ImageImageImageImage

2023-2024 Regular Season Game 64: Orlando Magic (37-26) at New York Knicks (36-26) - 7:30pm

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 13,027

Re: 2023-2024 Regular Season Game 64: Orlando Magic (37-26) at New York Knicks (36-26) - 7:30pm 

Post#541 » by MagicMatic » Sat Mar 9, 2024 6:46 pm

This was by far one of the worst games of the season.

The problem with this team is twofold.

There is no starting point guard. Period. You will struggle when teams can scheme against Paolo having the ball 80% of the time in his hands and no outlet otherwise. The offense looks like trash and there were a zillion turnovers because it’s predictable and rushed when it isn’t boiled down to “give Paolo the ball”. Teams now know this.

I don’t care what the arguments are against giving a guy like Tyus Jones a shot. Orlando isn’t in the position of landing a top 15 point guard with their current asset pool and desirability as a free agent destination. And no, I don’t really care how players look in different systems. Anything is better than Fultz or Cole running the offense. Black isn’t there yet, he’s a low usage 3-D defender currently as a rookie.

The other problem is shooting. This goes along with the first problem simultaneously. Franz has been abysmal at shooting the basketball as have been the guards not named Suggs. Paolo isn’t stretching the floor in possessions and Franz obviously hasn’t been. Therefore, the rest of the lineup needs to be looking to shoot the basketball. Orlando doesn’t come out of huge deficits without it and this game showed that glaringly.

Both of these problems could have addressed in the last two seasons and weren’t. And yeah, they aren’t issues that Mosely is responsible for per se, but he has to get more creative on offense outside of the same two actions with Franz/Paolo and relying on the bench to generate offense.

To me, these problems are perpetuated by not moving Fultz, Okeke, or Gary Harris for some kind of return that fixes these issues. None of those players are worth more than solving the problem of lacking a point guard or floor spacing. You want to draft Jett Howard and give Caleb Houstan minutes? Cool. Then you don’t need these players taking salary cap from assets that provide something for Paolo and co. If your aspirations are making a playoff run without embarrassing yourself.
J the Drafter
Starter
And1: 298

Re: 2023-2024 Regular Season Game 64: Orlando Magic (37-26) at New York Knicks (36-26) - 7:30pm 

Post#542 » by J the Drafter » Sat Mar 9, 2024 8:10 pm

j_n wrote:Maybe I'm excusing the team here because we did have an off night offensively regardless but this was the worst officiated first half I have ever seen, including the fixed Donahgy game against Phoenix.

At a certain point it seemed intentional, we were being hacked on every drive, the refs missed at least 30 calls in the first half, mostly against us.
I didn't watch most of the second half but to me that was the real story of the game, these refs should be suspended and investigated.

I missed the first several minutes of the game, but I did see at least two Banchero drives that should have been an and-1, along with a Brunson shot that looked like it should have been a foul.

I’ve started watching NBA games this week, and in almost all of them the refs were letting blatant fouls go. My guess is that the league is trying to slow down scoring, but referees have been too generous to the defense.

Of course, the betting thing is a possibility too.
Remember when Kobe elbowed Jameer in the chin so hard Jameer was knocked down and sent skidding across the floor?
Pepperidge Farm remembers.*

*Futurama
JF5
RealGM
And1: 3,917

Post#543 » by JF5 » Sat Mar 9, 2024 9:08 pm

Got crushed by a veteran squad... squad who is fighting us for a higher seeding. The results aren't shocking. Just need to bounce back on Sunday
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,841

Post#544 » by RookieStar » Sat Mar 9, 2024 10:18 pm

Tired legs, demoralizing loss of a key player in Suggs, Opponent get unexpected help and morale boost by a return of their leader plus they were hitting all their 3pt shots in the 1st quarter alone....

Actually when they fouled the heck out of our players in the 1st 3mins of the game and it wasn't called, we all knew it was a PO atmosphere. Our guys are too raw and young for it.

It is what it is.... on to the more important game against IND
DiplomaticMagic
Head Coach
And1: 2,533

Post#545 » by DiplomaticMagic » Sat Mar 9, 2024 10:43 pm

Its games like this which make me wonder if we will win a game in playoffs.

Btw Knick fans are unbearable on twitter. Jesus christ...
STOP PLAYING FULTZ
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#546 » by RookieStar » Sat Mar 9, 2024 10:48 pm

DiplomaticMagic wrote:Its games like this which make me wonder if we will win a game in playoffs.

They don't know that this season we have a 3-1 record or something? lol

Its kinda like that dude ( i forgot who ) who flexed and trash talked tha opponents bench after a made dunk even though they were down by 30 and 2mins left or something.
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#547 » by RookieStar » Sat Mar 9, 2024 10:49 pm

DiplomaticMagic wrote:Its games like this which make me wonder if we will win a game in playoffs.

But yeah, at best we will win 1 game in a very lucky way. but then get beaten down every other game. Which is what the best outcome we all expected before this season started.

Return to Orlando Magic