ImageImageImageImage

Official Summer 2024 Magic Free Agency and Trade Ideas Thread 4.0

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 13,162

Re: Official Summer 2024 Magic Free Agency and Trade Ideas Thread 4.0 

Post#81 » by MagicMatic » Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:49 pm

RichCollab wrote:Why live in would’ve could’ve should’ve based on speculation?

Ever put a house on the market at a very attractive price to get multiple offers? We have no clue what happened behind the scenes.

Imagine if Tim Duncan came? Imagine if Shaq stayed? Imagine Grant Hill recovered?

This front office gets an A for where we are and what previous FOs left them.

A? Weltman is that you?

It took them 4+ seasons to actually do anything and now that they’ve drafted a core of players they took another 2 seasons to acquire any vets of consequence. Now they are in an offseason where free agency has dried up and lost value left and right from failing to move players 1-2 seasons prior.

Why do people pretend like this Front Office is exempt from not making decisions? Indecision is a decision.
RichCollab
Starter
And1: 702

Post#82 » by RichCollab » Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:00 pm

MagicMatic wrote:

Ever put a house on the market at a very attractive price to get multiple offers? We have no clue what happened behind the scenes.

Imagine if Tim Duncan came? Imagine if Shaq stayed? Imagine Grant Hill recovered?

A? Weltman is that you?

It took them 4+ seasons to actually do anything and now that they’ve drafted a core of players they took another 2 seasons to acquire any vets of consequence. Now they are in an offseason where free agency has dried up and lost value left and right from failing to move players 1-2 seasons prior.

Why do people pretend like this Front Office is exempt from not making decisions? Indecision is a decision.

Why are people always so sour.
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,184

Post#83 » by zaymon » Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:13 pm

MagicMatic wrote:

A? Weltman is that you?

They made decision when they started the rebuild. They said they will go slow. They accumulated assets when most here wanted to spend them.
Now we all agree that we need many upgrades, but at least we have assets and no bad contracts. This free agency is a lot better than last year if we want to be honest and not manipulate reality. I know being patient is not pleasant, especially in this age of instant gratification, but me personally i will judge Welatman after we use our assets not before.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
RichCollab
Starter

Post#84 » by RichCollab » Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:21 pm

Pope as a Gary Harris replacement? Has played on 2 championship teams. Has had good availability and can be replaced by Jett in 2 seasons.

Tyus as Fultz replacement. Starts next year but following years can move to the bench and we move on from Cole.
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,916

Post#85 » by thelead » Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:44 pm

RichCollab wrote:Pope as a Gary Harris replacement? Has played on 2 championship teams. Has had good availability and can be replaced by Jett in 2 seasons.

Tyus as Fultz replacement. Starts next year but following years can move to the bench and we move on from Cole.

I’d be onboard for both. Can we also add IHart to this list?
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 13,162

Post#86 » by MagicMatic » Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:05 pm

RichCollab wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:

A? Weltman is that you?

Why do people think this is Reddit?
RichCollab
Starter

Post#87 » by RichCollab » Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:09 pm

MagicMatic wrote:
RichCollab wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:
A? Weltman is that you?

Why do people think this is Reddit?

I thought this was twitter…
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,488

Post#88 » by eyriq » Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:31 pm

Read on Twitter
?t=qCreMcLIzyiMNsbeJB_mQw&s=19
MartinsIzAfraud
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,130

Post#89 » by MartinsIzAfraud » Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:47 pm

eyriq wrote:
Read on Twitter

Ohh look another FA guard using us
A scoring guard.. never heard of one. :roll:
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#90 » by eyriq » Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:50 pm

MartinsIzAfraud wrote:
eyriq wrote:
Read on Twitter

Ohh look another FA guard using us
Lol you're not wrong
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,722

Post#91 » by Skybox » Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:56 pm

RichCollab wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:

A? Weltman is that you?

this is the Free Agency and Trade Idea Thread...generally populated by people who want to try to improve the team with proactive behavior...Maybe you should start a "Don't do anything. We're good" thread. I'm sure an "Organic Growth through Internal Development" thread would be fascinating.
PrimeThyme
RealGM
And1: 14,455

Post#92 » by PrimeThyme » Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:50 pm

A pre-shoulder injury Jameer Nelson, averaging 16 points per game, is still the most offensively capable point guard we've had in 25 years.

This is starting to feel like waiting for a monsoon on Arrakis. Hopefully, the failure to acquire an offensively elite point guard won't be the downfall of this rebuild as well.
ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God
And1: 14,549

Post#93 » by ibraheim718 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:31 pm

eyriq wrote:
Read on Twitter

Russell playing like he's playing now would be perfect.. deft soft passer.. good shooter.. struggles defensively but Suggs sometimes looks like there is two of him out there on defense so he'd help cover DLO. If you remember last nights game Jalen was guarding Harden who had a stinker and was still able to slide over to the elbow to help on Leonard and George.. it was nothing short of amazing.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#94 » by eyriq » Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:53 pm

ibraheim718 wrote:
eyriq wrote:
Read on Twitter

Russell playing like he's playing now would be perfect.. deft soft passer.. good shooter.. struggles defensively but Suggs sometimes looks like there is two of him out there on defense so he'd help cover DLO. If you remember last nights game Jalen was guarding Harden who had a stinker and was still able to slide over to the elbow to help on Leonard and George.. it was nothing short of amazing.
I like the idea of an uber-microwave archetype next to Suggs, which is why I was so high on Keyonte and why I liked Simons. Now that we have AB and Jett I'm off the idea, I don't want a prime microwave scorer clogging up the development pipeline for AB. But out of context, I think it would absolutely work because Suggs is so good defensively.
Skybox
RealGM

Post#95 » by Skybox » Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:55 pm

ibraheim718 wrote:
eyriq wrote:
Read on Twitter

Could certainly make an argument for him vs Monk...he's had many more years of high scoring and being a lead ball handler. Monk's having his best year at 15.4ppg and this is also the first year he's topped 4 apg... Russell has avgd. 17.8 and 5.8 for his career. Russell is 2 years older at 28, but still not what I'd consider old. Russell is a little taller at 6'5 and has a wingspan of 6'9.75" vs Monk's 6'3 and 6'6. Monk has insanely explosive hops at the rim. Russell's career 3pt shooting is .369 with .386 over the last 4 years and .420 on 6.9 3pta's this year. Monk career 3pt% is .355 with .375 over the last 4 seasons and .350 on 5.88 3pta's this season.

Both could certainly claim to have experience playing as 2nd or 3rd offensive option on good teams. I don't think either is known as an exceptional defender or as an awful one. I'm not really sure why Russell is not on top of the list of UFA's for us...tell me.

I would expect them both to come in at around $18-20m....unless either or both take a discount to stay where they are.
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,222

Post#96 » by cedric76 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:21 pm

Monk might be off our FA list
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go
Offer Harris and goga a 1+1 deal

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic

Suggs, AB, Carter
Monk, Jett, Harris
Franz, Jett, Houstan
Paolo, Moe, (Cole trade)
Wcj, JI, goga
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,893

Post#97 » by RookieStar » Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:52 pm

cedric76 wrote:Monk might be off our FA list

Because of his injuries?
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#98 » by eyriq » Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:48 pm

Read on Twitter
?t=QYjMk5bJ3BByrU4rqwmXBg&s=19
Skybox
RealGM

Post#99 » by Skybox » Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:47 pm

WCJ to DAL for Gafford.

Lively & Gafford are very similar in their skillsets and limitations. Lively is on a rookie deal and has higher upside. WCJ at 4 would be physical, grab 10+ rpg while Lively contests everything. On the other end, WCJ spreads the floor, attacks close outs, runs PnR…but mostly provides the spacing their guards need. I believe WCJ would jump in ppg & rpg in DAL…and he’s actually younger than Gafford. They have nearly identical deals with 2 more years.

Gafford fits right between Paolo & Franz and basically provides everything Claxton would at 60% of the likely salary. ORL retains a ton of cap space and picks to solidify the backcourt.
orlando_joe
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,665

Post#100 » by orlando_joe » Sun Mar 31, 2024 2:07 pm

Skybox wrote:
ibraheim718 wrote:
eyriq wrote:
Read on Twitter

Could certainly make an argument for him vs Monk...he's had many more years of high scoring and being a lead ball handler. Monk's having his best year at 15.4ppg and this is also the first year he's topped 4 apg... Russell has avgd. 17.8 and 5.8 for his career. Russell is 2 years older at 28, but still not what I'd consider old. Russell is a little taller at 6'5 and has a wingspan of 6'9.75" vs Monk's 6'3 and 6'6. Monk has insanely explosive hops at the rim. Russell's career 3pt shooting is .369 with .386 over the last 4 years and .420 on 6.9 3pta's this year. Monk career 3pt% is .355 with .375 over the last 4 seasons and .350 on 5.88 3pta's this season.

Both could certainly claim to have experience playing as 2nd or 3rd offensive option on good teams. I don't think either is known as an exceptional defender or as an awful one. I'm not really sure why Russell is not on top of the list of UFA's for us...tell me.

I would expect them both to come in at around $18-20m....unless either or both take a discount to stay where they are.

better option in my view also then paying monk or giving blazers what they want for simons ok to pay a bit more in cap then giving firsts for worse player..a 25/20/20 contract with 3rd yr team option would be fine

Return to Orlando Magic