ImageImageImageImage

Official Summer 2024 Magic Free Agency and Trade Ideas Thread 4.0

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,853

Re: Official Summer 2024 Magic Free Agency and Trade Ideas Thread 4.0 

Post#741 » by thelead » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:54 am

Knightro wrote:
thelead wrote:IHart/Mo/Goga
Paolo/JI
Franz/Fontecchio
Suggs/Hield
Trae/Pat Bev(vet min)

I'm not the biggest Trae fan anymore but there is not denying that he is a whole offense on his own :lol:

I'm not sure we have the cap space to add IHart, Fontecchio, and Hield but that would be one hell of a summer if you add a trade for a starting guard like Trae (or Murray)

Definitely don't have anywhere close to that much cap space.

If they let Ingles walk, they'll be at a little over 93M committed on a 141M cap, roughly 48M in cap space.

Trae Young is 43M alone. Say the Magic send out Black, Howard and Cole, plus a ton of picks, that's roughly $26M outgoing and $43M incoming for a net loss of $17M in cap space.

Would leave like $31M in cap space. You certainly are not getting Hartenstein, Fontecchio and Hield for $31M. Probably realistically not getting two of them.

The move at that point would be to give Hartenstein the big contract using most of the cap space and then flipping Carter for a shooting guard.

I was thinking that we would also send WCJ's contract to Atlanta. But flipping WCJ for a SG works too. I am a fan of Fontecchio though.
tacosman
Junior
And1: 272

Post#742 » by tacosman » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:12 am

You guys are missing the point on all these possible additions. The problem is that the core doesn't have enough of a ceiling. It's not going to matter how you fill out the 'role' players. I don't see Paolo or Franz as ever being good enough to be the core of a great team.

The magic are clearly going to go all in with this core thinking they can keep building on this up and up. But making a commitment to a horse that just doesn't have enough top end juice(and won't) is just a lost cause imo.

I mean look at these two games. BALL. DON'T. LIE.

Building on this just isn't worth it and will only lead to treadmill. A playoff treadmill most 'good' years(like this one...depending on how strong the east happens to be any year). but still a treadmill.
RichCollab
Starter
And1: 674

Post#743 » by RichCollab » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:15 am

tacosman wrote:You guys are missing the point on all these possible additions. The problem is that the core doesn't have enough of a ceiling. It's not going to matter how you fill out the 'role' players. I don't see Paolo or Franz as ever being good enough to be the core of a great team.

The magic are clearly going to go all in with this core thinking they can keep building on this up and up. But making a commitment to a horse that just doesn't have enough top end juice(and won't) is just a lost cause imo.

Building on this just isn't worth it and will only lead to treadmill. A playoff treadmill most 'good' years(like this one...depending on how strong the east happens to be any year). but still a treadmill.

Give it up.
tacosman
Junior
And1: 272

Post#744 » by tacosman » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:15 am

giving Paolo a max contract and Franz a max to near max extension is going to take up a high percentage of the cap for two players that.....well, just shouldn't take up a high percentage of the cap.

Their ceiling just isn't high enough. Especially Franz.

The magic will never do it because they think the trajectory from this year is up up up. That's not reading the room right. The smart move would actually be to trade franz.....that way you don't have to pay him and you collect unprotected picks and assets.
thelead
RealGM

Post#745 » by thelead » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:19 am

tacosman wrote:You guys are missing the point on all these possible additions. The problem is that the core doesn't have enough of a ceiling. It's not going to matter how you fill out the 'role' players. I don't see Paolo or Franz as ever being good enough to be the core of a great team.

Paolo turned 21 this season... Relax.

He has A LOT of work to put in but the tools are there. Same goes for Franz.

We just need to hire the best shooting coaches money can buy for Franz and Paolo. It would also help to get them a real PG. Look at the roster and tell me who should be running the offense right now?

We then need to get whoever worked on Coby White's handle last summer to work with Suggs.
Rainwater
General Manager
And1: 5,711

Post#746 » by Rainwater » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:24 am

Franz and Paolo are 22 and 21 respectively but they don’t have enough of a ceiling? The rebuild hasn’t even finished and already calling them a treadmill? They haven’t even put a team together yet they are going to be a treadmill? If you have no clue what a final product is going to be how the hell do you know they are going to be a treadmill? lol.
NavalAviator94
Analyst
And1: 1,458

Post#747 » by NavalAviator94 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:30 am

Wouldn’t Coby White be an interesting trade target if the bulls want to reset.

AB? Picks?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
thelead
RealGM

Post#748 » by thelead » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:43 am

NavalAviator94 wrote:Wouldn’t Coby White be an interesting trade target if the bulls want to reset.

AB? Picks?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

The Bulls are an anti-tank franchise from what it appears. I doubt they look to give us yet another asset :lol:
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 13,096

Post#749 » by MagicMatic » Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:04 pm

They are 21 and 22 while carrying this group to the playoffs without a real Point Guard and a Center.

It is about the role players. Why? Because on offense they are asking Paolo and Franz to initiate everything, while shooters are taking tougher shots, resulting in extremely bad %.

They are tasking both of them to iso every possession into traffic because there is no one that can set them up on the floor to create better looks in space. There is no gravity pulling defenses out of the paint or creating opportunities in pick and roll situations. Opponents have schemed the Magic now and know how to defend this team easily.

Back to the thread topic:

If you want to hope they change things it should be at those positions. Carter is soft and barely helps with positioning on the offensive end other than stretching the floor situationally. Fultz & Cole are not capable of starting.
DiplomaticMagic
Head Coach
And1: 2,556

Post#750 » by DiplomaticMagic » Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:08 pm

I want Hartenstein so bad :cry:

Think the best move we can do this summer, is sign him and trade Wendell for a guard
STOP PLAYING FULTZ
JoshuaPotter
Starter
And1: 695

Post#751 » by JoshuaPotter » Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:11 pm

MagicMatic wrote:

They are 21 and 22 while carrying this group to the playoffs without a real Point Guard and a Center.

It is about the role players. Why? Because on offense they are asking Paolo and Franz to initiate everything, while shooters are taking tougher shots, resulting in extremely bad %.

They are tasking both of them to iso every possession into traffic because there is no one that can set them up on the floor to create better looks in space. There is no gravity pulling defenses out of the paint or creating opportunities in pick and roll situations. Opponents have schemed the Magic now and know how to defend this team easily.

I loved how many pick and rolls with Paolo + Franz I saw. Granted I never get to watch games, I treated myself to a Bally Sprots subscription.

As much as I didn't like it today, I see that as our future.

In terms of confident and the 3-ball I saw Franz pass up several shots from 3 that he should just take, but he is letting his gut and his % numbers get into his head and overthought a lot of it. Just my humble opinion.

A better PG / Center or one of Howard / Black actually turning into something and this is a 5 point loss instead of a 14/10. Maybe even a W.

In terms of Franz + Paolo ceiling. Well, in one hand, if they were generational players we would be expecting them to trounce the east. But I don't think we are going to know how good this team is until after their resigning by a measure of years.

In terms of treadmill playoffs. I also do not get this statement. You enter the playoffs consistently, where in a 7 game series anything can happen. Some people are acting like Tim Duncan never existed. I guess the counter point would you could become the next Utah Jazz, or Patrick Ewing Knicks, or Steve Nash' Suns. You also could be the next Dirk.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,667

Post#752 » by Skybox » Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:20 pm

MagicMatic wrote:

Playing without a backcourt offensive initiator is absolutely revolutionary…like racing a dragster without all 4 wheels. IF they fix it, we’ll see what Franz & Paolo can be. I’m confident they’ll be great - but the idea that Paolo is our PG is just comedy.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 13,096

Post#753 » by MagicMatic » Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:52 pm

Skybox wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:

Playing without a backcourt offensive initiator is absolutely revolutionary…like racing a dragster without all 4 wheels. IF they fix it, we’ll see what Franz & Paolo can be. I’m confident they’ll be great - but the idea that Paolo is our PG is just comedy.

This team with a point guard like Garland would look entirely different on offense. You wouldn’t even recognize Paolo’s game with that amount of space.
thelead
RealGM

Post#754 » by thelead » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:26 pm

DiplomaticMagic wrote:I want Hartenstein so bad :cry:

Think the best move we can do this summer, is sign him and trade Wendell for a guard

That’s the move. We can get him if we really want him. 4/100 is an overpay but it would get him IMO. Then, as you mentioned, trade WCJ and picks for the guard we need.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,386

Post#755 » by eyriq » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:31 pm

Trade WCJ + Cole and let Harris and Fultz walk. This is the way.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,535

Post#756 » by Knightro » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:55 pm

eyriq wrote:Trade WCJ + Cole and let Harris and Fultz walk. This is the way.

I don't disagree with you at all, but that's also a huge amount of minutes to replace.

How are you filling...

Carter 25.6 MPG
Harris 24.0 MPG
Anthony 22.4 MPG
Fultz 21.2 MPG

That's basically players 4, 5, 6 and 7 in the rotation.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#757 » by eyriq » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:10 pm

Knightro wrote:
eyriq wrote:Trade WCJ + Cole and let Harris and Fultz walk. This is the way.

I don't disagree with you at all, but that's also a huge amount of minutes to replace.

How are you filling...

Carter 25.6 MPG
Harris 24.0 MPG
Anthony 22.4 MPG
Fultz 21.2 MPG

That's basically players 4, 5, 6 and 7 in the rotation.
AB, Jett, free agent, trade target

Edit: not in order of rotation slot
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#758 » by Knightro » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:16 pm

eyriq wrote:AB, Jett, free agent, trade target

Jett Howard going from 67 minutes played for his entire rookie season to a 20-25 MPG rotation spot seems completely implausible to me.

And if it does happen, I expect him to be horrible and a total drain on the rotation.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#759 » by eyriq » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:18 pm

Knightro wrote:

Jett Howard going from 67 minutes played for his entire rookie season to a 20-25 MPG rotation spot seems completely implausible to me.

And if it does happen, I expect him to be horrible and a total drain on the rotation.
It needs to happen though.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#760 » by Knightro » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:37 pm

eyriq wrote:
Knightro wrote:

It needs to happen though.

This is the problem I harped on for a *very* long time in the lead up to this season.

You have two young guys in Black and Howard who played just 1164 minutes and 67 minutes respectively.

What do you expect them to do in year 2 when they weren't really afforded the minutes (or opportunity to actually do things they'll need to do like actual play on the ball as a point guard in Black's case) to do anything in year 1?

You stick these guys straight away into 1700-2000 minutes after basically not playing much (not playing at all in Jett's case) in year 1 and they're going to most likely really suck because most young players really suck.

But the team as a whole has established itself as a 47 win, 5 seed now. So they can they afford those young player struggles?

The expectation next season has to be to level up from this season, right? Get home court in round 1 and win a playoff series. That seems like a tall task if Black and Jett are each playing 20-25 MPG.

Return to Orlando Magic