ImageImageImageImage

What do you think of Coach Mosley's offensive schemes?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

What do you think of Mosley's offensive schemes?

It's great, shutup
7%
It's good, but he is being held back.
7%
It's average, and he is part of the problem.
18%
It's average, and he is not part of the problem.
29%
It's below average, p5 and Franz have come to the rescue.
39%

Total votes: 28

SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,665

Re: What do you think of Coach Mosley's offensive schemes? 

Post#81 » by SOUL » Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:10 am

eyriq wrote:I actually think the lack of a clear hierarchy beneath Paolo and Franz is a symptom of indecision and lack of strategy rather than a deliberate and adaptable approach. By not allowing Suggs to consistently play significant minutes or close games Mosley risks the establishment of a core group that can synergize effectively.

While adaptability is valuable having too fluid a rotation can lead to confusion and inconsistency on the court.

This isn't like a huge criticism of mine. I think overall he mostly does a great job, but it is a pet peeve. I hate it. When he says by committee I want to punch a kitten.

Yeah, but you can see how selective accountability in coaching can cause coaching issues - saying one player deserves to always close games. I don't think it's been a phenomena of Suggs not closing games, he seems to be in most of them.

I think your particular gripe is that he sits 2-3 minutes too long sometimes. Where he could average 32 minutes instead of 27. We don't know if this is by design or not. If him and Mose have talked it over and found a sweet spot for his style of play, or if he is trying to get minutes for everyone. Like I said, guys like Jokic can demand to play 38 minutes a game but if it makes him tired and less effective, why risk that? Play him 32 instead. Hell, I'd want 40 minutes for some of our guys if injury risks and fatigue wasn't a thing. I'm all for Suggs getting over 30 next year though.

I guess my question is, where else in the league do you see clear hierarchy of a mishmash of 8-13 PPG scorers elsewhere in the league? I don't think it exists. I'm talking about natural 9-13 PPG guys, not Jrue Holiday types where you know you can score 20 but are forced into a smaller role. You can't really point to mercurial scorers and bench guys on our team and be like "Hey, you're #6 in offensive importance!'

I also think you're misinterpreting the phrase "by committee" - it means we don't have a heliocentric offense around one guy like Doncic or prime Harden. Hell, people get mad we play so much iso with Paolo/Franz (since they're iso players lol) and true by committee teams are just getting it done when their names are called.

When your team is full of often injured guys, guys who just straight up don't have it on certain nights, or guys who are matchup dependent, it literally is a by committee approach because there are games where you might need Okeke and Houstan and Goga to step up, the bench to save us, or the starters to put their stamp on the game from the beginning. I think it's very clear who the alpha scorers on the team are and who the defensive heads of the snake are, the rest of the players have to actually prove where they want to contribute consistently.
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 10,032

Post#82 » by KillMonger » Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:23 am

I also think there should be somewhat of a consolidation......we should be playing 9 guys max.... But we have a 10 man... 11 man rotation?

Sent from my [Hands] using RealGM mobile app
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,930

Post#83 » by drsd » Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:36 am

KillMonger wrote:I also think there should be somewhat of a consolidation......we should be playing 9 guys max.... But we have a 10 man... 11 man rotation?

And-1

Fultz/Anthony/Black
Suggs/G-Harris
F-Wagner/Ingles
Banchero/Isaac
Carter/M-Wagner/Bitadze

When healthy, that's 12. And even when Black and Bitadze eat DNPCDs, it's still 10. So what to do? The simple answer is to bench Ingles or G-Harris. That's not gonna happen though.

Come playoff time, assuming the Magic is healthy, coach is going to have to tighten the roster.

I think all the guards are in two-man rotations with each other, so it "should" be G-Harris that's benched for:

Fultz/Anthony
Suggs
F-Wagner/Ingles
Banchero/Isaac
Carter/M-Wagner

I'd be shocked if this is what we fans will see in round-1 of the playoffs though.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,734

Post#84 » by basketballRob » Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:30 am

eyriq wrote:
SOUL wrote:
eyriq wrote:Outside of Paolo and Franz there is no clear hierarchy, no clear identity. Suggs averages 26.6 mpg, WCJ 26.2 mpg, Harris 23.1, Cole 23, Fultz 22.3, and then another four players around 17-18 mpg, and then JI and Caleb.

There is no hierarchy underneath Franz and Paolo because before this season, Suggs had not separated himself as Paolo and Franz had during their rookie/rookie-soph seasons. The fans themselves don't even consider many players outside of three of our guys as "keepers", so minutes are going to be highly varied. Injuries make this varied too.

eyriq wrote:Players close that didn't start, and it's a bit of throwing stuff against the glass and seeing what sticks each night.

Game by game our best players are highly varied. There are no 5 players you can point to that deserve to close every night. Sometimes it's Cole, sometimes it's AB, sometimes it's Moe, sometimes it's Isaac, sometimes it's Goga, sometimes it's WCJ. You usually will have a combination of Franz-Paolo-Suggs, but sometimes even Suggs isn't effective in the game and we need a weird lineup.

eyriq wrote:Suggs should average +30 mpg and close games, for a start.

He does close most games. I'd like to see him around 30, but he's a player that his minutes should ramp up in the post-season. I think with Fultz out of the picture it'll become like that next season.

We need to remember players get tired and you want them at optimal playing times. Suggs by far plays the hardest on the defensive end, and he's tasked to do a decent amount on offense as well - Jokic for his career averages 31 minutes while LeBron averages 38. I'll take less minutes for Suggs if it allows him to do more out there. If he can ramp up and still do that, obviously I prefer that.

I actually think the lack of a clear hierarchy beneath Paolo and Franz is a symptom of indecision and lack of strategy rather than a deliberate and adaptable approach. By not allowing Suggs to consistently play significant minutes or close games Mosley risks the establishment of a core group that can synergize effectively.

While adaptability is valuable having too fluid a rotation can lead to confusion and inconsistency on the court.

This isn't like a huge criticism of mine. I think overall he mostly does a great job, but it is a pet peeve. I hate it. When he says by committee I want to punch a kitten.
Some players like Isaac and Suggs just can't play that many minutes. I actually think the increase in Franz' minutes may be playing a role in his poor shooting. If he played 28 mpg instead of 33 mpg, his shooting averages would be much higher.

I remember before Isaac's first injury, they kept increasing his minutes until he finally broke.

I do think part of the reason we don't play Goga and AB more over Wendell and Fultz is their contracts. That part I agree with you.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM mobile app
KillMonger
RealGM

Post#85 » by KillMonger » Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:20 am

this video had me dying laughing
Furinkazan
General Manager
And1: 3,534

Post#86 » by Furinkazan » Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:23 pm

I didn't realise we had any

our battles are directed sir?:o

basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,734

Post#87 » by basketballRob » Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:01 pm

KillMonger wrote:
They need to bring him to practice and give him a mic to roast the players.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM mobile app
JoshuaPotter
Starter
And1: 681

Post#88 » by JoshuaPotter » Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:11 pm

KillMonger wrote:

Ladies and gentlemen

This is a top 5 defense in the NBA.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 13,025

Post#89 » by MagicMatic » Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:26 pm

KillMonger wrote:

This was my internal dialogue during this game.

Suggs and Isaac make Mosely look far better defensively than you could even imagine.
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,665

Post#90 » by SOUL » Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:09 pm

He does it to every team.
KillMonger
RealGM

Post#91 » by KillMonger » Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:24 am

SOUL wrote:He does it to every team.

yep and he's mostly correct
MagicMatic
RealGM

Post#92 » by MagicMatic » Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:33 pm

Yeah that’s his shtick. He wasn’t wrong in this game. They got punched in the mouth early and had no intention of playing defense the rest of the game.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,293

Post#93 » by eyriq » Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:39 pm

KillMonger wrote:

He is convincing, but the hyperbole, while entertaining, undermines his credibility.
JoshuaPotter
Starter
And1: 681

Post#94 » by JoshuaPotter » Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:53 pm

eyriq wrote:
KillMonger wrote:

He is convincing, but the hyperbole, while entertaining, undermines his credibility.

Yeah no offense, even if he is right it lacks two things.

- All of his scenarios lack nuance. Assuming that players should go 100% on both ends of the floor is just not realistic. Or that a player who may not look that far out of position can somehow, magically (pun intended) teleport into a good position.
- The screaming I am 100% sure is for entertainment. Because if he is yelling to sound smarter.....

In terms of youtube in general, "screamtube" gets more views. Just how we are wired for some reason. Like we can't not stop looking at a train wreck or a funny cat fail video.

I am so glad my 12y is mostly past screamtube for entertainment. He has an occasional video that still does it.
ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God
And1: 14,487

Post#95 » by ibraheim718 » Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:40 am

Do we even definitely know they're his?
KillMonger
RealGM

Post#96 » by KillMonger » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:41 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

does mose call all the plays? if so this is a problem
ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God
And1: 14,487

Post#97 » by ibraheim718 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:48 pm

I've been complaining about his offense since day 1. My biggest problem is his inability to see or know that if you have P5 bringing the ball up and initiating the offense from the top of the key you're just making it harder for him because all 5 defenders have their eyes on him. He used to do it with Franz a lot more and now it's just primarily P5.
MartinsIzAfraud
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,119

Post#98 » by MartinsIzAfraud » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:54 pm

Not having a guard capable of handling the ball and being a threat is forcing a lot of pre-set calls and if that doesn't get us a look we're lost sauce.
A scoring guard.. never heard of one. :roll:
MagicMatic
RealGM

Post#99 » by MagicMatic » Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:35 pm

KillMonger wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

does mose call all the plays? if so this is a problem

Oh jeez look at all these accounts with agendas...

No but seriously. This is why people should be mad nothing was accomplished at the trade deadline for a vet fill in PG.

You are either blaming Mosely, the FO, or both. Neither isn't really an option unless you are eating homer slop.
OrlChamps2030
General Manager
And1: 4,160

Post#100 » by OrlChamps2030 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:50 pm

MartinsIzAfraud wrote:Not having a guard capable of handling the ball and being a threat is forcing a lot of pre-set calls and if that doesn't get us a look we're lost sauce.

Suggs’ improvement has been amazing this year..

And even with those improvements we easily have one of the worst guard rotations in the league

The FO seriously miscalculated what Fultz’ impact would be this season. Mosley could improve (like all coaches) but he has worked miracles this season IMO

Return to Orlando Magic