ImageImageImageImage

Magic is now the 4th seed in the East. Countdown to 50 wins.

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,838

Re: Magic is now the 4th seed in the East. Countdown to 50 wins. 

Post#101 » by RookieStar » Fri Mar 8, 2024 9:20 pm

So we all have to check on our rear-view mirror and see NY and MIA bearing down on us.
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,661

Post#102 » by SOUL » Fri Mar 8, 2024 11:36 pm

davey_wavy wrote:
eyriq wrote:
magik9113 wrote:very big game tonight indeed
Feels like the biggest so far. The Boston game during the IST was pretty hype too

From a competitor standpoint, NY not having Randle, OG and possibly Brunson (questionable) cheapens the hype of this game for me. I dont want to beat up on injury battered teams; I want to beat fully healthy teams that way I know where we truly stand on totem pole. To get a win here doesnt tell us much..

Suggs out and Brunson playing, even now? :lol:

We barely beat WAS away and Utah at home, I think a lot of you underestimate how hard it is to consistently beat teams on the road even if their star players aren't playing. Especially when we consistently lose to Hawks and Nets.
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#103 » by RookieStar » Sat Mar 9, 2024 3:40 am

So.. we still im 4th right? Good thing we are 3-1 against the knicks
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,292

Post#104 » by eyriq » Sat Mar 9, 2024 3:42 am

RookieStar wrote:So.. we still im 4th right? Good thing we are 3-1 against the knicks
half a game back
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#105 » by RookieStar » Sat Mar 9, 2024 3:49 am

eyriq wrote:
RookieStar wrote:So.. we still im 4th right? Good thing we are 3-1 against the knicks
half a game back

So we are 5th now? Hmmm alright. 6th is my cutoff lo
p0peye
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,006

Post#106 » by p0peye » Sat Mar 9, 2024 10:13 am

eyriq wrote:
p0peye wrote:We are still a play-in team from talent perspective which has been propelled to high seed by injuries to key players in several better teams (Sixers, Cavs, Knicks). We are not a contender team until one of Paolo and Franz becomes All-NBA talent level with other being perennial All Star.
I don't disagree with this. Looking at ESPN and their playoff basketball power index gives us an idea of East tiers:

Contenders:
Celtics
Bucks

Dark horses:
Cavs
Sixers
Knicks
Heat

Pretenders:
Pacers
Hawks
Magic

Doormats:
Raptors
Nets
Bulls

Correct. With other teams struggling with injuries we may finish the year as 4th or 5th seed, maybe even win a playoff series depending on matchup, but it doesn't change the talent level in our team which is of play-in team. We are Atlanta Hawks from 2021 and that is OK.

What's not OK is not improving the team.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,639

Post#107 » by Skybox » Sat Mar 9, 2024 11:55 am

4/5 still very possible if we keep it together. NYK in first round…home court would be great but unlikely, imo. I still prefer that among other foreseeable playoff matchups, but I’ve believed, since the day after the disappointing trade deadline, that ORL is headed for a sound thumping and exposure in the playoffs without a viable, reliable third scoring threat. I just hope it’s not a sweep…unless that’s what it takes to make Weltman’s seat finally warm up.

Skipping the play-in would be a very successful season but, hopefully we don’t spend the summer congratulating ourselves. We could easily drop a few slots next season if we’re not sneaking up on teams. Paolo is a bad mf’er. His poise and demeanor, at his age, is amazing…give him another strong guard on Franz’ level and we’ve got something.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#108 » by eyriq » Sat Mar 9, 2024 11:58 am

Skybox wrote:4/5 still very possible if we keep it together. NYK in first round…home court would be great but unlikely, imo. I still prefer that among other foreseeable playoff matchups, but I’ve believed, since the day after the disappointing trade deadline, that ORL is headed for a sound thumping and exposure in the playoffs without a viable, reliable third scoring threat. I just hope it’s not a sweep…unless that’s what it takes to make Weltman’s seat finally warm up.

Skipping the play-in would be a very successful season but, hopefully we don’t spend the summer congratulating ourselves. We could easily drop a few slots next season if we’re not sneaking up on teams. Paolo is a bad mf’er. His poise and demeanor, at his age, is amazing…give him another strong guard on Franz’ level and we’ve got something.
Nothing that can happen the rest of the season will make Weltman's seat warm up.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,639

Post#109 » by Skybox » Sat Mar 9, 2024 12:07 pm

eyriq wrote:
Skybox wrote:4/5 still very possible if we keep it together. NYK in first round…home court would be great but unlikely, imo. I still prefer that among other foreseeable playoff matchups, but I’ve believed, since the day after the disappointing trade deadline, that ORL is headed for a sound thumping and exposure in the playoffs without a viable, reliable third scoring threat. I just hope it’s not a sweep…unless that’s what it takes to make Weltman’s seat finally warm up.

Nothing that can happen the rest of the season will make Weltman's seat warm up.

I disagree except for the fact that ORL ownership doesn’t seem to really know or care about winning basketball. UTA had a few seasons where they rolled over the regular season but got exposed badly in the playoffs…then blew it up. This is a very limited team that’s done well…playoffs could be brutal. I really hope they clamp down and stay clear of the play-in. A one game playoff experience would leave a very sour taste. I don’t think any team in the top 10 or even 12 in the East would prefer a playoff matchup against a team other than ORL - even if we’ve beaten them. If you can slow down Paolo, you’re likely to win. Franz will win games, but he’s not frightening every night, like Paolo.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#110 » by eyriq » Sat Mar 9, 2024 1:24 pm

Skybox wrote:
eyriq wrote:

I disagree except for the fact that ORL ownership doesn’t seem to really know or care about winning basketball. UTA had a few seasons where they rolled over the regular season but got exposed badly in the playoffs…then blew it up. This is a very limited team that’s done well…playoffs could be brutal. I really hope they clamp down and stay clear of the play-in. A one game playoff experience would leave a very sour taste. I don’t think any team in the top 10 or even 12 in the East would prefer a playoff matchup against a team other than ORL - even if we’ve beaten them. If you can slow down Paolo, you’re likely to win. Franz will win games, but he’s not frightening every night, like Paolo.

Everyone expects the playoffs to be brutal. Everyone knows we are a team being led by rookie contracts and a junior coach. Everyone can see we are in year 3 of a rebuild and trending up. All this is obvious to everyone. No one expects Paolo and Franz to lead us deep into the playoffs.

We are literally transitioning from talent acquisition and evaluation to team building this off-season.

Return to Orlando Magic