ImageImageImageImage

Official Summer 2024 Magic Free Agency and Trade Ideas Thread 4.0

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,146

Re: Official Summer 2024 Magic Free Agency and Trade Ideas Thread 4.0 

Post#921 » by tiderulz » Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:35 pm

eyriq wrote:
tiderulz wrote:I dont want to hear anyone talk about bringing in DeAngelo Russell.
He'd be a huge upgrade over Cole.

Cole has his warts, but he tries and fights hard. Russell was eating food and scrolling on his phone, with his team facing being down 0-3, with 0 points. and just 1 game removed from going 6-20, 1-9 from 3. he is an empty stats guy
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#922 » by tiderulz » Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:36 pm

CarraT wrote:
tiderulz wrote:I dont want to hear anyone talk about bringing in DeAngelo Russell.

Buy low :D

and expect low. he will disappear when you need him
CarraT
Senior
And1: 192

Post#923 » by CarraT » Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:43 pm

tiderulz wrote:
CarraT wrote:

Buy low :D

and expect low. he will disappear when you need him

He is not my first choice. But id rather have him than staying put. Despite his flaws, hes still a massive upgrade to our current backcourt. Thats saying more about our backcourt than about his talent.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,477

Post#924 » by eyriq » Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:52 pm

tiderulz wrote:
eyriq wrote:

Cole has his warts, but he tries and fights hard. Russell was eating food and scrolling on his phone, with his team facing being down 0-3, with 0 points. and just 1 game removed from going 6-20, 1-9 from 3. he is an empty stats guy
Hmmm, he may not be a culture fit. Can't handle the bright lights either.
RichCollab
Starter
And1: 697

Post#925 » by RichCollab » Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:20 pm

drsd wrote:
RichCollab wrote:Replace Fultz with Monk and sign a vet Center in the FA market and that’s all I need this offseason. Keep our assets.

Fixed.

By the way, there is G-Harris, Bitadze, and Okeke to also replace in your strategy. Maybe the 3rd-stringer rookie is one of those three and LLE vets for the others.

I don’t think Center the position we need to address this off-season via free agency. It’s taking your eye off the ball.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#926 » by eyriq » Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:54 pm

I'm firmly in the trade JI camp. Camp of 1?
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,911

Post#927 » by thelead » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:05 pm

eyriq wrote:I'm firmly in the trade JI camp. Camp of 1?

No… dude played great last night. Why would you trade him?
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#928 » by cedric76 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:07 pm

Definitely on your own :-)
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go
Offer Harris and goga a 1+1 deal

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic

Suggs, AB, Carter
Monk, Jett, Harris
Franz, Jett, Houstan
Paolo, Moe, (Cole trade)
Wcj, JI, goga
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,247

Post#929 » by Optimus_Steel » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:21 pm

And the previous game he made like 7 3s. It happens. Big upgrade for us.
aka: prorl
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#930 » by eyriq » Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:01 pm

thelead wrote:

He's injury prone and too good to be a bench player, might be able to flip him into a starter that fits.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,833

Post#931 » by basketballRob » Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:17 pm

eyriq wrote:
thelead wrote:

He's injury prone and too good to be a bench player, might be able to flip him into a starter that fits.
We wouldn't have made the playoffs without him this season, and our defense isn't nearly as good without him.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM Forums mobile app
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#932 » by tiderulz » Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:18 pm

Optimus_Steel wrote:

And the previous game he made like 7 3s. It happens. Big upgrade for us.

and in the game before that one, he was 6-20, 1-9 from 3. is he an upgrade? yes. can you count on him? no. is he mentally weak? yes. do you want him around your young players? no.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#933 » by eyriq » Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:19 pm

basketballRob wrote:
eyriq wrote:
thelead wrote:No… dude played great last night. Why would you trade him?
We wouldn't have made the playoffs without him this season, and our defense isn't nearly as good without him.

I don't agree, he wasn't even top 10 in minutes.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,833

Post#934 » by basketballRob » Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:26 pm

eyriq wrote:
basketballRob wrote:
eyriq wrote:He's injury prone and too good to be a bench player, might be able to flip him into a starter that fits.

I don't agree, he wasn't even top 10 in minutes.
I know he made a huge impact in low minutes.

MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 13,147

Post#935 » by MagicMatic » Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:29 pm

Depends entirely on the return.

And the only reason I entertain that idea is because Paolo should be playing 90% of the time anyway.

As good as JI is.. its very hard to justify paying a guy with his track record the amount of money he makes as a second unit guy that plays the same position as Paolo. Anything less than a package with a fringe star, then we are better off keeping him.
Residual-Heat
Sixth Man
And1: 1,071

Post#936 » by Residual-Heat » Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:30 pm

JI can come off the bench and is able to play with WCJ/Mo/Paolo in the front court depending on the match up. It would be a mistake to trade him IMO. We can get another starter using our other assets/capspace. No need to give up JI.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,694

Post#937 » by Skybox » Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:10 pm

It's all about "For Who?"

Right now you are solo :lol:

this is worthy of discussion...also, factor that he's now going to be up for a raise, even with limited minutes, right when the Big 3 rookie extensions are coming online...

Suggs got himself a raise last night too. He was always going to get paid, but he's made a case for his big-game heroics on top of in-season improvement. I mention this because that's now FOUR big deals coming soon, which might be one too many while the offense is still subpar. Could be tough decisions...I say add a stud guard this summer and figure it all out over the coming couple of seasons...but, as awesome as he is, depending on his salary expectations and outside interest, Isaac COULD be the odd man out.
CocoaFan
Sophomore
And1: 65

Post#938 » by CocoaFan » Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:32 pm

Skybox wrote:Now that we're getting a good look at playoff intensity and we're facing a very significant summer...I think it's important to not settle or accept a marginal improvement. One significant improvement in the backcourt can't be "under-done". Some guys fold mentally, regardless of skillsets, stats, etc.

Paolo is the real f@#*ing thing. Suggs is too. Franz is fine...let's make sure the next guy(s) added are legit DAWGS.

DLo is a proven marshmallow when it counts
Garland, as someone pointed out earlier, is iffy - despite his usual play, especially when considering what he'd cost
Herro has no fear of the bright lights...so much so that unless MIA is hunting a real star, he's likely off the table
Monk, to my knowledge is untested...I really don't remember how he's fared in big moments with LAL or SAC
Simons...the same, as far as I know

To me, the answer is Murray...I don't have a playoff resume to point to...but, it's clear, he's got the mental makeup to roll with Suggs and Paolo - along with the size, defense, and skillset. I'd throw a lot at ATL to grab him as a core member of this team. I think he's a winner and a fierce competitor. LAL is getting swept out of the playoffs and will likely come hard at ATL with whatever assets they can spare...I'd really like to beat them to it.

Murray can shoot, but he's not a true sniper...maybe we fill in with another guy like Caleb Martin...another guy who plays above his pay grade in big moments.

I'd love to add a real shot-blocking big man like Allen or Mobley or Claxton but we may have to prioritize our moves for now. I was definitely on-board with Isaac at C, but he's also just so incredibly disruptive on the perimeter. I still think he's our best Center on the roster today - but Mosley made the right move playing WCJ...because we just don't (on most nights-last night was nuts) have the offensive firepower in our backcourt.
The issue with Murray is Atlanta will want Suggs who would be the perfect fit next to Trae. I wouldn't give up Suggs for Murray. Too much risk on the chemistry side. If they want Black and Carter I'd be all for it.
CocoaFan
Sophomore
And1: 65

Post#939 » by CocoaFan » Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:39 pm

eyriq wrote:
He's a chemistry killer. Would be a terrible fit with our young guys.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,694

Post#940 » by Skybox » Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:46 pm

CocoaFan wrote:
Skybox wrote:Now that we're getting a good look at playoff intensity and we're facing a very significant summer...I think it's important to not settle or accept a marginal improvement. One significant improvement in the backcourt can't be "under-done". Some guys fold mentally, regardless of skillsets, stats, etc.

Paolo is the real f@#*ing thing. Suggs is too. Franz is fine...let's make sure the next guy(s) added are legit DAWGS.

DLo is a proven marshmallow when it counts
Garland, as someone pointed out earlier, is iffy - despite his usual play, especially when considering what he'd cost
Herro has no fear of the bright lights...so much so that unless MIA is hunting a real star, he's likely off the table
Monk, to my knowledge is untested...I really don't remember how he's fared in big moments with LAL or SAC
Simons...the same, as far as I know

To me, the answer is Murray...I don't have a playoff resume to point to...but, it's clear, he's got the mental makeup to roll with Suggs and Paolo - along with the size, defense, and skillset. I'd throw a lot at ATL to grab him as a core member of this team. I think he's a winner and a fierce competitor. LAL is getting swept out of the playoffs and will likely come hard at ATL with whatever assets they can spare...I'd really like to beat them to it.

Murray can shoot, but he's not a true sniper...maybe we fill in with another guy like Caleb Martin...another guy who plays above his pay grade in big moments.

I'd love to add a real shot-blocking big man like Allen or Mobley or Claxton but we may have to prioritize our moves for now. I was definitely on-board with Isaac at C, but he's also just so incredibly disruptive on the perimeter. I still think he's our best Center on the roster today - but Mosley made the right move playing WCJ...because we just don't (on most nights-last night was nuts) have the offensive firepower in our backcourt.
The issue with Murray is Atlanta will want Suggs who would be the perfect fit next to Trae. I wouldn't give up Suggs for Murray. Too much risk on the chemistry side. If they want Black and Carter I'd be all for it.

That would be probably be my offer...others could be available as well (Jett, Cole (bad fit for ATL), etc) but picks would be the primary asset...might have to look for a third party if ATL isn't hunting picks vs win-now guys...we know he'll be available and we should be aggressive, imo...we could get creative and also take back some short-term salary so ATL could be looking at another deal with more flexibility...as long as the money clears before Paolo and Isaac's extensions kick in.

Return to Orlando Magic