ImageImageImageImage

Official Summer 2024 Magic Free Agency and Trade Ideas Thread 4.0

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

JoshuaPotter
Starter
And1: 681

Re: Official Summer 2024 Magic Free Agency and Trade Ideas Thread 4.0 

Post#21 » by JoshuaPotter » Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:18 pm

Knightro wrote:
eyriq wrote:Orlando's ESPN BPI is -0.1 while our actual margin of victory is 1.94. The computers really are not buying our success and the front office shouldn't, either.

But don’t say the phrase “fool’s gold”, because some people will squeal like a pig stuck under a gate.

This has been a very successful season. But I maintain what I’ve been saying for a while now that the Magic very obviously need significant personnel changes (at least 3 rotation upgrades and potentially 4+) to take the significant next step forward.

I prefer "overachieving" to "fools gold". At least in the context of how its been presented. Paolo, Franz, Suggs, JI (if healthy) make for a very interesting start of a "core" that I do not think is "fools gold" at all. Well maybe Isaac is the definition of fool and gold.

Point being, while I can agree that roster spots need to be upgraded, some of our positional upgrades aren't hard. 90% of our issues with Fultz / Harris could be addressed by signing 1 player who is good at defense and shooting off-ball who can play for 30 mpg reliably.

Salt and pepper the upside downside ride of WCJ, Goga and you might have a "fools gold" argument in one or both of those players somewhere.

In other words just to make you happy.

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
JoshuaPotter
Starter

Post#22 » by JoshuaPotter » Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:19 pm

drsd wrote:Orlando needs a veteran guard that can shoot consistently from deep. There is no other need to consider until that need is met.

Suggs will be a starter next year, so the Magic either needs an off-ball PG.
Names: Coby White, Monte Morris, or Payton Pritchard.

Or Suggs needs to be the off-ball PG meaning the Magic should go full 3D with the SG slot. There are probably 20 players that fit in here, as a bunch of "SFs" could play a 3D SG role for the Magic.
After the obvious fit of Anfernee Simons, to keep flogging his name, I cannot see a better choice than Luke Kennard in this role. But again, we could all rip off 20 names that slot in to what "Kennard" would give.

This and a power center upgrade who is available. At the moment I hear Goga is going to be a free agent. Maybe we can snag him.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,638

Post#23 » by Skybox » Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:25 pm

JoshuaPotter wrote:
Knightro wrote:
eyriq wrote:Orlando's ESPN BPI is -0.1 while our actual margin of victory is 1.94. The computers really are not buying our success and the front office shouldn't, either.

But don’t say the phrase “fool’s gold”, because some people will squeal like a pig stuck under a gate.

This has been a very successful season. But I maintain what I’ve been saying for a while now that the Magic very obviously need significant personnel changes (at least 3 rotation upgrades and potentially 4+) to take the significant next step forward.

I prefer "overachieving" to "fools gold". At least in the context of how its been presented. Paolo, Franz, Suggs, JI (if healthy) make for a very interesting start of a "core" that I do not think is "fools gold" at all. Well maybe Isaac is the definition of fool and gold.

Point being, while I can agree that roster spots need to be upgraded, some of our positional upgrades aren't hard. 90% of our issues with Fultz / Harris could be addressed by signing 1 player who is good at defense and shooting off-ball who can play for 30 mpg reliably.

Salt and pepper the upside downside ride of WCJ, Goga and you might have a "fools gold" argument in one or both of those players somewhere.

"overachieving" is a very fair substitute for "fool's gold" ...right up until the point that our success this year is used to justify doing nothing substantial this summer - then it's become "fool's gold".
JoshuaPotter
Starter

Post#24 » by JoshuaPotter » Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:44 pm

Skybox wrote:
JoshuaPotter wrote:
Knightro wrote:

"overachieving" is a very fair substitute for "fool's gold" ...right up until the point that our success this year is used to justify doing nothing substantial this summer - then it's become "fool's gold".

How very inconsiderate of you.....implying we won't do anything "substantial".

Cash inconsiderate.

As for now, if that is how you measure success. I would imagine you will not be a happy ma...woma....human come start of next season.

the challenge with the line of "anything substantial" is it is the very definition of "what I want." This is realGM though. So in that case you are allowed to imagine what you wan't.

I imagine what you want will probably be unrealistic. I do not see anyone wanting to play here yet that won't put is into salary cap hades.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,291

Post#25 » by eyriq » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:18 pm

Skybox wrote:
Knightro wrote:

Add "sunk cost" to the trigger list....and for a select few fans, "change" or "doubts". On my side of the ledger, you can get a rise out of me with "not skipping steps", "organic", and the prayerful use of "development".
Respectfully, calling rookies a sunk cost just sounds ignorant, my guy.
JoshuaPotter
Starter

Post#26 » by JoshuaPotter » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:20 pm

eyriq wrote:
Skybox wrote:
Knightro wrote:

Add "sunk cost" to the trigger list....and for a select few fans, "change" or "doubts". On my side of the ledger, you can get a rise out of me with "not skipping steps", "organic", and the prayerful use of "development".

Much cleaner to just say "We drafted busts and should move on. Get over it."
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#27 » by eyriq » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:24 pm

JoshuaPotter wrote:
eyriq wrote:
Skybox wrote:

Much cleaner. Gets at the heart of the intent. Calling them sunk costs while dancing around the implications of that is just trying to be too cute. Triggering cuteness.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,779

Post#28 » by Rafael122 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:24 pm

Wiz fan coming in peace. Over the last month it seems as though Poole is finally figuring things out. Tyus Jones has been out the last few weeks and it seems as though that's opened up Poole's game as he is has the ball in his hands and is initiating some plays.

Just throwing this out there, Poole for Isaac/Ingles/Denver's 2025 FRP. You guys are going to have a ton of cap space and can pretty much do whatever. You need shooting and playmaking though, so do you pay someone like Klay 30 million a year or 20 mil a year for Hield, or get someone who is still 24 years old, played with Mo, probably good friends with Franz and see if it works? You'll still have the cap space regardless to do something else, so it's not like Poole is the only move to make. He'd balance out the team. Thoughts?
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
p0peye
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,006

Post#29 » by p0peye » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:28 pm

Rafael122 wrote:Wiz fan coming in peace. Over the last month it seems as though Poole is finally figuring things out. Tyus Jones has been out the last few weeks and it seems as though that's opened up Poole's game as he is has the ball in his hands and is initiating some plays.

Just throwing this out there, Poole for Isaac/Ingles/Denver's 2025 FRP. You guys are going to have a ton of cap space and can pretty much do whatever. You need shooting and playmaking though, so do you pay someone like Klay 30 million a year or 20 mil a year for Hield, or get someone who is still 24 years old, played with Mo, probably good friends with Franz and see if it works? You'll still have the cap space regardless to do something else, so it's not like Poole is the only move to make. He'd balance out the team. Thoughts?

You'd have a hard time convincing me to take on Poole if you package 2 FRPs with him, let alone expecting to get assets from us. I see him as bad contract sinking team both financially and in standings, but that's just my opinion.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#30 » by eyriq » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:28 pm

Rafael122 wrote:Wiz fan coming in peace. Over the last month it seems as though Poole is finally figuring things out. Tyus Jones has been out the last few weeks and it seems as though that's opened up Poole's game as he is has the ball in his hands and is initiating some plays.

It's not too late to delete this
p0peye
Lead Assistant

Post#31 » by p0peye » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:29 pm

eyriq wrote:

Too late.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,779

Post#32 » by Rafael122 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:36 pm

p0peye wrote:

You'd have a hard time convincing me to take on Poole if you package 2 FRPs with him, let alone expecting to get assets from us. I see him as bad contract sinking team both financially and in standings, but that's just my opinion.

:lol: Fully realize his value is in the gutter right now, and the reputation he has isn't the best. I'm just throwing it out there, at the end of the day all you're giving up is a pick in the high 20s for a guy in the right situation might be able to help you guys.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#33 » by eyriq » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:05 pm

Rafael122 wrote:
p0peye wrote:

Fully realize his value is in the gutter right now, and the reputation he has isn't the best. I'm just throwing it out there, at the end of the day all you're giving up is a pick in the high 20s for a guy in the right situation might be able to help you guys.
We want to start JI, not trade him.
p0peye
Lead Assistant

Post#34 » by p0peye » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:09 pm

Rafael122 wrote:
p0peye wrote:

:lol: Fully realize his value is in the gutter right now, and the reputation he has isn't the best. I'm just throwing it out there, at the end of the day all you're giving up is a pick in the high 20s for a guy in the right situation might be able to help you guys.

Again, rising team has no use for bad contracts and I view Poole as a guy you better cut than introduce to your rotation, hence suggesting you need to give up assets to a team to take that contract off you guys. So, in my opinion that story ends there.

On another hand, if you want to acquire Isaac, you probably have noticed based on his play (if you actually watched Magic) or boxscore / advanced stats that he is the guy that transform this team when he is actually on the floor. This implies valuable assets going to us in return and I don't see there is anyone on your roster we would value as such. We don't have bad contracts to offload to you, thus you can potentially only offer FRPs for Isaac (with a salary filler) and not expect to get anything other than him from us.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,375

Post#35 » by Knightro » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:16 pm

Rafael122 wrote:Just throwing this out there, Poole for Isaac/Ingles/Denver's 2025 FRP.

Isaac is the most impactful player on the team by wide margin. There's a 0.0% chance the Magic will trade him *and* assets for someone like Poole. Sorry.
JoshuaPotter
Starter

Post#36 » by JoshuaPotter » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:18 pm

p0peye wrote:
eyriq wrote:

Too late.

Appreciate you coming in peace. Unfortunately, Isaac is a hidden gem. Otherwise, pass.
Skybox
RealGM

Post#37 » by Skybox » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:22 pm

eyriq wrote:
JoshuaPotter wrote:
eyriq wrote:Respectfully, calling rookies a sunk cost just sounds ignorant, my guy.

Much cleaner. Gets at the heart of the intent. Calling them sunk costs while dancing around the implications of that is just trying to be too cute. Triggering cuteness.

Two entirely different takes on "sunk costs"...I guess we went to different business schools...mine was unemotional or even evaluation-based...just "in the past", no longer a factor in decisions going forward...a couple of you guys have different definitions and that's ok with me. He's not a bust or a regrettable picks, IMO, but whether he was selected 6th or 26th isn't a factor in acknowledging that this team needs a lead guard now to take another step and AB, if he is the guy, won't be the guy for a few years. He can get more time as a solid backup than he's getting now as a regular DNP...but that doesn't mean he has to start.

JPot...are you getting paid by the post now? I want in - I always thought we needed some kind of reason to post other than boredom. :noway:
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#38 » by eyriq » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:24 pm

Skybox wrote:
eyriq wrote:
JoshuaPotter wrote:

Two entirely different takes on "sunk costs"...I guess we went to different business schools...mine was unemotional or even evaluation-based...just "in the past", no longer a factor in decisions going forward...a couple of you guys have different definitions and that's ok with me. He's not a bust or a regrettable picks, IMO, but whether he was selected 6th or 26th isn't a factor in acknowledging that this team needs a lead guard now to take another step and AB, if he is the guy, won't be the guy for a few years. He can get more time as a solid backup than he's getting now as a regular DNP...but that doesn't mean he has to start.

JPot...are you getting paid by the post now? I want in - I always thought we needed some kind of reason to post other than boredom. :noway:

My posting rate is pretty high lately, matches my love for AB.
Skybox
RealGM

Post#39 » by Skybox » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:26 pm

eyriq wrote:
Skybox wrote:
eyriq wrote:Much cleaner. Gets at the heart of the intent. Calling them sunk costs while dancing around the implications of that is just trying to be too cute. Triggering cuteness.

I hardly ever post. :D I'm checking myself in to Pepe's monastery...he seems a lot happier now :lol:
p0peye
Lead Assistant

Post#40 » by p0peye » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:31 pm

eyriq wrote:
Skybox wrote:
eyriq wrote:Much cleaner. Gets at the heart of the intent. Calling them sunk costs while dancing around the implications of that is just trying to be too cute. Triggering cuteness.

I fully support being in love.

It cleanly explains why people ignore reality.

Return to Orlando Magic