ImageImageImageImage

Who's your #1 target this summer?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,632

Who's your #1 target this summer? 

Post#1 » by Skybox » Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:55 pm

Who do you hope the FO goes hard at - either by trade, FA signing, or even draft? Name your #1 priority

To make it worthwhile, limit your choices to players that have some realistic reason to possibly be available. Tatum, Steph, Luka...aren't going anywhere...but you could make a case that Trae or Klay might, for example. IF you're prioritizing saving trade assets and/or young players that would likely be included, then UFA's or even monster offers to RFA's might be your direction. The beauty of this summer is that our FO...if they REALLY want someone...can make it happen-in a variety of ways.

Mine, at the moment is ...Dejounte Murray.

I think he's the one guy that is very likely available for a price that does NOT compromise our defense. In fact, he would escalate our on-ball savagery while also handling PG on-ball as needed and still having explosive offensive potential (I'd expect him to average 18ppg with 6+ assists-but he's also a guy that might put up 30 a few times, as opportunities and double-teams present. Other guys would come cheaper or just for cap space, but he checks a lot of boxes and really zero compromises (as opposed to some of the offensive aces we discuss). Our best trade assets are picks and cap space (maybe WCJ, Cole...), so it'd likely be a three-way as ATL probably isn't looking to take a deep dive.

Imagine adding that much offense AND defense in one shot...my follow up would be to try to grab a rim protector like Claxton...but, not until we have some added offense coming from where it belongs - the backcourt.
Petre1978
Sixth Man
And1: 373

Re: Who's your #1 target this summer? 

Post#2 » by Petre1978 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:28 pm

Malik Monk
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,265

Post#3 » by eyriq » Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:49 pm

Nic Claxton
magic22s
Junior
And1: 116

Post#4 » by magic22s » Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:00 pm

Grayson Allen
Black and Blue
Sixth Man
And1: 1,432

Post#5 » by Black and Blue » Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:05 pm

I can't see them ignoring the point guard position unless they are masochists, but I don't see them making a big splash either with a team that's improved so much.

I can see the Magic hedging here a bit and going with Tyus Jones to upgrade the PG position while affording for the possibility AB can win the starting role at some point. I think they'll also overpay a bit to keep Goga whom they have developed and is still plenty young. He reminds me a bit of Gortat as a solid long term backup with spot-start potential.

It's not sexy, but at least it's a forward-thinking plan towards player development and finding diamonds in the rough. They also will prioritize getting Franz and Suggs extension conversations started.
AaronB
Bench Warmer
And1: 622

Post#6 » by AaronB » Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:23 pm

D Russell

He knows how to play with bigs who dominate the ball and has had enough failure in his career to know that is not what he wants.
JF5
RealGM
And1: 3,900

Post#7 » by JF5 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:37 pm

Hard to answer this... I have 3...

1a. Gary Trent Jr.
1b. Mikal Bridges
1c. OG Anunoby
JoshuaPotter
Starter
And1: 681

Post#8 » by JoshuaPotter » Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:22 pm

Forgetting what management will likely do.

- I like upgrade the "C" position. Especially if we think Goga would walk. My heart is set on Claxton at the moment. But wouldn't be mad if we got Goga if we clear a path for him.
- on paper, the backcourt defense is taken care of
- We probably need to pick up Ingles option because shot creation is an issue, and I do not see us getting an artist at PG that wouldn't hurt Blacks chances long term.
- Draft, stash in summer league.
- Franz
- Suggs
- Unironically, if you wanted another name besides Claxton and Goga, his name is, playoff run permitting, Isaac.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,632

Post#9 » by Skybox » Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:35 pm

JF5 wrote:Hard to answer this... I have 3...

1a. Gary Trent Jr.
1b. Mikal Bridges
1c. OG Anunoby

do you like Trent that much or do you just feel he's the most "gettable"?

I wouldn't hate it, as long as there's not an overpay...A whole bunch of shooters got that $18m-ish per deal (like GTJ) and couldn't hold their value enough to justify it...Fournier, Kennard, Beasley, Hield (actually more), Gary Harris... GTJ is my preference among them...I'd be happy to add him on a better deal.
Furinkazan
General Manager
And1: 3,534

Post#10 » by Furinkazan » Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:54 pm

If few years ago Id say our big signing would be be Monk or Allen XD Id get fkn destroyed XD

for me theres none.... barren featureless desert out there on fa market
Residual-Heat
Sixth Man
And1: 933

Post#11 » by Residual-Heat » Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:55 pm

Im with you. Murray+Claxton would be amazing, but i wouldnt mind just trading for Murray and keeping WCJ as a starter. Would also look to add a few Ingles type of vets.
JF5
RealGM
And1: 3,900

Post#12 » by JF5 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:08 pm

Skybox wrote:

1a. Gary Trent Jr.
1b. Mikal Bridges
1c. OG Anunoby

I wouldn't hate it, as long as there's not an overpay...A whole bunch of shooters got that $18m-ish per deal (like GTJ) and couldn't hold their value enough to justify it...Fournier, Kennard, Beasley, Hield (actually more), Gary Harris... GTJ is my preference among them...I'd be happy to add him on a better deal.

A lot of aspects of Trent make sense for the Magic.

1. Very elite 3 point shooting. Easily top 10 shooter in the league. Put that with Paolo/Franz who are sharing the floor with another guard who is on the cusp of being an elite shooter. You'll have spacing for DAYYYSSS. The Magic are already an elite paint offense. Just cant imagine what they would look like with adding Trent. Gets me absolutely hyped. Attached to the fact he can create his own offense if need be on 1on1 situations and he can get to the paint. My goodness, lol...

2. Him not taking the ball out of the cores hands. Specifically Paolo/Wagner and lesser extent Suggs as he's strictly a Shooter/Scorer.

3. His defense is good under the right coach/system. We saw him guard Wagner and effectively on the perimeter, and somewhat Paolo effectively in the post with his frame. He has active hands and can steal the ball. Also, under Nurse for a few seasons he looked good and reliable. With how strong the Magic defense is, he only has to be as effective as Gary Harris now, and I believe he can be better.

4. He doesn't have to play 30+ minutes a game. 25-30 seems to be the correct amount for a team that wants to have its bench come in and reek havoc and keep players fresh.

5. That contract like you mentioned. He's going to be CHEAP relative to other guys on the market. You get him on a 3-4 year deal with a team option, whilst being able to keep and even add to that elite bench/roster is a HUGE.

To me, watching Trent Jr... There's more to him that people aren't recognizing. He'd fit perfectly here.
AaronB
Bench Warmer
And1: 622

Post#13 » by AaronB » Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:16 pm

JF5 wrote:
Skybox wrote:

1a. Gary Trent Jr.
1b. Mikal Bridges
1c. OG Anunoby

A lot of aspects of Trent make sense for the Magic.

1. Very elite 3 point shooting. Easily top 10 shooter in the league. Put that with Paolo/Franz who are sharing the floor with another guard who is on the cusp of being an elite shooter. You'll have spacing for DAYYYSSS. The Magic are already an elite paint offense. Just cant imagine what they would look like with adding Trent. Gets me absolutely hyped. Attached to the fact he can create his own offense if need be on 1on1 situations and he can get to the paint. My goodness, lol...

2. Him not taking the ball out of the cores hands. Specifically Paolo/Wagner and lesser extent Suggs as he's strictly a Shooter/Scorer.

3. His defense is good under the right coach/system. We saw him guard Wagner and effectively on the perimeter, and somewhat Paolo effectively in the post with his frame. He has active hands and can steal the ball. Also, under Nurse for a few seasons he looked good and reliable. With how strong the Magic defense is, he only has to be as effective as Gary Harris now, and I believe he can be better.

4. He doesn't have to play 30+ minutes a game. 25-30 seems to be the correct amount for a team that wants to have its bench come in and reek havoc and keep players fresh.

5. That contract like you mentioned. He's going to be CHEAP relative to other guys on the market. You get him on a 3-4 year deal with a team option, whilst being able to keep and even add to that elite bench/roster is a HUGE.

To me, watching Trent Jr... There's more to him that people aren't recognizing. He'd fit perfectly here.

I watched Trent a couple of times this week.

I thought he had a lot more athletic ability than he is showing now.

He looks slow and low.

He also looked like he had a really poor BBIQ.

The shot skill level is clearly high, but I think that the low BBIQ would get old really quickly.

Part of the problem could have been the talent that he was playing with and how he adapted to that talent.

Hard to evaluate BBIQ when a guy is passing to guys who should be playing in the G league.
The-Stallion70
Rookie
And1: 388

Post#14 » by The-Stallion70 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:35 pm

I love the D'Angelo idea but getting Grayson would really interesting, adding the best three point shooting role player in the league to a team that badly needs it.

The man shoots 48% from 3 on 6 att per game. That is scorching any way you look at it.
thelead wrote:I have a memory like an elephant.
davey_wavy
Sixth Man
And1: 1,002

Post#15 » by davey_wavy » Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:38 pm

Claxton & Trent Jr

You need shooting (Trent)

You need bunnies (Clax)
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,362

Post#16 » by Knightro » Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:57 pm

Jrue Holiday
Viper1500
Head Coach
And1: 2,702

Post#17 » by Viper1500 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:12 pm

1. Jrue Holiday - Would cost a sh** ton, something like 2/90. However, he'd be a perfect fit, even at 34 years old.

2. Monk - Most likely cost about 4/90

3. Grayson Allen - Having one of the best shooting years of all time.. I'd think he gets at least 4/80

4. GTJ - Upgrade over Gary, something around 3/50

5. D-LO - In order for him to leave LAL, I'd think he would want at least 25m per.. He's playing well at the moment, but I could easily see this being a bad contract moving forward.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,722

Post#18 » by basketballRob » Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:21 pm

Jrue and Suggs backcourt would be perfect. It would cost the max.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM mobile app
mattdelray1220
Sophomore
And1: 87

Post#19 » by mattdelray1220 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:28 pm

basketballRob wrote:Jrue and Suggs backcourt would be perfect. It would cost the max.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM mobile app

Could you imagine if they made a move like that? That would signal to the league they think they could win the east NEXT YEAR! What I would do for Kelles, Garys, Ingles minutes to be Jrue and JI.
mattdelray1220
Sophomore
And1: 87

Post#20 » by mattdelray1220 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:34 pm

My #1 target would be Desmond Bane. He fits exactly what we need at the 2. He just got paid. The Grizz suck and are a mess. We can offer them picks and salary relief for him. I am sure they are high on him. Maybe it takes Black and 3 1sts. I would prob do that. Not sure the Magic would.

Return to Orlando Magic