ImageImageImageImage

Can Magic keep this team together? How can Magic be in contention?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

dsg2021
Analyst
And1: 1,040

Re: Can Magic keep this team together? How can Magic be in contention? 

Post#61 » by dsg2021 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:33 am

eyriq wrote:
dsg2021 wrote:You're not supposed to keep them together. The Paolo, Franz, Suggs, JI, Mo, etc. type of ones.

You're supposed to use the cap sheet full of rookie deals to get a big-time player or two, then keep them together.

If they don't, it's time to change the Ownership and FO. They never wanted a championship.
Wut

Here's an example of what I mean:

Tyrese Haliburton wants out of Indiana. The Magic sign/trade for him before their cap sheet is locked by heavy contracts in Paolo, Franz, and Suggs. Because they basically can't afterwards. We're talking Kevin Durant to GSW here, something similar.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,265

Post#62 » by eyriq » Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:24 pm

dsg2021 wrote:
eyriq wrote:
dsg2021 wrote:You're not supposed to keep them together. The Paolo, Franz, Suggs, JI, Mo, etc. type of ones.

You're supposed to use the cap sheet full of rookie deals to get a big-time player or two, then keep them together.

If they don't, it's time to change the Ownership and FO. They never wanted a championship.
Wut

Here's an example of what I mean:

Tyrese Haliburton wants out of Indiana. The Magic sign/trade for him before their cap sheet is locked by heavy contracts in Paolo, Franz, and Suggs. Because they basically can't afterwards. We're talking Kevin Durant to GSW here, something similar.
Gotcha, that makes sense. I've been thinking of this as our pre-extension cap space, which we can and should use to bring in one or two players.
mattdelray1220
Sophomore
And1: 87

Post#63 » by mattdelray1220 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:35 pm

I am convinced Isaac, Fultz, WCJ and Moe are going to take less to be here long term. On the open market Maybe Isaac could get a big deal if healthy but doubt a team would take that kind of risk.
Residual-Heat
Sixth Man
And1: 934

Post#64 » by Residual-Heat » Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:07 pm

Let me start off by saying I know this is very unlikely, but what if they were willing to sign more team friendly contracts to stay together and build something special?

Suggs always talks about his mental health and how he enjoys being around this group. I can see him choosing stability and a winning team over money.

Franz might want to stay with Mo. You know these brothers are very close. They still live together, and these European players are more likely to sacrifice money.

Paolo lets hope there's enough Euro in him to also be willing to sacrifice :lol:. He's an unselfish guy.

Maybe Isaac can find it in his christian heart to show loyalty to a team that stuck by him through the injuries? :lol:

Like i said, very unlikely, but maybe not impossible.
IllMagic04
Analyst
And1: 1,810

Post#65 » by IllMagic04 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:15 pm

Yea I've been avoiding thinking about this and just enjoying the moment. I'm no cap expert but I feel like in the last agreement it makes having 3 max guys very hard and not productive to build overall team.
JF5
RealGM
And1: 3,900

Post#66 » by JF5 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:07 am

The-Stallion70 wrote:
JF5 wrote:
RookieStar wrote:I wouldne be surprised that Suggs and Franz get the same deal...

I think they lock up Suggs on a 22-25 million per year contract after this season to make sure they get ahead of his value becoming more.

I believe he might have another level to his game.

I honestly don't

He has small hands, a limited handle, not exceptionally athletic, big or strong for the position and not a great decision maker.

His shot mechanically is good and he can make threes off the catch or off a step back or a few other moves with few dribbles.

He's not Fultz who has huge shoulders, long arms and huge hands and a tight handle that allowed him to average 14ppg last year even elwhen he couldn't shoot outside of 15 feet or so because of his injury.

There's a reason why Markelle was the no.1 pick.

Depending how he's used as a "PG" I think he has an advantage. He's can get to the rim pretty well from what we've seen from previous seasons. The fact that he's knocking down the 3 ball and can shoot off the dribble with the best of them opens up the lane more for him. He has a lot of strength as well as he can finish with force.

Also, he doesn't have to be the primary ball handler. But he can be good enough to be Secondary next to Franz (as Banchero will be the primary). He's not really thinking the game so much as he's just trying to get his feet under him. I think once he figures that out with his work ethic and his aggressive play style, in year 4 or 5 you'll see him take that leap.

I really see him being a Kyle Lowry/Tony Parker level in him if he figures it out.
MasterGMer
Veteran
And1: 585

Post#67 » by MasterGMer » Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:32 am

Is it the most important playoff in Magic franchise history? I hope Magic makes a deep run. Plus we can beat anybody.

Then the draft. Then the Free Agency. If we are already a top team in the East without. Next season sky is the limit
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,638

Post#68 » by SOUL » Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:42 am

MasterGMer wrote:Is it the most important playoff in Magic franchise history? I hope Magic makes a deep run. Plus we can beat anybody.

Then the draft. Then the Free Agency. If we are already a top team in the East without. Next season sky is the limit

Probably one of the least important, there's no real expectations right now other than holding on to top 6. Anything else is gravy.

Playoffs are a different beast entirely to regular season. Not sure we have the horses to win 4 games against most of these top teams, but we can give them trouble.
MasterGMer
Veteran

Post#69 » by MasterGMer » Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:59 am

SOUL wrote:
MasterGMer wrote:Is it the most important playoff in Magic franchise history? I hope Magic makes a deep run. Plus we can beat anybody.

Probably one of the least important, there's no real expectations right now other than holding on to top 6. Anything else is gravy.

Playoffs are a different beast entirely to regular season. Not sure we have the horses to win 4 games against most of these top teams, but we can give them trouble.

Don't you think this playoff upcoming could decide our ceiling of how good this team could potentially be? That is why I think it is important. Our moves this summer could probably be dictated by how we do in the playoff. And this summer is probably one of the most important summer for the Magic
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,831

Post#70 » by RookieStar » Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:06 am

MasterGMer wrote:
SOUL wrote:

Don't you think this playoff upcoming could decide our ceiling of how good this team could potentially be? That is why I think it is important. Our moves this summer could probably be dictated by how we do in the playoff. And this summer is probably one of the most important summer for the Magic

No... this is the least PO importance. We will get creamed but it will be a good experience for us. We haven't even peaked with our core yet.

But yeah this FA season will probably be the most important in recent memory.
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#71 » by SOUL » Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:07 am

MasterGMer wrote:Don't you think this playoff upcoming could decide our ceiling of how good this team could potentially be? That is why I think it is important. Our moves this summer could probably be dictated by how we do in the playoff. And this summer is probably one of the most important summer for the Magic

I don't think they're basing it off of these playoffs, no. It would be the equivalent of drafting an NCAA player on their March Madness performance alone and not taking anything else into account. I think the decision not to go after any potential upgrades at trade deadline shows that they're okay with just competing and ultimately coming up short. I think despite records we are clearly way below Boston, Milwaukee, (healthy) Philly, (healthy) Knicks in a 7 game series. The other teams it would depend on matchups, but we still have a young team.

The entire season has really shown our blatant needs, which is good because we can point at a few areas and then try to upgrade them and we have the money to do so.

Our ceilings are as far as Paolo, Franz and Suggs progress in the upcoming years. I don't think a first round exit makes them think it's a low ceiling and a playoff run (idk how far you expect us to make it tbh) makes us a higher ceiling. Keep up mind, teams like OKC and MIN who are top West teams this year had 40 and 42 wins last year and I'm sure none of their decisions were made because of playoff related stuff.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,298

Post#72 » by pepe1991 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:19 am

1) players won't take paycuts in first contracts (this is literally why they have menagers)
2) players who have missed 50% of contracts, won't take paycuts as they apporoach 30s knowing it can be their last $$
3) depending how playoffs are played out, they should have some impact on future moves. If we get destroyed, there is no point of bringing pretty much same squad again, and expect different outcom next year. If we are competitive, than you should adress roster problems to be better ( in playoffs ) next year
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#73 » by SOUL » Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:41 am

pepe1991 wrote:3) depending how playoffs are played out, they should have some impact on future moves. If we get destroyed, there is no point of bringing pretty much same squad again, and expect different outcom next year. If we are competitive, than you should adress roster problems to be better ( in playoffs ) next year

Core will be core regardless though, no "ceilings" are determined from this playoffs unless Paolo and Franz both go like 2-50 or something lol. I think win or lose we will make moves. For at the very least Monk or Allen or Klay or something.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,298

Post#74 » by pepe1991 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:04 am

SOUL wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:3) depending how playoffs are played out, they should have some impact on future moves. If we get destroyed, there is no point of bringing pretty much same squad again, and expect different outcom next year. If we are competitive, than you should adress roster problems to be better ( in playoffs ) next year

Core will be core regardless though, no "ceilings" are determined from this playoffs unless Paolo and Franz both go like 2-50 or something lol. I think win or lose we will make moves. For at the very least Monk or Allen or Klay or something.

Yea, core won't change, i didn't even had them in mind but rest of roster.
Paolo & Franz can go scoreless for 4 games and will still be "core" going forward.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
MasterGMer
Veteran

Post#75 » by MasterGMer » Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:04 am

Is the Magic going to negotiate a contract extension with Suggs and Franz this summer? Suggs Qualifying Offer is this summer. Franz next summer. How can we pay Suggs, Franz and Molik Monk or Klay all together?

Any cap expert here?
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,019

Post#76 » by fendilim » Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:12 am

MasterGMer wrote:Is the Magic going to negotiate a contract extension with Suggs and Franz this summer? Suggs Qualifying Offer is this summer. Franz next summer. How can we pay Suggs, Franz and Molik Monk or Klay all together?

Any cap expert here?

Extensions of Suggs and Franz wont hurt us next year. The year after next season is when Franz and Suggs’ extensions start to hurt. We have a 2 year window after this year, imo, because then Paolo’s fun max will affect us too.

I think Klay, if ever, will be a 1+1 deal. Almost similar to the Sixers and Redick. Basically his role will be Veteran experience and floor spacing.

I don’t think we can sign both Monk and Klay. I think we have to overpay for either of the two.
MasterGMer
Veteran

Post#77 » by MasterGMer » Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:15 am

fendilim wrote:
MasterGMer wrote:Is the Magic going to negotiate a contract extension with Suggs and Franz this summer? Suggs Qualifying Offer is this summer. Franz next summer. How can we pay Suggs, Franz and Molik Monk or Klay all together?

Any cap expert here?

Extensions of Suggs and Franz wont hurt us next year. The year after next season is when Franz and Suggs’ extensions start to hurt. We have a 2 year window after this year, imo, because then Paolo’s fun max will affect us too.

I think Klay, if ever, will be a 1+1 deal. Almost similar to the Sixers and Redick. Basically his role will be Veteran experience and floor spacing.

I don’t think we can sign both Monk and Klay. I think we have to overpay for either of the two.

Then you think this summer is the best chance to sign some Asset? I'd prefer Molik Monk since he is young and more dynamic offensive player than Klay. But I just do not know if he wants to come to Orlando.

Klay wants to get paid. This is probably his last contract. He will demand more years. 1+1 won't cut it. Plus Magic has to overpay
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,019

Post#78 » by fendilim » Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:21 am

MasterGMer wrote:
fendilim wrote:

Any cap expert here?

Then you think this summer is the best chance to sign some Asset? I'd prefer Molik Monk since he is young and more dynamic offensive player than Klay. But I just do not know if he wants to come to Orlando.

Klay wants to get paid. This is probably his last contract. He will demand more years. 1+1 won't cut it. Plus Magic has to overpay
it really is, the window to use our cap space to add valuable pieces is closing, imo.

Monk would probably cost more
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,632

Post#79 » by Skybox » Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:20 pm

fendilim wrote:
MasterGMer wrote:
fendilim wrote:Extensions of Suggs and Franz wont hurt us next year. The year after next season is when Franz and Suggs’ extensions start to hurt. We have a 2 year window after this year, imo, because then Paolo’s fun max will affect us too.

it really is, the window to use our cap space to add valuable pieces is closing, imo.

Monk would probably cost more

Monk will cost much less than Klay. GSW will overpay to keep him- that now looks like 25 (which they offered)…that’s about what he’s worth nowadays. If another team pays much more to steal him from his beloved home…that’s a bad investment. He’s got no reason to take a 1+1 either unless it’s for FVV money or to stay in GSW-with contracts ending along with Steph & Draymond. Not the right move for us…he’s become Grayson Allen with a HOF resume behind him. Very good player and person, but really in need of reality (cap hit) check this summer…go home Klay.

Someone listed all of the teams with cap space to sign Monk for 20-25m…very few and none make sense like us. SAC can’t pay him market value so also can’t facilitate a SnT either…I think he’s ours if the FO wants him and doesn’t play games in approaching him in typical non-aggressive posture. Historically, you go at a guy like that when the FA bell goes off and let him know he’s the priority. I’m just not sure he’s enough- but he’s the best among UFA’s, imo. Smells like Rashard Lewis situation…if you think he’s THE answer- pay the man.

Murray, Garland, or even Trae would be the kind of summer that catapult ORL forward into national relevance. Mitchell too, but the flight risk is too much for me…he and Trae (even Klay) would also likely disrupt the team dynamic more so than the others, for better or worse, as they would step right in as clear “boss”. That’s a risk but not necessarily a deal-breaker…maybe we’re seeing that, for all of our young stars-in-the-making, we still need a “boss” to make the leap. Murray will be available, assuming Trae isn’t, and if Mitchell commits to CLE, Garland could become the low-key best guy available- and an absolutely amazing potential player for ORL.

I’d be happy with Monk…but I hope they quietly sniff around bigger fish first.

Hartenstein? Whatever…like Tyus, nice player, would be a good add if on a realistic role-player deal, but no tremors around the league.
CocoaFan
Sophomore
And1: 55

Post#80 » by CocoaFan » Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:19 pm

Residual-Heat wrote:Let me start off by saying I know this is very unlikely, but what if they were willing to sign more team friendly contracts to stay together and build something special?

Suggs always talks about his mental health and how he enjoys being around this group. I can see him choosing stability and a winning team over money.

Franz might want to stay with Mo. You know these brothers are very close. They still live together, and these European players are more likely to sacrifice money.

Paolo lets hope there's enough Euro in him to also be willing to sacrifice :lol:. He's an unselfish guy.

Maybe Isaac can find it in his christian heart to show loyalty to a team that stuck by him through the injuries? :lol:

Like i said, very unlikely, but maybe not impossible.
These guys could all take team friendly deals but nothing ridiculous and way off market value. Once they're all signed to extensions we won't be saving enough to have cap space for a game changing FA. I'm not sure if that was what you were hoping for with the team friendly deals.

Return to Orlando Magic