ImageImageImageImage

Would you draft Caitlin Clark (NBA)

Moderators: ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami

three3d
Junior
And1: 62

Would you draft Caitlin Clark (NBA) 

Post#1 » by three3d » Sun Mar 3, 2024 10:38 pm

I can’t find a rule excluding women from entering the NBA draft, if I have missed it this topic doesn’t matter. In light of All Star weekend and watching the Steph Curry VS Sabrina Ionescu 3pt shootout it might be time to ask, would, could you see an NBA team drafting a talent like Caitlin Clark? It’s clear we need shooting and she’s an amazing shooter. She already has NBA range, only difference is the ball. Being the first one to do something crazy like this would come with scrutiny and lots of coverage, but what would it take for you to pull the trigger on this history?
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,522

Re: Would you draft Caitlin Clark (NBA) 

Post#2 » by eyriq » Sun Mar 3, 2024 10:47 pm

I'd work her out. I think she'd be electric to root for.
Bergmaniac
Head Coach
And1: 9,639

Post#3 » by Bergmaniac » Sun Mar 3, 2024 10:57 pm

We won't be tanking, so this is a terrible idea. There is a reason no woman has made it to the NBA so far, the athleticism gap between the sexes is too big.
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,159

Post#4 » by Def Swami » Sun Mar 3, 2024 11:05 pm

Instantly the best shooter on the team.
Last Guardian
RealGM
And1: 4,013

Post#5 » by Last Guardian » Sun Mar 3, 2024 11:21 pm

Shooting is fine...she'd also be the single biggest defensive liability in history
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,044

Post#6 » by fendilim » Sun Mar 3, 2024 11:40 pm

Bergmaniac wrote:We won't be tanking, so this is a terrible idea. There is a reason no woman has made it to the NBA so far, the athleticism gap between the sexes is too big.

I agree. He might be Jimmer Fredette 2.0 in the NBA
ORLMagicGirl15
RealGM
And1: 3,838

Post#7 » by ORLMagicGirl15 » Mon Mar 4, 2024 12:09 am

Def Swami wrote:Instantly the best shooter on the team.

I don’t think she would be able to get a shot up. The defense on her would be insane.
For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.-John 3:16

Go Magic, Go Dwight, Go Vuc, Go Paolo, Go Keegan :)
davey_wavy
Sixth Man
And1: 1,012

Post#8 » by davey_wavy » Mon Mar 4, 2024 12:11 am

She wouldn’t be able to get to her spots. Too physical
ORLMagicGirl15
RealGM
And1: 3,838

Post#9 » by ORLMagicGirl15 » Mon Mar 4, 2024 12:12 am

three3d wrote:I can’t find a rule excluding women from entering the NBA draft, if I have missed it this topic doesn’t matter. In light of All Star weekend and watching the Steph Curry VS Sabrina Ionescu 3pt shootout it might be time to ask, would, could you see an NBA team drafting a talent like Caitlin Clark? It’s clear we need shooting and she’s an amazing shooter. She already has NBA range, only difference is the ball. Being the first one to do something crazy like this would come with scrutiny and lots of coverage, but what would it take for you to pull the trigger on this history?

If I am not mistaken, women can try out for men’s sports, it just does not normally work out very well for us. However, I believe men are excluded from women’s sport due to their physical advantage.
For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.-John 3:16

Go Magic, Go Dwight, Go Vuc, Go Paolo, Go Keegan :)
CZ Eddie
Starter
And1: 824

Post#10 » by CZ Eddie » Mon Mar 4, 2024 12:57 am

Would
Keep your politics out of my sports
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,734

Post#11 » by Knightro » Mon Mar 4, 2024 1:24 am

LOL obviously not.

She'd immediately be the single worst defensive player in the history of the NBA.
MasterGMer
Veteran
And1: 593

Post#12 » by MasterGMer » Mon Mar 4, 2024 1:34 am

Is it even possible? If it is possible, I think maybe, maybe idk. Does she have the physicality to play in the NBA? The Speed? The strength?

It would be evolutionary. But everything happens for a reason
Bakomagic
Bench Warmer
And1: 899

Post#13 » by Bakomagic » Mon Mar 4, 2024 1:38 am

She’d get hunted if she played against IMG let alone the NBA.
OrlandoMagic
Lead Assistant
And1: 435

Post#14 » by OrlandoMagic » Mon Mar 4, 2024 2:24 am

Honestly I would not. And that’s solely based on the fact that women use a smaller ball. Shooting is a lot of muscle memory etc, so adjusting the ball size you would literally have to relearn your form. Not saying it can’t happen but nothing I personally would be interested in. In fact women should be using a men’s size basketball in college just to prep women who could eventually make it to the NBA have an easier transition.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,897

Post#15 » by RookieStar » Mon Mar 4, 2024 2:24 am

CZ Eddie wrote:Would

Wood
golfreak
Rookie
And1: 91

Post#16 » by golfreak » Mon Mar 4, 2024 3:42 am

Stop the madness please.
Women can't compete with men. Period.
Serena Williams, best woman tennis player ever and she can't beat a ~400th rank men. And they use the same ball and court.
For anyone who thinks a woman that's been shooting a smaller and lighter ball all their life can just be as effective shooting a bigger and heavier ball is out of their mind. Not to mention she has to shoot over taller and faster men players.
She can't even compete vs top high school players in my opinion.
ogmagicfan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,726

Post#17 » by ogmagicfan » Mon Mar 4, 2024 6:15 am

Someone made a good comparison on socials that completely shut the door on this convo.

Jimmer killed it on college but couldnt get PT in the NBA because of defense/size

For Caitlin itd be even worse, and she's smaller

nuff said
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,225

Post#18 » by cedric76 » Mon Mar 4, 2024 6:40 am

Last Guardian wrote:Shooting is fine...she'd also be the single biggest defensive liability in history

Worst than trae? :-)
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go
Offer Harris and goga a 1+1 deal

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic

Suggs, AB, Carter
Monk, Jett, Harris
Franz, Jett, Houstan
Paolo, Moe, (Cole trade)
Wcj, JI, goga
AaronB
Bench Warmer
And1: 629

Post#19 » by AaronB » Mon Mar 4, 2024 6:41 am

In professional tennis, they actually have a rating system that puts men and women on the same scale (called UTR).

As an example, when S Williams (possibly the best woman player in the history of women's tennis) was in her prime, she would lose 0-6, 0-6 to the 100th ranked male professional player.

My daughter had a male tennis coach who when he played for UCLA (middle of the roster player) was hired to play with the #1 woman player in the world at the time Sharapova and they made him hit only second serves otherwise he beat her too easy.

Male professional tennis players (and basketball players) are just too strong and fast.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,374

Post#20 » by pepe1991 » Mon Mar 4, 2024 7:51 am

When i was 16 i dated at times youth national team basketball player. Her first cousin was pro,she went to Olympic games and all that (and man, she was hot).

So often we played street ball, and i can tell you , girl could shoot lights out. But yea... reaction time, speed, durability, strenght, it's just not comparable.

That's why whole "trans" thing is destruction of female sport. You can send average recreative soccer player who drinks 25 beers per week and has utlra low test level and that guy would look like prime Ronaldo compared to elite soccer female players. Your genetics are simply different.

Female 100 m sprint record is held since 1988 and it's 10,49 sec.
Male's olympic STANDARDS to even get to qualifications for Olympic games, even back in 1984 was 10,44.

Basically, to even get anywhere near the race, you would have to be faster than fastest female athlete during fastest race in female's history.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon

Return to Orlando Magic