ImageImageImageImage

Official Summer 2024 Magic Free Agency and Trade Ideas Thread 4.0

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,635

Re: Official Summer 2024 Magic Free Agency and Trade Ideas Thread 4.0 

Post#41 » by Skybox » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:31 pm

Rafael122 wrote:
p0peye wrote:
Rafael122 wrote:Wiz fan coming in peace. Over the last month it seems as though Poole is finally figuring things out. Tyus Jones has been out the last few weeks and it seems as though that's opened up Poole's game as he is has the ball in his hands and is initiating some plays.

Just throwing this out there, Poole for Isaac/Ingles/Denver's 2025 FRP. You guys are going to have a ton of cap space and can pretty much do whatever. You need shooting and playmaking though, so do you pay someone like Klay 30 million a year or 20 mil a year for Hield, or get someone who is still 24 years old, played with Mo, probably good friends with Franz and see if it works? You'll still have the cap space regardless to do something else, so it's not like Poole is the only move to make. He'd balance out the team. Thoughts?

You'd have a hard time convincing me to take on Poole if you package 2 FRPs with him, let alone expecting to get assets from us. I see him as bad contract sinking team both financially and in standings, but that's just my opinion.

:lol: Fully realize his value is in the gutter right now, and the reputation he has isn't the best. I'm just throwing it out there, at the end of the day all you're giving up is a pick in the high 20s for a guy in the right situation might be able to help you guys.

Run while you can...I've still got Poole marks tar and feathered on my butt from this crowd for pushing for him last summer. I really expected him to go crazy in WAS, with no handcuffs. I figured he'd be a legit candidate to win the scoring title (while losing but still...).

Isaac is so damn good...he might have been gettable in the summer, when his health was still a big question mark but he's having a great year and his impact is felt every moment on the court. He and Suggs are identity-setters for this team. I would have added a frp to your offer last summer - then Poole, inexplicably, fell off the Earth.
JoshuaPotter
Starter
And1: 681

Post#42 » by JoshuaPotter » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:32 pm

Skybox wrote:
eyriq wrote:
JoshuaPotter wrote:
Much cleaner to just say "We drafted busts and should move on. Get over it."
Much cleaner. Gets at the heart of the intent. Calling them sunk costs while dancing around the implications of that is just trying to be too cute. Triggering cuteness.

Two entirely different takes on "sunk costs"...I guess we went to different business schools...mine was unemotional or even evaluation-based...just "in the past", no longer a factor in decisions going forward...a couple of you guys have different definitions and that's ok with me. He's not a bust or a regrettable picks, IMO, but whether he was selected 6th or 26th isn't a factor in acknowledging that this team needs a lead guard now to take another step and AB, if he is the guy, won't be the guy for a few years. He can get more time as a solid backup than he's getting now as a regular DNP...but that doesn't mean he has to start.

JPot...are you getting paid by the post now? I want in - I always thought we needed some kind of reason to post other than boredom. :noway:

I clearly ran out of my favorite coffee and switched brands.

I see, flexing the ol degree.

Poking fun at my quantity and lack of quality of posts.

Saying I have nothing better to do.

Ouch.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,272

Post#43 » by eyriq » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:32 pm

Skybox wrote:
eyriq wrote:
Skybox wrote:
Two entirely different takes on "sunk costs"...I guess we went to different business schools...mine was unemotional or even evaluation-based...just "in the past", no longer a factor in decisions going forward...a couple of you guys have different definitions and that's ok with me. He's not a bust or a regrettable picks, IMO, but whether he was selected 6th or 26th isn't a factor in acknowledging that this team needs a lead guard now to take another step and AB, if he is the guy, won't be the guy for a few years. He can get more time as a solid backup than he's getting now as a regular DNP...but that doesn't mean he has to start.

JPot...are you getting paid by the post now? I want in - I always thought we needed some kind of reason to post other than boredom. :noway:

My posting rate is pretty high lately, matches my love for AB.

I hardly ever post. :D I'm checking myself in to Pepe's monastery...he seems a lot happier now
I think about the Magic for free way too much and spend money to watch... help

JK, it's called a hobby. We need your trade machinations.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#44 » by eyriq » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:34 pm

p0peye wrote:
eyriq wrote:
Skybox wrote:

My posting rate is pretty high lately, matches my love for AB.

I fully support being in love.

It cleanly explains why people ignore reality.

Indeed. Make believe is what makes us human.
Skybox
RealGM

Post#45 » by Skybox » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:34 pm

JoshuaPotter wrote:
Skybox wrote:
eyriq wrote:Much cleaner. Gets at the heart of the intent. Calling them sunk costs while dancing around the implications of that is just trying to be too cute. Triggering cuteness.

Ouch.

Just messing with you, although the coffee story works- you've escalated lately. You can tell by my post count I'm in the same boat. :lol:

I know you all get worried about me if my handle isn't all over the thread summary. People be calling the ER's
JoshuaPotter
Starter

Post#46 » by JoshuaPotter » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:42 pm

Skybox wrote:
JoshuaPotter wrote:
Skybox wrote:

Ouch.

Just messing with you, although the coffee story works- you've escalated lately. You can tell by my post count I'm in the same boat. :lol:

I know you all get worried about me if my handle isn't all over the thread summary. People be calling the ER's

It's all good, i'm neck deep between breathing exercises, work, and my vomit thoughts from last nights game.

Imagine, rather then posting any thoughts during the game, post game interview, I now have to throw my thought vomit against the wall the next morning.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,834

Post#47 » by RookieStar » Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:14 pm

Rafael122 wrote:Wiz fan coming in peace. Over the last month it seems as though Poole is finally figuring things out. Tyus Jones has been out the last few weeks and it seems as though that's opened up Poole's game as he is has the ball in his hands and is initiating some plays.

Just throwing this out there, Poole for Isaac/Ingles/Denver's 2025 FRP. You guys are going to have a ton of cap space and can pretty much do whatever. You need shooting and playmaking though, so do you pay someone like Klay 30 million a year or 20 mil a year for Hield, or get someone who is still 24 years old, played with Mo, probably good friends with Franz and see if it works? You'll still have the cap space regardless to do something else, so it's not like Poole is the only move to make. He'd balance out the team. Thoughts?

Run while you can, Il hold off the horde.

Seriously though, you can't ask for JI now, you had a better chance before the season started
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,112

Post#48 » by tiderulz » Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:48 am

Rafael122 wrote:
p0peye wrote:

You'd have a hard time convincing me to take on Poole if you package 2 FRPs with him, let alone expecting to get assets from us. I see him as bad contract sinking team both financially and in standings, but that's just my opinion.

:lol: Fully realize his value is in the gutter right now, and the reputation he has isn't the best. I'm just throwing it out there, at the end of the day all you're giving up is a pick in the high 20s for a guy in the right situation might be able to help you guys.

and taking his undeserved contract with low BBIQ
MasterGMer
Veteran
And1: 585

Post#49 » by MasterGMer » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:27 am

Jett Howard is "Sunk Cost"? Are you serious? Comom, man, his lack of playing time is largely due to we are competing this season and his back and forth with G league team is actually going to be good for him in the long run. Watch out. I still believe he is the solution to our 2 guard spot in the future. One season won't tell you anything especially rookie season. Comon, bud
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#50 » by eyriq » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:37 am

MasterGMer wrote:Jett Howard is "Sunk Cost"? Are you serious? Comom, man, his lack of playing time is largely due to we are competing this season and his back and forth with G league team is actually going to be good for him in the long run. Watch out. I still believe he is the solution to our 2 guard spot in the future. One season won't tell you anything especially rookie season. Comon, bud
I blame knightro for introducing the concept in relation to AB and Jett. But anyway.

We need a starting guard and center and a backup guard and forward. You've got the development pipeline, free agency, and WCJ + draft capital. What are the moves?
Skybox
RealGM

Post#51 » by Skybox » Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:11 am

MasterGMer wrote:Jett Howard is "Sunk Cost"? Are you serious? Comom, man, his lack of playing time is largely due to we are competing this season and his back and forth with G league team is actually going to be good for him in the long run. Watch out. I still believe he is the solution to our 2 guard spot in the future. One season won't tell you anything especially rookie season. Comon, bud

1. Did anybody say that?

2. look up "sunk f**king costs", how difficult is this concept?
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#52 » by eyriq » Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:31 am

Skybox wrote:

1. Did anybody say that?

Bro, give it up. Chatgpt is free. I'm embarrassed for you at this point.
Skybox
RealGM

Post#53 » by Skybox » Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:12 pm

eyriq wrote:
Skybox wrote:

1. Did anybody say that?

There’s a reason it’s free…a player or item is not and cannot BE a sunk COST…what you gave to acquire him is SUNK - as in gone, non-recoverable, history. It has no reflection on player or item’s current value or even what you can get for him. Econ 101- I’m going to start charging you for this…

Extending the concept into who or what somebody does or doesn’t become is completely removed from what it means…but run with it.
Skybox
RealGM

Post#54 » by Skybox » Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:41 pm

Skybox wrote:
eyriq wrote:
Skybox wrote:
1. Did anybody say that?

There’s a reason it’s free…a player or item is not and cannot BE a sunk COST…what you gave to acquire him is SUNK - as in gone, non-recoverable, history. It has no reflection on player or item’s current value or even what you can get for him. Econ 101- I’m going to start charging you for this…

Extending the concept into who or what somebody does or doesn’t become is completely removed from what it means…but run with it.

Last mention of definition of "Sunk Cost" (from me)...I guess everyone can have their own definitions. My brother is color blind, so he believes Blue is Green.

Sunk costs: Money you already spent shouldn't influence your decision about what to do next, but for psychological reasons, it often does.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,990

Post#55 » by MagicMatic » Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:57 pm

Skybox wrote:
eyriq wrote:
Skybox wrote:
1. Did anybody say that?

Jett Howard is only a bad pick if he never materializes into a guy that plays legitimate minutes in Orlando OR cannot get us a return on the market.

Orlando has shown under this FO that they will sooner completely eat a bad picks value up before they move them in the first 2-3 seasons. Bamba and Hezonja are those examples. Other teams find packages earlier to get some kind of value.

We just don’t know yet with Jett Howard. However, things aren’t looking good when you have 2-3 rotation guys out at your position and they’d sooner not even have you enter the game off the bench. Pretty bad indicator for a #11 pick.

TLDR; Orlando isn’t moving Jett. This isn’t the organization to do it regardless of if it makes sense on paper.
JoshuaPotter
Starter

Post#56 » by JoshuaPotter » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:06 pm

Skybox wrote:
Skybox wrote:
eyriq wrote:Bro, give it up. Chatgpt is free. I'm embarrassed for you at this point.

Last mention of definition of "Sunk Cost" (from me)...I guess everyone can have their own definitions. My brother is color blind, so he believes Blue is Green.

Sunk costs: Money you already spent shouldn't influence your decision about what to do next, but for psychological reasons, it often does.

I think the problem here skybox is you are trying to turn realgm into a classroom of fine respectable humans that used to be categorized as "ladies and gentlemen".

I always got the idea of sunk cost. I'm just not sure that....

- All sunk costs are the same
- Every team has the opportunity of a sunk cost in a 1st round pick, but not all 1st round picks have the same opportunity assigned to them.
- Every team has to do something with their picks.

Let's apply the term sunk costs to what its being applied to. Our "last two draft picks" of the 2023 year into the 2024 season. It seems very premature to define the 1st round pick as a sunk cost this early in the game. Unless, that is in fact your point the whole time, since the "sunk cost" could be the very second the commissioner announces a name.

Now, i'm just begging the question since you are applying economy 101 into a realgm forum of fellow neanderthals. Are you applying the phrase "sunk cost" to go out and justify getting your guy? Because in reality. That is all you seem to be doing.

I'm back to my favorite coffee. Hope you are well today.
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,190

Post#57 » by cedric76 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:11 pm

30 wins - 16 losses when Gary Harris is playing

Front office know the kind of player we need to win next to p5-franz and suggs

Jett s defense is underated, he is not a poor Defender, can he get better? Of course

Easy summer - pick up option on Joe and Moe
Offer a 1+1 to Gary
Try to offer goga a 1+1

Suggs -AB - Cole
Jett - Harris
Franz -houstan -joe
Paolo-ji-moe
Wcj-ji -moe

Sign a G in free agency
Draft PBA (likely a f/c)
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go
Offer Harris and goga a 1+1 deal

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic

Suggs, AB, Carter
Monk, Jett, Harris
Franz, Jett, Houstan
Paolo, Moe, (Cole trade)
Wcj, JI, goga
JoshuaPotter
Starter

Post#58 » by JoshuaPotter » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:14 pm

cedric76 wrote:30 wins - 16 losses when Gary Harris is playing

Jett s defense is underated, he is not a poor Defender, can he get better? Of course

Offer a 1+1 to Gary

Suggs -AB - Cole
Jett - Harris
Franz -houstan -joe
Paolo-ji-moe
Wcj-ji -moe

Sign a SG in free agency

This is likely closer to reality then a lot of us think.
Skybox
RealGM

Post#59 » by Skybox » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:21 pm

JoshuaPotter wrote:
Skybox wrote:
Skybox wrote:

I think the problem here skybox is you are trying to turn realgm into a classroom of fine respectable humans that used to be categorized as "ladies and gentlemen".

I always got the idea of sunk cost. I'm just not sure that....

- All sunk costs are the same
- Every team has the opportunity of a sunk cost in a 1st round pick, but not all 1st round picks have the same opportunity assigned to them.
- Every team has to do something with their picks.

Let's apply the term sunk costs to what its being applied to. Our "last two draft picks" of the 2023 year into the 2024 season. It seems very premature to define the 1st round pick as a sunk cost this early in the game. Unless, that is in fact your point the whole time, since the "sunk cost" could be the very second the commissioner announces a name.

Now, i'm just begging the question since you are applying economy 101 into a realgm forum of fellow neanderthals. Are you applying the phrase "sunk cost" to go out and justify getting your guy? Because in reality. That is all you seem to be doing.

I'm back to my favorite coffee. Hope you are well today.

Honestly, I don't know what the hell I'm aiming at with this anymore...just reacting to a couple of people being butthurt that I called AB a sunk cost...which, I'm foolishly trying to clarify, I didn't - because that's not how the term works.

If I'm trying to make a point about it, it's that the fact that AB or Jett or Fultz or anybody was picked at wherever they were picked is irrelevant in assessing what we need to do next. Specifically, if AB isn't ready to be our PG yet (or if he's not even a PG), we should not worry about his "rights" as a #6 pick...we should go get the player we need...some here are factoring in some possible diminishing of his value by being blocked from playing as an extension of "sunk costs"...I foolishly have tried to clarify that my understanding of "sunk cost" doesn't extend that far (and shouldn't). It's kind of gotten to Monty Python level silliness.

Class is cancelled...worthless direction. We need a guard that can score and create. That guard should play right in front of AB. Maybe in a year or two, AB will take his job. More likely, that guard will allow AB to be moved around in the rotation to find his best spot. That's all.
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,092

Post#60 » by yoyojw17 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:37 pm

cedric76 wrote:30 wins - 16 losses when Gary Harris is playing

Offer a 1+1 to Gary
Try to offer goga a 1+1

Suggs -AB - Cole
Jett - Harris
Franz -houstan -joe
Paolo-ji-moe
Wcj-ji -moe

Sign a G in free agency
Draft PBA (likely a f/c)

Not sure if Joe will be back. I think room will be made for other players.... or he does return and will hit the 3rd string and be ready to just help the team grow from the shadows.

But I agree with you... this will not be the biggest and flashiest of off-seasons and I am going to be fine with that too. We have to re-up on a lot of these players soon... and having that available wiggle room will be important if they already love where we are going.

And also agreed. I don't think Jetts defense is as bad as it is assumed. From what I understood.... defense was more of his skill coming into college... and in college offense was just his main focus. Injuries played a part in his lone season.... but I believe he has the potential to play effective to great on both sides of the court.

I see goga returning as well. If you like what Claxton does.... you should also respect goga as well.... and this was just his first true season to be given a chance to impact the team. He gives a different dimension compared to Dell and Moe..... and I think there is still more to uncover. At some point one of them might have to go.... but theres no rush now before all these rookie contracts go up.

And AB.... in my opinion..... is taking a different Suggs type route. Unlike Suggs "he sucked" cuz he tried to do too much while getting accustomed to the league... AB has "sucked" because he has shown too little as he gets used to the league. Wouldn't be surprised that people will be singing a different tune even by year 2

Return to Orlando Magic