ImageImageImageImage

Official Summer 2024 Magic Free Agency and Trade Ideas Thread 4.0

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,638

Re: Official Summer 2024 Magic Free Agency and Trade Ideas Thread 4.0 

Post#61 » by SOUL » Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:19 pm

yoyojw17 wrote:Not sure if Joe will be back. I think room will be made for other players.... or he does return and will hit the 3rd string and be ready to just help the team grow from the shadows.

But I agree with you... this will not be the biggest and flashiest of off-seasons and I am going to be fine with that too. We have to re-up on a lot of these players soon... and having that available wiggle room will be important if they already love where we are going.

And also agreed. I don't think Jetts defense is as bad as it is assumed. From what I understood.... defense was more of his skill coming into college... and in college offense was just his main focus. Injuries played a part in his lone season.... but I believe he has the potential to play effective to great on both sides of the court.

I see goga returning as well. If you like what Claxton does.... you should also respect goga as well.... and this was just his first true season to be given a chance to impact the team. He gives a different dimension compared to Dell and Moe..... and I think there is still more to uncover. At some point one of them might have to go.... but theres no rush now before all these rookie contracts go up.

And AB.... in my opinion..... is taking a different Suggs type route. Unlike Suggs "he sucked" cuz he tried to do too much while getting accustomed to the league... AB has "sucked" because he has shown too little as he gets used to the league. Wouldn't be surprised that people will be singing a different tune even by year 2

I disagree, only because it's simply a numbers game. You're not going to have all of these guys blossoming and showing their full potential at once. It's unfortunate but it's how most teams operate and the most common path.

Paolo is the top dog, and Franz is settling in as a #2. We'll see if Paolo can be a superstar level #1 and if Franz will be a #2 or a #3 ultimately, but they will be given at least another two seasons to find that out (mostly Franz), while Suggs finds his Smart role here.

Goga is a UFA and isn't going to hang around to see if "one of them might go". Bruce Brown left a championship Denver team for more money and similar opportunity, Goga ain't staying unless he's CLEARLY in the plans as soon as next year. Teams will pay him.

Speaking of the bigs, Isaac will probably be a priority if he can end the season healthy and have a future with him either as our starting center or getting at least 25 minutes off of the bench. WCJ is in a weird position but a good contract, while Moe's brother is here and give us a dimension off of the bench that no other big can do, even if his defense is bad.

So that's at least 6 positions of guys with playing time (Suggs, Isaac, Franz, Paolo, Moe, WCJ or Goga). Cole's contract means he's probably staying and he fits the 6th man role, but he can be traded too.

So that's 7 rotation guys out of 10. 9 out of 10 with Jett and AB. If you're not bringing back Fultz and Harris and you're replacing them with Black and Jett, it means we're bringing back the same team again with the same issues. I don't think that is a likely scenario either.

This team is going to need to make some decisions over the next year or two which why I'm ultimately fine with them being patient this year and previous years, but you can see the dilemma here.

We're ahead of schedule, which means we're going to start moving at the rate of which Paolo/Franz/Suggs/Isaac/etc take us, not waiting for AB and Jett to get up to speed to maybe become replacement level guys.

And that means probably hunting a free agent or two to fill needs - or finding someone in a trade... which again, means that there is a battle for those 9-10 spots of playing time. I think one of AB or Jett is more likely to be trade bait than get consistent minutes moving forward on this team depending on the players available, the same way Jaime Jaquez or Herro were being rumored for the Heat wanting Lillard.

Also, guys needing to re-up is exactly why you want to find guys this offseason if possible or before the big contracts come. Sign free agents and then you can extend guys, not the other way around. That's where you create a situation like the Suns having to fill their roster with 3rd stringers.
OrlChamps2030
General Manager
And1: 4,160

Post#62 » by OrlChamps2030 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:28 pm

cedric76 wrote:30 wins - 16 losses when Gary Harris is playing

Front office know the kind of player we need to win next to p5-franz and suggs

Jett s defense is underated, he is not a poor Defender, can he get better? Of course

Easy summer - pick up option on Joe and Moe
Offer a 1+1 to Gary
Try to offer goga a 1+1

Suggs -AB - Cole
Jett - Harris
Franz -houstan -joe
Paolo-ji-moe
Wcj-ji -moe

Sign a G in free agency
Draft PBA (likely a f/c)

Jett as a starter :lol:

Rob Hennigan isn’t walking through that door bro
JoshuaPotter
Starter
And1: 681

Post#63 » by JoshuaPotter » Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:44 pm

SOUL wrote:
yoyojw17 wrote:Not sure if Joe will be back. I think room will be made for other players.... or he does return and will hit the 3rd string and be ready to just help the team grow from the shadows.

But I agree with you... this will not be the biggest and flashiest of off-seasons and I am going to be fine with that too. We have to re-up on a lot of these players soon... and having that available wiggle room will be important if they already love where we are going.

And also agreed. I don't think Jetts defense is as bad as it is assumed. From what I understood.... defense was more of his skill coming into college... and in college offense was just his main focus. Injuries played a part in his lone season.... but I believe he has the potential to play effective to great on both sides of the court.

I see goga returning as well. If you like what Claxton does.... you should also respect goga as well.... and this was just his first true season to be given a chance to impact the team. He gives a different dimension compared to Dell and Moe..... and I think there is still more to uncover. At some point one of them might have to go.... but theres no rush now before all these rookie contracts go up.

And AB.... in my opinion..... is taking a different Suggs type route. Unlike Suggs "he sucked" cuz he tried to do too much while getting accustomed to the league... AB has "sucked" because he has shown too little as he gets used to the league. Wouldn't be surprised that people will be singing a different tune even by year 2

I disagree, only because it's simply a numbers game. You're not going to have all of these guys blossoming and showing their full potential at once. It's unfortunate but it's how most teams operate and the most common path.

Paolo is the top dog, and Franz is settling in as a #2. We'll see if Paolo can be a superstar level #1 and if Franz will be a #2 or a #3 ultimately, but they will be given at least another two seasons to find that out (mostly Franz), while Suggs finds his Smart role here.

Goga is a UFA and isn't going to hang around to see if "one of them might go". Bruce Brown left a championship Denver team for more money and similar opportunity, Goga ain't staying unless he's CLEARLY in the plans as soon as next year. Teams will pay him.

Speaking of the bigs, Isaac will probably be a priority if he can end the season healthy and have a future with him either as our starting center or getting at least 25 minutes off of the bench. WCJ is in a weird position but a good contract, while Moe's brother is here and give us a dimension off of the bench that no other big can do, even if his defense is bad.

So that's at least 6 positions of guys with playing time (Suggs, Isaac, Franz, Paolo, Moe, WCJ or Goga). Cole's contract means he's probably staying and he fits the 6th man role, but he can be traded too.

So that's 7 rotation guys out of 10. 9 out of 10 with Jett and AB. If you're not bringing back Fultz and Harris and you're replacing them with Black and Jett, it means we're bringing back the same team again with the same issues. I don't think that is a likely scenario either.

This team is going to need to make some decisions over the next year or two which why I'm ultimately fine with them being patient this year and previous years, but you can see the dilemma here.

We're ahead of schedule, which means we're going to start moving at the rate of which Paolo/Franz/Suggs/Isaac/etc take us, not waiting for AB and Jett to get up to speed to maybe become replacement level guys.

And that means probably hunting a free agent or two to fill needs - or finding someone in a trade... which again, means that there is a battle for those 9-10 spots of playing time. I think one of AB or Jett is more likely to be trade bait than get consistent minutes moving forward on this team depending on the players available, the same way Jaime Jaquez or Herro were being rumored for the Heat wanting Lillard.

Also, guys needing to re-up is exactly why you want to find guys this offseason if possible or before the big contracts come. Sign free agents and then you can extend guys, not the other way around. That's where you create a situation like the Suns having to fill their roster with 3rd stringers.

Honest question Soul. Nobody seems to know or ignores talking about it for some reason.

Many posters here seem to think that we need to spend money now since well have cap space.

But do we "know" what the future cap spaces are going to be? Ergo, do we know or have a better picture of what our lux tax will be if we find ourselves in a position of overspending?

This is a legit concern I see. The "we have money now spend it" crowd doesn't seem to be considering future cap limit, and the lux tax thresholds. I am considering it verbally even though I have no idea how that works in the modern NBA.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,268

Post#64 » by eyriq » Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:27 pm

Is JI the ultimate sell high candidate?
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,160

Post#65 » by zaymon » Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:33 pm

eyriq wrote:Is JI the ultimate sell high candidate?

He is the ultimate dont sell low candidate. We need a player who can rebound, protect the rim and hit from distance next to Paolo and Franz... sounds familiar.
I was against trading him when everybody wanted him gone and i will be against it right now when my most likely scenario realized. We have no other plan for our frontcourt right now than bet on his health.... it sounds bad i know but thats reality.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#66 » by eyriq » Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:37 pm

zaymon wrote:

He is the ultimate dont sell low candidate. We need a player who can rebound, protect the rim and hit from distance next to Paolo and Franz... sounds familiar.
I was against trading him when everybody wanted him gone and i will be against it right now when my most likely scenario realized. We have no other plan for our frontcourt right now than bet on his health.... it sounds bad i know but thats reality.
How does one measure injury risk?
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,454

Post#67 » by Bensational » Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:43 pm

zaymon wrote:

It’s also incredibly hard to replace him with someone of his caliber. He’s a bit of a “bonus star” for us, where if he plays we get a DPOTY and we can really go toe-to-toe with anyone, but whether he will play seems to be a constant question.

We’d have to luck into finding a proper JI replacement I think. Either through the draft, or by picking up a random Ben Wallace-like journeyman who breaks out in his mid 20’s.
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,190

Post#68 » by cedric76 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:48 am

yoyojw17 wrote:

Jett s defense is underated, he is not a poor Defender, can he get better? Of course

Offer a 1+1 to Gary
Try to offer goga a 1+1

Suggs -AB - Cole
Jett - Harris
Franz -houstan -joe
Paolo-ji-moe
Wcj-ji -moe

Sign a G in free agency
Draft PBA (likely a f/c)

Not sure if Joe will be back. I think room will be made for other players.... or he does return and will hit the 3rd string and be ready to just help the team grow from the shadows.

I think Joe will be a player coach ala Haslem, no much PT but huge impact on team
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go
Offer Harris and goga a 1+1 deal

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic

Suggs, AB, Carter
Monk, Jett, Harris
Franz, Jett, Houstan
Paolo, Moe, (Cole trade)
Wcj, JI, goga
cedric76
RealGM

Post#69 » by cedric76 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:51 am

OrlChamps2030 wrote:

Offer a 1+1 to Gary
Try to offer goga a 1+1

Suggs -AB - Cole
Jett - Harris
Franz -houstan -joe
Paolo-ji-moe
Wcj-ji -moe

Sign a G in free agency
Draft PBA (likely a f/c)

Jett as a starter :lol:

Rob Hennigan isn’t walking through that door bro

Who Said he was a starter?

Didn't u see, sign a G in free agency?
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic

Suggs, AB, Carter
Monk, Jett, Harris
Franz, Jett, Houstan
Paolo, Moe, (Cole trade)
Wcj, JI, goga
zaymon
Lead Assistant

Post#70 » by zaymon » Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:25 am

Bensational wrote:
zaymon wrote:

It’s also incredibly hard to replace him with someone of his caliber. He’s a bit of a “bonus star” for us, where if he plays we get a DPOTY and we can really go toe-to-toe with anyone, but whether he will play seems to be a constant question.

We’d have to luck into finding a proper JI replacement I think. Either through the draft, or by picking up a random Ben Wallace-like journeyman who breaks out in his mid 20’s.

Real question is how propable it is to get someone like him but healthier from assets we get from trading him. I think the chance is close to zero. Even if we trade him in a package for star guard we will still need rim protector just like him to win
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 10,018

Post#71 » by KillMonger » Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:05 am

Need a steady hand at PG....Tyus Jones may not be the sexy name but it does seem like the kind of move we would make....DJ Augstin 2.0....He's going to stay in his lane, hit open 3's and he's not going to turn the ball over.....knows how to run the show and can play off ball and be a solid kick out option when paolo and franz has the ball....I think everyone will agree we got to do something at Center....I think Hartenstein should be the guy we target, he's unrestricted i believe and i'm not sure what the knicks will do because they have Mitchell as well....Bringing those guys in would be nothing splashy, which is exactly us in a nutshell...we usually don't do the big splash moves
zaymon
Lead Assistant

Post#72 » by zaymon » Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:18 am

KillMonger wrote:Need a steady hand at PG....Tyus Jones may not be the sexy name but it does seem like the kind of move we would make....DJ Augstin 2.0....He's going to stay in his lane, hit open 3's and he's not going to turn the ball over.....knows how to run the show and can play off ball and be a solid kick out option when paolo and franz has the ball....I think everyone will agree we got to do something at Center....I think Hartenstein should be the guy we target, he's unrestricted i believe and i'm not sure what the knicks will do because they have Mitchell as well....Bringing those guys in would be nothing splashy, which is exactly us in a nutshell...we usually don't do the big splash moves

We dont have ball handler who can make good decisions under pressure. Closest one is Ingles but he is propably done after the season.
Is a low hanging fruit and front office did great job with accumulating assets so i am quite certain we will fix it this offseason. Options are many.
I would love to bring Hartenstein, but at what price ? I am not sure if he would finish over JI, maybe in some jumbo lineups.
I would also like too see some consolidation trade becouse i dont see how we can finish games with both Suggs and Black at the same time although i am curious about Jett Howard next season.
I Rasharted
Sixth Man
And1: 838

Post#73 » by I Rasharted » Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:36 am

Knightro wrote:This has been a very successful season. But I maintain what I’ve been saying for a while now that the Magic very obviously need significant personnel changes (at least 3 rotation upgrades and potentially 4+) to take the significant next step forward.

I've been assuming all season that next year's Magic team will look vastly different from this one. Time has come to make some moves.
basketballRob wrote:Another good benefit about eating plants is that the artery going to your penis gets unclogged and starts flowing real good.
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 10,018

Post#74 » by KillMonger » Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:05 pm

zaymon wrote:
KillMonger wrote:Need a steady hand at PG....Tyus Jones may not be the sexy name but it does seem like the kind of move we would make....DJ Augstin 2.0....He's going to stay in his lane, hit open 3's and he's not going to turn the ball over.....knows how to run the show and can play off ball and be a solid kick out option when paolo and franz has the ball....I think everyone will agree we got to do something at Center....I think Hartenstein should be the guy we target, he's unrestricted i believe and i'm not sure what the knicks will do because they have Mitchell as well....Bringing those guys in would be nothing splashy, which is exactly us in a nutshell...we usually don't do the big splash moves

We dont have ball handler who can make good decisions under pressure. Closest one is Ingles but he is propably done after the season.
Is a low hanging fruit and front office did great job with accumulating assets so i am quite certain we will fix it this offseason. Options are many.
I would love to bring Hartenstein, but at what price ? I am not sure if he would finish over JI, maybe in some jumbo lineups.
I would also like too see some consolidation trade becouse i dont see how we can finish games with both Suggs and Black at the same time although i am curious about Jett Howard next season.

I don't ever think JI is going to be off minutes restriction, we need a center that can impact the game and i remember seeing hartenstein being rated high defensively
RichCollab
Starter
And1: 663

Post#75 » by RichCollab » Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:48 pm

Why live in would’ve could’ve should’ve based on speculation?

Ever put a house on the market at a very attractive price to get multiple offers? We have no clue what happened behind the scenes.

Imagine if Tim Duncan came? Imagine if Shaq stayed? Imagine Grant Hill recovered?

This front office gets an A for where we are and what previous FOs left them.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#76 » by eyriq » Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:11 pm

The off-season plan is pretty straight forward:

Starting guard <- WCJ + Cole trade
Back-up guard <- AB
Starting center <- Pre-extension cap space (Fultz, Harris, and Okeke are gone)
Backup forward <- Jett

Rotation
Point guard: Smart
Combo guard: AB
Shooting guard: Suggs
Swingman: Jett
Small forward: Franz
Combo forward: Isaac
Power forward: Paolo
Combo big: Moritz
Quick center: Claxton
Power center: Goga

First unit
Smart/Suggs/Franz/Paolo/Claxton

Second unit
AB/Jett/Isaac/Moritz/Goga
zaymon
Lead Assistant

Post#77 » by zaymon » Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:27 pm

eyriq wrote:The off-season plan is pretty straight forward:

Back-up guard <- AB
Backup forward <- Jett

Rotation

First unit

Second unit

Smart as if smart trade or Marcus Smart ? If first than great, if second than not great. We dont need Suggs nastier brother next to him. Holiday is the worst shot creator next to Jalen i can accept.

Holiday/Suggs/Wagner/Banchero/Hartenstein
Black/Harris/Howard/Isaac/Wagner
p0peye
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,002

Post#78 » by p0peye » Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:29 pm

Though, but very, very good question.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#79 » by eyriq » Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:38 pm

zaymon wrote:

Back-up guard <- AB
Backup forward <- Jett

Rotation

First unit

Second unit

Smart as if smart trade or Marcus Smart ? If first than great, if second than not great. We dont need Suggs nastier brother next to him. Holiday is the worst shot creator next to Jalen i can accept.

Yeah I was thinking Marcus Smart.
cedric76
RealGM

Post#80 » by cedric76 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:38 pm

zaymon wrote:

Back-up guard <- AB
Backup forward <- Jett

Rotation

First unit

Second unit

Not sexy and not winning formula
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic

Suggs, AB, Carter
Monk, Jett, Harris