ImageImageImageImage

Official Summer 2024 Magic Free Agency and Trade Ideas Thread 4.0

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,306

Re: Official Summer 2024 Magic Free Agency and Trade Ideas Thread 4.0 

Post#381 » by eyriq » Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:56 pm

RichCollab wrote:Gary Harris will play 54 games this season. I would be ok keeping him if he played 70 games. It’s time. Fultz played 43. It’s honestly past time to move on from him and I love the guy.

Cole played 80 and brings offense. Cole can be the most annoying player sometimes but he really isn’t a concern when we have Harris and Fultz on the roster.

Can Harris take a close to vet minimum contract and be an occasional rotation player. Possibly but we do need to address health.

JI is a special player so I’m fine keeping him around and see. 58 game season is showing improvement for him.
Yup. Instead of between-season continuity we need within-season continuity.

Anyway, there is a pretty clear checklist for upgrades to make this off-season.
RichCollab
Starter
And1: 667

Post#382 » by RichCollab » Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:16 pm

RookieStar wrote:
Knightro wrote:
RookieStar wrote:
Ah got it... then again, shooting at his rate and make is exactly what we need. Also he does make the effort to defend well ao def an upgrade of Gary

I don't think there's a *massive* difference between what Gary did last year (.431 3PT% on 4.5 3PTA and decent defense in 25 MPG) and what Grayson is doing this year (.456 3PT% on 5.9 3PTA and below average defense in 33.5 MPG)

I am also weary that a team like Orlando would be paying a premium for Grayson's .456 3PT% when A. that's the best he's ever shot by a wide margin, and B. he's 2nd in the NBA in "wide open" (no defender within 6 feet) three point attempts due to the fact he basically shares the court with 3 attention drawing all-star players all the time.

His 3PT% this year feels more like an outlier than what his next team should expect every year moving forward.

Well we have 2 attention drawing upcoming stars to also make him be wide open.

But yeah.. maybe it is an outlier or maybe not..

Booker and Durant can shoot anywhere on the court. Paolo and Franz really need to attack the paint.

Allen isn’t going to get even close to as many open shots.
RichCollab
Starter
And1: 667

Post#383 » by RichCollab » Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:39 pm

What about KCP and Hield? Shouldn’t block Black and Jett in the future if they develop.
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,812

Post#384 » by thelead » Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:51 pm

RichCollab wrote:What about KCP and Hield? Shouldn’t block Black and Jett in the future if they develop.

KCP, yes! Hield, no. KCP is a very solid defender and is actually shooting better than Hield. KCP and IHart for me if the trade market is too expensive (i.e. teams demanding Paolo, Franz, Suggs, or JI).

Trade Cole and a pick for a player like Colin Sexton, and we’re much improved next year.

IHart/WCJ
Paolo/JI/Mo
Franz/Jett
KCP/AB
Suggs/Sexton

Nothing ‘sexy’ in that summer for the casuals but it is a big improvement IMO.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,642

Post#385 » by Skybox » Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:06 pm

Why would KCP leave DEN? Guys like him and Grayson and DLo will require ridiculous overpays. I like Monk, primarily because SAC is capped, so even if he loves it there - we have a shot. DLo might get cut loose because LAL (unlike Weltman) will be on the hunt for studs to help win rings- not necessarily bargains. So when they steal Dejounte for crap and picks (instead of us) DLo might take our 25m.

I like trade market for impactful players more than settling for mediocre players or overpaying for good ones. Assets are meant to be utilized - they have no value on a shelf and we are right on the cusp.
thelead
RealGM

Post#386 » by thelead » Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:19 pm

Skybox wrote:Why would KCP leave DEN? Guys like him and Grayson and DLo will require ridiculous overpays. I like Monk, primarily because SAC is capped, so even if he loves it there - we have a shot. DLo might get cut loose because LAL (unlike Weltman) will be on the hunt for studs to help win rings- not necessarily bargains. So when they steal Dejounte for crap and picks (instead of us) DLo might take our 25m.

I like trade market for impactful players more than settling for mediocre players or overpaying for good ones. Assets are meant to be utilized - they have no value on a shelf and we are right on the cusp.

That’s nice in theory but who’s your realistic home run target?

Unless an all-nba player asks out (and happens to be okay with Orlando as a destination), I don’t see your plan materializing. Sure, it would be nice but those are Hail Mary’s that you look into but most likely move on from because it just doesn’t materialize. I mean, sure, let’s offer Paolo, AB, and a ton of picks for Luka… we all know how that phone call goes.

If they made a move for someone like Trae without giving up Paolo, Franz, Suggs, or JI, sure let’s do it but you can’t really plan for that.

I hope we are aggressive but if a player that we would like doesn’t get moved to any team, that should tell you that the price was too high. Now, if we see a player we like (like Murray) get moved for a mediocre package that we could have outbid, then sure, we should all be livid.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,738

Post#387 » by basketballRob » Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:28 pm

Skybox wrote:Why would KCP leave DEN? Guys like him and Grayson and DLo will require ridiculous overpays. I like Monk, primarily because SAC is capped, so even if he loves it there - we have a shot. DLo might get cut loose because LAL (unlike Weltman) will be on the hunt for studs to help win rings- not necessarily bargains. So when they steal Dejounte for crap and picks (instead of us) DLo might take our 25m.

KCP's last contact was 2 years, $30m. If we offered around 3 years, $50m, that would be a huge payday for him. That's less than we're paying Fultz.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM Forums mobile app
Skybox
RealGM

Post#388 » by Skybox » Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:55 pm

basketballRob wrote:

KCP's last contact was 2 years, $30m. If we offered around 3 years, $50m, that would be a huge payday for him. That's less than we're paying Fultz.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM Forums mobile app

Don't use Fultz as a benchmark for what's a reasonable deal. That money was intended for a high-scoring Lead Guard and it went down the sewer.
Skybox
RealGM

Post#389 » by Skybox » Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:01 pm

thelead wrote:

That’s nice in theory but who’s your realistic home run target?

Unless an all-nba player asks out (and happens to be okay with Orlando as a destination), I don’t see your plan materializing. Sure, it would be nice but those are Hail Mary’s that you look into but most likely move on from because it just doesn’t materialize. I mean, sure, let’s offer Paolo, AB, and a ton of picks for Luka… we all know how that phone call goes.

If they made a move for someone like Trae without giving up Paolo, Franz, Suggs, or JI, sure let’s do it but you can’t really plan for that.

I hope we are aggressive but if a player that we would like doesn’t get moved to any team, that should tell you that the price was too high. Now, if we see a player we like (like Murray) get moved for a mediocre package that we could have outbid, then sure, we should all be livid.

there's a world of difference between home run/All-NBA and just an impactful guy capable of starting and putting up points. I've listed many times...

Murray, Simons, Herro, Brogdon, Monk, Mikal Bridges, Jaden Ivey, Coby White (if CHI embraces total teardown) all could, given team circumstances, be available for a price.

Lower tier alternatives to Grayson, KCP, Kennard overpays...Beasley, Gary Trent, did Fournier (on a vet min?) just forget how to shoot or circumstances?
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,406

Post#390 » by Knightro » Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:12 pm

KCP is not dramatically different from Harris to me.

Yes, he's better, but not so much better that it would justify potentially doubling or nearly doubling what Gary currently makes.

And like Grayson Allen, I am just weary of taking guys out incredible situations and plopping them into worse situations than they were just in and expecting them to be able to replicate what they did playing off a mega star or multiple stars.

KCP's been a 59% TS% the last two years as the clear 5th option in Denver. But right before that on a not very good Wizards team he was just a run of the mill 56% TS% guy.

I get that beggars can't always be choosers, but I'd only sign somebody like KCP or Allen for the exact right price. I would not want to pay the premium for what they did in a much more optimal situation.

I know what I'm saying could also apply to D'Angelo Russell, but that at least feels a little different because Russell has always been able to do a lot off the dribble which is, in a lot of cases, more independent of who else you have on the floor.
thelead
RealGM

Post#391 » by thelead » Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:16 pm

Cap is 141, if we cut Ingles, we’ll be at 93. So $48 mil in space? Do I have that correct?

That’s a little more than I thought we had so a IHart/DLo summer is possible if my numbers are correct.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#392 » by Knightro » Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:31 pm

thelead wrote:Cap is 141, if we cut Ingles, we’ll be at 93. So $48 mil in space? Do I have that correct?

That’s a little more than I thought we had so a IHart/DLo summer is possible if my numbers are correct.

Isaac 17.4 (non guaranteed)
Carter 11.95
Banchero 12.16
Mortiz 8.0
Suggs 9.18
Black 7.60
Anthony 12.90
Franz 7.0
Jett 5.27
Houstan 2.01 (non guaranteed)

93.47M on 10 guys.

Throw in a cap charge for the 2024 1st round pick which is currently 16th and would be approximately 4M. You're talking 97.47M roughly on 11 guys.

So...

Roughly 43.5M in cap space if they dump Ingles.

Roughly 32.5M in cap space if they keep Ingles.

They could open up even more if they dump Isaac (extremely unlikely), Moritz (very unlikely) or Houstan (probably not enough savings to justify it).

The Magic have to spend at least 90% of the 141 cap to reach the salary floor, which is approximately 127M.

So no matter what happens, the Magic will have to spend 29.5M if they don't retain Ingles and 18.5M if they do retain Ingles.
MartinsIzAfraud
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,119

Post#393 » by MartinsIzAfraud » Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:40 pm

Knightro wrote:
thelead wrote:Cap is 141, if we cut Ingles, we’ll be at 93. So $48 mil in space? Do I have that correct?

Isaac 17.4 (non guaranteed)
Carter 11.95
Banchero 12.16
Mortiz 8.0
Suggs 9.18
Black 7.60
Anthony 12.90
Franz 7.0
Jett 5.27
Houstan 2.01 (non guaranteed)

93.47M on 10 guys.

Throw in a cap charge for the 2024 1st round pick which is currently 16th and would be approximately 4M. You're talking 97.47M roughly on 11 guys.

So...

Roughly 43.5M in cap space if they dump Ingles.

Roughly 32.5M in cap space if they keep Ingles.

They could open up even more if they dump Isaac (extremely unlikely), Moritz (very unlikely) or Houstan (probably not enough savings to justify it).

The Magic have to spend at least 90% of the 141 cap to reach the salary floor, which is approximately 127M.

So no matter what happens, the Magic will have to spend 29.5M if they don't retain Ingles and 18.5M if they do retain Ingles.

Incoming Harris deal + 3rd C/F.
A scoring guard.. never heard of one. :roll:
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#394 » by Knightro » Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:41 pm

MartinsIzAfraud wrote:Incoming Harris deal + 3rd C/F.

Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#395 » by Knightro » Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:00 pm

Read on Twitter
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,196

Post#396 » by cedric76 » Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:04 pm

Because Denver can't afford to offer him a decent contract
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go
Offer Harris and goga a 1+1 deal

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic

Suggs, AB, Carter
Monk, Jett, Harris
Franz, Jett, Houstan
Paolo, Moe, (Cole trade)
Wcj, JI, goga
Skybox
RealGM

Post#397 » by Skybox » Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:10 pm

Knightro wrote:
Read on Twitter

Seduce Claxton...that's the final straw for BRK tank decision...offer, out of the goodness of our hearts, a SnT (like we did for Grant Hill, even though we had the cap space...include Mikal Bridges for the motherlode offer.
Skybox
RealGM

Post#398 » by Skybox » Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:11 pm

cedric76 wrote:

Because Denver can't afford to offer him a decent contract

Do you have any basis for that?

It's not like SAC situation with Monk...is it?
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,636

Post#399 » by Skin » Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:17 pm

JGK

Just Gimme Klay
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,306

Post#400 » by eyriq » Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:25 pm

Skin wrote:JGK

Just Gimme Klay
I think I'm here too, even over Claxton.

Return to Orlando Magic