ImageImageImageImage

Official Summer 2024 Magic Free Agency and Trade Ideas Thread 4.0

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,324

Re: Official Summer 2024 Magic Free Agency and Trade Ideas Thread 4.0 

Post#501 » by eyriq » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:43 pm

We need the Warriors to lose
mattdelray1220
Sophomore
And1: 87

Post#502 » by mattdelray1220 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:44 pm

[img][list=][/list][/img]
MartinsIzAfraud wrote:
mattdelray1220 wrote:Weltman saying he wants to be a destination that disgruntled superstars ask to go to... Did not expect that.

He is thinking Trae, Mikal, Mitchell, Simons who else?

where did he say this?

He did not mention players that was my speculation. He talked at the end about Free Agency and making Orlando a destination for players looking to leave their current team. He believes we are getting there.

https://965thespear.iheart.com/featured/open-mike/content/2024-04-16-magic-president-jeff-weltman-no-validation-for-proving-doubters-wrong/
T-Cat
Sixth Man
And1: 428

Post#503 » by T-Cat » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:35 pm

Read on Twitter
Jiwol
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,296

Post#504 » by Jiwol » Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:30 pm

mattdelray1220 wrote:[img][list=][/list][/img]
MartinsIzAfraud wrote:
mattdelray1220 wrote:Weltman saying he wants to be a destination that disgruntled superstars ask to go to... Did not expect that.

He is thinking Trae, Mikal, Mitchell, Simons who else?

where did he say this?

He did not mention players that was my speculation. He talked at the end about Free Agency and making Orlando a destination for players looking to leave their current team. He believes we are getting there.

https://965thespear.iheart.com/featured/open-mike/content/2024-04-16-magic-president-jeff-weltman-no-validation-for-proving-doubters-wrong/

Yeah but he also said he has no problems with doubling down on the guys already on the team. Markelle Fultz will be back, let's celebrate!
JoshuaPotter
Starter
And1: 689

Post#505 » by JoshuaPotter » Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:32 pm

eyriq wrote:We need the Warriors to lose

Why?
JoshuaPotter
Starter

Post#506 » by JoshuaPotter » Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:34 pm

T-Cat wrote:
Read on Twitter

What is this? Did he just gamble and say he has no problem gambling again?

I get it, sometimes you play the hands you are dealt, and doing that you end up winning big. But asking for lightning to strike 2x with the same core is a bit much from this group.

Black or Howard would need to have a Franz level year 2 jump. I do not see that happening.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#507 » by eyriq » Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:37 pm

JoshuaPotter wrote:

Why?
So they blow it up. I want Klay.
JoshuaPotter
Starter

Post#508 » by JoshuaPotter » Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:47 pm

eyriq wrote:
JoshuaPotter wrote:

Why?

I'm not sure they will without an official goodbye tour.

Although Klay may want to get paid before a goodbye tour....

I'm not sure how I feel about paying Klay.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,946

Post#509 » by drsd » Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:05 pm

cedric76 wrote:I really hope LAC get swept by Dallas, this would Force pg13 to look at better options.

I love the robots. After Jimmy Butler and Kawhi Leonard, Goerge is robot-lite. He would be an outstanding addition to this roster. And as I stated recently, at the beginning of his career, he did play SG. So: if the Magic could get him; yes the Magic must get him.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,652

Post#510 » by Skybox » Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:10 pm

AaronB wrote:
Skybox wrote:
drsd wrote:
Simons would be the #3 scoring option on the Magic. As to his defense, this is were Coach Mosley's system makes Simons a better player. Defense is a learnable skill (to "average team defender"). Scoring is not.

This!
He might be 4th or 5th “best player” on ORL, but likely 2nd leading scorer. He could go for 40 when defenses collapse but not be the primary offensive option. The offensive skillset is SO blindingly complementary to Paolo, Franz, Suggs, and Isaac (no one else matters). I could still envision AB closing games after Simons’ scoring puts ORL ahead. He’s not a “star”, but he’s an elite scorer…nobody’s handing over the team to Simons (or Monk) but he’s an elite role player (like Isaac is)…I also think a young, long, freak athlete can respond to the contagious environment that Mose, Suggs, and Isaac create defensively.

Message to Skybox:

That 20-year-old supermodel (guy or gal) is not going to stop you on the street and tell you that you are just the person he/she is looking for and ask you out on a date.

Not...Going...To ...Happen

The odds of that happening are about the same as Simons waking up one day and saying: "I think I am going to start to play a little defense."

Another silky smooth one...you're on a roll. Go train your sister's dog...odds are you're better at that than these ludicrous posts :noway:
T-Cat
Sixth Man
And1: 428

Post#511 » by T-Cat » Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:33 pm

JoshuaPotter wrote:
T-Cat wrote:
Read on Twitter

What is this? Did he just gamble and say he has no problem gambling again?

I get it, sometimes you play the hands you are dealt, and doing that you end up winning big. But asking for lightning to strike 2x with the same core is a bit much from this group.

Black or Howard would need to have a Franz level year 2 jump. I do not see that happening.

That's a possible scenario depending on the asking price of certain trades and or free agency that may be a bit pricey.

Weltman is saying this to keep fans engaged by saying management will be proactive in improving the roster.

Why don't we ever hear Anthony Parker our new GM speak instead of Weltman?
RichCollab
Starter
And1: 669

Post#512 » by RichCollab » Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:34 pm

Skybox wrote:
AaronB wrote:
Skybox wrote:
This!
He might be 4th or 5th “best player” on ORL, but likely 2nd leading scorer. He could go for 40 when defenses collapse but not be the primary offensive option. The offensive skillset is SO blindingly complementary to Paolo, Franz, Suggs, and Isaac (no one else matters). I could still envision AB closing games after Simons’ scoring puts ORL ahead. He’s not a “star”, but he’s an elite scorer…nobody’s handing over the team to Simons (or Monk) but he’s an elite role player (like Isaac is)…I also think a young, long, freak athlete can respond to the contagious environment that Mose, Suggs, and Isaac create defensively.

Message to Skybox:

That 20-year-old supermodel (guy or gal) is not going to stop you on the street and tell you that you are just the person he/she is looking for and ask you out on a date.

Not...Going...To ...Happen

The odds of that happening are about the same as Simons waking up one day and saying: "I think I am going to start to play a little defense."

Another silky smooth one...you're on a roll. Go train your sister's dog...odds are you're better at that than these ludicrous posts :noway:

Hello pot, meet kettle.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,604

Post#513 » by BadMofoPimp » Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:36 pm

eyriq wrote:
JoshuaPotter wrote:

Why?

I NEVER want to pay a 34 year old declining player big money constraining the cap. No chance in hell the Magic make that mistake again with this young team.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#514 » by eyriq » Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:50 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:
eyriq wrote:
JoshuaPotter wrote:
Why?

I NEVER want to pay a 34 year old declining player big money constraining the cap. No chance in hell the Magic make that mistake again with this young team.
It won't really constrain our cap, at least in terms of future roster flexibility. The pre-extension cap space is a use it or lose it asset. We can extend our rookies regardless of if we use it or not, and those extensions will eat up our cap. Also, if we do use it, that's our Rashard Lewis or Horace Grant. If we don't use it we don't get a Rashard Lewis or Horace Grant.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,746

Post#515 » by basketballRob » Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:50 pm

Klay is going to want us to not re-sign Harris, Goga, and Ingles to give him a big payday. He already turned down $25m from the Warriors.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM Forums mobile app
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#516 » by eyriq » Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:51 pm

basketballRob wrote:Klay is going to want us to not re-sign Harris, Goga, and Ingles to give him a big payday. He already turned down $25m from the Warriors.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM Forums mobile app
Fine with me
RichCollab
Starter
And1: 669

Post#517 » by RichCollab » Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:22 pm

I don’t see us spending 25 million a year on any free agent.

18 to 20 million seems closer to our limit. If we go after a player more than that, we would include players like WCJ and Cole.

Paolo
Franz
Suggs

And likely JI will be the players we spend our money on. If JI can build on this year and play more next year he isn’t going to be cheap.

We aren’t ever going to be an apron team being in a small market and having the ownership team we have.

2 year rental doesn’t make any sense for a team making their 1st playoff series.
byeganyo
Junior
And1: 115

Post#518 » by byeganyo » Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:47 pm

Plenty of west teams may blow it or at least retool it if they lose in the first round/play in. This summer we should see lot of activity.
DiplomaticMagic
Head Coach
And1: 2,552

Post#519 » by DiplomaticMagic » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:25 am

How can you watch tonights game and want Klay???

If its 1 year deal, fine whatever but anything else would be a disaster.
STOP PLAYING FULTZ
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,714

Post#520 » by SOUL » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:39 am

DiplomaticMagic wrote:How can you watch tonights game and want Klay???

If its 1 year deal, fine whatever but anything else would be a disaster.

Because not wanting certain players because of one game is silly. Same with not wanting to draft a player because of a bad NCAA tournament game.

It's only bad if you are throwing tons of guaranteed money and years to someone clearly past their prime like Klay - which is possible, but I'd like to think they'd prefer an overpay with only a two year thing with options (maybe).

Two months before this was 50/43/100 and 44/40/90 on 10 and 9 threes a game. Of course we could use that.. just gotta be careful with the years.

Return to Orlando Magic