ImageImageImageImage

Official 2023-2024 Magic General Season Thread II

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

DiplomaticMagic
Head Coach
And1: 2,516

Re: Official 2023-2024 Magic General Season Thread II 

Post#61 » by DiplomaticMagic » Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:52 pm

I feel like Ceruti hyped us up too much in the Bill Simmons podcast. Even with our recent play, I find it tough to see us actually winning a series.
STOP PLAYING FULTZ
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,265

Post#62 » by eyriq » Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:40 pm

DiplomaticMagic wrote:I feel like Ceruti hyped us up too much in the Bill Simmons podcast. Even with our recent play, I find it tough to see us actually winning a series.
Very reasonable to think we'll win a series at this point. We'll be underdogs though. Would need decent odds to put money on a win.
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,160

Post#63 » by zaymon » Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:11 pm

SOUL wrote:

I like this guy's content, starts at about 1:10:00.

Shows so many little things that happen in the game and schemes/intentions and all the minutiae which goes overlooked in games.. which is why I get so annoyed sometimes about just little things people say who just look at the score or makes or misses and assume X Y Z.

Paolo can act like pg but without guard who can run pick and roll we wont be able to hunt matchups in the post season. Its too easy to switch Franz/Paolo, even WCj/Paolo. How much defense we can sacrifice ? Can we start Monk or will he destroy most of our defensive identity ? In that case should Jrue be our top priority? Questions, questions, questions.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
CocoaFan
Sophomore
And1: 55

Post#64 » by CocoaFan » Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:14 pm

zaymon wrote:
Audi wrote:
zaymon wrote:This is exactly how i predicted Fultz would look like but nobody wanted to listen.

No. You didn't. You didn't believe his three point shooting was for real - along with quite a few other posters here. Congrats. Not even close to the same as predicting setbacks we've seen.

zaymon wrote:Last time he was in a contract year he tore his acl after very bad start and i never saw person so happy after such awful injury.

Lol. So he was happy to tear his ACL now? Wtf is this? What's your vendetta here? Where did the bad Markelle touch you?

zaymon wrote:Guy have big mental problem and that last interview said he is angry every time he hears its mental. Well thats the reaction of every person with mental problem. Guys like Suggs just mention it without problem and move forward, guys like Fultz just surrender and detach from reality.

You are so off base I honestly have to wonder if you one day decided to just troll on everything Fultz related. Are you clowning everyone? For real man - be honest.

You are the one poster here who i dont see any reason to discuss about Fultz. You are wrong every time and i see zero chance you will change your mind. We can discuss any other topic.
You read that his MRI is clear and every doctor said he is fine as proof of injury. You write nonsense about his shoulder injury this year without even team mentioning it once. You see no dissonance that team list his problem as knee tendinitis and his explosive athletecism is as good as ever. Shoulder doesnt prevent him from dunking with force but prevents him from shooting. You see no false when you hear he says he is a great creator and his shooting is fine. You dont listen when teammates say he has his own thing going on but never mention injury.
You are also living in your own world.
Also dont act like i have something against Markelle. He seems like good person, and i wish him well. Its painful to watch how he cant accept reality. If you dont see the problem you cant solve it.
So you are saying Fultz's changed shot is all in his head and his shoulder is structurally fine? If you do a little more research you'll see TOS doesn't always show up on an MRI, and 2nd don't you think our FO would hide Fultz's recurrence of the TOS and saying it came back could end his chances of ever getting a new contract. Look how they've handled other injuries to Magic players. They've never up front. Gary Harris for a recent example. They've been saying he's had a calf injury for the last month. Now they're saying it's plantar fasciitis?
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,729

Post#65 » by thelead » Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:23 am

Franz Wagner has a three-point percentage of 16.7 in his last 15 games... WTF
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,362

Post#66 » by Knightro » Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:24 am

thelead wrote:Franz Wagner has a three-point percentage of 16.7 in his last 15 games... WTF

Feels like they should just get rid of him.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,722

Post#67 » by basketballRob » Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:33 am

Golden State still has to play 2 games before playing us.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM mobile app
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,729

Post#68 » by thelead » Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:34 am

Knightro wrote:
thelead wrote:Franz Wagner has a three-point percentage of 16.7 in his last 15 games... WTF

He's definitely not playing himself into the max contract we all once thought he'd easily get. Negotiations might get contentious.
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,019

Post#69 » by fendilim » Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:54 am

thelead wrote:
Knightro wrote:

He's definitely not playing himself into the max contract we all once thought he'd easily get. Negotiations might get contentious.

Well, that’s good for us if he doesnt get the max :lol:
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,632

Post#70 » by Skybox » Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:39 am

thelead wrote:
Knightro wrote:

Definitely wasn’t ever unanimous. Great player isn’t the same as max player.
jezzerinho
Starter
And1: 1,509

Post#71 » by jezzerinho » Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:00 pm

Franz just needs to sort out his shooting form off-season. He tried to remove the dip that was slowing his release and he ended up with this shot that's all arm and therefore comes out flat and hard.

Because he's 6'10" he doesnt need a super fast release. The dip was hurting him because it was taking the ball down to his waist and making him easier to defend. But once he gets the ball up around head height he can take all the time ned needs to get it off in rhythm, imo. Nobody's blocking it anyway...
p0peye
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,002

Post#72 » by p0peye » Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:01 pm

thelead wrote:
Knightro wrote:

Max contract he is not, at least not at this stage of his development. He is very good young player on both sides of the ball, can be trusted with ball, can playmake a little and puts pressure on opponents rim with amazing driving and footwork.

However, he is a far cry from three level scorer, evident by his shot chart below:

Paolo, Franz is not.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#73 » by Knightro » Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:27 pm

A modern “three level” scorer isn’t getting buckets in the midrange btw. Thats not an efficient shot for the vast majority of players, including Paolo.

At rim
At FT line
At 3PT line

That’s what most people mean when they talk about a three level guy, not someone who lives in the midrange.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,632

Post#74 » by Skybox » Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:27 pm

Knightro wrote:A modern “three level” scorer isn’t getting buckets in the midrange btw. Thats not an efficient shot for the vast majority of players, including Paolo.

At rim
At FT line
At 3PT line

That’s what most people mean when they talk about a three level guy, not someone who lives in the midrange.

Agree...and that makes Paolo a "four level" scorer, I guess. He shoots them, even contested, with such a high level of confidence.

Mid-range stars like Derozan and CP3 are an unusual species. They are not bad shots if the particular guy makes them at a high %, but midrange has, from a purely analytics standpoint, gone out of style.
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,092

Post#75 » by yoyojw17 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:06 pm

fendilim wrote:
thelead wrote:
Knightro wrote:

Hahah... thought the same.... but .... I think by next season ... that ish will be rectified. Lol.... shoot... even by the time of the playoffs
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#76 » by Knightro » Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:07 pm

yoyojw17 wrote:
fendilim wrote:
thelead wrote:He's definitely not playing himself into the max contract we all once thought he'd easily get. Negotiations might get contentious.

Hahah... thought the same.... but .... I think by next season ... that ish will be rectified. Lol.... shoot... even by the time of the playoffs

He is extension eligible this summer for what it’s worth.

Suggs is as well.
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,092

Post#77 » by yoyojw17 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:23 pm

Knightro wrote:
yoyojw17 wrote:
fendilim wrote:Well, that’s good for us if he doesnt get the max :lol:

He is extension eligible this summer for what it’s worth.

Suggs is as well.

Wrap them both up asap
Bakomagic
Bench Warmer
And1: 894

Post#78 » by Bakomagic » Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:54 pm

Knightro wrote:A modern “three level” scorer isn’t getting buckets in the midrange btw. Thats not an efficient shot for the vast majority of players, including Paolo.

At rim
At FT line
At 3PT line

You just made that up haha.

I do see what you are trying to say though. I think it’s still beneficial to have a midrange game in your bag, especially when it comes to star level iso scorers. Having that extra threat just gives the defense another thing to worry about.

Role players should stick with 3p and layups though.
p0peye
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,002

Post#79 » by p0peye » Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:55 pm

At rim
At FT line
At 3PT line

Traditionally it is 3pt, midrange and at the rim, though I agree that game has evolved and arguably can be 5-level even. My point is that Franz as of today is reliably efficient driving at the rim only.
penny_nz
Analyst
And1: 1,556

Post#80 » by penny_nz » Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:58 pm

Absolutely massive issue, just further shrinks the floor. He needs to break this slump asap
I still believe in Magic! Welcome to the Franz & Paolo era

Return to Orlando Magic