magic experience 

Post#2 » by UCFJayBird » Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:28 pm

Thanks for sharing! Sorry to hear about your son's health issues. I hope things improve soon.
D J C
Pro Prospect
And1: 516

Post#3 » by D J C » Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:30 pm

Sorry to hear about your son, sending love from Orlando for his recovery. Sounds like a great kid and very strong willed.

Always cool hearing from Magic fans from all around the world! We're definitely entering a new era and this next decade will be great to watch our team grow with your kids, a lot of good memories to be had.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,878

Post#4 » by RookieStar » Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:50 pm

Oh man sad to hear about your son. GBS huh... the doctor thought i had that due to my reaction with the covid vaccine. Turns out it was something else.

I totally understand and feel for you.
best of luck
Sophomore

Post#5 » by best of luck » Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:47 pm

Thanks for the responses with the support, it really means a lot.

Basketball was my sons life and he played at home in the garden for hours along with going to the local court.
School was going to have its first basketball team since Covid that he was so excited for.
In September 22 I even downloaded a Drew Hanlan app and did 30 hours so that I could help coach my son not knowing that a few months later he wouldn’t be able to walk.

I thought I would be too upset to think about basketball and our hoop at home hasn’t been used in a year.

But these couple hours of game day just really help, the excitement leading up to tip off and expectations I feel almost like a teenager back for the start of the mid 90s run.

Had only recently started using social media when my son got I’ll, but Magic highlights would be putting a name to our super fan at each game and also a message with Nick Anderson which was cool for me.

Anyway let’s go Magic, I will be enjoying the ride this season and determined to make a home game next season for the first time since 1994 once we are further along the recovery.
Please visit @Domsamui on YouTube my 11 year old son needs all the love he can get from the basketball community in his fight to walk again.
MasterGMer
Veteran
And1: 589

Post#6 » by MasterGMer » Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:53 am

Thank you for sharing! Magic game really gave us something to hope for in our daily lives! Don't forget, we will be in the playoffs this year so that is more exciting! Hope Magic do well and I believe Magic will do well!
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 13,096

Post#7 » by MagicMatic » Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:15 pm

RookieStar wrote:Oh man sad to hear about your son. GBS huh... the doctor thought i had that due to my reaction with the covid vaccine. Turns out it was something else.

Yeah... This actually happened to me during covid also. Strange Im hearing about it here of all places. Arms and legs freezing and twitching. Crazy. Thought it was GBS
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,432

Post#8 » by eyriq » Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:21 pm

Sorry to hear about your son, sending best wishes
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#9 » by RookieStar » Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:12 pm

MagicMatic wrote:
RookieStar wrote:Oh man sad to hear about your son. GBS huh... the doctor thought i had that due to my reaction with the covid vaccine. Turns out it was something else.

Yeah... This actually happened to me during covid also. Strange Im hearing about it here of all places. Arms and legs freezing and twitching. Crazy. Thought it was GBS

Mine was loss of motion. Seems my proximal muscles were inflamed. They thought it was GBS too until the EMG tests just showed inflamed muscles.

Still spent more than a week in the hospital with a catheter attached. lol
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#10 » by RookieStar » Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:14 pm

They kinda certified it was the vaccine because 3 days after the 2nd dose was when I started having pains and after I think 10days of testing they admitted me to the hospital.
MagicMatic
RealGM

Post#11 » by MagicMatic » Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:18 pm

RookieStar wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:

Mine was loss of motion. Seems my proximal muscles were inflamed. They thought it was GBS too until the EMG tests just showed inflamed muscles.

oh man. yeah the emg tests were brutal on legs and arms. sorry to hear that bro.
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#12 » by RookieStar » Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:44 pm

MagicMatic wrote:
RookieStar wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:

oh man. yeah the emg tests were brutal on legs and arms. sorry to hear that bro.

Legs and arms were fairly ok compared to the spine and neck lol

Yeah im so.ewhat recovered although not 100% back to normal.
MagicMatic
RealGM

Post#13 » by MagicMatic » Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:02 pm

RookieStar wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:
RookieStar wrote:

same. still not 100%. vax was a bitch
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#14 » by RookieStar » Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:46 pm

MagicMatic wrote:
RookieStar wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:

same. still not 100%. vax was a bitch

Lol same2x
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,031

Post#15 » by fendilim » Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:23 am

Sorry to hear about your sons prognosis.

His videos are nice to watch.

Hoping for his speedy recovery.

How long have u been in thailand?
best of luck
Sophomore

Post#16 » by best of luck » Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:08 am

The causes of GBS are still unclear although many have mentioned vaccines and Covid and stress,
In Dominic’s case he had a fever after school one day and within a few days had lost use of his legs.

We are lucky that he doesn’t need any further medicine and 1 leg has recovered very well.
For his 2nd leg to recover it is just down to hope that the nerves grow back (being a growing kid hopefully helps) and then learn to use his muscles again after 14 months being unable to stand.

Really good win yesterday and hope we don’t slip up with the Pistons tomorrow.
best of luck
Sophomore

Post#17 » by best of luck » Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:34 am

fendilim wrote:Sorry to hear about your sons prognosis.

His videos are nice to watch.

Hoping for his speedy recovery.

How long have u been in thailand?

Thank you, I moved to an island called Koh Samui in 2001, meant to only be here a week and now married with kids.
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#18 » by RookieStar » Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:50 am

best of luck wrote:The causes of GBS are still unclear although many have mentioned vaccines and Covid and stress,
In Dominic’s case he had a fever after school one day and within a few days had lost use of his legs.

We are lucky that he doesn’t need any further medicine and 1 leg has recovered very well.
For his 2nd leg to recover it is just down to hope that the nerves grow back (being a growing kid hopefully helps) and then learn to use his muscles again after 14 months being unable to stand.

Really good win yesterday and hope we don’t slip up with the Pistons tomorrow.

The doctor told me that in their world of doctors where they have their own version of realgm, GBS was mentioned a lot for patients after taking the vaccines. I think he told me so as not to make me feel too worried when i temp loss mobility in some parts of the body.

But yes, good to hear your son is recovering. As much as your son, MagicMatic and I have sever side effects of the vaccine, at least we are still alivr conpared to the others.

Return to Orlando Magic