ImageImageImageImage

Official Summer 2024 Magic Free Agency and Trade Ideas Thread 4.0

Moderators: ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami

zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,196

Re: Official Summer 2024 Magic Free Agency and Trade Ideas Thread 4.0 

Post#1961 » by zaymon » Wed May 8, 2024 5:56 pm

orlando_joe wrote:
eyriq wrote:
doct3r dr3 wrote:Going into free agency, there seems to be agreement that the Magic need accurate, volume 3-point shooting from the guard position, without compromising their defensive identity. (Essentially, an upgrade at the Gary Harris position). I've compiled below some of the top 3-point shooting guards in free agency and sorted them by DBPM (an estimated measure of defensive impact).

Some players that stand out:

Gary Harris - At least according to DBPM, he is actually the best defender of the bunch by a good deal. The Magic would be wise not to sacrifice too much in the way of perimeter defense in the pursuit of upgrading the volume 3-point shooting, as this was a major part of the team's identity.

Kentavious Caldwell-Pope - A two-time NBA Champion, this 31-year-old veteran has the next-best DBPM of the bunch. His 3-point volume and accuracy are a bit better than Gary Harris'.

Buddy Hield - Seems to have the best combination of volume (6.8 3PA/G) and accuracy (.436 3P%), with above-average DBPM for this group.

Luke Kennard - A pretty stunning .450 3P%, on fairly high volume.

Klay Thompson - Four-time NBA Champion with the greatest pure shooting reputation of the bunch. Shot the highest volume, but not the greatest percentage, and DBPM was poor this year.

To my mind, it's not the end of the world if the Magic miss out on Paul George, Klay Thompson, and Malik Monk. There's still a chance to upgrade at guard with someone like KCP, Buddy Hield, or Luke Kennard, and maybe even have enough room to swing for a big like Nic Claxton or Isaiah Hartenstein.
Interesting options on there, nice work

so the answer is get gary harris more shots to me? other options not great improvement for the cost

Stop it right there, you make too much sense to be right. Will you also add that spot up shooters depend on their playmakers to get them the ball or you have some dignity left ?
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
RichCollab
Starter
And1: 717

Post#1962 » by RichCollab » Wed May 8, 2024 6:05 pm

orlando_joe wrote:
eyriq wrote:
doct3r dr3 wrote:Going into free agency, there seems to be agreement that the Magic need accurate, volume 3-point shooting from the guard position, without compromising their defensive identity. (Essentially, an upgrade at the Gary Harris position). I've compiled below some of the top 3-point shooting guards in free agency and sorted them by DBPM (an estimated measure of defensive impact).

Gary Harris - At least according to DBPM, he is actually the best defender of the bunch by a good deal. The Magic would be wise not to sacrifice too much in the way of perimeter defense in the pursuit of upgrading the volume 3-point shooting, as this was a major part of the team's identity.

Kentavious Caldwell-Pope - A two-time NBA Champion, this 31-year-old veteran has the next-best DBPM of the bunch. His 3-point volume and accuracy are a bit better than Gary Harris'.

Buddy Hield - Seems to have the best combination of volume (6.8 3PA/G) and accuracy (.436 3P%), with above-average DBPM for this group.

Klay Thompson - Four-time NBA Champion with the greatest pure shooting reputation of the bunch. Shot the highest volume, but not the greatest percentage, and DBPM was poor this year.

To my mind, it's not the end of the world if the Magic miss out on Paul George, Klay Thompson, and Malik Monk. There's still a chance to upgrade at guard with someone like KCP, Buddy Hield, or Luke Kennard, and maybe even have enough room to swing for a big like Nic Claxton or Isaiah Hartenstein.
Interesting options on there, nice work

so the answer is get gary harris more shots to me? other options not great improvement for the cost

Gary isn’t great at getting open or in a position to increase his volume.
orlando_joe
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,670

Post#1963 » by orlando_joe » Wed May 8, 2024 6:10 pm

RichCollab wrote:
orlando_joe wrote:
eyriq wrote:Interesting options on there, nice work

i think he can get 1 more shot a half i mean really..that puts him past a few in 3pa/g with best defense by far and more then 50% less money he would sign a 1/+1 for 12 a yr no long term money over giving 100 mill
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,798

Post#1964 » by Skybox » Wed May 8, 2024 6:32 pm

Residual-Heat wrote:Malik Monk cooking the NBA's best defensive team.
;t=21s&pp=ygUKbWFsaWsgbW9uaw%3D%3D

Malik Monk cooking the NBA's second best defensive team :lol:
;pp=ygUQbWFsaWsgbW9uayBtYWdpYw%3D%3D

I wanted to "and-1" it again but it wouldn't let me, so... :lol:

Pretty easy to see how smoothly that stuff would fit with our bigs and Suggs spotting up...could become a pretty elite offense overnight if I squint real hard. Murray's my favorite...but I'd be completely behind being on the phone with Monk when the FA period bell rings. Respect the fit. See the opportunity. Pay the man. Sign the man...let's go!
PrimeThyme
RealGM
And1: 14,456

Post#1965 » by PrimeThyme » Wed May 8, 2024 6:43 pm

I'm not sure that Malik Monk is actually the shooter people think he is. His 3-point field goal percentage is below the NBA average for his career. Not to mention his streakiness.

I can confidently say that even at this stage in his career, Klay is unequivocally the better shooter. If we are talking about three-year contracts with a team option in the third year, I'm taking Klay over Monk every day of the week.

The idea of Klay has seriously grown on me. He's an excellent locker room guy with endless big playoff experience. I love his fit. However, anything over two years fully guaranteed and I'm out.
BCS
Sixth Man
And1: 683

Post#1966 » by BCS » Wed May 8, 2024 6:57 pm

Skybox wrote:
Residual-Heat wrote:Malik Monk cooking the NBA's best defensive team.
;t=21s&pp=ygUKbWFsaWsgbW9uaw%3D%3D

Malik Monk cooking the NBA's second best defensive team
;pp=ygUQbWFsaWsgbW9uayBtYWdpYw%3D%3D

I wanted to "and-1" it again but it wouldn't let me, so...

Pretty easy to see how smoothly that stuff would fit with our bigs and Suggs spotting up...could become a pretty elite offense overnight if I squint real hard. Murray's my favorite...but I'd be completely behind being on the phone with Monk when the FA period bell rings. Respect the fit. See the opportunity. Pay the man. Sign the man...let's go!
That is how I see things, 1st option, draft day trade for Murray. If it doesn't happen, plan b and #1 priority should be signing Monk. The rest is extra.

Sent from my SM-A716U using RealGM Forums mobile app
Skybox
RealGM

Post#1967 » by Skybox » Wed May 8, 2024 7:00 pm

(1) Say goodbye to Fultz, Okeke, Harris, Ingles, Goga (unless Goga takes vet min)
(2) Draft BPA at #18
(3)Sign Monk for front-loaded 80m x 4 (figure start about 25m and descend?-I don't know the calcs)
(4) Don't get in bidding war for Hartenstein (we can't do both)...offer BRK SnT for Claxton and take Schroder too
ORL sends: WCJ, Cole Anthony, DEN 25 frp (sending out quality $25m in salary). Claxton would have to want to go to ORL.
BRK sends: Claxton (same deal as Monk above), Schroder ($13m expiring)
*so $63m coming in, $25m going out, Schroder expires just as Suggs/Wagner extensions kick in. Monk/Claxton deals descend.
**the added backcourt firepower makes Claxton's limited offense acceptable and his rim-protection makes defense a nightmare.

Claxton, Mo, Isaac
Paolo, Isaac, Mo
Franz, Black, Houstan
Suggs, Jett, Kevon or Queen
Monk, Schroder, Carter (#18)

#18 could be any position...Terrence Shannon, Da Silva, Ware...I think, ideally, a versatile wing, but I go BPA.
Schroder is a strong backup PG with obvious chemistry with the Wagners. He's got an expiring deal, so maybe Black or #18 moves ahead of him in a year or he thrives and stays. I wouldn't be afraid to draft a PG like Devin Carter or McCain or Collier (if he dropped) because AB can play 1-3 alongside a scorer - if needed. I see a tighter rotation next season and, hopefully, Isaac with less restrictions.
Skybox
RealGM

Post#1968 » by Skybox » Wed May 8, 2024 7:03 pm

PrimeThyme wrote:I'm not sure that Malik Monk is actually the shooter people think he is. His 3-point field goal percentage is below the NBA average for his career. Not to mention his streakiness.

I can confidently say that even at this stage in his career, Klay is unequivocally the better shooter. If we are talking about three-year contracts with a team option in the third year, I'm taking Klay over Monk every day of the week.

The idea of Klay has seriously grown on me. He's an excellent locker room guy with endless big playoff experience. I love his fit. However, anything over two years fully guaranteed and I'm out.

Suggs' career 3pt % is awful...but we're banking on recent performance as real...I do take notice that Monk hasn't always been THIS guy...that's why I've favored Simons...but Monk is so dynamic and seems to be ours for the taking -if we want him.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,817

Post#1969 » by Knightro » Wed May 8, 2024 7:04 pm

PrimeThyme wrote:I'm not sure that Malik Monk is actually the shooter people think he is. His 3-point field goal percentage is below the NBA average for his career. Not to mention his streakiness.

I don't think anyone has argued that Klay isn't the vastly superior shooter to Monk though. Like Klay is obviously the better shooter.

I think people who prefer Monk to Klay do so on the belief that Monk can do things off the dribble - score and facilitate easy buckets for others - at a high level, which is something the Magic EXTREMELY lack out of their backcourt.

Klay basically is nothing more than an upgraded (and it's debatable how much of an upgrade he really given how much Klay's defense has slipped) version of Gary. He doesn't provide any ball handling or on ball playmaking.

If you sign him, all the facilitating duties remain with Paolo, Franz and Suggs.

The entire appeal of Monk is for him to assume at least a good chunk of playmaking and facilitate duties away from the two 6'10" guys.
Skybox
RealGM

Post#1970 » by Skybox » Wed May 8, 2024 7:13 pm

Knightro wrote:

I don't think anyone has argued that Klay isn't the vastly superior shooter to Monk though. Like Klay is obviously the better shooter.

I think people who prefer Monk to Klay do so on the belief that Monk can do things off the dribble - score and facilitate easy buckets for others - at a high level, which is something the Magic EXTREMELY lack out of their backcourt.

Klay basically is nothing more than an upgraded (and it's debatable how much of an upgrade he really given how much Klay's defense has slipped) version of Gary. He doesn't provide any ball handling or on ball playmaking.

If you sign him, all the facilitating duties remain with Paolo, Franz and Suggs.

The entire appeal of Monk is for him to assume at least a good chunk of playmaking and facilitate duties away from the two 6'10" guys.

Klay's the best guy in the world. Everybody, rightfully loves him and his passion...

but how much better is he than a single tool guy like Kennard now?

I just don't like the idea of a young, defensively powerful team signing a guy who is kind of a shell of the HOFer he was. It feels like a retirement party. He'll go for 40 a few times and light up the headlines, but I don't know where that takes ORL over the course of a season.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,817

Post#1971 » by Knightro » Wed May 8, 2024 7:21 pm

Skybox wrote:Klay's the best guy in the world. Everybody, rightfully loves him and his passion...

I just don't like the idea of a young, defensively powerful team signing a guy who is kind of a shell of the HOFer he was. It feels like a retirement party. He'll go for 40 a few times and light up the headlines, but I don't know where that takes ORL over the course of a season.

Well... much like the Simons/Monk debate, Klay is preferable to Kennard (at least for me) because Klay would only cost money and Kennard would cost at least some level of asset to obtain.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,941

Post#1972 » by basketballRob » Wed May 8, 2024 7:28 pm

Knightro wrote:
Skybox wrote:Klay's the best guy in the world. Everybody, rightfully loves him and his passion...

Well... much like the Simons/Monk debate, Klay is preferable to Kennard (at least for me) because Klay would only cost money and Kennard would cost at least some level of asset to obtain.
Memphis has a team option, and they're close to the tax threshold.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM Forums mobile app
PrimeThyme
RealGM
And1: 14,456

Post#1973 » by PrimeThyme » Wed May 8, 2024 7:28 pm

Knightro wrote:I don't think anyone has argued that Klay isn't the vastly superior shooter to Monk though. Like Klay is obviously the better shooter.

There are certainly people arguing in favor of him being a good shooter, but the numbers do not reflect that reality.

As for the other areas, I think I'd have concerns about Malik being able to handle that role as a full-time starter for us. Some of the numbers last year from him playmaking-wise are encouraging, but I do think it's worth considering the role he played on Sac.

Malik's career surge has taken place as a sixth man off the bench, never eclipsing 26 MPG for Sacramento. He was highly effective at it, but I do wonder how a player like him, who struggles with consistency and has only started 38 career games, would look with that level of responsibility.

Personally, I do struggle automatically penciling him in for that role, but I'd agree that the idea in a perfect world is a good one.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,172

Post#1974 » by tiderulz » Wed May 8, 2024 8:17 pm

its not just a 3 pt shooter. we need a good point guard. Someone to help set the table, handle the ball some and make it easier for everyone else.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,172

Post#1975 » by tiderulz » Wed May 8, 2024 8:19 pm

PrimeThyme wrote:
Knightro wrote:I don't think anyone has argued that Klay isn't the vastly superior shooter to Monk though. Like Klay is obviously the better shooter.

There are certainly people arguing in favor of him being a good shooter, but the numbers do not reflect that reality.

As for the other areas, I think I'd have concerns about Malik being able to handle that role as a full-time starter for us. Some of the numbers last year from him playmaking-wise are encouraging, but I do think it's worth considering the role he played on Sac.

Malik's career surge has taken place as a sixth man off the bench, never eclipsing 26 MPG for Sacramento. He was highly effective at it, but I do wonder how a player like him, who struggles with consistency and has only started 38 career games, would look with that level of responsibility.

Personally, I do struggle automatically penciling him in for that role, but I'd agree that the idea in a perfect world is a good one.

Im hesitant to put Monk as a starter too, but i think this began when he started 37 games for LA, put up 17 ppg 4 rpg 3+ apg in 32 mpg. that is when it looked like his long development had finally paid off.
three3d
Junior
And1: 71

Post#1976 » by three3d » Wed May 8, 2024 8:20 pm

Not sure what Portland would want for Simons but I’m sure we can put together a package + picks for them. Suggs+Simons back court gives the offense a lift and keeps defense in tact, Simons also would probably always have an elite defensive player ( Suggs, Isaac, Franz ) on the court with him. Simons would be coming in to be the 2nd or 3rd option playing alongside two 6’10” forwards that can both get their own shot BUT need to have that guy that is also capable of setting up some plays and being a threat to shoot the 3.
Residual-Heat
Sixth Man
And1: 1,135

Post#1977 » by Residual-Heat » Wed May 8, 2024 8:42 pm

I dont think anyone is saying Monk is a great shooter, but 35.5 career 3pt% is decent. 37% off catch and shoot 3s this season, 38% last season. No doubt he spaces the floor for Paolo and Franz. When he played with Lebron, Monk shot 40% from 3.

Franz is going to HAVE to improve his 3pt shooting, and so does Paolo. That is going to be necessary to become a more efficient 3pt shooting team.

BTW, Monk plays alot with and against starters. Plays most of his time alongside Fox if im not mistaken. When Fox was injured, Monk's numbers were not affected.

When Monk played more than 30 MPG this season (14 games) he averaged 23PPG-7.4APG-4RPG On 40% 3pt shooting and near 60%TS. When Monk played more than 30 MPG in 2022-2023 (7 games) he averaged 28 PPG-5APG on well over 70%TS

His stats in LA? he performed better as a starter (37 games) averaging 17-4-3.3 on 60+TS%. When he played +30MPG he averaged over 19 PPG on +63 TS% on a decent sample size of 33 games.

Every time the guy was given a bigger role, he was more more efficient.
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,234

Post#1978 » by cedric76 » Wed May 8, 2024 8:42 pm

Read on Twitter
?t=G_u6HaZCpOjkhdl6zNZfhg&s=19
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go
Offer Harris and goga a 1+1 deal

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic

Suggs, AB, Carter
Monk, Jett, Harris
Franz, Jett, Houstan
Paolo, Moe, (Cole trade)
Wcj, JI, goga
RichCollab
Starter
And1: 717

Post#1979 » by RichCollab » Wed May 8, 2024 8:45 pm

orlando_joe wrote:
RichCollab wrote:
orlando_joe wrote:so the answer is get gary harris more shots to me? other options not great improvement for the cost

i think he can get 1 more shot a half i mean really..that puts him past a few in 3pa/g with best defense by far and more then 50% less money he would sign a 1/+1 for 12 a yr no long term money over giving 100 mill

Suggs guards the tougher player usually. Does that help Gary at all?

My biggest problem with Gary is availability.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,570

Post#1980 » by eyriq » Wed May 8, 2024 9:22 pm

If you consider each team's top 3 in PPG, within their top 5 in minutes played, and then look at the lowest scorer amongst those 3 core scorers, Suggs' 12.6 PPG would be #29 (out of 30).

Not great for a 3rd option.

For context, Grant Williams is last at 10.3 PPG, and McCullum is first at 20 PPG.

The median is 15.5 PPG

For USG% Suggs is #23 at 19.7%.

Median USG% is 22.1.

It'll be interesting to see if we run back Suggs as the third option and if he can increase his productivity.

Return to Orlando Magic