ImageImageImageImage

Official Summer 2024 Magic Free Agency and Trade Ideas Thread 4.0

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Residual-Heat
Sixth Man
And1: 1,075

Re: Official Summer 2024 Magic Free Agency and Trade Ideas Thread 4.0 

Post#941 » by Residual-Heat » Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:47 pm

CocoaFan wrote:
Skybox wrote:Now that we're getting a good look at playoff intensity and we're facing a very significant summer...I think it's important to not settle or accept a marginal improvement. One significant improvement in the backcourt can't be "under-done". Some guys fold mentally, regardless of skillsets, stats, etc.

Paolo is the real f@#*ing thing. Suggs is too. Franz is fine...let's make sure the next guy(s) added are legit DAWGS.

DLo is a proven marshmallow when it counts
Garland, as someone pointed out earlier, is iffy - despite his usual play, especially when considering what he'd cost
Herro has no fear of the bright lights...so much so that unless MIA is hunting a real star, he's likely off the table
Monk, to my knowledge is untested...I really don't remember how he's fared in big moments with LAL or SAC
Simons...the same, as far as I know

To me, the answer is Murray...I don't have a playoff resume to point to...but, it's clear, he's got the mental makeup to roll with Suggs and Paolo - along with the size, defense, and skillset. I'd throw a lot at ATL to grab him as a core member of this team. I think he's a winner and a fierce competitor. LAL is getting swept out of the playoffs and will likely come hard at ATL with whatever assets they can spare...I'd really like to beat them to it.

Murray can shoot, but he's not a true sniper...maybe we fill in with another guy like Caleb Martin...another guy who plays above his pay grade in big moments.

I'd love to add a real shot-blocking big man like Allen or Mobley or Claxton but we may have to prioritize our moves for now. I was definitely on-board with Isaac at C, but he's also just so incredibly disruptive on the perimeter. I still think he's our best Center on the roster today - but Mosley made the right move playing WCJ...because we just don't (on most nights-last night was nuts) have the offensive firepower in our backcourt.
The issue with Murray is Atlanta will want Suggs who would be the perfect fit next to Trae. I wouldn't give up Suggs for Murray. Too much risk on the chemistry side. If they want Black and Carter I'd be all for it.

Its not just about what the Hawks want though, its about what they can get. No one is giving them a good young player like Suggs. They will have to settle for what they can get, and if you look around the league, most teams are already set at PG and do not need Murray. Our biggest competition is probably going to be the Pelicans. The Pelicans could offer up Dyson Daniels, who probably has similar value to Black (probably less IMO). What the Pelicans can offer that we cant/wont is a really good vet in return. They could offer Ingram who should fit in well with them. Unless the Magic can find a 3rd team to take their assets, they cant offer someone that good.
Residual-Heat
Sixth Man

Post#942 » by Residual-Heat » Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:03 pm

I had a Murray trade idea a couple of weeks ago where its a four team trade between the Hawks-Grizz-Magic-Blazers. Didnt really give it too much thought, so its incomplete, but it involved the Magic getting Murray, Hawks getting Smart+ Grant, Blazers getting Hunter (bad contract) and the Grizzlies getting WCJ+
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,484

Post#943 » by eyriq » Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:41 pm

Will Garland hit the trade market?
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,709

Post#944 » by Skybox » Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:50 pm

ORL sends: WCJ to POR, Jett to ATL
ORL gets: Dejounte Murray, AJ Griffin, Robert Williams

ATL sends: Dejounte Murray, AJ Griffin to ORL
ATL gets: Jerami Grant, Jett Howard

POR sends: Jerami Grant to ATL, Robert Williams to ORL
POR gets: WCJ, tremendous cap relief

ATL rebalances roster without taking a step back.
POR continues rebuild with young versatile complement to Ayton and saves TREMENDOUS salary penalties
ORL adds backcourt punch at tremendous position of need, swaps shooters for Paolo's buddy, weaponizes salary to absorb Time-Lord
-Williams expires as extensions hit...if he plays-which he's expected to - he's a proven defensive machine.

...ORL lets Fultz, Ingles, Harris, Okeke, Goga walk...maybe still can get Hartenstein in FA - if price is reasonable.
...no picks added (is that reasonable-maybe DEN 25 to ATL or seconds?), draft McCain, Collier, Carter, Da Silva, Shannon...BPA

Hartenstein, M. Wagner, R. Williams (he moves way up when healthy-if not, oh well)
Paolo, Isaac
Franz, Griffin, Houstan
Suggs, Cole, Kevon or Queen
Murray, Black, frp
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,221

Post#945 » by cedric76 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:57 pm

Don't over complicate it, just offer monk a 84 -90 M /4yr contract

Give Harris a 1+1
Draft Carter

And keep your assets

Let fultz and chuma go

Then come December when top player request for a trade you can offer a package

Monk+ FRPs for someone like Mitchell

Or sit pat and enjoy your team

Suggs AB Carter
Monk Jett Harris
Franz Jett Houstan
Paolo Moe
Wcj JI lle

Go Magic
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go
Offer Harris and goga a 1+1 deal

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic

Suggs, AB, Carter
Monk, Jett, Harris
Franz, Jett, Houstan
Paolo, Moe, (Cole trade)
Wcj, JI, goga
Skybox
RealGM

Post#946 » by Skybox » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:12 pm

Is it unthinkable to include Mo Wagner in a trade?

I like him too, but...we're talking about contending
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,484

Post#947 » by eyriq » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:25 pm

Skybox wrote:Is it unthinkable to include Mo Wagner in a trade?

I like him too, but...we're talking about contending
He's showing top 8 on a playoff contender potential. I wouldn't rush to trade him.

Edit: thinking about it though he's likely not here long-term, too one dimensional
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,549

Post#948 » by Bensational » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:45 pm

Moe and Franz share an apartment together - Moe ain’t going anywhere as long as Franz is here. Plus, he’s good and a contributor to our identity.
Skybox
RealGM

Post#949 » by Skybox » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:56 pm

Bensational wrote:Moe and Franz share an apartment together - Moe ain’t going anywhere as long as Franz is here. Plus, he’s good and a contributor to our identity.

This is what I'm afraid of...completely non-basketball reasons.

I like Mo. Not in a rush to trade him, but an active team on the trade market has to look at their options and he's got an $8m team option...we're moving out of the daycare phase of the rebuild.

this is his 4th team and ORL, by a mile, has paid him the highest salaried seasons in his career...I'm not anti-Mo, but I don't like the idea that he's untouchable for emotional reasons...he should be thanking ORL FO for their patience.

Just thinking...not looking to move him, just gauging the level of outrage to expect if one of our one-way deep bench guys making $8m were actually available as we try to move into a tighter, contending rotation.
CocoaFan
Sophomore
And1: 65

Post#950 » by CocoaFan » Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:03 pm

Residual-Heat wrote:
CocoaFan wrote:
Skybox wrote:Now that we're getting a good look at playoff intensity and we're facing a very significant summer...I think it's important to not settle or accept a marginal improvement. One significant improvement in the backcourt can't be "under-done". Some guys fold mentally, regardless of skillsets, stats, etc.

Paolo is the real f@#*ing thing. Suggs is too. Franz is fine...let's make sure the next guy(s) added are legit DAWGS.

Garland, as someone pointed out earlier, is iffy - despite his usual play, especially when considering what he'd cost
Herro has no fear of the bright lights...so much so that unless MIA is hunting a real star, he's likely off the table
Monk, to my knowledge is untested...I really don't remember how he's fared in big moments with LAL or SAC

To me, the answer is Murray...I don't have a playoff resume to point to...but, it's clear, he's got the mental makeup to roll with Suggs and Paolo - along with the size, defense, and skillset. I'd throw a lot at ATL to grab him as a core member of this team. I think he's a winner and a fierce competitor. LAL is getting swept out of the playoffs and will likely come hard at ATL with whatever assets they can spare...I'd really like to beat them to it.

Murray can shoot, but he's not a true sniper...maybe we fill in with another guy like Caleb Martin...another guy who plays above his pay grade in big moments.

I'd love to add a real shot-blocking big man like Allen or Mobley or Claxton but we may have to prioritize our moves for now. I was definitely on-board with Isaac at C, but he's also just so incredibly disruptive on the perimeter. I still think he's our best Center on the roster today - but Mosley made the right move playing WCJ...because we just don't (on most nights-last night was nuts) have the offensive firepower in our backcourt.
The issue with Murray is Atlanta will want Suggs who would be the perfect fit next to Trae. I wouldn't give up Suggs for Murray. Too much risk on the chemistry side. If they want Black and Carter I'd be all for it.

Its not just about what the Hawks want though, its about what they can get. No one is giving them a good young player like Suggs. They will have to settle for what they can get, and if you look around the league, most teams are already set at PG and do not need Murray. Our biggest competition is probably going to be the Pelicans. The Pelicans could offer up Dyson Daniels, who probably has similar value to Black (probably less IMO). What the Pelicans can offer that we cant/wont is a really good vet in return. They could offer Ingram who should fit in well with them. Unless the Magic can find a 3rd team to take their assets, they cant offer someone that good.
We could sweeten the Carter + Black offer to the Hawks for Murray by adding Isaac and taking back Hunter. Hunter is over paid but seems like he could fill Isaac's role. Isaac's injury history scares me about investing in him long term.
Skybox
RealGM

Post#951 » by Skybox » Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:10 pm

CocoaFan wrote:
Residual-Heat wrote:
CocoaFan wrote:The issue with Murray is Atlanta will want Suggs who would be the perfect fit next to Trae. I wouldn't give up Suggs for Murray. Too much risk on the chemistry side. If they want Black and Carter I'd be all for it.

We could sweeten the Carter + Black offer to the Hawks for Murray by adding Isaac and taking back Hunter. Hunter is over paid but seems like he could fill Isaac's role. Isaac's injury history scares me about investing in him long term.

Isaac will always be a volatile issue...but NOBODY fill's his role. Hunter isn't bad...but nothing like Isaac.

When he had that pick-six and that goon Niang was tracking him last night... :o

There's an argument to sell high on Isaac while he's healthy and right before he gets another BIGGER deal...honestly, I'd do Isaac for Murray straight up, which I also like for ATL...maybe add AJ Griffin coming back and we add DEN 25.

Tough to discuss moving off Isaac while he looks so incredibly impactful...but when he goes down, we'll all be :banghead:
CocoaFan
Sophomore

Post#952 » by CocoaFan » Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:14 pm

Skybox wrote:ORL sends: WCJ to POR, Jett to ATL
ORL gets: Dejounte Murray, AJ Griffin, Robert Williams

ATL sends: Dejounte Murray, AJ Griffin to ORL
ATL gets: Jerami Grant, Jett Howard

POR sends: Jerami Grant to ATL, Robert Williams to ORL
POR gets: WCJ, tremendous cap relief

ATL rebalances roster without taking a step back.
POR continues rebuild with young versatile complement to Ayton and saves TREMENDOUS salary penalties
ORL adds backcourt punch at tremendous position of need, swaps shooters for Paolo's buddy, weaponizes salary to absorb Time-Lord
-Williams expires as extensions hit...if he plays-which he's expected to - he's a proven defensive machine.

...ORL lets Fultz, Ingles, Harris, Okeke, Goga walk...maybe still can get Hartenstein in FA - if price is reasonable.
...no picks added (is that reasonable-maybe DEN 25 to ATL or seconds?), draft McCain, Collier, Carter, Da Silva, Shannon...BPA

Hartenstein, M. Wagner, R. Williams (he moves way up when healthy-if not, oh well)
Paolo, Isaac
Franz, Griffin, Houstan
Suggs, Cole, Kevon or Queen
Murray, Black, frp
I like it, especially for Orlando and Atlanta. I just don't think Portland views Jerami Grant as a salary dump.
CocoaFan
Sophomore

Post#953 » by CocoaFan » Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:18 pm

Skybox wrote:
CocoaFan wrote:
Residual-Heat wrote:Its not just about what the Hawks want though, its about what they can get. No one is giving them a good young player like Suggs. They will have to settle for what they can get, and if you look around the league, most teams are already set at PG and do not need Murray. Our biggest competition is probably going to be the Pelicans. The Pelicans could offer up Dyson Daniels, who probably has similar value to Black (probably less IMO). What the Pelicans can offer that we cant/wont is a really good vet in return. They could offer Ingram who should fit in well with them. Unless the Magic can find a 3rd team to take their assets, they cant offer someone that good.

Isaac will always be a volatile issue...but NOBODY fill's his role. Hunter isn't bad...but nothing like Isaac.

When he had that pick-six and that goon Niang was tracking him last night... :o

There's an argument to sell high on Isaac while he's healthy and right before he gets another BIGGER deal...honestly, I'd do Isaac for Murray straight up, which I also like for ATL...maybe add AJ Griffin coming back and we add DEN 25.

Tough to discuss moving off Isaac while he looks so incredibly impactful...but when he goes down, we'll all be :banghead:
I like that even better. I might throw in Jett (or Cole Anthony ideally) for AJ Griffin. Jett pretty much gets blocked if we add AJ without getting rid of 1 of our sub guards.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,549

Post#954 » by Bensational » Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:24 pm

Skybox wrote:
Bensational wrote:Moe and Franz share an apartment together - Moe ain’t going anywhere as long as Franz is here. Plus, he’s good and a contributor to our identity.

This is what I'm afraid of...completely non-basketball reasons.

I like Mo. Not in a rush to trade him, but an active team on the trade market has to look at their options and he's got an $8m team option...we're moving out of the daycare phase of the rebuild.

this is his 4th team and ORL, by a mile, has paid him the highest salaried seasons in his career...I'm not anti-Mo, but I don't like the idea that he's untouchable for emotional reasons...he should be thanking ORL FO for their patience.

Just thinking...not looking to move him, just gauging the level of outrage to expect if one of our one-way deep bench guys making $8m were actually available as we try to move into a tighter, contending rotation.

Keeping one of your star players happy and comfortable is a basketball reason. But Moe is also a good contributor who helped lead one of the leagues strongest bench units this year, so there are other good basketball related reasons to keep him.

CORE
Paolo
Franz
Suggs

RSC
Black
Jett
Houstan

FA
Fultz
Harris
Goga
Chuma
Ingles (TO)
Moe Wag (TO)

TRADEABLE
Wendell
Cole
Isaac

I think Wendell, Cole and draft picks will be our main trade collateral - if the right deal comes up. That and using our cap space to absorb guys without sending much out.
Residual-Heat
Sixth Man

Post#955 » by Residual-Heat » Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:32 pm

CocoaFan wrote:
Residual-Heat wrote:
CocoaFan wrote:The issue with Murray is Atlanta will want Suggs who would be the perfect fit next to Trae. I wouldn't give up Suggs for Murray. Too much risk on the chemistry side. If they want Black and Carter I'd be all for it.

It must scare the Hawks too. Which means he probably doesnt have much value. Id rather give them a pick maybe they could use that in a separate trade.
T-Cat
Sixth Man
And1: 435

Post#956 » by T-Cat » Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:47 pm

Franz Wagner Mo Wagner WCJ for DeAndre Ayton, Shaedon Sharpe plus their 2024 lottery pick!
RichCollab
Starter
And1: 700

Post#957 » by RichCollab » Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:53 pm

T-Cat wrote:Franz Wagner Mo Wagner WCJ for DeAndre Ayton, Shaedon Sharpe plus their 2024 lottery pick!

You couldn’t pay me enough to add Ayton to my team. He seems fundamentally flawed to me from an intangibles standpoint.
BCS
Sixth Man
And1: 681

Post#958 » by BCS » Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:30 am

CocoaFan wrote:

Agreed, but if Atlanta is smart, they hit the reset button and do a full rebuild properly, meaning that they trade Trae and Murray for picks and young players, tank for a few years.

Sent from my SM-A716U using RealGM Forums mobile app
Trillen
Rookie
And1: 156

Post#959 » by Trillen » Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:50 am

BCS wrote:
CocoaFan wrote:

Agreed, but if Atlanta is smart, they hit the reset button and do a full rebuild properly, meaning that they trade Trae and Murray for picks and young players, tank for a few years.

Sent from my SM-A716U using RealGM Forums mobile app

Would be, if they hadn't given their 2025 first, option to swap in 2026, and 2027 first picks all unprotected to the Spurs in the Murray trade
Creativetran
Senior
And1: 282

Post#960 » by Creativetran » Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:39 am

thelead wrote:But… why would he? Why would he specifically want to be in Orlando?

Maybe he’s got gang ties to a gang in pine hills?

Return to Orlando Magic