ImageImageImageImage

Official Summer 2024 Magic Free Agency and Trade Ideas Thread 4.0

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,031

Re: Official Summer 2024 Magic Free Agency and Trade Ideas Thread 4.0 

Post#761 » by fendilim » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:44 pm

Knightro wrote:
eyriq wrote:AB, Jett, free agent, trade target

Jett Howard going from 67 minutes played for his entire rookie season to a 20-25 MPG rotation spot seems completely implausible to me.

And if it does happen, I expect him to be horrible and a total drain on the rotation.

Not entirely impossible. We’ve seen a rookie play valuable minutes for a playoff team. Jett will be on his second year next year.
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,868

Post#762 » by thelead » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:48 pm

Magic fans need to prepare for a ‘step back’ season next year if one of the young guys don't take a massive leap and/or the FO don’t do their job.

For example, if we basically run it back, I would expect a 6-8 seed at best as the rest of the east gets healthy and make their moves.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,417

Post#763 » by eyriq » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:50 pm

Knightro wrote:
eyriq wrote:
Knightro wrote:
Jett Howard going from 67 minutes played for his entire rookie season to a 20-25 MPG rotation spot seems completely implausible to me.

And if it does happen, I expect him to be horrible and a total drain on the rotation.
It needs to happen though.

This is the problem I harped on for a *very* long time in the lead up to this season.

You have two young guys in Black and Howard who played just 1164 minutes and 67 minutes respectively.

What do you expect them to do in year 2 when they weren't really afforded the minutes (or opportunity to actually do things they'll need to do like actual play on the ball as a point guard in Black's case) to do anything in year 1?

You stick these guys straight away into 1700-2000 minutes after basically not playing much (not playing at all in Jett's case) in year 1 and they're going to most likely really suck because most young players really suck.

But the team as a whole has established itself as a 47 win, 5 seed now. So they can they afford those young player struggles?

The expectation next season has to be to level up from this season, right? Get home court in round 1 and win a playoff series. That seems like a tall task if Black and Jett are each playing 20-25 MPG.
Yeah, great point, we aren't setting them up to come in and be above average role players as sophomores.

Mosley doesn't trust them now with pretty marginal pressure. How will he respond when the pressure ramps up? The way he's handled them has marginalized their roles.

I trust Mosley even though I don't understand Fultz over AB now or Harris over AB to start the season.

If we mishandle AB and Jett's development that will be a significant setback. I suspect Mosley knows this and has an integration plan for next season that will see both AB and Jett in the rotation next season.

Personally, I think AB is going to be an advanced stats darling sooner than later, a la Franz. His IQ, free throw rate, defense, size, off-ball movement, work ethic, etc, are high level.

I hope Jett is a shot maker, he has more potential than Cole, Harris, or Caleb in this regard.

I think you take your lumps and play them.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,559

Post#764 » by Knightro » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:06 pm

eyriq wrote:I think you take your lumps and play them.

I get why you think this, and in a perfect world I really wouldn't disagree with you.

I just think that ship has sailed due to the success of this season.

No one is going to be ok with a step backwards. Not the players, not the coaches, *especially* not the fans.

The front office basically has no choice but to attempt to address some of/most of/ideally all the weak spots in an attempt to "level up" again in 2024-2025.

Black and Jett should still get the opportunity to play, but I don't think the Magic can just hand either of them a no questions asked rotation spot and not expect a significant step backwards.

We all agree that Cole Anthony pretty much sucked this year, right?

Well his NET and EPM and BPM were all *miles* better than Black's were and that was in a clear down season for Cole. Because 4th and 5th year guys are almost always better than 1st and 2nd year guys.
CocoaFan
Sophomore
And1: 62

Post#765 » by CocoaFan » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:13 pm

Knightro wrote:
eyriq wrote:Trade WCJ + Cole and let Harris and Fultz walk. This is the way.

I don't disagree with you at all, but that's also a huge amount of minutes to replace.

How are you filling...

Carter 25.6 MPG
Harris 24.0 MPG
Anthony 22.4 MPG
Fultz 21.2 MPG

That's basically players 4, 5, 6 and 7 in the rotation.
Trade Carter + Anthony for SG. Sign Claxton FA (~$20M). AB takes Fultz minutes. You have to play him sometime. Sign Monk as FA (~$25M). Also let Ingles walk. Should have enough cap space w/ Fultz ($17M); Harris ($13M); Carter ($13M); Anthony ($14M); Ingles ($11M) off the books.

Claxton (30)/Moe (14)/Magic 1st
Banchero (32)/Isaac (24)/Okeke or Magic 2nd
Franz (32)/Howard/Houstan
Suggs (30)/SG from trade (24)/T. Queen or Magic 2nd
Monk (30)/AB (24)/M. McClung
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#766 » by Knightro » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:15 pm

CocoaFan wrote:Trade Carter + Anthony for SG. Sign Claxton FA (~$20M). AB takes Fultz minutes. You have to play him sometime. Sign Monk as FA (~$25M). Also let Ingles walk. Should have enough cap space w/ Fultz ($17M); Harris ($13M); Carter ($13M); Anthony ($14M); Ingles ($11M) off the books.

So 4/100 for Monk and 3/60 for Claxton this summer?

And Carter for somebody like Huerter maybe?
tooler
General Manager
And1: 5,371

Post#767 » by tooler » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:22 pm

thelead wrote:Magic fans need to prepare for a ‘step back’ season next year if one of the young guys don't take a massive leap and/or the FO don’t do their job.

For example, if we basically run it back, I would expect a 6-8 seed at best as the rest of the east gets healthy and make their moves.

Agreed. They will also likely have trouble maintaining the focus and energy to play high intensity basketball another 82 game season. The team needs to find ways to make regular season games easier, like a point guard.
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,095

Post#768 » by yoyojw17 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:23 pm

fendilim wrote:
Knightro wrote:
eyriq wrote:AB, Jett, free agent, trade target

Not entirely impossible. We’ve seen a rookie play valuable minutes for a playoff team. Jett will be on his second year next year.

But people would have liked him and black to come from college and get those minutes? Lol. Not impossible at all in my opinion. There was a plan in place. Dependent on their development over the summer ... they both can play more prominent roles next season!
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 13,096

Post#769 » by MagicMatic » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:36 pm

Knightro wrote:
eyriq wrote:
Knightro wrote:

It needs to happen though.

This is the problem I harped on for a *very* long time in the lead up to this season.

You have two young guys in Black and Howard who played just 1164 minutes and 67 minutes respectively.

What do you expect them to do in year 2 when they weren't really afforded the minutes (or opportunity to actually do things they'll need to do like actual play on the ball as a point guard in Black's case) to do anything in year 1?

You stick these guys straight away into 1700-2000 minutes after basically not playing much (not playing at all in Jett's case) in year 1 and they're going to most likely really suck because most young players really suck.

But the team as a whole has established itself as a 47 win, 5 seed now. So they can they afford those young player struggles?

The expectation next season has to be to level up from this season, right? Get home court in round 1 and win a playoff series. That seems like a tall task if Black and Jett are each playing 20-25 MPG.

This is what we talked about all offseason and were met with “let’s wait and see” , which is just idiotic nonsense. Like contracts and timeframes don’t exist.

You either played AB/Jett real minutes this season and tested them against nba competition, OR you found a way to put a starting 5 on the floor that didn’t have huge glaring weaknesses that put the core in inopportune situations for development.

They did neither and went with “let’s wait and see” . These are the results… completely falling off a cliff after appeasing players that have zero business on this roster next season.

I can’t help but smile as I read people come up with 3-4 moves to fix this roster in one offseason. Yeah, you all can thank the FO for not making incremental moves while you now hope a complete roster overhaul takes place in one offseason.

We told you so.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,785

Post#770 » by basketballRob » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:41 pm

Knightro wrote:
eyriq wrote:I think you take your lumps and play them.

I get why you think this, and in a perfect world I really wouldn't disagree with you.

I just think that ship has sailed due to the success of this season.

No one is going to be ok with a step backwards. Not the players, not the coaches, *especially* not the fans.

The front office basically has no choice but to attempt to address some of/most of/ideally all the weak spots in an attempt to "level up" again in 2024-2025.

Black and Jett should still get the opportunity to play, but I don't think the Magic can just hand either of them a no questions asked rotation spot and not expect a significant step backwards.

Well his NET and EPM and BPM were all *miles* better than Black's were and that was in a clear down season for Cole. Because 4th and 5th year guys are almost always better than 1st and 2nd year guys.
Black is still younger than Cole was during his rookie season. As far as net rating, Cole was close to -13 if I remember correctly. Black is close to even

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM Forums mobile app
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#771 » by Knightro » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:43 pm

basketballRob wrote:Black is still younger than Cole was during his rookie season. As far as net rating, Cole was close to -13 if I remember correctly. Black is close to even

basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,785

Post#772 » by basketballRob » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:58 pm

Knightro wrote:
basketballRob wrote:Black is still younger than Cole was during his rookie season. As far as net rating, Cole was close to -13 if I remember correctly. Black is close to even

My point is Black is on a higher trajectory.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM Forums mobile app
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 13,096

Post#773 » by MagicMatic » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:14 pm

Knightro wrote:

I kinda hinted at this in the game thread..

Cole fell off a cliff offensively when his role was basically diminished and his minutes were decreased mid season. I remember people talking about how much value he had in November through early January.

Go check the numbers. Fultz comes back Jan 7th into the rotation and ends up starting January 21st. Cole goes from looking like a significant contributor playing about 25-26mpg to 18-20mpg and struggles immensely in that timeframe all the way until now since Fultz returned splitting the minutes.

Not even remotely the same player in Feb- April compared to Nov-Jan. It got worse when Mosely sidelined AB entirely and started running 3 guard lineups with Gary and Jalen starting games.

The point in all of this? Fultz should have never been on the team this season. Period. AB would have found minutes. Cole wouldn’t have had to adjust. Etc. Weltman is an idiot for not moving him 1.5 seasons ago for literally any asset in return in a “less is more” situation.

Entire threads were made giving a million reasons why he should still be here and everyone was wrong.
ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God
And1: 14,501

Post#774 » by ibraheim718 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:45 pm

Knightro wrote:
CocoaFan wrote:Trade Carter + Anthony for SG. Sign Claxton FA (~$20M). AB takes Fultz minutes. You have to play him sometime. Sign Monk as FA (~$25M). Also let Ingles walk. Should have enough cap space w/ Fultz ($17M); Harris ($13M); Carter ($13M); Anthony ($14M); Ingles ($11M) off the books.

I think Claxton takes away from Banchero. He loves to pound the rock and not go anywhere also. Huerter I'm a fan of. Monk.. meh.

I'll always go back to Monte Morris.

Morris
Suggs
Wagner
Banchero
WCJ

Black
Huerter
O'neal
Isaac
Wagner

You've got a lot of different line ups with this roster. Both starting guards shoot 40% from 3. Huerter and Royce O'neal are snipers also. You can start Black if you want.
OrlChamps2030
General Manager
And1: 4,168

Post#775 » by OrlChamps2030 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:01 pm

ibraheim718 wrote:
Knightro wrote:

I think Claxton takes away from Banchero. He loves to pound the rock and not go anywhere also. Huerter I'm a fan of. Monk.. meh.

Morris
Suggs
Wagner
Banchero
WCJ

Black
Huerter
O'neal
Isaac
Wagner

You've got a lot of different line ups with this roster. Both starting guards shoot 40% from 3. Huerter and Royce O'neal are snipers also. You can start Black if you want.

Damn if that’s our offseason that’s depressing
DiplomaticMagic
Head Coach
And1: 2,564

Post#776 » by DiplomaticMagic » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:54 pm

To those who want Monk as free agent....

Do you see him as a starter or 6th man like in Sacramento???
STOP PLAYING FULTZ
ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God

Post#777 » by ibraheim718 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:00 pm

OrlChamps2030 wrote:
ibraheim718 wrote:
Knightro wrote:

Morris
Suggs
Wagner
Banchero
WCJ

Black
Huerter
O'neal
Isaac
Wagner

Damn if that’s our offseason that’s depressing

Let me amend that then.

Lebron
George
Durant
Giannis
Jokic

Is that better?
ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God

Post#778 » by ibraheim718 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:01 pm

Like most fan bases this one is delusional.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,417

Post#779 » by eyriq » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:35 pm

I'm surprised we aren't talking about Chris Paul. This is the one.
p0peye
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,020

Post#780 » by p0peye » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:38 pm

eyriq wrote:I'm surprised we aren't talking about Chris Paul. This is the one.

2010 called and wants it's thread back.

Return to Orlando Magic