ImageImageImageImage

2023-2024 Regular Season Game 72: Golden State Warriors (37-34) at Orlando Magic (42-29) - 7pm

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

3ddman23
General Manager
And1: 2,615

Re: 2023-2024 Regular Season Game 72: Golden State Warriors (37-34) at Orlando Magic (42-29) - 7pm 

Post#721 » by 3ddman23 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:49 am

ChosenSavior wrote:Coach has a bit of a problem on his hands which sucks seeing that it is this late in the season. What do you honestly do with Markelle Fultz? He has not played well enough to be a rotation player. His tenure on the team is his saving grace for playing time.

Crazy enough, the injuries to Gary and Caleb hurt a bit.

Jett Howard...... start him at the 2 and live with what he gives u. But we know how this organization works. That would never happen.
GO MAGIC
ogmagicfan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,654

Re: 2023-2024 Regular Season Game 72: Golden State Warriors (37-34) at Orlando Magic (42-29) - 7pm 

Post#722 » by ogmagicfan » Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:50 am

FFBlitzace wrote:
SOUL wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:Nah. I’ve already been warned recently.

No need to point out people sucking Mosely all season on sub .500 teams while the offense looks like ass most nights against real competition.

Then he has questionable lineups and everyone just wants to point to guys on rookie contracts playing poorly as the justification. Yeah no ****. This team isn’t comprised of vets. It’s a bunch of 2-3 year guys that everyone is hoping to be consistent.

You should be looking more at players that know better and Weltman actually filling out a roster. Fultz shouldn’t be on the floor, there is literally no point. Carter doesn’t fit. This was obvious more than halfway through Paolo’s rookie season.

Bro, the team is 11-0 since ASB with Gary Harris starting. Doesn't matter the competition because we've lost to **** teams the past few years. With him hurt, all these lineups look wonky again.

I can take your criticism of coaching more if you ever held any accountability on players at all on individual performances. If you do, I don't see it.

There's like a hivemind of posters that go "Anthony Black.. Jett Howard... Goga Bitadze... 9 game win streak... only lineup that work. Me want Green Goblins..." ... it's like talking to zombies sometimes which is why I get frustrated.

Fultz IS cooked. But let's say Fultz was COMPLETELY at fault for the bad start, as in he was directly responsible for every basket the other team had and every bad possession from us (which he wasn't).. we can STILL win with other guys. And we didn't.

The guys just didn't have it. Bad free throws, bad open shooting, bad play down the stretch.

Sometimes a lot of people just don't have it that particular night. It is what it is. I'm not someone who has to ALWAYS blame a particular player/coach/whoever after a loss, because it's always a mixed bag of reasons why something doesn't work.

I don't know if it's a personality trait thing or "agenda" or you just truly believe in heart of hearts that every loss or run is on one coach and on nobody else, but I just will never think like that. Never have, never will.

It seems like any time we lose, there has to be this sweeping reevaluation of the entire organization from the owners, to the players, to the towel boys. Which is really silly and unnecessary. First of all, we're a team still on the way up, not down. Also, we know who we are and what we're going to struggle with. It's not breaking news that we have trouble scoring. I'd love to be able to s*** out a star caliber point guard, but for right now this is what we have.

Yeah its pretty funny, the overreactions :lol:

This team is who I've thought they are, they need more shooting and a real PG. Having both Harris & Houstan out hurt us and have allowed teams to run zone against us

Add that with the lack of hustle and energy from our team, and a loss is very unsurprising
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,722

Post#723 » by basketballRob » Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:50 am

ChosenSavior wrote:Coach has a bit of a problem on his hands which sucks seeing that it is this late in the season. What do you honestly do with Markelle Fultz? He has not played well enough to be a rotation player. His tenure on the team is his saving grace for playing time.

I thought he should've been waived.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM mobile app
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,362

Post#724 » by Knightro » Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:51 am

eyriq wrote:Fultz played 16 minutes, scored 4 points on 2-5 shooting with 1 rebound, 0 assists, 1 turnover, 2 stocks and was -9

AB played 15 minutes, scored 6 points on 2-5 shooting with 1 rebound, 1 assists, 0 turnover, 0 stocks and was +9

I'm no Fultz fan, but he was also on the court with Paolo and Suggs (and to a lesser extent Franz) who were all awful.

Black was on the court with the reserves who all pretty much played well.
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,638

Post#725 » by SOUL » Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:52 am

FFBlitzace wrote:It seems like any time we lose, there has to be this sweeping reevaluation of the entire organization from the owners, to the players, to the towel boys. Which is really silly and unnecessary. First of all, we're a team still on the way up, not down. Also, we know who we are and what we're going to struggle with. It's not breaking news that we have trouble scoring. I'd love to be able to s*** out a star caliber point guard, but for right now this is what we have.

Yup.

Even the first quarter, we had WIDE open shots from guys who we should expect to hit open threes at an okay clip at the very least - Paolo, WCJ, Suggs.. they bricked all of them. Franz too. That's not "bad offense" if we can't hit what teams are WORKING to get on every play.

If teams are denying the inside, and you force it in there and bumble in some clunky running layup on two people, that is not "good offense" if it gets you two points and the other shots don't, it just means the finishing on that play was good. Ideally, the best play out of all of these options is to get the other team to mess up and let us get inside for an easy score, but when teams are loading up on the paint, you have to make open threes.. which THEN opens up the inside for this team to operate where they would like to most.
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,729

Post#726 » by thelead » Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:52 am

3ddman23 wrote:

Jett Howard...... start him at the 2 and live with what he gives u. But we know this organization works. That would never happen.

I'm beyond baffled that this hasn't happened. Other teams do it when their depth is injured (Jordan Hawkins is great example). We just refuse.
p0peye
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,002

Post#727 » by p0peye » Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:52 am

Knightro wrote:
eyriq wrote:Fultz played 16 minutes, scored 4 points on 2-5 shooting with 1 rebound, 0 assists, 1 turnover, 2 stocks and was -9

AB played 15 minutes, scored 6 points on 2-5 shooting with 1 rebound, 1 assists, 0 turnover, 0 stocks and was +9

I'm no Fultz fan, but he was also on the court with Paolo and Suggs (and to a lesser extent Franz) who were all awful.

I'm pretty sure eyriq is trolling with all that AB noise.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,980

Post#728 » by MagicMatic » Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:53 am

SOUL wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:Nah. I’ve already been warned recently.

No need to point out people sucking Mosely all season on sub .500 teams while the offense looks like ass most nights against real competition.

Then he has questionable lineups and everyone just wants to point to guys on rookie contracts playing poorly as the justification. Yeah no ****. This team isn’t comprised of vets. It’s a bunch of 2-3 year guys that everyone is hoping to be consistent.

You should be looking more at players that know better and Weltman actually filling out a roster. Fultz shouldn’t be on the floor, there is literally no point. Carter doesn’t fit. This was obvious more than halfway through Paolo’s rookie season.

Bro, the team is 11-0 since ASB with Gary Harris starting. Doesn't matter the competition because we've lost to **** teams the past few years. With him hurt, all these lineups look wonky again.

I can take your criticism of coaching more if you ever held any accountability on players at all on individual performances. If you do, I don't see it.

There's like a hivemind of posters that go "Anthony Black.. Jett Howard... Goga Bitadze... 9 game win streak... only lineup that work. Me want Green Goblins..." ... it's like talking to zombies sometimes which is why I get frustrated.

Fultz IS cooked. But let's say Fultz was COMPLETELY at fault for the bad start, as in he was directly responsible for every basket the other team had and every bad possession from us (which he wasn't).. we can STILL win with other guys. And we didn't.

The guys just didn't have it. Bad free throws, bad open shooting, bad play down the stretch.

Sometimes a lot of people just don't have it that particular night. It is what it is. I'm not someone who has to ALWAYS blame a particular player/coach/whoever after a loss, because it's always a mixed bag of reasons why something doesn't work.

I don't know if it's a personality trait thing or "agenda" or you just truly believe in heart of hearts that every loss or run is on one coach and on nobody else, but I just will never think like that. Never have, never will.

Here’s the thing SOUL. Even on GOOD nights it’s evident there is NO offense being run. Yeah, when they win nobody cares. Everyone pats each other on the back and says good game.

When they come out and do whatever the fck they want that’s when it annoys the **** out of me.

Drawing up offense isn’t “give Paolo the ball and hope he gets fouled” OR “figure it out in iso Franz” regardless of what the defense is giving you.. yeah that isn’t offense. Carter taking a 3 at the top of the key in the beginning of the shot clock isn’t a good possession. Throwing a mid court lob into traffic isn’t either. You get the point. None of this is well run offense.

The move was to start Cole tonight. Why? Because it makes sense. Why would you not play your best available lineup due to injury? Because you like the idea that Cole is magically better off the bench when you lack other options? Fultz hasn’t started since the season began.

So yeah. I’ll put blame on the starters for not being ready and hitting shots. But you can’t have it both ways with in game coaching. It either matters to you or it doesn’t. You play this game like Mosely deserves the world because he got guys to buy in which is cool. But is he actually a good coach in games? Or does that not matter unless someone says something?
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,265

Post#729 » by eyriq » Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:53 am

Knightro wrote:

The point is that AB is at worst as impactful and has a way higher ceiling. Five field goal attempts, two three-point attempts and three free throws. His shot profile and ability to draw contact is really promising.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,265

Post#730 » by eyriq » Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:55 am

p0peye wrote:
Knightro wrote:

If at any point I was ever trolling about AB I've since convinced myself that he's the truth. Honestly, I was high on him in the draft process and he's only confirmed his scout.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,362

Post#731 » by Knightro » Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:59 am

eyriq wrote:If at any point I was ever trolling about AB I've since convinced myself that he's the truth. Honestly, I was high on him in the draft process and he's only confirmed his scout.

He hasn't really, but you do you :lol:
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#732 » by basketballRob » Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:01 am

We're 1-5 against 500 teams in our last 6. I think 4 of them were at home. We've also played awful in most of our wins over tanking teams.

PrimeThyme
RealGM
And1: 14,380

Post#733 » by PrimeThyme » Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:02 am

Knightro wrote:So does the roster suck or does Mosley suck?

I think Mosley has proven himself to be a good developmental coach. However, we are now moving into the next stage of a coach's development, and we will see if he is the coach to take a young team like ours to the next level.

It's too early for me to tell if he is or not yet. There are definitely games against better, more experienced coaches where I still have my doubts. It's also tough to make too many judgments as our best players lack so much experience in these games.

I wasn't opposed to the extension. It's an acceptable bet for us to make. However, Mosley has served his initial purpose of ushering us to the brink of the playoffs. It's this next step that separates the great coaches from the specialized ones. I don't see how anyone can make the case he has proven he can or not yet.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,830

Post#734 » by RookieStar » Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:03 am

Knightro wrote:
eyriq wrote:If at any point I was ever trolling about AB I've since convinced myself that he's the truth. Honestly, I was high on him in the draft process and he's only confirmed his scout.

He hasn't really, but you do you :lol:

How could you say that SOUL? He , like me, was perfectly correct with our seats in the Keyonte train! Of course he ia right as well... ( esp regarding tk Fultz comparison )
3ddman23
General Manager
And1: 2,615

Post#735 » by 3ddman23 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:03 am

thelead wrote:
3ddman23 wrote:

Jett Howard...... start him at the 2 and live with what he gives u. But we know this organization works. That would never happen.

I'm beyond baffled that this hasn't happened. Other teams do it when they're depth is injured (Jordan Hawkins is great example). We just refuse.

Exactly, you can go down the list and it happens all over the league. We have a 6'7 sg/sf sniper(supposedly) who you drafted 11 overall just sitting there waiting to be played at a position of need but nope.

Hell we even did with ab, when fultz was Injured he stepped up and played. Why doesn't Jett get that same opportunity? It's just odd.

I personally feel like they drafted Jett becasue he was ok to spend the whole season in the g league knowing he wouldn't touch the floor all season and that's why they drafted him at 11 instead of him going like 17-23 where he was mocked. Like a red shirt season( like okeke but without the injury).
GO MAGIC
ogmagicfan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,654

Post#736 » by ogmagicfan » Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:04 am

I don't understand all the uproar, our team just didnt want this win. The effort was **** all night and we badly missed so many good looks.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,830

Post#737 » by RookieStar » Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:04 am

How do we get back the Magic that we had when we won 9 straight???
byeganyo
Junior
And1: 114

Post#738 » by byeganyo » Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:04 am

eyriq wrote:
p0peye wrote:
Knightro wrote:

If at any point I was ever trolling about AB I've since convinced myself that he's the truth. Honestly, I was high on him in the draft process and he's only confirmed his scout.

right now you are pimping him in a game in which he has scored 6 pts...
This month he is delivering 3 pts in 12 minutes on 39/46/17 shooting... talk about weird splits... he is 2-9 from the ft line in March. Maybe it's not drawing contact as much as opponents are not afraid to foul him...
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#739 » by basketballRob » Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:06 am

byeganyo wrote:
eyriq wrote:
p0peye wrote:

right now you are pimping him in a game in which he has scored 6 pts...
This month he is delivering 3 pts in 12 minutes on 39/46/17 shooting... talk about weird splits... he is 2-9 from the ft line in March. Maybe it's not drawing contact as much as opponents are not afraid to foul him...
46/39/61 on the season. I think he'll be a better FT shooter eventually. He shot over 70% on almost 200 attempts in college.

SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,638

Post#740 » by SOUL » Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:06 am

MagicMatic wrote:.

Right, but Cole was also someone half this forum wanted cut or traded when his slump lasted two months, so obviously looking back after this huge game, it seems like an obvious choice, but if he starts getting hunted and switched on and we start off slow, then the discussion turns to "Why didn't we start AB?" and if he sucked, "Why don't we just throw Jett out there?" - it truly never ends. It means NOBODY knows what can work because nothing is really working.

What do you think is our ceiling on offense for a flawed offensive team? Because post-ASB our stats have actually had us as a solid offensive team. Nothing amazing, but basically feeling like we're almost maxing out (with Harris healthy) considering how streaky our shooting is and having no real point guard.

Let me write that again, streaky shooters and no real point guard. I don't think people know how much the lack of those two things can hamstring any team offensively.

Coaches aren't really re-inventing the wheel. Everybody steals ****. It's based on personnel. We're not running plays for Houstan like Ross because he can't hit contested pull up shots and for his size, he's not actually that quick. Gary Harris has a slow shooting motion and has never been a volume three point guy. Ingles has a weird shooting motion as well where he can't shoot unless wide open.

Those are our BEST shooters outside of Suggs.

When we can't make people pay from Paolo kicking out from being doubled, and Franz is pump faking open threes, and we're airballing open corner threes and they're packing the paint, and we're missing easy layups and putbacks.. I truly wouldn't know what sort of possession we'd want other than some of these.

Obviously when we go iso heavy, it gets ugly.. but it usually happens because of us already struggling and they want to do home run stuff.

Return to Orlando Magic