ImageImageImageImage

2023-2024 Regular Season Game 71: Sacramento Kings (40-29) at Orlando Magic (42-28) - 7pm

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,722

Re: 2023-2024 Regular Season Game 71: Sacramento Kings (40-29) at Orlando Magic (42-28) - 7pm 

Post#641 » by basketballRob » Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:45 pm

Rainwater wrote:
basketballRob wrote:
Rainwater wrote:
Yeah, I agree to a certain extent that Magic defense is their offense but switching out WCJ and Harris for Goga and Black will just make the Magic more reliant on their defense to produce. You will have very few shooters on the court. The team will be highly dependent on Paolo and Franz to score but I do agree I don’t expect the starting up to change.

And also the starting line will be tightened in the playoffs. I only expect Moe, JI, and Cole to play off the bench.
I think the Magic were better offensivly too when everyone was healthy except Fultz and Carter.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM mobile app

When I think of that starting unit with Goga and Black, I think of that Sac game where Paolo was essentially playing 1 on 5 offensively.
That wasn't the lineup with only Fultz and Black out. Franz, Cole, and Isaac were also out the first game against Sacramento.

Rainwater
General Manager
And1: 5,643

Re: 2023-2024 Regular Season Game 71: Sacramento Kings (40-29) at Orlando Magic (42-28) - 7pm 

Post#642 » by Rainwater » Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:06 pm

basketballRob wrote:
Rainwater wrote:
basketballRob wrote:I think the Magic were better offensivly too when everyone was healthy except Fultz and Carter.

When I think of that starting unit with Goga and Black, I think of that Sac game where Paolo was essentially playing 1 on 5 offensively.
That wasn't the lineup with only Fultz and Black out. Franz, Cole, and Isaac were also out the first game against Sacramento.

It’s the idea that Goga and Black bring very little offensively at this point. Just like the Sac game, with starting unit of Black and Goga, all the burden will be on Paolo (and Franz) to do everything while Harris and WCJ can at least spread the floor get some offense on their own.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,830

Post#643 » by RookieStar » Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:17 pm

You guys still can't wrap up what your eyes are telling you huh? The birth of a new Magic Killer. Just like the Cavs game with Merril, we got torched.

It is what it is
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#644 » by basketballRob » Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:47 pm

Rainwater wrote:
basketballRob wrote:
Rainwater wrote:

It’s the idea that Goga and Black bring very little offensively at this point. Just like the Sac game, with starting unit of Black and Goga, all the burden will be on Paolo (and Franz) to do everything while Harris and WCJ can at least spread the floor get some offense on their own.
Wendell and Harris bring nothing in some games. We don't really need the little bit of offense they give. That was always the reason not to trade Vuc and Fournier. Surprisingly, when you remove those players, it doesn't hurt the offensive rating.

SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,638

Post#645 » by SOUL » Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:03 pm

Harris is our best SG option at this point, and has been solid the last two months.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,830

Post#646 » by RookieStar » Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:18 pm

SOUL wrote:Harris is our best SG option at this point, and has been solid the last two months.

Yup... his defense has really been under-rated here. We would have probably made Ellis worked or missed his 3s more.
DiplomaticMagic
Head Coach
And1: 2,516

Post#647 » by DiplomaticMagic » Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:46 pm

Man these Kings games over the years past pissed me off the most. Im still pissed from yesterday. We seriously dont play til Wednesday?
STOP PLAYING FULTZ
Rainwater
General Manager
And1: 5,643

Post#648 » by Rainwater » Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:48 am

basketballRob wrote:
Rainwater wrote:
basketballRob wrote:That wasn't the lineup with only Fultz and Black out. Franz, Cole, and Isaac were also out the first game against Sacramento.

Wendell and Harris bring nothing in some games. We don't really need the little bit of offense they give. That was always the reason not to trade Vuc and Fournier. Surprisingly, when you remove those players, it doesn't hurt the offensive rating.

The magic are 26 out of 30 teams in ppg and bottom 10 in off rating. The only other playoff team in the bottom 10 is Miami. The Magic are top three in defensive rating. Taking away “the little bit of offense” that Harris and WCJ bring for a team that is already struggling on that end makes little sense especially when their defense is already great.
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#649 » by basketballRob » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:33 am

Rainwater wrote:
basketballRob wrote:
Rainwater wrote:

The magic are 26 out of 30 teams in ppg and bottom 10 in off rating. The only other playoff team in the bottom 10 is Miami. The Magic are top three in defensive rating. Taking away “the little bit of offense” that Harris and WCJ bring for a team that is already struggling on that end makes little sense especially when their defense is already great.
That goes to show you that the offense isn't working with Wendell. Goga gives the team more possessions with offensive rebounding and shot blocking. I like that when Goga doesn't have an advantage after a rebound, he'll toss it out. Wendell doesn't have the same feel for the game.

I do think Harris is the best option at SG, but I think Black is close. I liked it when Suggs and Black started together. Black and Harris are both low usage and interchangeable. Harris has a little more offense and Black a little more defense.

JoshuaPotter
Starter
And1: 681

Post#650 » by JoshuaPotter » Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:30 pm

I didn't get to watch / listen to this game. Based on what I was able to watch with the updated boxscore. It was a mix of players then coach losing it.
JF5
RealGM
And1: 3,900

Post#651 » by JF5 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:57 pm

basketballRob wrote:
Rainwater wrote:
basketballRob wrote:Wendell and Harris bring nothing in some games. We don't really need the little bit of offense they give. That was always the reason not to trade Vuc and Fournier. Surprisingly, when you remove those players, it doesn't hurt the offensive rating.

That goes to show you that the offense isn't working with Wendell. Goga gives the team more possessions with offensive rebounding and shot blocking. I like that when Goga doesn't have an advantage after a rebound, he'll toss it out. Wendell doesn't have the same feel for the game.

I do think Harris is the best option at SG, but I think Black is close. I liked it when Suggs and Black started together. Black and Harris are both low usage and interchangeable. Harris has a little more offense and Black a little more defense.

Eh, Goga "gains more" possessions because he's parked at the bottom of the rim because he isn't a threat to shoot/score. But we've seen his presence clog the lane and allow a taller Center to be able to rotate to those guys to create tougher shots.

Wendell is put on the perimeter to allow more space for Paolo and Wagner to score at the rim and for his occasional 3 point shooting. So of course he's not going to provide extra possessions if he's parked at the 3 point line.

If Wendell is an offensive threat (when he doesn't lose confidence) and the defense doesn't drop off, which the numbers show it does not then he needs to be on the court.
Fortune Teller
Sophomore
And1: 153

Post#652 » by Fortune Teller » Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:31 pm

You could argue that Fultz is a PG, that Suggs has *some* PG skills, and Black was drafted as a PG but hasn't really been given the chance to run the point.

What you can't dispute is the fact that there is no starting PG on this team. Not even close. Which is unacceptable.
Bergmaniac
Head Coach
And1: 9,568

Post#653 » by Bergmaniac » Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:36 pm

The numbers show that the significant increase in the offensive rebounding rate when Goga plays compared to when Wendell plays (33.2 compared to 26.6) more than make up for the lesser decrease in scoring efficiency (56.1 TS% compared to 58.5). Overall the offensive efficiency when Goga has been on the court is 112.8 while for Wendell the number is 110.4. Spacing is not everything. One non-shooting big who sets good screens and is a very good offensive rebounder is usually fine offensively if the rest of the lineup can space the floor decently since he is a good target for passes leading to dunks and layups when his man leaves to help and also can easily grab a lot of offensive rebounds in such cases.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,265

Post#654 » by eyriq » Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:39 pm

Bergmaniac wrote:The numbers show that the significant increase in the offensive rebounding rate when Goga plays compared to when Wendell plays (33.2 compared to 26.6) more than make up for the lesser decrease in scoring efficiency (56.1 TS% compared to 58.5). Overall the offensive efficiency when Goga has been on the court is 112.8 while for Wendell the number is 110.4. Spacing is not everything. One non-shooting big who sets good screens and is a very good offensive rebounder is usually fine offensively if the rest of the lineup can space the floor decently since he is a good target for passes leading to dunks and layups when his man leaves to help and also can easily grab a lot of offensive rebounds in such cases.
Yup, we are better off with Goga, there isn't much room for doubt.
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#655 » by basketballRob » Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:47 pm

Bergmaniac wrote:The numbers show that the significant increase in the offensive rebounding rate when Goga plays compared to when Wendell plays (33.2 compared to 26.6) more than make up for the lesser decrease in scoring efficiency (56.1 TS% compared to 58.5). Overall the offensive efficiency when Goga has been on the court is 112.8 while for Wendell the number is 110.4. Spacing is not everything. One non-shooting big who sets good screens and is a very good offensive rebounder is usually fine offensively if the rest of the lineup can space the floor decently since he is a good target for passes leading to dunks and layups when his man leaves to help and also can easily grab a lot of offensive rebounds in such cases.
It's a more exciting brand of basketball. Offensive rebounds and an inside presence. Goga gives us a little of the same thing that Isaac gives us. Both rebound and protect the rim. Wendell is playing like Bamba on offense.

JoshuaPotter
Starter

Post#656 » by JoshuaPotter » Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:49 pm

eyriq wrote:
Yup, we are better off with Goga, there isn't much room for doubt.

Soon, the people whispering "Claxton...claxton" will have the whole fanbase cheering for him.
jezzerinho
Starter
And1: 1,509

Post#657 » by jezzerinho » Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:09 pm

basketballRob wrote:
It's a more exciting brand of basketball. Offensive rebounds and an inside presence. Goga gives us a little of the same thing that Isaac gives us. Both rebound and protect the rim. Wendell is playing like Bamba on offense.

That just isnt true. Wendell is very good at getting Paolo into scoring pockets with screens and rescreens. Wendell screens on the perimeter to allow shooters time to get uncontested shots off. Inside he's patient to lay it up and in defense hes similarly disciplined in not being forced into the air prematurely. He's a good passer for a C, shows great energy getting back on D, shows good positional awareness, seems a great teammate.

Basically the opposite of Bamba.

He frustrates me with how passive he is boxing out and grabbing rebounds - at both ends. Other than that, he's a very solid starting center on a great deal. Mo Bamba will be out of the league soon.

I say all that as a Goga fan.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,980

Post#658 » by MagicMatic » Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:56 pm

p0peye wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:
p0peye wrote:
Markelle is only actual point guard on the roster, Suggs and Cole are shooting guards and Black appears to be a wing. It's not like Mosley has much to work with.

How would you know what AB appears to be? Black hasn’t really even been in the game for the last few months apart from garbage time.

Mosely would rather put a broken overpaid guy, that shouldn’t be on the team next season, in for long stretches making any half court offense nearly impossible rather than playing our lottery pick.

Unless you are implying I am blind, it is very disrespectful. Black has played 60+ games exclusively off ball, even in garbage time. Saying that "it appears" is a polite way of saying he has not been a point guard in Magic jersey so far. if you claim he in fact has been a point guard so far, other than defending point guards, there is a large discrepancy in our understanding of what playing a point means.

He hasnt played.

The most consistent time he has played has been in a 9 game winning streak where he started at point guard.... so wtf are you actually talking about.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,362

Post#659 » by Knightro » Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:32 pm

Read on Twitter
JoshuaPotter
Starter

Post#660 » by JoshuaPotter » Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:38 pm

Knightro wrote:
Read on Twitter

I didn't watch the game. Is this truly the strawman?

Feels like based on the last 2 minutes that we had a lot of missed changes and another 46 minutes to impact the game.

Return to Orlando Magic