ImageImageImageImage

Official Summer 2024 Magic Free Agency and Trade Ideas Thread 4.0

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,542

Re: Official Summer 2024 Magic Free Agency and Trade Ideas Thread 4.0 

Post#861 » by zzaj » Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:57 am

basketballRob wrote:I have a feeling Portland is thirsty for a defensive guard after being the 2nd worst defense in the league 3 out of the last 4 years.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM Forums mobile app

No, no, no. You have it all wrong. The Blazers have been bottom 2 defensively for what seems like the past 835437 seasons.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,317

Post#862 » by pepe1991 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:01 am

Murray playoff history:
23% usage rate, 51% TS.

Would he add anything to offense or just split usage with Banchero/Franz while team's efficiency would be kept in trash?
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
OrlandoNed
Head Coach
And1: 4,776

Post#863 » by OrlandoNed » Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:47 am

pepe1991 wrote:Murray playoff history:
23% usage rate, 51% TS.

Would he add anything to offense or just split usage with Banchero/Franz while team's efficiency would be kept in trash?

I don't think Murray would improve the offense aside from just being a guard who can run a basic offense.at minimum. I've seen many of his box scores are a lot of 8-19 from the floor with a few free throws. More misses than makes, average at best from 3. We need better than that. We need a scorer who can create and knock down his own shot anywhere on the court. This is the skillset we need at minimum, anything after that is just a bonus.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,667

Post#864 » by Skybox » Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:23 am

Viper1500 wrote:
zzaj wrote:On the Portland board we are trying to figure out how to make a Simons for Black swap. Any interest at all from Orlando fans?

I'd trade this years first + Denver first. Offensively he's great, but he is just so bad on the other end.

Is he as bad on defense as Black is negligible on offense?

I can't believe this comparison is being made...One is an established elite scorer/shooter athletic freak...the other one is a promising athlete who hasn't shown any basketball skills other than moving his feet well for his size. Considering our roster makeup, even if ridiculously optimistic projections came true-this should be a no-brainer.
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,216

Post#865 » by cedric76 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 am

[youtube]https://youtu.be/AQOegX5HauY?si=NzdCdNpV6APRbeaD[/youtube]
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go
Offer Harris and goga a 1+1 deal

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic

Suggs, AB, Carter
Monk, Jett, Harris
Franz, Jett, Houstan
Paolo, Moe, (Cole trade)
Wcj, JI, goga
Skybox
RealGM

Post#866 » by Skybox » Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:26 am

Knightro wrote:
thelead wrote:How do you split up our $48 mil in cap space?

2 guards? 1 big + 1 guard?

Would people here be pissed if we did something like 4/90 for Monk and 4/90 for IHart?

I would love it considering we could still make a trade to upgrade the guard spot a bit more.

Or, would you all prefer something like 4/90 for Monk and 4/90 for DLo?

What's the preferred cap allocation?

It's impossible to say without knowing what the trade market - which theoretically will happen *before* free agency - will shake out.

Like if the Magic could trade for one of Atlanta's guards, then obviously Monk or Russell wouldn't be something that would happen.

My No. 1 target in free agency is Hartenstein. Then look to flip Carter for a guard.

But most of all, I really want them to swing a deal for a high end lead guard.

I generally agree with your assessments...what is it about Hartenstein that is so attractive? We put in a moderate bid for him a couple of summers ago to be a solid backup. I'm not seeing the needle mover others are...he just seems solid.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,136

Post#867 » by tiderulz » Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:29 am

OrlandoNed wrote:
23% usage rate, 51% TS.

I don't think Murray would improve the offense aside from just being a guard who can run a basic offense.at minimum. I've seen many of his box scores are a lot of 8-19 from the floor with a few free throws. More misses than makes, average at best from 3. We need better than that. We need a scorer who can create and knock down his own shot anywhere on the court. This is the skillset we need at minimum, anything after that is just a bonus.

thing is, everyone is looking for that. add in that most want good defense too and absolutely everyone is looking for that. but the score from anywhere is why some of us keep throwing out Simons as an option.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,786

Post#868 » by basketballRob » Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:36 am

I have a feeling OKC will sign Hartenstein.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM Forums mobile app
Skybox
RealGM

Post#869 » by Skybox » Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:37 am

Murray is my number one target because he'd improve our guard defense as well as offense...and he IS a PG, not a "maybe could be a starting PG", like the rest of the names we're bouncing around. I also like the idea that we'd send out some salary (not necessarily 1:1) to get him, so we'd still have quite a bit of cap space to fill out the roster with guys that can play. Plus, I like the Seattle connection with Paolo (the "beef" is nothing, they're homeboys) and I love the dark, fierce edge he brings (compared to the sweet smiley crap we've grown to enjoy with Kelle, Cole, etc)...He's got more of a Jimmy Butler killer vibe...maybe get AJ Griffin thrown in. Remember, he was Paolo's sharpshooting wingman at Duke and he's been out of the rotation in ATL.

Simons number 2...I understand the concerns, but they've gotten wildly inflated. This is a guy who shoots from long-range like Hield, Kennard, etc but has so much more to his offensive game. This guy doesn't need "per 36" or other tricky stats to show what he can do because he's been a full-time starter since Dame/CJ fell apart and often when one or the other was out. He's on a different level than Monk. He's still very young despite his years of doing it on a high level in the NBA. He's put up numbers on bad teams but he put up BIG numbers - not the same as Cole scoring 18ppg on an awful Magic team a few seasons ago. Guys that AVERAGE 20+ ppg and put up 9 3pt attempts per game are not common. He's scored more than Paolo or Franz consistently. People are dismissing his degree of scoring way too easily. Just throwing him out because "defense" is pretending you haven't seen what the present team looks like. Mose has a lot of growing to do as a coach, but he's shown he can get defense out of guys and scheme for his defensive aces to cover a lot of ground. POR is in dire financial position, taking back salary would be a big plus for a team that's behind us in their rebuild but near the top of payroll numbers. If Robert Williams' medical prognosis isn't TOO dire, taking back his salary (and sending one less pick or asset?) could be an exciting bet. He'll expire in a couple of years, so, even if he doesn't play again, it's not too dire...but if he does come back strong...he's an awesome defender, who has delivered in big moments (in BOS) at C to platoon with Isaac, WCJ...whoever is in that role...just another angle to lower the price.

Monk number 3...similar to Simons, but not as high a level a scorer and certainly not as a shooter and not for as long. Monk was an ineffective player for years and has rehabbed his career in a bench role on SAC..."Why isn't he starting on mediocre teams if he's so valuable?" is not a wiseass question. I'd be excited to get him, but he's a good candidate to be a let down in a bigger role (vs the others, imo). He played in LAL for a min salary just a few years ago. Very gettable, you'd have to think, and not giving up assets is a comparable plus but I think ORL FO has been too focused (so far) on good deals more than getting the right players. Simons is a much better version of Monk but Monk would be a painless signing. Is his defense SO much better than Simons that it's not a factor?

Others:
Herro (don't know his availability) he'd be nice but only available, imo, if MIA is aiming higher and needs assets (like prev Dame)
Quickley...TOR will match...we should have grabbed him first. Can't imagine he's gettable without huge overpay. Don't
Coby White (likely unavailable unless CHI implodes)...great fit, but same as Monk, largely mediocre until recently. A good bet.
Caleb Martin - two way MIA mindset guy. PO this summer...maybe he's the guy to bet on. Never avg more than 10ppg but has delivered in big games
Brogdon - a really nice fit skill-wise, but injury concerns are an issue. Is he any kind of long-term solution.
Claxton - secondary concern after backcourt scoring but he'd be a great fit if he could be had without overpaying
Lots of others that would be nice upgrades but hardly advance the team...Sexton, Kennard, GTJ, Burks, Beasley, etc
Hartenstein - not sure why this is exciting to others, but I'm willing to listen, assuming WCJ is part of a guard trade
JBSouthpaw
Analyst
And1: 1,275

Post#870 » by JBSouthpaw » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:15 pm

SO many options.
We can over pay a FA, We can Over pay in a trade (take more $$$ back, send extra picks).
I hope there are discussions with PB and Franz on who they want to play with. I think both want to win and can recruit for this team.
This FO needs to take a shot though. I really wanted it last year with the 2 1sts in our pocket, I feel like this is the last true shot to do it, we'll start having to extend players with too many holes needed to fill.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,559

Post#871 » by Knightro » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:36 pm

23% usage rate, 51% TS.

This seems a little unfair.

16 of his 21 career playoff games came when he was 20 and 21 years old.

He played well against Boston last year: 23-7-7-2, +5.1 BPM in the series.
Redick07
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#872 » by Redick07 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:10 pm

Trade WCJ, Ingles, Cole, Jett, 24, 25 FRP(DN) for Trae Young.

Sign IHart with 80m/4y (1st year 16m)
Sign GTJ with 80m/4y (1st year 16m)

Give up Fultz, Goga, Harris, Okeke, Houstan

The roster will be:

C: IHart/MoWagner
PF: Paolo/Isaac
SF: Franz/MLE FA
SG: Suggs/GTJ
PG: Young/Black
Skybox
RealGM

Post#873 » by Skybox » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:19 pm

JBSouthpaw wrote:SO many options.
We can over pay a FA, We can Over pay in a trade (take more $$$ back, send extra picks).
I hope there are discussions with PB and Franz on who they want to play with. I think both want to win and can recruit for this team.
This FO needs to take a shot though. I really wanted it last year with the 2 1sts in our pocket, I feel like this is the last true shot to do it, we'll start having to extend players with too many holes needed to fill.

Agree and I think the "overpay in a trade" angle is under-appreciated. When all of the extensions are hitting, the FO might have to make hard financial decisions (for a stingy small-market team)...the extra late frps and non-core players will be quickly forgotten by then. I'd rather get the right guys at the right price and skip the draft for a few years, while we extend Paolo, Franz, Suggs, and now Isaac is likely going from forced retirement to a raise :o
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,417

Post#874 » by eyriq » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:22 pm

Our starting guards are already on the team
CarraT
Senior
And1: 190

Post#875 » by CarraT » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:29 pm

eyriq wrote:Our starting guards are already on the team

Welcome to 1st round exits on 35% shooting games the next 5 years, until PB gets frustrated and demands a trade.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,559

Post#876 » by Knightro » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:38 pm

Read on Twitter
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,216

Post#877 » by cedric76 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:10 pm

I m sold on monk at 85-90 M / 4yrs

Great signing and great asset if we ever need to trade him later on

Draft Carter
Trade Cole for depth

Leaves you enough money to offer 1+1 deals to giga and Harris

Suggs,ab , Carter
Monk, Jett
Franz, Houstan
Paolo,moe
Ji,wcj
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go
Offer Harris and goga a 1+1 deal

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic

Suggs, AB, Carter
Monk, Jett, Harris
Franz, Jett, Houstan
Paolo, Moe, (Cole trade)
Wcj, JI, goga
JoshuaPotter
Starter
And1: 695

Post#878 » by JoshuaPotter » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:30 pm

What's funny is we say it because we read what we are told by management themselves.

Unless someone gifts it to them. They aren't buyers.

CarraT wrote:

Welcome to 1st round exits on 35% shooting games the next 5 years, until PB gets frustrated and demands a trade.

Are you aware of what the script even is? Book 4 chapter 7 get it right.
Jkam31
Head Coach
And1: 5,676

Post#879 » by Jkam31 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:37 pm

What do you guys think about Huerter and pick 13 this year for Isaac?
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,136

Post#880 » by tiderulz » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:40 pm

Redick07 wrote:Trade WCJ, Ingles, Cole, Jett, 24, 25 FRP(DN) for Trae Young.

Sign IHart with 80m/4y (1st year 16m)
Sign GTJ with 80m/4y (1st year 16m)

Give up Fultz, Goga, Harris, Okeke, Houstan

The roster will be:

C: IHart/MoWagner
PF: Paolo/Isaac
SF: Franz/MLE FA
SG: Suggs/GTJ
PG: Young/Black

lol, that isnt going to cut it for Young. Atlanta would laugh you off the phone

Return to Orlando Magic