ImageImageImageImage

Who's your #1 target this summer?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

OrlChamps2030
General Manager
And1: 4,160

Re: Who's your #1 target this summer? 

Post#21 » by OrlChamps2030 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:39 pm

mattdelray1220 wrote:
basketballRob wrote:Jrue and Suggs backcourt would be perfect. It would cost the max.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM mobile app

Could you imagine if they made a move like that? That would signal to the league they think they could win the east NEXT YEAR! What I would do for Kelles, Garys, Ingles minutes to be Jrue and JI.

Anyone else remember this past summer when posters said we don’t need Holiday we have Fultz?

:lol:
Max Power
Head Coach
And1: 1,204

Post#22 » by Max Power » Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:41 pm

Honestly I’m looking at Malik Monk and adding another solid big guy. We need to keep Goga in my opinion. He’s the only real center on the roster. JI and WCJ just play it out of position. Monk provides a good scorer to go with Suggs that could grow with the current roster. Not sure who’s out there big wise outside of Claxton who’s been mentioned a lot already. Maybe make a move for a guy like Daniel Gafford, who’d be helpful as well.
You look confused...let me fill you in.
RichCollab
Starter
And1: 663

Post#23 » by RichCollab » Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:45 pm

Monk or bust.

Claxton is average at best BBIQ and office will suffer.

Also, how would JI and Claxton play together?
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,112

Post#24 » by tiderulz » Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:01 pm

Skybox wrote:Who do you hope the FO goes hard at - either by trade, FA signing, or even draft? Name your #1 priority

To make it worthwhile, limit your choices to players that have some realistic reason to possibly be available. Tatum, Steph, Luka...aren't going anywhere...but you could make a case that Trae or Klay might, for example. IF you're prioritizing saving trade assets and/or young players that would likely be included, then UFA's or even monster offers to RFA's might be your direction. The beauty of this summer is that our FO...if they REALLY want someone...can make it happen-in a variety of ways.

Mine, at the moment is ...Dejounte Murray.

I think he's the one guy that is very likely available for a price that does NOT compromise our defense. In fact, he would escalate our on-ball savagery while also handling PG on-ball as needed and still having explosive offensive potential (I'd expect him to average 18ppg with 6+ assists-but he's also a guy that might put up 30 a few times, as opportunities and double-teams present. Other guys would come cheaper or just for cap space, but he checks a lot of boxes and really zero compromises (as opposed to some of the offensive aces we discuss). Our best trade assets are picks and cap space (maybe WCJ, Cole...), so it'd likely be a three-way as ATL probably isn't looking to take a deep dive.

Imagine adding that much offense AND defense in one shot...my follow up would be to try to grab a rim protector like Claxton...but, not until we have some added offense coming from where it belongs - the backcourt.

I agree. I think we need a legit PG. I think Suggs is more combo guard and Black could learn from Murray and Suggs. I want a PG upgrade more than I want a SG upgrade. I worry about an "overpay" cost.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,112

Post#25 » by tiderulz » Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:05 pm

mattdelray1220 wrote:
basketballRob wrote:Jrue and Suggs backcourt would be perfect. It would cost the max.

Could you imagine if they made a move like that? That would signal to the league they think they could win the east NEXT YEAR! What I would do for Kelles, Garys, Ingles minutes to be Jrue and JI.

Worry about a 34 yr old Holiday. I worry about his dropoff physically too. It will happen at some point. i wont ding his production this year too much as he is going from #3 option to #4 option (though Porzingis missing enough games he could be considered a #3 option)
CocoaFan
Sophomore
And1: 56

Post#26 » by CocoaFan » Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:05 pm

I would go with Dejounte Murray if his attitude was ok, but I don't think Magic management would. We had our chance and I don't think we even tried. That being the case I'd go with Malik Monk.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,930

Post#27 » by drsd » Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:38 pm

JoshuaPotter wrote:Image

Or:

MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,991

Post#28 » by MagicMatic » Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:04 pm

Holiday and Grayson Allen
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,092

Post#29 » by yoyojw17 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:12 pm

For a two year ultimate defensive backcourt, leader, great pg play for what we need and shooter..... yeah.... he's my number one right now too. just not sure we have the opportunity to sniff that deal depending how this season ends. and if it is possible... i'm down! I said it last year and i'll say it this offseason... i love fultz... STILL.... but i'll help him move if meant getting Jrue.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,834

Post#30 » by RookieStar » Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:12 pm

Grayson
JF5
RealGM
And1: 3,902

Post#31 » by JF5 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:19 pm

AaronB wrote:
JF5 wrote:
Skybox wrote:
do you like Trent that much or do you just feel he's the most "gettable"?

I wouldn't hate it, as long as there's not an overpay...A whole bunch of shooters got that $18m-ish per deal (like GTJ) and couldn't hold their value enough to justify it...Fournier, Kennard, Beasley, Hield (actually more), Gary Harris... GTJ is my preference among them...I'd be happy to add him on a better deal.

A lot of aspects of Trent make sense for the Magic.

1. Very elite 3 point shooting. Easily top 10 shooter in the league. Put that with Paolo/Franz who are sharing the floor with another guard who is on the cusp of being an elite shooter. You'll have spacing for DAYYYSSS. The Magic are already an elite paint offense. Just cant imagine what they would look like with adding Trent. Gets me absolutely hyped. Attached to the fact he can create his own offense if need be on 1on1 situations and he can get to the paint. My goodness, lol...

2. Him not taking the ball out of the cores hands. Specifically Paolo/Wagner and lesser extent Suggs as he's strictly a Shooter/Scorer.

3. His defense is good under the right coach/system. We saw him guard Wagner and effectively on the perimeter, and somewhat Paolo effectively in the post with his frame. He has active hands and can steal the ball. Also, under Nurse for a few seasons he looked good and reliable. With how strong the Magic defense is, he only has to be as effective as Gary Harris now, and I believe he can be better.

4. He doesn't have to play 30+ minutes a game. 25-30 seems to be the correct amount for a team that wants to have its bench come in and reek havoc and keep players fresh.

5. That contract like you mentioned. He's going to be CHEAP relative to other guys on the market. You get him on a 3-4 year deal with a team option, whilst being able to keep and even add to that elite bench/roster is a HUGE.

To me, watching Trent Jr... There's more to him that people aren't recognizing. He'd fit perfectly here.

I watched Trent a couple of times this week.

I thought he had a lot more athletic ability than he is showing now.

He looks slow and low.

He also looked like he had a really poor BBIQ.

The shot skill level is clearly high, but I think that the low BBIQ would get old really quickly.

Part of the problem could have been the talent that he was playing with and how he adapted to that talent.

Hard to evaluate BBIQ when a guy is passing to guys who should be playing in the G league.

This is all fair... He's more positional when it comes to defending his man than straight up hounding man to man combat compared to Suggs when he plays 1on1 defense.

Also, I think you hit the nail on the head with his BBIQ in a sense where the players around him are brand new teammates that wouldn't be in the league, while the team has been clearly tanking. The Raptors are moving on from him so he's sort of checked out of the season (Unless he's playing against teams that will look to sign him in the offseason).

I just look towards previous seasons under Nurse where he looked relatively good as a defender during that time.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,272

Post#32 » by eyriq » Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:12 am

I'm 100% on board with a backcourt rotation of AB, Suggs, Cole, Jett next season. Get Claxton.
ogmagicfan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,660

Post#33 » by ogmagicfan » Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:29 am

Malik Monk is the #1 player I want to go after this offseason.

Dynamic offensive player, can single handedly carry your offense through stretches, and has made huge leaps this season with his passing. He has the highest ast % on drives in the whole NBA, unreal.

He's pretty much Anfernee Simons, but not the worst guard defender in the NBA. Instead he's a mediocre defender but not bad enough that he would be something too hard to overcome like Simons. Both are super athletic.
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,739

Post#34 » by thelead » Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:34 am

ogmagicfan wrote:Malik Monk is the #1 player I want to go after this offseason.

Dynamic offensive player, can single handedly carry your offense through stretches, and has made huge leaps this season with his passing. He has the highest ast % on drives in the whole NBA, unreal.

He's pretty much Anfernee Simons, but not the worst guard defender in the NBA. Instead he's a mediocre defender but not bad enough that he would be something too hard to overcome like Simons. Both are super athletic.

and we don't have to give up assets to get him. For that alone, I prefer Monk over Simons.
ogmagicfan
Assistant Coach

Post#35 » by ogmagicfan » Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:44 am

thelead wrote:

and we don't have to give up assets to get him. For that alone, I prefer Monk over Simons.

This too, which is an interesting convo in itself because I feel like Simons value isnt close to as high as has been pushed on our board because of his defensive shortcomings

Sucks because I'd love to have the hometown kid on our team, but his defensive shortcomings are way too much to overlook
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,739

Post#36 » by thelead » Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:46 am

ogmagicfan wrote:
thelead wrote:

This too, which is an interesting convo in itself because I feel like Simons value isnt close to as high as has been pushed on our board because of his defensive shortcomings

Sucks because I'd love to have the hometown kid on our team, but his defensive shortcomings are way too much to overlook

I would take Simons for picks but we know Portland wouldn't do that. On another note, Holiday would be my #1 target. Monk is likely #2.
ogmagicfan
Assistant Coach

Post#37 » by ogmagicfan » Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:47 am

delete
ogmagicfan
Assistant Coach

Post#38 » by ogmagicfan » Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:47 am

thelead wrote:
ogmagicfan wrote:
thelead wrote:and we don't have to give up assets to get him. For that alone, I prefer Monk over Simons.

I would take Simons for picks but we know Portland wouldn't do that. On another note, Holiday would be my #1 target. Monk is likely #2.

Jrue is really interesting, and I'd be open to it. The question is will Jrue be open to it.

It'll depend on how the Celtics do this postseason.

If we can sign him, a contract similar to FVV's 2 yr contract, team option on 3rd makes sense. Hopefully we can sign him for less than FVV signed to the Rockets because they had to pay the "bad team tax"
golfreak
Rookie
And1: 91

Post#39 » by golfreak » Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:10 am

mattdelray1220 wrote:My #1 target would be Desmond Bane. He fits exactly what we need at the 2. He just got paid. The Grizz suck and are a mess. We can offer them picks and salary relief for him. I am sure they are high on him. Maybe it takes Black and 3 1sts. I would prob do that. Not sure the Magic would.

Good Lord, you can't just pluck some guy you want for the team and say let's offer them a bunch of #1 picks.
If getting Doncic is 0%, then getting Bane would be .01%.
He just signed an extension and next year will be the start of the 5 yr extension.
Memphis is a pretty good team with Morant back next year.
They were a top 3 team in the West last yr before Morant got suspended so there's no reason why they can't still be top 4 in the West.
The core of Morant, Bane and JJJ is still pretty damn good.
DiplomaticMagic
Head Coach
And1: 2,517

Post#40 » by DiplomaticMagic » Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:52 pm

Malik Monk is growing on me, I just worry because he will go for 30+ 1 day and the next game he will have 8 pts. Wish there was more consistency.

Also was he good anywhere else besides Sacramento? ( asking a question not saying)
STOP PLAYING FULTZ

Return to Orlando Magic