ImageImageImageImage

Can Magic keep this team together? How can Magic be in contention?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

MasterGMer
Veteran
And1: 586

Can Magic keep this team together? How can Magic be in contention? 

Post#1 » by MasterGMer » Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:22 am

First of all, I am not a cap expert. Franz Wagner's Qualifying Offer deadline is June 29th 2024. And Jalen Suggs QO is 6/29/25. Franz is probably a Max contract player and Jalen Suggs could demand a considerable amount also. Paolo's QO is 2026 and Paolo is sure a max contract player.

I know Magic has a huge cap space this upcoming summer. But I do not expect a lot of moves because I think the Magic is preparing to retain Paolo and Franz.

Right now the biggest reason of Magic's big cap room is a collection of rookie contracts. Could Magic fall into the old OKC situation with Durant, Westbrook and Harden? Can Magic retain all our core and keep this team together?

Also another side question I have is how can Magic keep raising the ceiling of our young team? Organic development of our young stars? Or pull all our draft assets plus young talents to make a big trade?

Could Magic be in contention in the next 2 or 3 years? How?
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,375

Re: Can Magic keep this team together? 

Post#2 » by Knightro » Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:23 am

Yes.
ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God
And1: 14,487

Re: Can Magic keep this team together? How can Magic be in contention? 

Post#3 » by ibraheim718 » Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:29 am

The NBA is structured so that yeah you can keep this team together. Just pay them.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,838

Post#4 » by RookieStar » Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:40 am

Yes
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,660

Post#5 » by SOUL » Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:44 am

ibraheim718 wrote:The NBA is structured so that yeah you can keep this team together. Just pay them.

For some reason a lot of our fans don't want to pay guys contracts that isn't their money and always want deals, even if it's our best young players.

I get it if we've hamstrung our roster but we absolutely need to keep our core
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,783

Post#6 » by thelead » Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:45 am

Paolo/Franz/Suggs/JI. That's the core, and yes we can keep it together.
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#7 » by RookieStar » Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:53 am

I wouldne be surprised that Suggs and Franz get the same deal...
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,291

Post#8 » by eyriq » Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:57 am

RookieStar wrote:I wouldne be surprised that Suggs and Franz get the same deal...
Hmmm I would be. Will be interesting
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#9 » by RookieStar » Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:12 am

eyriq wrote:
RookieStar wrote:I wouldne be surprised that Suggs and Franz get the same deal...
Hmmm I would be. Will be interesting

Yeah... my thinking right now is.... numbers alone make Franz more valuable but aside from that, 3pt shooting, defense, heart , knowing you have someoen to sic against those allstar guards, etc etc makes Suggs equal in impact.
ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God

Post#10 » by ibraheim718 » Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:19 am

SOUL wrote:
ibraheim718 wrote:The NBA is structured so that yeah you can keep this team together. Just pay them.

For some reason a lot of our fans don't want to pay guys contracts that isn't their money and always want deals, even if it's our best young players.

I get it if we've hamstrung our roster but we absolutely need to keep our core

Yeah.. most fanbases I think are like that. I'm pro-player and I want them to make their money. Weltman won't get cute.. he'll pay them. Suggs, Wagner, and Banchero are going to get paid and they should. The other guys will get fair deals to stay. Black is probably going to have improve his way to his money which he probably will because he has a few years to improve.

I'll say it again.. very good group of players that'll be one of the top teams in the NBA in a couple of years. Pay them. They very well can win a championship in the near future.
The-Stallion70
Rookie
And1: 398

Post#11 » by The-Stallion70 » Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:53 am

We should be able to keep the team together but I do like the question you raise in exactly how much will Franz get?

We know that Paolo is getting a full $260M supermax but for Franz, will he get a standard max? How much is that if so?
thelead wrote:I have a memory like an elephant.
The-Stallion70
Rookie

Post#12 » by The-Stallion70 » Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:54 am

Can you please explain this reasoning? The irrational love for Suggs is maddening
ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God

Post#13 » by ibraheim718 » Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:59 am

Odds on favorite is all 3 get maxed.
thelead
RealGM

Post#14 » by thelead » Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:18 am

The-Stallion70 wrote:

Can you please explain this reasoning? The irrational love for Suggs is maddening

all-defense while shooting 40% from deep on high volume will get you PAID in the NBA. Not sure about max but he's going to get a large contract. I don't think he's earned a max even though I think he is the heart of the team but that's not how young players get contracts. There's usually a lot of 'pontential' baked into rookie extensions.
The-Stallion70
Rookie

Post#15 » by The-Stallion70 » Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:31 am

thelead wrote:
The-Stallion70 wrote:

all-defense while shooting 40% from deep on high value will get you PAID in the NBA. Not sure about max but he's going to get a large contract. I don't think he's earned a max even though I think he is the heart of the team but that's not how young players get contracts. There's usually a lot of 'pontential' baked into rookie extensions.

Way to ignore the question buddy the man said he will get paid the same as Franz, how do you explain that?

You cannot put together an argument that equates his value to Franz. His injury history and inconsistent performance over his three years does not get you paid like an extremely consistent player who scores in higher volume and stays healthy.
thelead
RealGM

Post#16 » by thelead » Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:48 am

The-Stallion70 wrote:
thelead wrote:
The-Stallion70 wrote:

all-defense while shooting 40% from deep on high value will get you PAID in the NBA. Not sure about max but he's going to get a large contract. I don't think he's earned a max even though I think he is the heart of the team but that's not how young players get contracts. There's usually a lot of 'pontential' baked into rookie extensions.

Way to ignore the question buddy the man said he will get paid the same as Franz, how do you explain that?

You cannot put together an argument that equates his value to Franz. His injury history and inconsistent performance over his three years does not get you paid like an extremely consistent player who scores in higher volume and stays healthy.

I didn't dodge... I gave you 4 reasons: equally young, better defender, better shooter, heart of the team. I'm not arguing whether he should or shouldn't get as much as Franz. Just giving the possible justifications. To be clear, I'll be shocked if he gets the same deal as Franz. Really shocked. I don't know what a rookie max is these days but my guess is that the numbers will likely be something like:

Paolo: 5/275 (whatever full max is)
Franz: 5/200-225
Suggs: 5/150-175

NBA contracts are nuts and they're only getting bigger... wonder for how much longer though. It doesn't seem sustainable.
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#17 » by RookieStar » Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:23 am

The-Stallion70 wrote:

Simple... as i said before ( post above ) franz wins it with numbers alone, but the things that can't be quantified, Suggs wins it all.

Now i do not know how much our FO will throw at their extension from their rookie contract, but in terms of impact i feel they are the same albeit in a different way.

So for example if the max they can get based on the cba is 100m/4yrs, i wouldnt be surprised if they both get around that to make the numbers work.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,732

Post#18 » by basketballRob » Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:48 am

Suggs isn't getting the max

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM mobile app
ORLMagicGirl15
RealGM
And1: 3,732

Post#19 » by ORLMagicGirl15 » Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:15 am

Why are Franz’ and Jalen’s deadline for qualifying offers in two different years when they were drafted together?
For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.-John 3:16

Go Magic, Go Dwight, Go Vuc, Go Paolo, Go Keegan :)
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,375

Post#20 » by Knightro » Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:39 am

ORLMagicGirl15 wrote:Why are Franz’ and Jalen’s deadline for qualifying offers in two different years when they were drafted together?

They’re not.

They’re both eligible to sign extensions this upcoming summer.

Return to Orlando Magic