ImageImageImageImage

Official Summer 2024 Magic Free Agency and Trade Ideas Thread 4.0

Moderators: ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami

MagicTownBaller
Veteran
And1: 410

Re: Official Summer 2024 Magic Free Agency and Trade Ideas Thread 4.0 

Post#2001 » by MagicTownBaller » Wed May 8, 2024 11:30 pm

CocoaFan wrote:It seems like the majority of the board believes Monk or Murray are the most available and favored options for the Magic to obtain this offseason. Knowing Monk will cost no assets and Murray at a minimum would cost Black and 2-3 firsts which player would you prefer the Magic get and why?

Murray or Trae
Not changing this Sig until the Orlando Magic win a championship (Technically Started 1-30-08)
Residual-Heat
Sixth Man
And1: 1,134

Post#2002 » by Residual-Heat » Wed May 8, 2024 11:35 pm

CocoaFan wrote:It seems like the majority of the board believes Monk or Murray are the most available and favored options for the Magic to obtain this offseason. Knowing Monk will cost no assets and Murray at a minimum would cost Black and 2-3 firsts which player would you prefer the Magic get and why?

Id do 3 1sts for Murray, but not including Black. If that doesnt work, which is very possible, i would sign Monk.
CocoaFan
Sophomore
And1: 69

Post#2003 » by CocoaFan » Wed May 8, 2024 11:38 pm

Residual-Heat wrote:I dont think anyone is saying Monk is a great shooter, but 35.5 career 3pt% is decent. 37% off catch and shoot 3s this season, 38% last season. No doubt he spaces the floor for Paolo and Franz. When he played with Lebron, Monk shot 40% from 3.

Franz is going to HAVE to improve his 3pt shooting, and so does Paolo. That is going to be necessary to become a more efficient 3pt shooting team.

BTW, Monk plays alot with and against starters. Plays most of his time alongside Fox if im not mistaken. When Fox was injured, Monk's numbers were not affected.

When Monk played more than 30 MPG this season (14 games) he averaged 23PPG-7.4APG-4RPG On 40% 3pt shooting and near 60%TS. When Monk played more than 30 MPG in 2022-2023 (7 games) he averaged 28 PPG-5APG on well over 70%TS

His stats in LA? he performed better as a starter (37 games) averaging 17-4-3.3 on 60+TS%. When he played +30MPG he averaged over 19 PPG on +63 TS% on a decent sample size of 33 games.

Every time the guy was given a bigger role, he was more more efficient.
Good find. From this you could deduct that he's expected to be a microwave scorer off the bench so his shot selection isn't great and his efficiency goes down, but when he's a starter with more minutes and a bigger role he's more efficient and a more effective player. Contradicts most of the concerns on this board that his production may go down with a bigger role.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,797

Post#2004 » by Skybox » Wed May 8, 2024 11:41 pm

good news...our problems are solved:

1) Draft Devin Carter or McCain if he drops
2) Make this deal...
CLE sends: Mobley, Strus
CLE gets: Mikal Bridges
Assuming Mitchell is sticking around (or even if he's not), Bridges is that special 2-way SF every team wants and CLE has lacked. Paired with Allen, Garland, and Mitchell, they're improved and much better balanced. Even if Mitchell wants to go-he'll fetch a lot back and CLE will have a very nice young core to keep proceeding. Bridges could be the key to keeping Mitchell.

ORL sends: Anthony Black, ORL 25 frp, DEN 25 frp, ORL 27 frp
ORL gets: Mobley
ORL squints and sees rookie extension hell but that's the reality of an ultra-young, perfectly matched core. They'd still have plenty of cap to find that FA scoring Lead Guard this summer (Monk?) before working on THREE very large rookie extensions and Paolo's max next summer.

BRK sends: Mikal Bridges
BRK gets : Anthony Black, 3 frps from ORL
BRK will have a ton of cap space when Simmons expires. AB could become a solid counterbalance to Cam Thomas, while they rebuild through the draft. AB and a re-upped Claxton could form a sound, long, defensive foundation. IF Simmons comes around, he WAS All-NBA not too long ago....lotta picks

3) Sign Monk on the first minute of FA for a descending 4 year deal, averaging $20m. Sign a vet PG like Kris Dunn for a 2 yr team-friendly deal.

ORL Lineup to contend for a decade:

Mosley, WCJ, Mo
Paolo, Isaac, WCJ
Franz, Houstan
Suggs, Jett, Queen or Kevon
Monk, Devin Carter, Dunn

Young, defensive-minded, deep, versatile
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,816

Post#2005 » by Knightro » Thu May 9, 2024 12:07 am

This offseason boils down to a single two-part question basically...

Are you confident and comfortable with the progress Paolo and Franz have made as the primary facilitators for this team and would you like to see that continue?

If the answer is yes, then you are probably most interested in acquiring shooting and/or a center.

If the answer is no, then you are probably most interested in acquiring a lead guard.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,927

Post#2006 » by RookieStar » Thu May 9, 2024 12:07 am

Skybox wrote:good news...our problems are solved:

2) Make this deal...
Assuming Mitchell is sticking around (or even if he's not), Bridges is that special 2-way SF every team wants and CLE has lacked. Paired with Allen, Garland, and Mitchell, they're improved and much better balanced. Even if Mitchell wants to go-he'll fetch a lot back and CLE will have a very nice young core to keep proceeding. Bridges could be the key to keeping Mitchell.

ORL squints and sees rookie extension hell but that's the reality of an ultra-young, perfectly matched core. They'd still have plenty of cap to find that FA scoring Lead Guard this summer (Monk?) before working on THREE very large rookie extensions and Paolo's max next summer.

BRK will have a ton of cap space when Simmons expires. AB could become a solid counterbalance to Cam Thomas, while they rebuild through the draft. AB and a re-upped Claxton could form a sound, long, defensive foundation. IF Simmons comes around, he WAS All-NBA not too long ago....lotta picks

3) Sign Monk on the first minute of FA for a descending 4 year deal, averaging $20m. Sign a vet PG like Kris Dunn for a 2 yr team-friendly deal.

Mosley, WCJ, Mo
Paolo, Isaac, WCJ
Franz, Houstan
Monk, Devin Carter, Dunn

Yeah.. you have a player-coach in our starting lineup? I get that coach can wtill dunk and bang with Bamba... but you think he can handle the starting C full time?
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,048

Post#2007 » by fendilim » Thu May 9, 2024 12:28 am

MagicFan101 wrote:Crazy but super honest question …

I do like the idea of adding Malik Monk. I see the value 2024 Malik Monk adds to this roster.

However, early career Malik Monk struggled to contribute for a variety of reasons. We can blame some of that on the coaching staff he had early but consistency has always been a concern with him even today. As he has matured and the quality of teammates around him improved so did his ability to maintain his high level of play for longer periods of time and even have massive eruptions.

Here is my question:

Why can’t our own Cole Anthony have a similar career path?

Is there room for us to sign a guy like Monk and hang on to Cole as a guy who learns from him and eventually emerges as the Monk contract expires? Or is that selfish of the team and signing Monk means Cole should have a chance to flourish elsewhere?
it is around a 10million dollar difference.

We’re talking about a proven scorer vs someone who pontentially can be.

Assuming Cole will have the same career trajectory, are you willing to wait another year or two?

Mind you, Cole has shown less signs of being a dynamite scorer than Monk has.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,797

Post#2008 » by Skybox » Thu May 9, 2024 12:36 am

Knightro wrote:This offseason boils down to a single two-part question basically...

Are you confident and comfortable with the progress Paolo and Franz have made as the primary facilitators for this team and would you like to see that continue?

If the answer is yes, then you are probably most interested in acquiring shooting and/or a center.

If the answer is no, then you are probably most interested in acquiring a lead guard.

I dunno...I'd say I AM very comfortable with Franz and Paolo's progress as "significant" facilitators, but they're still not true PG-level, so add another "kind of PG" in the backcourt...it's unconventional, but I think it's working...just limited, as is. Monk, for example, isn't really a true PG, so between the three of them, there's enough facilitation and there's a real difficulty in locking down the offense by stifling one guy (like you can with many other teams).

I just don't believe it's enough as is but it's something to build on with more variation, not lessen Paolo & Franz' true strengths. That's why I hate the idea of Trae or another really ball-dominant PG.
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,657

Post#2009 » by Skin » Thu May 9, 2024 12:49 am

Murray because he's a better improvement and our draft picks will be low. I don't think Black is dynamic enough to ever become more than a role player.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,569

Post#2010 » by eyriq » Thu May 9, 2024 12:55 am

Knightro wrote:This offseason boils down to a single two-part question basically...

Love it, this is a very clean divide.

Building around two 6'10 playmaking wings is a lovely vision.
three3d
Junior
And1: 71

Post#2011 » by three3d » Thu May 9, 2024 1:01 am

eyriq wrote:

Love it, this is a very clean divide.

Building around two 6'10 playmaking wings is a lovely vision.

I just want to see someone come in and play a good pick and roll game with these two 6’10” studs honestly.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 8,035

Post#2012 » by drsd » Thu May 9, 2024 1:28 am

2) Make this deal...

Mosley, WCJ, Mo
Paolo, Isaac, WCJ
Franz, Houstan
Monk, Devin Carter, Dunn

Mobley is untradable for Cleveland. He is an all-defensive player in the NBA for many years to come, almost certainly. But more broadly, he has "it" in a context of being able to change a game. That's rare in he NBA.
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,505

Post#2013 » by MagicFan101 » Thu May 9, 2024 1:58 am

Knightro wrote:

I do like the idea of adding Malik Monk. I see the value 2024 Malik Monk adds to this roster.

However, early career Malik Monk struggled to contribute for a variety of reasons. We can blame some of that on the coaching staff he had early but consistency has always been a concern with him even today. As he has matured and the quality of teammates around him improved so did his ability to maintain his high level of play for longer periods of time and even have massive eruptions.

Here is my question:

Is there room for us to sign a guy like Monk and hang on to Cole as a guy who learns from him and eventually emerges as the Monk contract expires? Or is that selfish of the team and signing Monk means Cole should have a chance to flourish elsewhere?

Maybe he could. Maybe he couldn’t. Why wait around for him though?

The Magic are still trying to win as much as they can next year.

I completely get that thought process.

Hence I am 100% behind signing Malik Monk or someone like him.

My question is more along the lines of what if we use our cap space in a player like Monk …. Does that mean we HAVE TO give up on Cole and trade him? Or can we keep him and develop him along the same track Monk had?
MagicFan101
RealGM

Post#2014 » by MagicFan101 » Thu May 9, 2024 2:00 am

fendilim wrote:

Here is my question:

it is around a 10million dollar difference.

We’re talking about a proven scorer vs someone who pontentially can be.

Assuming Cole will have the same career trajectory, are you willing to wait another year or two?

Mind you, Cole has shown less signs of being a dynamite scorer than Monk has.

Sorry if I wasn’t clear.

I didn’t mean to imply Monk OR Cole.

I think I even asked if it was selfish to have BOTH vs let Cole thrive elsewhere.

Either way, the point is do we believe Cole can develop into such a player in time?
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#2015 » by Knightro » Thu May 9, 2024 2:20 am

MagicFan101 wrote:I completely get that thought process.

My question is more along the lines of what if we use our cap space in a player like Monk …. Does that mean we HAVE TO give up on Cole and trade him? Or can we keep him and develop him along the same track Monk had?

Cole doesn't make that much money all things considered, so the Magic could for sure keep him if they wanted to.

But IMO if you're giving Monk $22M AAV or more, he's absolutely starting in the backcourt alongside Suggs.

And wouldn't you prefer Anthony Black to get the nod as the primary backup PG over Cole?
drsd
RealGM
And1: 8,035

Post#2016 » by drsd » Thu May 9, 2024 3:24 am

Knightro wrote:Cole doesn't make that much money all things considered, so the Magic could for sure keep him if they wanted to.

But IMO if you're giving Monk $22M AAV or more, he's absolutely starting in the backcourt alongside Suggs.

And wouldn't you prefer Anthony Black to get the nod as the primary backup PG over Cole?

It is all the same for me about not trading Black and Howard before last season started. If they are going to be kept, what other option is their for management than to trade Anthony?

All the Magic need to do is draft D-Carter, resign Bitadze, reup M-Wagner and Isaac; and sign a new starting guard. (I am assuming from Ingles body language that he won't be retained). Let's call the new guard Monk. Well in that Anthony could be traded for a guy like Huerter.

Monk/Black/D-Carter
Suggs/Huerter/Howard
F-Wagner/Houstan
Banchero/Isaac
W-Carter/M-Wagner/Bitadze

Add a 3rd stringer combo forward on a LLE deal, and that could be the 2024/25 roster. I am not a fan per se. But it is a better collection of players than last year with more balance as well.
MagicFan101
RealGM

Post#2017 » by MagicFan101 » Thu May 9, 2024 3:34 am

Knightro wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:I completely get that thought process.

Cole doesn't make that much money all things considered, so the Magic could for sure keep him if they wanted to.

See!! You’re starting to get it!

I knew I could believe in you! Gold star for Knightro!

Now that you understand the conundrum, what do we prefer?
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#2018 » by Knightro » Thu May 9, 2024 3:43 am

MagicFan101 wrote:See!! You’re starting to get it!

I knew I could believe in you! Gold star for Knightro!

Now that you understand the conundrum, what do we prefer?

Personally? I find that Cole would be a little redundant if they sign Monk.

I'd want to bring a different look with Black's size, defense and spot shooting off the bench in that spot instead of bringing in another version of Monk in Cole.
dsg2021
Analyst
And1: 1,050

Post#2019 » by dsg2021 » Thu May 9, 2024 4:12 am

2) Make this deal...

Mosley, WCJ, Mo
Paolo, Isaac, WCJ
Franz, Houstan
Monk, Devin Carter, Dunn

I would be very interested in acquiring Mobley, assuming he isn't expecting some ridiculous extension or isn't mad about ORL waiting to match.

But if we are doing a deal that can basically net Mikal Bridges instead, you just take Mikal Bridges instead hah. Excepting for age a little bit, he is actually one of the most perfect fits to the Magic out there (for me, at least).

I can take both though, do the locked as underpaid WCJ as one of the centerpieces for Mobley (while CLE pivots to just one big man).

Finish it off by signing Monk away, and it's a bit of an all chips in one summer accidentally, but in the kind of way where I'm genuinely like, yeah we're doing this.

Mobley / Mo / Goga
Paolo / Isaac
Franz / Houstan
Mikal / Monk / Jett
Suggs / Devin

:onfire:
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,234

Post#2020 » by cedric76 » Thu May 9, 2024 6:27 am

drsd wrote:
Knightro wrote:Cole doesn't make that much money all things considered, so the Magic could for sure keep him if they wanted to.

It is all the same for me about not trading Black and Howard before last season started. If they are going to be kept, what other option is their for management than to trade Anthony?

All the Magic need to do is draft D-Carter, resign Bitadze, reup M-Wagner and Isaac; and sign a new starting guard. (I am assuming from Ingles body language that he won't be retained). Let's call the new guard Monk. Well in that Anthony could be traded for a guy like Huerter.

Monk/Black/D-Carter
Suggs/Huerter/Howard
F-Wagner/Houstan
Banchero/Isaac
W-Carter/M-Wagner/Bitadze

Add a 3rd stringer combo forward on a LLE deal, and that could be the 2024/25 roster. I am not a fan per se. But it is a better collection of players than last year with more balance as well.

I d love a Cole for huerter trade but Sacramento already have Ellis and Mitchell

I think Jett can get the minutes you d give to huerter

So I d sign Monk
Draft Carter
Offer 1+1 to Harris to be our 3rd SG (to play only if one of our guards is injured)

Trade cole for forward depth

Monk/Black/D-Carter
Suggs/Howard/Harris
F-Wagner/Houstan/Jett
Banchero/moe/ Cole trade
W-Carter/JI/Bitadze
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go
Offer Harris and goga a 1+1 deal

unleash Jett next seaon