ImageImageImageImage

2023-2024 Regular Season Game 79: Orlando Magic (46-32) at Houston Rockets (38-40) - 8pm

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,502

Re: 2023-2024 Regular Season Game 79: Orlando Magic (46-32) at Houston Rockets (38-40) - 8pm 

Post#661 » by Knightro » Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:42 pm

Paolo/Carter as a pairing has been bad (-1.1 NET)

But Carter pairs very well with Franz (+4.0 NET) and Suggs (+3.1 NET).

Tbh with you... the primary culprit dragging down most of the lineups is Paolo.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,315

Re: 2023-2024 Regular Season Game 79: Orlando Magic (46-32) at Houston Rockets (38-40) - 8pm 

Post#662 » by pepe1991 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:45 pm

basketballRob wrote:
Bergmaniac wrote:As I've said before, a non-shooting big who sets good screens and is a very good offensive rebounder can still be a part of a good offense even in the modern NBA because he is stll a significant threat as a roller and can grab plenty of boards when his man leaves him to help.

Wendell's spacing is more theoretical anyway, he is left wide open at the three point line all the freaking time and no wonder since he makes only 1.2 threes per game. Smart teams won't stop packing the paint because of this. Even on a hot shotting night he never makes more than 3 threes. He hasn't made more than 3 threes in a game all season and has 16 games games with 0 made threes compared with only 8 games with 3 made threes. Smart defenses will live with his occassional three if that's the price for packing the paint and limiting the offensive boards.
Wendell on the 3-pt line just means fewer possessions because of offensive rebounding. Paolo also plays better with a center in the dunkers' spot. He had way more dump offs to Mark Williams at Duke than he's had with Wendell in 2 seasons. Goga has a better feel for the game. Goga in this starting lineup has a net rating of 19.1.

The game last night was over when Houston decided to attack the paint.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM mobile app

Goga isn't nba starter . Period. He is hardly rotation big.

Whole offensive rebounding thing is irrelevant in modern basketball. Hawks & Blazers are 2 of top 4 teams in offensive rebounds. That really does wonders for their offense. Said nobody ever.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#663 » by Knightro » Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:45 pm

thelead wrote:Mosley is a good coach. He earned his extension. He deserves to be the team’s coach for the foreseeable future… but his offense sucks and it’s not just the players. It’s his strategy and his rotations.

I feel like it's 80/20 or 70/30 personnel at fault compared to coaching, but if you read this board most people would think it's flipped the other way.

It's human nature though. As expectation levels rises, tolerance levels decrease.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,756

Post#664 » by basketballRob » Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:53 pm

Knightro wrote:Paolo/Carter as a pairing has been bad (-1.1 NET)

But Carter pairs very well with Franz (+4.0 NET) and Suggs (+3.1 NET).

Tbh with you... the primary culprit dragging down most of the lineups is Paolo.
Carter and Paolo are also redundant. Ironically, one of the players they compared Paolo to when he was drafted was Wendell. Both are primarily face-up players that occupy the same space on the floor.

Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#665 » by Knightro » Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:00 pm

Fair or unfair, this team does have a bit of a Paolo problem.

He's 11th on the team in NET rating, ahead of only Black, Houstan, Jett and Okeke of the 15 full contract guys.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,756

Post#666 » by basketballRob » Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:02 pm

Knightro wrote:Fair or unfair, this team does have a bit of a Paolo problem.

He's 11th on the team in NET rating, ahead of only Black, Houstan, Jett and Okeke of the 15 full contract guys.
He does play all but 13 minutes per game.

Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#667 » by Knightro » Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:10 pm

Embiid 1st in USG%, 1st in EPM
Luka 2nd in USG%, 3rd in EPM
Giannis 3rd in USG%, 4th in EPM
Ant 4th in USG%, 20th in EPM
LaMelo 5th in USG%, 33rd in EPM
SGA 6th in USG%, 2nd in EPM
Wemby 7th in USG%, 22nd in EPM
Brunson 8th in USG%, 7th in EPM
Curry 9th in USG%, 12th in EPM
Mitchell 10th in USG%, 11th in EPM

JJJ 11th in USG%, 115th in EPM
Cade 13th in USG%, 132nd in EPM
Kuzma 14th in USG%, 209th in EPM

Tatum 15th in USG%, 13th in EPM

Cam Thomas 16th in USG%, 238th in EPM

Trae 17th in USG%, 46th in EPM

Paolo 18th in USG%, 125th in EPM

He is one of the least impactful high usage players in the league. The only guys worse are dudes (JJJ, Cade, Kuz, Cam) who have free reign on awful tanking basketball teams.

Paolo has the profile of a guy playing on like a 20-win team. Yet I think that is being overlooked because the Magic are 46-33.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,363

Post#668 » by eyriq » Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:19 pm

Knightro wrote:Embiid 1st in USG%, 1st in EPM
Luka 2nd in USG%, 3rd in EPM
Giannis 3rd in USG%, 4th in EPM
Ant 4th in USG%, 20th in EPM
LaMelo 5th in USG%, 33rd in EPM
SGA 6th in USG%, 2nd in EPM
Wemby 7th in USG%, 22nd in EPM
Brunson 8th in USG%, 7th in EPM
Curry 9th in USG%, 12th in EPM
Mitchell 10th in USG%, 11th in EPM

JJJ 11th in USG%, 115th in EPM
Cade 13th in USG%, 132nd in EPM
Kuzma 14th in USG%, 209th in EPM

Tatum 15th in USG%, 13th in EPM

Cam Thomas 16th in USG%, 238th in EPM

Trae 17th in USG%, 46th in EPM

Paolo 18th in USG%, 125th in EPM

He is one of the least impactful high usage players in the league. The only guys worse are dudes (JJJ, Cade, Kuz, Cam) who have free reign on awful tanking basketball teams.

Paolo has the profile of a guy playing on like a 20-win team. Yet I think that is being overlooked because the Magic are 46-33.
It's overlooked because he helps us win games, transformed our Identity, and completed our search for a franchise player.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#669 » by Knightro » Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:24 pm

eyriq wrote:It's overlooked because he helps us win games, transformed our Identity, and completed our search for a franchise player.

So things that can't be tangibly proven as fact?
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#670 » by eyriq » Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:27 pm

Knightro wrote:
eyriq wrote:It's overlooked because he helps us win games, transformed our Identity, and completed our search for a franchise player.

Sweater vest points, usage, front office statements, counting stats, and better lineup analysis than you've done

Also the eye ball test
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#671 » by Knightro » Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:29 pm

eyriq wrote:
Knightro wrote:

Sweater vest points, usage, front office statements, counting stats, and better lineup analysis than you've done

Also the eye ball test

It KILLS me that you cite this unironically man.

Stop it :lol:
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#672 » by eyriq » Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:30 pm

Knightro wrote:
eyriq wrote:
Knightro wrote:

Also the eye ball test

It KILLS me that you cite this unironically man.

Stop it
I'm sincere that's it's a valid metric and I've already explained why, i.e., it's a survey
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,839

Post#673 » by thelead » Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:48 pm

Knightro wrote:
thelead wrote:Mosley is a good coach. He earned his extension. He deserves to be the team’s coach for the foreseeable future… but his offense sucks and it’s not just the players. It’s his strategy and his rotations.

I feel like it's 80/20 or 70/30 personnel at fault compared to coaching, but if you read this board most people would think it's flipped the other way.

It's human nature though. As expectation levels rises, tolerance levels decrease.

Personnel is absolutely the bigger issue, yes, but that doesn’t absolve Mosley from everything. There are a lot of low IQ things going on and he needs to coach them up or bench them.
JoshuaPotter
Starter
And1: 694

Post#674 » by JoshuaPotter » Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:16 pm

eyriq wrote:
Knightro wrote:

Also the eye ball test

The eye ball test of the usage rate is so painfully obvious.

Paolo is the only player given a free pass on offense. My hypothesis is they are seeing if he is the PG of the future. I don't know why I need to keep saying it when the USG rates are right there in front of us. We think we have another version of Luka on our hands.

This is why when Franz / Suggs doesn't feel it their usage rates plummet. The FGA stop happening. They disappear on offense. In Suggs case sometimes even from the game.

If Franz & Suggs had the same green light Paolo did on the offense I think their efficiency stats would plummet.

- Is this the coach doing this?
- Is it Franz / Suggs mentality?
- Is Paolo a ball dominant ball hog to need to be effective?
- Can all of these reasons be true at the same time?
- Does Eyriq have any version updates so I can fill this line with something else?
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,661

Post#675 » by Skybox » Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:38 pm

Can't believe all of the piling-on with Paolo...the guy LITERALLY carried this dead-ass offense on his back all season to an unexpected degree of success - of course he's burning out :nonono: Just wait until the trade demands come if the FO doesn't get him some help - I can already hear how he sucks anyway - when he finally gets frustrated with his expected 1 on 5 offense to work out every possession. I guess Michael Jordan was a bum because he didn't win anything until Pippen and Grant showed up.

No defense for the FO. They shouldn't get a pass for being pleasantly surprised at how far the team progressed...they're supposedly mapping it all out. Why pat them on the back and give them another pass for sitting on their hands when the offensive needs are SO BLINDINGLY glaring?

Yay...we're competing for a top seed (at least until this week)...IF you're running a race and find yourself way ahead of your expected rivals, do you slow down and congratulate yourself or keep going? (also consider how bad your rivals - other than BOS - have been playing and how many are injured)...we should be pleased but far from satisfied. This team is nowhere near as good as its present spot in the standings. (For a change) we have enjoyed a year free of significant injuries to important players while noone else below us has. There are half a dozen teams presently seeded below us that probably would be favored against ORL in a series. I hope we get it together and show some fight in the remaining games but don't expect next year's projections to include any further ascendance unless we add some "ready-to-contribute" talent.

Credit to Mosely for making things happen with handcuffs on. Big Credit to Suggs for breaking out.
JoshuaPotter
Starter
And1: 694

Post#676 » by JoshuaPotter » Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:45 pm

Skybox wrote:Can't believe all of the piling-on with Paolo...the guy LITERALLY carried this dead-ass offense on his back all season to an unexpected degree of success - of course he's burning out :nonono: Just wait until the trade demands come if the FO doesn't get him some help - I can already hear how he sucks anyway - when he finally gets frustrated with his expected 1 on 5 offense to work out every possession. I guess Michael Jordan was a bum because he didn't win anything until Pippen and Grant showed up.

No defense for the FO. They shouldn't get a pass for being pleasantly surprised at how far the team progressed...they're supposedly mapping it all out. Why pat them on the back and give them another pass for sitting on their hands when the offensive needs are SO BLINDINGLY glaring?

Yay...we're competing for a top seed (at least until this week)...IF you're running a race and find yourself way ahead of your expected rivals, do you slow down and congratulate yourself or keep going? (also consider how bad your rivals - other than BOS - have been playing and how many are injured)...we should be pleased but far from satisfied. This team is nowhere near as good as its present spot in the standings. (For a change) we have enjoyed a year free of significant injuries to important players while noone else below us has. There are half a dozen teams presently seeded below us that probably would be favored against ORL in a series. I hope we get it together and show some fight in the remaining games but don't expect next year's projections to include any further ascendance unless we add some "ready-to-contribute" talent.

Credit to Mosely for making things happen with handcuffs on. Big Credit to Suggs for breaking out.

Naw, Mosely doesn't get a pass for his malpractice.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#677 » by eyriq » Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:48 pm

JoshuaPotter wrote:
Skybox wrote:Can't believe all of the piling-on with Paolo...the guy LITERALLY carried this dead-ass offense on his back all season to an unexpected degree of success - of course he's burning out :nonono: Just wait until the trade demands come if the FO doesn't get him some help - I can already hear how he sucks anyway - when he finally gets frustrated with his expected 1 on 5 offense to work out every possession. I guess Michael Jordan was a bum because he didn't win anything until Pippen and Grant showed up.

Honestly, I think everyone should get an A+ with the exception being the offense, which gets a C.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#678 » by Knightro » Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:51 pm

Mosley gets an A.

The players get an A.

The front office gets an F.

My two cents.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,661

Post#679 » by Skybox » Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:56 pm

eyriq wrote:
JoshuaPotter wrote:

Honestly, I think everyone should get an A+ with the exception being the offense, which gets a C.

Half of the players are not legit offensive threats, whether that's "anymore" or "yet" or "ever were". You can put their grade on themselves or FO if you want. Defense is great and that's why ORL is so far along this season, but I'd be happy to see 4 or more new faces on the active roster (including Jett) next season.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#680 » by eyriq » Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:58 pm

Knightro wrote:Mosley gets an A.

The players get an A.

The front office gets an F.

My two cents.
I imagine the F is based on allowing Harris and Fultz to become expiring contracts, using both lotto picks without a clear path to playing time, re-signing Cole (maybe?), and re-tool era baggage (?).

What's the critique?

Return to Orlando Magic