ImageImageImageImage

Official Summer 2024 Magic Free Agency and Trade Ideas Thread 4.0

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,674

Re: Official Summer 2024 Magic Free Agency and Trade Ideas Thread 4.0 

Post#801 » by Skybox » Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:59 am

Re: Monk

He’s def played himself into a pay raise that SAC cannot give him - just cant. That also means they can’t even do a SnT.

Of the teams with sufficient cap space to give him $20m+, ORL really is the only team that makes a great fit and appealing opportunity, imo…but, if ORL chicken-@#*t FO gets cute with the offer, what is Monk (who loves SAC) to do?

CAN MONK SIMPLY SIGN A ONE YEAR DEAL WITH SAC and then go long-term next summer without the same $$ restrictions?

His family and agency will be angry with him for passing up his safest financial path, but there really aren’t great options for him outside of ORL this summer.
Skybox
RealGM

Post#802 » by Skybox » Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:23 pm

Skybox wrote:Re: Monk

He’s def played himself into a pay raise that SAC cannot give him - just cant. That also means they can’t even do a SnT.

Of the teams with sufficient cap space to give him $20m+, ORL really is the only team that makes a great fit and appealing opportunity, imo…but, if ORL chicken-@#*t FO gets cute with the offer, what is Monk (who loves SAC) to do?

CAN MONK SIMPLY SIGN A ONE YEAR DEAL WITH SAC and then go long-term next summer without the same $$ restrictions?

His family and agency will be angry with him for passing up his safest financial path, but there really aren’t great options for him outside of ORL this summer.

I'd also add that there would be considerable risk (for him) in a short term deal...the risk that he didn't cash in at an all-time value high - possibly even a perfectly-timed stroke of luck. Monk didn't just join the NBA. He's been good very recently and basically irrelevant for most of his career. There's a very real chance that a change of scenery reveals his weaknesses as much as we want to project total success in a bigger role. I believe in him, to an extent, and would be happy to "settle" for Monk (rather than Murray or Simons or Herro) if it works out...but there are concerns and also opportunities and leverage that could work in ORL's favor or be overplayed and blow up the whole thing.

Fun :D
axl_c_cool
Analyst
And1: 847

Post#803 » by axl_c_cool » Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:46 pm

The biggest thing with signing Monk (which I would) is that it pushes Suggs to PG full time. That means Banchero or Wagner have to play point forward. That’s something else I’m ok with if it adds shooting.

Suggs/Black/Antony
Monk/Howard
F.Wagner/Houston
Banchero/Isaac
WCJ/M.Wagner

The biggest question of that lineup is the centre position in my opinion.

What do you guys think?
FORMALLY LC MAGIC
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,216

Post#804 » by cedric76 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:22 pm

axl_c_cool wrote:The biggest thing with signing Monk (which I would) is that it pushes Suggs to PG full time. That means Banchero or Wagner have to play point forward. That’s something else I’m ok with if it adds shooting.

Suggs/Black/Antony
Monk/Howard
F.Wagner/Houston
Banchero/Isaac
WCJ/M.Wagner

What do you guys think?

No worries, that's old thinking, you r not pushing suggs at the PG position, you just have a line up with 2 guards, so you now have 4 players in the starting lineup that can pass the ball

And as we know, this team is built with multi skills players
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go
Offer Harris and goga a 1+1 deal

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic

Suggs, AB, Carter
Monk, Jett, Harris
Franz, Jett, Houstan
Paolo, Moe, (Cole trade)
Wcj, JI, goga
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,567

Post#805 » by Knightro » Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:26 pm

axl_c_cool wrote:The biggest thing with signing Monk (which I would) is that it pushes Suggs to PG full time. That means Banchero or Wagner have to play point forward. That’s something else I’m ok with if it adds shooting.

Suggs/Black/Antony
Monk/Howard
F.Wagner/Houston
Banchero/Isaac
WCJ/M.Wagner

What do you guys think?

Honestly? I think it's the exact opposite of what you said.

I don't think the Magic could give Monk for a deal that exceeds 25M per season without the plan being to play him on the basketball as a starting lead guard/starting point guard.

Monk had the basketball in his hands a LOT with the Kings. Monk averaged 30.6 front court touches per game, 52.8 touches overall, in just 26.0 minutes per game.

That is far more than Cole, Suggs, Fultz or Black averaged this past season for the Magic and actually exceeds Franz when you factor in minutes played.

Plus Monk averaged 9.6 AST/100 with the Kings this past year, which is more than Cole, Suggs or Fultz (throwing out the season where Markelle only played a tiny number of games due to injuries) have averaged at any point in their respective careers.

If Monk is signed, it's because the Magic feel like he's ready to run his own team IMO. You can't sign him for 100M or whatever it will take and use him like he's been used. There has to be some projection for more there or he shouldn't be signed.
RichCollab
Starter
And1: 679

Post#806 » by RichCollab » Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:54 pm

Suggs/Black/Antony
Monk/Howard
F.Wagner/Houston
Banchero/Isaac
WCJ/M.Wagner

What do you guys think?

Monk has had more playmaking responsibilities this year and has been better than Suggs.

Monk would be more the PG watching the Kings games this year.
cedric76
RealGM

Post#807 » by cedric76 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:04 pm

Not such things at a PG for the Magic, we ll have guards that can play make, welcome to 2024
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic

Suggs, AB, Carter
Monk, Jett, Harris
Franz, Jett, Houstan
Paolo, Moe, (Cole trade)
Wcj, JI, goga
Magic#1
General Manager
And1: 1,113

Post#808 » by Magic#1 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:47 pm

RichCollab wrote:

Suggs/Black/Antony
Monk/Howard
F.Wagner/Houston
Banchero/Isaac
WCJ/M.Wagner

What do you guys think?

Monk has had more playmaking responsibilities this year and has been better than Suggs.

After the year, Monk had, I mostly agree. His playmaking skyrocketed and he would play a lot of pg. At the same time, we're also moving more and more into positionless basketball. A Monk/Suggs backcourt would definitely make us better. While we have a low bar for shooting improvement, I do wish Monk was better than around the 35% mark. He'd be our best shooter as soon as he signs a contract, but he hasn't become the elite shooter some thought he would be coming in either.
cedric76
RealGM

Post#809 » by cedric76 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:58 pm

Magic#1 wrote:
RichCollab wrote:

Suggs/Black/Antony
Monk/Howard
F.Wagner/Houston
Banchero/Isaac
WCJ/M.Wagner

What do you guys think?

After the year, Monk had, I mostly agree. His playmaking skyrocketed and he would play a lot of pg. At the same time, we're also moving more and more into positionless basketball. A Monk/Suggs backcourt would definitely make us better. While we have a low bar for shooting improvement, I do wish Monk was better than around the 35% mark. He'd be our best shooter as soon as he signs a contract, but he hasn't become the elite shooter some thought he would be coming in either.

Monk was the leader of their second unit and opposing team were defending hard on him, playing with Franz and Paolo in first unit should give him plenty of open looks
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic

Suggs, AB, Carter
Monk, Jett, Harris
Franz, Jett, Houstan
Paolo, Moe, (Cole trade)
Wcj, JI, goga
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,567

Post#810 » by Knightro » Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:36 pm

Here's a stat...

Games with least 20 points on better than league average TS% (.580) this season.

Malik Monk: 21 times

Jalen Suggs, Markelle Fultz, Cole Anthony and Gary Harris COMBINED: 20 times
cedric76
RealGM

Post#811 » by cedric76 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:19 pm

Knightro wrote:Here's a stat...

Games with least 20 points on better than league average TS% (.580) this season.

Malik Monk: 21 times

Jalen Suggs, Markelle Fultz, Cole Anthony and Gary Harris COMBINED: 20 times

Sold
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic

Suggs, AB, Carter
Monk, Jett, Harris
Franz, Jett, Houstan
Paolo, Moe, (Cole trade)
Wcj, JI, goga
Skybox
RealGM

Post#812 » by Skybox » Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:32 pm

cedric76 wrote:Not such things at a PG for the Magic, we ll have guards that can play make, welcome to 2024

IF we sign one, we'll have one.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,800

Post#813 » by basketballRob » Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:04 pm

I keep thinking about Brogdon and Robert Williams for Cole and Wendell. I think Williams is in the mold of the type of center we need.

I like Royce O'Neal, too. I believe the Suns can only offer him around 2 years, $20m.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM Forums mobile app
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,326

Post#814 » by pepe1991 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:08 pm

basketballRob wrote:I keep thinking about Brogdon and Robert Williams for Cole and Wendell. I think Williams is in the mold of the type of center we need.

I like Royce O'Neal, too. I believe the Suns can only offer him around 2 years, $20m.

So... we trade Wendell ( who is injury prone) and Cole who is okey for... one of most injury prone players out there and another injury prone player?

Man, odds of ever having Suggs, Brogdon, Isaac and Williams together in playoffs are right there around zero.

Rob played 41 games ... in past two seasons combined. In his entire career he only menaged to play 62 games - once. In all other seasons he was out for near whole year.

Brogdon at average plays around 50 games.

Even if you like them as players ( i'm bit cold on Williams) their injury history, in combination to our injury prone players is death sentence. Too many broken players.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
jezzerinho
Starter
And1: 1,527

Post#815 » by jezzerinho » Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:14 pm

Brogdon is perfect on-court for Orl, but you can't sign him. Gets minor injuries at the drop of a hat. He's way too keen to look after himself. Won't take the court with a broken fingernail. Bad fit off court.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,800

Post#816 » by basketballRob » Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:25 pm

jezzerinho wrote:Brogdon is perfect on-court for Orl, but you can't sign him. Gets minor injuries at the drop of a hat. He's way too keen to look after himself. Won't take the court with a broken fingernail. Bad fit off court.
You could replace Brogdon with Simons, but we'd probably have to add our 1st.

JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,458

Post#817 » by JRoy » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:00 pm

basketballRob wrote:I keep thinking about Brogdon and Robert Williams for Cole and Wendell. I think Williams is in the mold of the type of center we need.

Zero interest in Cole for POR. The last thing we need is another tiny one way sg.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,639

Post#818 » by Skin » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:41 pm

Gimme Tyus Jones and Klay Thompson. That will narrow the gap, but still not be enough.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
magic22s
Junior
And1: 116

Post#819 » by magic22s » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:49 pm

cedric76 wrote:Not such things at a PG for the Magic, we ll have guards that can play make, welcome to 2024

Suns have many great shooters but position-less basketball hasn’t worked for them.

They were much better with Chris Paul when he was healthy.
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,542

Post#820 » by zzaj » Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:00 am

On the Portland board we are trying to figure out how to make a Simons for Black swap. Any interest at all from Orlando fans?

Return to Orlando Magic