ImageImageImageImage

Can Magic keep this team together? How can Magic be in contention?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,722

Re: Can Magic keep this team together? How can Magic be in contention? 

Post#21 » by basketballRob » Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:56 am

thelead wrote:
The-Stallion70 wrote:
thelead wrote:all-defense while shooting 40% from deep on high value will get you PAID in the NBA. Not sure about max but he's going to get a large contract. I don't think he's earned a max even though I think he is the heart of the team but that's not how young players get contracts. There's usually a lot of 'pontential' baked into rookie extensions.

Way to ignore the question buddy the man said he will get paid the same as Franz, how do you explain that?

You cannot put together an argument that equates his value to Franz. His injury history and inconsistent performance over his three years does not get you paid like an extremely consistent player who scores in higher volume and stays healthy.

I didn't dodge... I gave you 4 reasons: equally young, better defender, better shooter, heart of the team. I'm not arguing whether he should or shouldn't get as much as Franz. Just giving the possible justifications. To be clear, I'll be shocked if he gets the same deal as Franz. Really shocked. I don't know what a rookie max is these days but my guess is that the numbers will likely be something like:

Paolo: 5/275 (whatever full max is)
Franz: 5/200-225
Suggs: 5/150-175

NBA contracts are nuts and they're only getting bigger... wonder for how much longer though. It doesn't seem sustainable.
I was thinking more like $150m for Franz and $100m for Suggs over 5 years.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM mobile app
The-Stallion70
Rookie
And1: 388

Post#22 » by The-Stallion70 » Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:10 pm

thelead wrote:
The-Stallion70 wrote:
thelead wrote:all-defense while shooting 40% from deep on high value will get you PAID in the NBA. Not sure about max but he's going to get a large contract. I don't think he's earned a max even though I think he is the heart of the team but that's not how young players get contracts. There's usually a lot of 'pontential' baked into rookie extensions.

Way to ignore the question buddy the man said he will get paid the same as Franz, how do you explain that?

You cannot put together an argument that equates his value to Franz. His injury history and inconsistent performance over his three years does not get you paid like an extremely consistent player who scores in higher volume and stays healthy.

I didn't dodge... I gave you 4 reasons: equally young, better defender, better shooter, heart of the team. I'm not arguing whether he should or shouldn't get as much as Franz. Just giving the possible justifications. To be clear, I'll be shocked if he gets the same deal as Franz. Really shocked. I don't know what a rookie max is these days but my guess is that the numbers will likely be something like:

NBA contracts are nuts and they're only getting bigger... wonder for how much longer though. It doesn't seem sustainable.

You did ignore the question or at least provide irrelevant information.

The question was: "Explain how Suggs gets paid the same amount as Franz"

You then said that Suggs does some good things on the court, which I agree he is a good player who deserves a rookie extension, but then you said that you'll be shocked if he gets the same deal as Franz.

So you're making an argument that isn't relevant relevant to the question.

The question was, explain how his value is equal to Franz or at least deserves to be paid the same amount.
thelead wrote:I have a memory like an elephant.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,722

Post#23 » by basketballRob » Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:23 pm

Suggs availability over his first 3 years will hurt. It's just like Carter didn't get a bigger contract because of his lack of availability.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM mobile app
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,265

Post#24 » by eyriq » Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:50 pm

I think the Memphis Grizzlies offer a good parallel on how to keep a young and talented core together. Bane and Morant each for the max, and JJJ came in under.
BCS
Sixth Man
And1: 675

Post#25 » by BCS » Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:00 pm

The-Stallion70 wrote:
thelead wrote:
The-Stallion70 wrote:

You then said that Suggs does some good things on the court, which I agree he is a good player who deserves a rookie extension, but then you said that you'll be shocked if he gets the same deal as Franz.

The question was, explain how his value is equal to Franz or at least deserves to be paid the same amount.
Idk if you have something against thelead but he gave the reasons as to why Suggs could get paid as much as Franz. He also tells you he doesn't necessarily agree with it as most of us also do not.

Sent from my SM-A716U using RealGM Forums mobile app
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,454

Post#26 » by Bensational » Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:12 pm

Suggs for March has a TS% of 68% on 18.5% USG. In Feb it was TS% 63%, 18.9% USG. In both months he’s averaging 12 points, 4 rebounds and 3 assists.

In March Suggs had an ortg of 121 and a drtg of 106. The kid is getting better as the season progresses and hitting stride in the lead up to the playoffs, which is fantastic.

I reckon next season he’ll be ready to contribute more as a scorer. 14-17ppg level whilst maintaining efficiency.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#27 » by eyriq » Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:15 pm

Bensational wrote:Suggs for March has a TS% of 68% on 18.5% USG. In Feb it was TS% 63%, 18.9% USG. In both months he’s averaging 12 points, 4 rebounds and 3 assists.

In March Suggs had an ortg of 121 and a drtg of 106. The kid is getting better as the season progresses and hitting stride in the lead up to the playoffs, which is fantastic.

I reckon next season he’ll be ready to contribute more as a scorer. 14-17ppg level whilst maintaining efficiency.
Wow. That's eye popping. Ramp up the kids minutes and usage and he's our 3rd option.
Rainwater
General Manager
And1: 5,643

Post#28 » by Rainwater » Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:50 pm

ibraheim718 wrote:Odds on favorite is all 3 get maxed.

I love Suggs but there is no way he gets max money
The-Stallion70
Rookie

Post#29 » by The-Stallion70 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:52 am

BCS wrote:
The-Stallion70 wrote:
thelead wrote:I didn't dodge... I gave you 4 reasons: equally young, better defender, better shooter, heart of the team. I'm not arguing whether he should or shouldn't get as much as Franz. Just giving the possible justifications. To be clear, I'll be shocked if he gets the same deal as Franz. Really shocked. I don't know what a rookie max is these days but my guess is that the numbers will likely be something like:

Idk if you have something against thelead but he gave the reasons as to why Suggs could get paid as much as Franz. He also tells you he doesn't necessarily agree with it as most of us also do not.

Obviously, the idea that he could get paid as much as Franz is absurd and no one could adequately support it when I asked for viable reasoning.

Nice try.
davey_wavy
Sixth Man
And1: 1,002

Post#30 » by davey_wavy » Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:56 pm

All “davey_wavy” cig breaks aside, I’m not a cap/contract expert either. I am however a known “paranoid” of our best guys leaving in FA. Can anyone say how long I have to relax until there’s a chance P5 or Franz realistically can walk or be traded for to avoid letting them walk for nothing?
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,982

Post#31 » by MagicMatic » Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:16 pm

The-Stallion70 wrote:
BCS wrote:
The-Stallion70 wrote:

Obviously, the idea that he could get paid as much as Franz is absurd and no one could adequately support it when I asked for viable reasoning.

Nice try.

I don’t think Suggs gets the same amount of money as Franz…

That being said, he’s a better shooter and defender than Franz is right now and it’s not really close. Orlando’s problem is that they have no bench depth to replicate what Franz brings to the game. Joe Ingles isn’t it.

Orlando is going to struggle to win games without either guy, but Suggs skillset is more valuable for what the team needs right now to be successful with Paolo on the roster as the focal point.

I know you don’t like Suggs. You never have. Let’s not pretend though that he isn’t a large part of the success the Magic are having this season.
purpleswordfish
Rookie
And1: 540

Post#32 » by purpleswordfish » Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:41 pm

The way the CBA is set up, the Magic can absolutely keep Wagner, Suggs and Banchero. Banchero will probably get a max extension and not even hit the market. I'll assume the same for Wagner. As for Suggs, it's important to note that the Magic have control. They can:

- Extend a QO and let him test the market. He'd be able to test his value and the Magic would always have the option to match.
- Work out an extension before he hits the open market. The Magic did this with with Isaac and Fultz. Those deals would have looked pretty good had both players been more available and Fultz had developed a more diverse game. Both deals were certainly more team friendly than a max deal in RFA.
- Probably the least likely option, but they could let Suggs hit RFA and work out a sign and trade to get some (minimal) value back for losing a starter.

If I had to put money on it, I'd say the Magic working out an extension at less than max value is the most likely scenario. Suggs reminds me of the Fultz situation. Fultz was starting to look like a capable starter after years of inconsistency and limited availability. Suggs has not had a storybook start to his career. This season is definitely the first season where he's looked like what the Magic expected when they drafted him. The Magic front office will probably take a similar approach and work out a deal before RFA.

Heck, I can see the front office trying to get Wagner at slightly less than max. Why not? You have leverage.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#33 » by eyriq » Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:59 pm

Out of our young core Suggs has the highest "bad contract" potential. Risk factors are the injuries and the lost rising star status. I think he was right to see the AB and Jett draft as a wake up call, he was on the cusp of flaming out.

Those risk factors are definitely going to cost him money. How much it waters down his projection/future value is debatable.

He absolutely crushed his junior season. He's easily our third best player. A favorite to be on an All NBA defensive team. His winning intangibles are eye popping. His efficiency did a 180. There is upside to be a 3rd option, top 50 player. BUT there is a ton of risk and downside.

Edit: We don't even know how scalable he is, he's playing sixth man minutes on the lower end of 3rd option usage.
AaronB
Bench Warmer
And1: 622

Post#34 » by AaronB » Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:35 pm

The-Stallion70 wrote:
BCS wrote:
The-Stallion70 wrote:

Nice try.

They actually provided very viable reasoning, you just can't or won't read (listen).

I have seen that in your posts over and over.

I suspect this whole idea of not listening to others is a dragon that pops up over and over in your every day existance.
JF5
RealGM
And1: 3,900

Post#35 » by JF5 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:41 pm

RookieStar wrote:I wouldne be surprised that Suggs and Franz get the same deal...

I think they lock up Suggs on a 22-25 million per year contract after this season to make sure they get ahead of his value becoming more.

I believe he might have another level to his game.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,833

Post#36 » by RookieStar » Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:41 pm

Correct. However, this is the first time in his 3 year career so far that he is justifying that very high contract value. Will that result in an overpay or discount, only our FO cab decide.
The-Stallion70
Rookie

Post#37 » by The-Stallion70 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:09 pm

AaronB wrote:
The-Stallion70 wrote:
BCS wrote:Idk if you have something against thelead but he gave the reasons as to why Suggs could get paid as much as Franz. He also tells you he doesn't necessarily agree with it as most of us also do not.

Nice try.

They actually provided very viable reasoning, you just can't or won't read (listen).

I suspect this whole idea of not listening to others is a dragon that pops up over and over in your every day existance.

I asked a pretty clear and obvious question in response to someone else saying that Siggs may get the same amount as Franz. My question was explain how Suggs gets paid the same as Franz.

The answers I got were support for Suggs but then they finished by saying that they don't think he'll get paid as much as Franz. Therefore this doesn't really answer the question.

What is hard to understand about that bucko?

You are the poster who said that Suggs may get $144M which I would be shocked my because of inconsistent performance and injury history.

I stated in my post that I think he should get an extension because he's a good player but paying him as much as Franz is crazy.

You can't just pay the guy cause he's a fan favorite. Marcus Smartv was a fan but now the Celts are better than since they replaced him with Jrue holiday who is a better overall player.

I suspect your inability to grasp basic things like this pops up in your everyday existence as well.
Rainwater
General Manager
And1: 5,643

Post#38 » by Rainwater » Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:03 am

I just don’t see how Suggs gets max money. Great defender, great energy guy, an improved shooter but he is not the type of guy to carry an offense; the type of player who typically gets max money. He is a guard version of AG. Great role player who is best used next to great players but definitely wouldn’t ask to carry a team.

The first Tor game describes Suggs to a T. Literally all the 3s made by Suggs were assisted or created by Paolo. Suggs is not on the court to create shots for himself or his teammates.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,602

Post#39 » by BadMofoPimp » Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:56 am

MagicMatic wrote:
The-Stallion70 wrote:
BCS wrote:Idk if you have something against thelead but he gave the reasons as to why Suggs could get paid as much as Franz. He also tells you he doesn't necessarily agree with it as most of us also do not.

Nice try.

I don’t think Suggs gets the same amount of money as Franz…

That being said, he’s a better shooter and defender than Franz is right now and it’s not really close. Orlando’s problem is that they have no bench depth to replicate what Franz brings to the game. Joe Ingles isn’t it.

Orlando is going to struggle to win games without either guy, but Suggs skillset is more valuable for what the team needs right now to be successful with Paolo on the roster as the focal point.

I know you don’t like Suggs. You never have. Let’s not pretend though that he isn’t a large part of the success the Magic are having this season.

Guys who get paid the Max should be able to take over and win games on their own on occasion. I haven't seen that from Suggs yet, but Franz has. No way Suggs gets the Max until he can provem all wrong!

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
AaronB
Bench Warmer
And1: 622

Post#40 » by AaronB » Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:18 am

The-Stallion70 wrote:
AaronB wrote:
The-Stallion70 wrote:

Nice try.

I asked a pretty clear and obvious question in response to someone else saying that Siggs may get the same amount as Franz. My question was explain how Suggs gets paid the same as Franz.

The answers I got were support for Suggs but then they finished by saying that they don't think he'll get paid as much as Franz. Therefore this doesn't really answer the question.

What is hard to understand about that bucko?

You are the poster who said that Suggs may get $144M which I would be shocked my because of inconsistent performance and injury history.

I stated in my post that I think he should get an extension because he's a good player but paying him as much as Franz is crazy.

You can't just pay the guy cause he's a fan favorite. Marcus Smartv was a fan but now the Celts are better than since they replaced him with Jrue holiday who is a better overall player.

I suspect your inability to grasp basic things like this pops up in your everyday existence as well.

Looks I was right again, you don't read or listen.

I have never said that Suggs would get "144". I have put out 2 numbers, a 4-year number, and a 5-year number, and neither are "144".

The numbers I have put out are really high and I think that they will prove out in the end.

Return to Orlando Magic