ImageImageImageImage

Can Magic keep this team together? How can Magic be in contention?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 3,419

Re: Can Magic keep this team together? How can Magic be in contention? 

Post#41 » by UCFJayBird » Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:52 pm

Franz probably gets a max extension, or damn near close. Close enough that he wouldn't want to risk injury and wait until next summer to test restricted free agency.

Suggs won't get a max extension at this point, but if he decided he wanted to test restricted free agency next summer he could potentially play his way into one by another team and the Magic would likely have to match. However, same reasoning as above, that's a big risk to take with potential for injuries, especially for a guy who has actually been banged up a bit his first couple of years. I'd say if the Magic were to offer him a good deal he'd take it as well.

Paolo obviously getting a max extension the second he's eligible.

The question the Magic have to ask is really what else do they do this summer, because this summer will be the free agency/trading period that will determine the next 5-7 years of salary cap. They'll have a ton of cap space, do they go out and find a couple of pieces for long term depth while leaving the main core as the 3 above, or do they go out and try and find one big piece to put together with them? Or do they see the cost and look ahead and say "we'll be bleeding through the nose once these guys get renewed and push us so far into luxury tax, we need to just focus on smaller pieces around these guys."
The-Stallion70
Rookie
And1: 388

Post#42 » by The-Stallion70 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:07 pm

AaronB wrote:
The-Stallion70 wrote:
AaronB wrote:
They actually provided very viable reasoning, you just can't or won't read (listen).

I have seen that in your posts over and over.

I suspect this whole idea of not listening to others is a dragon that pops up over and over in your every day existance.

I asked a pretty clear and obvious question in response to someone else saying that Siggs may get the same amount as Franz. My question was explain how Suggs gets paid the same as Franz.

The answers I got were support for Suggs but then they finished by saying that they don't think he'll get paid as much as Franz. Therefore this doesn't really answer the question.

What is hard to understand about that bucko?

You are the poster who said that Suggs may get $144M which I would be shocked my because of inconsistent performance and injury history.

I stated in my post that I think he should get an extension because he's a good player but paying him as much as Franz is crazy.

You can't just pay the guy cause he's a fan favorite. Marcus Smartv was a fan but now the Celts are better than since they replaced him with Jrue holiday who is a better overall player.

I suspect your inability to grasp basic things like this pops up in your everyday existence as well.

Looks I was right again, you don't read or listen.

I have never said that Suggs would get "144". I have put out 2 numbers, a 4-year number, and a 5-year number, and neither are "144".

The numbers I have put out are really high and I think that they will prove out in the end.

Hah, you're right, you said $140M, not $144M.

AaronB wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
AaronB wrote:Suggs will get more than Simons, Poole, and Herro.

2 reasons:

He is a better player
The cap has gone up since they signed their contracts.

So.. Paolo+Suggs+Banchero =110M = never winning anything nor being able to build contender :lol:

Reason why Poole & Herro got money they did is because Heat & Warriors had well established, playoff tested teams with not much money to get better in any other way.
That doesn't mean their contracts were good decisions.

Poppey said it best, it almost feels like some of you root for players to get crazy money. I don't give a f*** who makes what, it's cartoonish money in sports at this point, but if you pay 3 players ( where best player today isn't top 10 player, second isn't top 20 and third isn't top 50 ) how execlly are you going to get better with all money gone? It's salary restricted league.
How many not-big market teams will be paying $350 000 000 for basketball team, like Warriors payed last year? Not many.

Nope. Dead wrong again as usual. The reason they (Poole and Herro) got what they did is because that was the market. Simple as that. It is possible to argue that Poole got his as a favor to not sue the Warriors, but other than that argument, they simply got market value.

Suggs is better than both (Poole by a wide margin) and it will be 2 years of increasing cap to add to Suggs number. I suspect something on the order of 4/140 and up. Big money.
thelead wrote:I have a memory like an elephant.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,298

Post#43 » by pepe1991 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:48 pm

I really don't see scenario where Franz falls too much below max. If i need to gambe, i would put money on max.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,830

Post#44 » by RookieStar » Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:37 pm

pepe1991 wrote:I really don't see scenario where Franz falls too much below max. If i need to gambe, i would put money on max.

I would put it just below. Like for example, IF the max we can offer for the '22 class is like 4/100, we offer probably 4/90 and we offer Suggs near it like 4/80 or something.

When dealing with that many zeros, 8-10m is like a blink for them probably.
golfreak
Rookie
And1: 91

Post#45 » by golfreak » Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:30 am

I noticed a few people penciling in Paolo for the supermax.
It's not up to the team to give him the supermax. He has to make the all-NBA team(season prior to extension) to get it.
I just don't see it. He has to jump over an awful lot of great players to make all-NBA.
AaronB
Bench Warmer
And1: 622

Post#46 » by AaronB » Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:34 am

golfreak wrote:I noticed a few people penciling in Paolo for the supermax.
It's not up to the team to give him the supermax. He has to make the all-NBA team(season prior to extension) to get it.
I just don't see it. He has to jump over an awful lot of great players to make all-NBA.

Pretty sure that they insert escalators within the contract so that the player can move from 25% to 30% based on All-NBA selection.

Usually the escalators are reduced if it is 2nd team or 3rd team.
AaronB
Bench Warmer

Post#47 » by AaronB » Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:35 am

This contract cycle is not going to be the hard one to manage.

The real cap (still not hard) is $185M+.

It is the next contract cycle that is going to be painful.
Rainwater
General Manager
And1: 5,643

Post#48 » by Rainwater » Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:11 am

I think what people are trying to say is whatever max he is eligible for he is going to get.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,298

Post#49 » by pepe1991 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:28 am

Rookie exstension for potential all nba player is called Derrick Rose

i'll just copy past what it is

The 'Derrick Rose Rule', or Derrick Rose Rule, is a rule that allows a player who has excelled in his contract rookie sign a new one for 30% of the team's salary cap, instead of the 25% established limit.

Not all players are eligible to sign an agreement under the Derrick Rose Rule, but they must meet a series of requirements in order to enjoy this salary exception. Generally, it applies to a player chosen in the first round of the Draft who, still on his four-year rookie contract, with the corresponding salary scale, signs an extension with his team. This renewal will initially bring him 30% of the salary cap, instead of the aforementioned 25% applied to this type of player.

The requirements for this are to achieve at least one of these three merits:

Having won the NBA MVP.
Having been chosen twice in an All-NBA Team.
Having played two All-Star Games as a starter after the popular vote.

Franz , imo, will probably get "normal" max or near max.

If i could predict Suggs salary it would be similar to Jaden Mcdaniels contract. Even if you compare stats of those two & role they play it's very similar, albet different position.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
dsg2021
Analyst
And1: 1,040

Post#50 » by dsg2021 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:58 am

You're not supposed to keep them together. The Paolo, Franz, Suggs, JI, Mo, etc. type of ones.

You're supposed to use the cap sheet full of rookie deals to get a big-time player or two, then keep them together.

If they don't, it's time to change the Ownership and FO. They never wanted a championship.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,265

Post#51 » by eyriq » Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:18 pm

dsg2021 wrote:You're not supposed to keep them together. The Paolo, Franz, Suggs, JI, Mo, etc. type of ones.

You're supposed to use the cap sheet full of rookie deals to get a big-time player or two, then keep them together.

If they don't, it's time to change the Ownership and FO. They never wanted a championship.
Wut
mattdelray1220
Sophomore
And1: 87

Post#52 » by mattdelray1220 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:42 pm

I think the writing is on the wall with this team. At least in the near future (next year). Bring the same guys back. Potentially let Caleb/Jett take over the Ingles role. Maybe Black take the Fultz role. That is about it. Keep the same team. Keep the flexibility. If a move presents itself, pounce. They will definitely see if they can upgrade Harris (Monk) and explore trade opps for a legit 2 guard sniper for sure. If not, this team for the most part is coming back next year and maybe for a lot longer depending on how Black and Jett progress. If they win 50 games can you blame them?
golfreak
Rookie

Post#53 » by golfreak » Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:22 pm

AaronB wrote:

Pretty sure that they insert escalators within the contract so that the player can move from 25% to 30% based on All-NBA selection.

What I meant is that the Magic will of course extend Paolo to the max with the escalators.
It's up to him in the prior season to the extension to make all-nba.
It's tough to make all-nba.
3 players signed that same contract this year. Ball, Edwards and Haliburton.
Haliburton was a shoo-in before injury. Edwards, great chance.
golfreak
Rookie

Post#54 » by golfreak » Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:23 pm

Rainwater wrote:

I think what people are trying to say is whatever max he is eligible for he is going to get.

Some specifically stating $260 millions and such which is reserved for supermax.
Hard to make all-nba.
AaronB
Bench Warmer

Post#55 » by AaronB » Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:47 pm

golfreak wrote:
AaronB wrote:

What I meant is that the Magic will of course extend Paolo to the max with the escalators.

Maybe we are talking over each other or maybe I do not understand what you are saying, but this is how I understand the max contract.

Paolo will be eligible for a 25% of the cap salary at the time he signs the contract.

If he makes all NBA before signing the contract, he will be eligible for 30%.

However, each year of his contract will be higher than the year before with normal annual increases loosely aligned to the projected cap increase.

In addition to this annual increase, there will probably be escalator clauses that are on top of the normal annual increases that will get him to 30% of the salary cap or closely there about.

Suggs is actually more interesting to me.

A couple of weeks ago, I projected Suggs to get a contract with an AAS (Average Annual Salary) of 4/140 or 5/155. My projection was met with near-universal ridicule and disdain.

I will be curious to see haw it works out.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,830

Post#56 » by RookieStar » Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:45 pm

AaronB wrote:
golfreak wrote:
AaronB wrote:

Maybe we are talking over each other or maybe I do not understand what you are saying, but this is how I understand the max contract.

Paolo will be eligible for a 25% of the cap salary at the time he signs the contract.

However, each year of his contract will be higher than the year before with normal annual increases loosely aligned to the projected cap increase.

In addition to this annual increase, there will probably be escalator clauses that are on top of the normal annual increases that will get him to 30% of the salary cap or closely there about.

A couple of weeks ago, I projected Suggs to get a contract with an AAS (Average Annual Salary) of 4/140 or 5/155. My projection was met with near-universal ridicule and disdain.

Wait... that is the average? wow, why wasn't I born a foot taller....
golfreak
Rookie

Post#57 » by golfreak » Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:55 am

AaronB wrote:
golfreak wrote:
AaronB wrote:

No we are on the same page.
I was referring to posters who thinks the team can just give Paolo a supermax contract. Doesn't work that way.
To earn the supermax(Derrick Rose rule).
Lets say Paolo sign the 25% extension for the 2027 season with escalator included.
For him to earn the 30% he needs to make All-NBA in 2026 or defensive of the year.
Once his new contract kicks in for 2027, even if he makes all-NBA that year, it's too late. He will only earn the 25% with appropriate raises each year afterward,
AaronB
Bench Warmer

Post#58 » by AaronB » Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:31 am

golfreak wrote:
AaronB wrote:
golfreak wrote:

I was referring to posters who thinks the team can just give Paolo a supermax contract. Doesn't work that way.
Lets say Paolo sign the 25% extension for the 2027 season with escalator included.
For him to earn the 30% he needs to make All-NBA in 2026 or defensive of the year.
Once his new contract kicks in for 2027, even if he makes all-NBA that year, it's too late. He will only earn the 25% with appropriate raises each year afterward,

I don't think that we are on the same page unless I am misunderstanding you.

What I am reading that you are saying that unless Paolo is all NBA by the first year of his extension, then he won't get to 30% of the salary cap salary.

What I am saying is that if, for example, he gets all NBA after the first year of his contract, his escalators will put him roughly back to 30% of the salary cap, and he will keep getting incremental raises throughout the contract that will keep him at the supermax.

If it occurs later in his extension, there will be money lost, but early all NBA performances (even if it is not prior to the first year of the contract) will keep him on track as a supermax paycheck. This is why they put in the escalators.

This is my understanding of the process, and I could be wrong and your mileage may vary.
The-Stallion70
Rookie

Post#59 » by The-Stallion70 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:00 am

golfreak wrote:
AaronB wrote:
golfreak wrote:

Are you positive that these are the only parameters needed to qualify for the supermax? To make an all NBA team?

So making the all star team doesn't trigger something in the current CBA rule for his maximum allowable contract, only making all NBA? Is this correct?

Paolo may make all NBA this year.
The-Stallion70
Rookie

Post#60 » by The-Stallion70 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:44 am

JF5 wrote:
RookieStar wrote:I wouldne be surprised that Suggs and Franz get the same deal...

I think they lock up Suggs on a 22-25 million per year contract after this season to make sure they get ahead of his value becoming more.

I believe he might have another level to his game.

I honestly don't

He has small hands, a limited handle, not exceptionally athletic, big or strong for the position and not a great decision maker.

His shot mechanically is good and he can make threes off the catch or off a step back or a few other moves with few dribbles.

He's not Fultz who has huge shoulders, long arms and huge hands and a tight handle that allowed him to average 14ppg last year even elwhen he couldn't shoot outside of 15 feet or so because of his injury.

There's a reason why Markelle was the no.1 pick.

Return to Orlando Magic