ImageImageImageImage

Time for new ownership

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

RichCollab
Starter
And1: 667

Re: Time for new ownership 

Post#21 » by RichCollab » Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:19 pm

The timing of this is off?

Best FO in 10s of years.
Playoff team going forward
Great drafting
Good use of resources
We have a true #1 again.
Message Boar
Veteran
And1: 1,743

Post#22 » by Message Boar » Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:21 pm

Strange timing for a thread like this, indeed.

That being said, I've rated our ownership as below-average in the league for a long while now, especially with some other bad owners leaving. I don't know, they're not worst or anything, and they seem very hands-off. But I just really question their commitment to winning; to bringing a championship to the city of Orlando (the younger generations, not Rich DeVos necessarily, God rest him). I just get the impression they're kinda fine bringing in that NBA money, regardless of how mediocre the team is. Now obviously we've had some good periods under DeVos ownership, and we're looking at another upswing.

But, I don't agree with the OP that our frustrations with the front office should make us upset at ownership for not firing the FO or forcing them to make moves. They're by all accounts in the hands-off category of owners, so my expectations for them is to hire the best people to lead the organization, to evaluate the decisionmakers, and to make changes when necessarily. Yes, I'm concerned with what AB and Jett are (not) showing their first year, but it's only year 1. I disagree with your notion that it's not realistic they can be marginal rotation players for us next year. And, despite my frustrations, you have to admit FO has done some good too. Getting the Paolo/Franz/Suggs core, hiring Mosley. Leading to two consecutive 12-win improvements like someone has noted.

Now, much like this front office, while I was frustrated with the lack of moves/help this season and last offseason, I'm willing to give it until this offseason. Their (probable) arguments would be that this is a very young team with good chemistry that is seemingly ahead of schedule, and I can see why they would just want to ride it out for now. However, I demand big moves this offseason while we have the cap space/trade chips, to get the team (much) more of the stuff this team is clearly missing. Failure to do so will sour me on the front office, and relatedly, the ownership too.

Lastly, even if moves are made, I hope the DeVosses are willing to pony up the luxury tax if and when we're close to being a contender, and sadly I'm kind of skeptical of that.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,846

Post#23 » by RookieStar » Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:22 pm

Pretty entitled sounding...

Forcing someone to sell something they own/have....
three3d
Junior
And1: 55

Post#24 » by three3d » Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:18 pm

Message Boar wrote:Strange timing for a thread like this, indeed.

That being said, I've rated our ownership as below-average in the league for a long while now, especially with some other bad owners leaving. I don't know, they're not worst or anything, and they seem very hands-off. But I just really question their commitment to winning; to bringing a championship to the city of Orlando (the younger generations, not Rich DeVos necessarily, God rest him). I just get the impression they're kinda fine bringing in that NBA money, regardless of how mediocre the team is. Now obviously we've had some good periods under DeVos ownership, and we're looking at another upswing.

But, I don't agree with the OP that our frustrations with the front office should make us upset at ownership for not firing the FO or forcing them to make moves. They're by all accounts in the hands-off category of owners, so my expectations for them is to hire the best people to lead the organization, to evaluate the decisionmakers, and to make changes when necessarily. Yes, I'm concerned with what AB and Jett are (not) showing their first year, but it's only year 1. I disagree with your notion that it's not realistic they can be marginal rotation players for us next year. And, despite my frustrations, you have to admit FO has done some good too. Getting the Paolo/Franz/Suggs core, hiring Mosley. Leading to two consecutive 12-win improvements like someone has noted.

Now, much like this front office, while I was frustrated with the lack of moves/help this season and last offseason, I'm willing to give it until this offseason. Their (probable) arguments that this is a very young team with good chemistry that is seemingly ahead of schedule, I can see why they would just ride it out for now. However, I demand big moves this offseason while we have the cap space/trade chips, to get the team (much) more of the stuff this team is clearly missing. Failure to do so will sour me on the fron offfice, and relatedly, the ownership too.

Lastly, even if moves are made, I hope the DeVosses are willing to pony up the luxury tax if and when we're close to being a contender, and sadly I'm kind of skeptical of that.

Very well stated and I agree with all of what you said. I’ve been concerned with the lack of expectations this franchise has seemed to have for several seasons now and how losing and being in the lottery had become acceptable. It hasn’t sat well with me at all, I personally have become tired of believing in this team year in and out just to be let down by owners and a FO that don’t care.
three3d
Junior

Post#25 » by three3d » Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:19 pm

msmoore66 wrote:We are a very entitled bunch aren't we. Enjoy being relevant again.

Enjoy the wash, rinse and repeat
three3d
Junior

Post#26 » by three3d » Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:21 pm

RookieStar wrote:Pretty entitled sounding...

I simply want to see my favorite basketball team finally win a championship, if it takes new ownership to get that done so be it.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,941

Post#27 » by drsd » Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:21 pm

Orlando overachieved by about 10 games this season. Evey thing is fine; so long as guard shooting is addressed in the offseason.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,475

Post#28 » by Bensational » Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:13 pm

Time for new fans. The total lack of appreciation for a great season is disgusting.
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#29 » by RookieStar » Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:22 pm

three3d wrote:
RookieStar wrote:Pretty entitled sounding...

I simply want to see my favorite basketball team finally win a championship, if it takes new ownership to get that done so be it.

Ooorrrr.... you could root for a new team/owner?
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#30 » by RookieStar » Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:23 pm

Bensational wrote:Time for new fans. The total lack of appreciation for a great season is disgusting.

Agreed. This enviroment right now is up to par when we were ascending during the d12 era. Something not even Tmacs era made us feel.

We should appreciate everything because we are farther ahead than we thought we should be
CZ Eddie
Starter
And1: 806

Post#31 » by CZ Eddie » Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:52 am

I appreciate having the DeVos' as Orlando Magic ownership.
Keep your politics out of my sports
drsd
RealGM

Post#32 » by drsd » Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:46 am

CZ Eddie wrote:I appreciate having the DeVos' as Orlando Magic ownership.

Ownership has DEEP pockets and Martins is excellent at finding the corporate deals that make the team profitable. Not really sure Magic fans can ask for better owners.
JBSouthpaw
Analyst
And1: 1,274

Post#33 » by JBSouthpaw » Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:52 am

drsd wrote:
CZ Eddie wrote:I appreciate having the DeVos' as Orlando Magic ownership.

Ownership has DEEP pockets and Martins is excellent at finding the corporate deals that make the team profitable. Not really sure Magic fans can ask for better owners.

Agree. Only thing I really care about from an owner is willingness to spend. THAT is something that has always happened here, and we take for granted as a smaller market team.
JoshuaPotter
Starter
And1: 681

Post#34 » by JoshuaPotter » Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:56 pm

drsd wrote:Orlando overachieved by about 10 games this season. Evey thing is fine; so long as guard shooting is addressed in the offseason.

...but they were all of them, deceived.
JoshuaPotter
Starter

Post#35 » by JoshuaPotter » Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:59 pm

Long story made short. I respect your opinion.

I at the same time say that part of being a fan of this organization is hitting them in the incompetence feels as we all have no idea what it takes to run an organization much less an NBA team of players. Just briefly saying the quiet part out loud.

Being a fan, is like watching a soap opera unfold. Making the same mistakes over and over again, finding a star player, divorcing a star player, and trying to find the next darling young man to take out on a date.

Lastly, don't forget to stay here. Half of the fun I get from posting here is reading all the different opinions and having a good laugh. Because this is just an outlet for me.
drsd
RealGM

Post#36 » by drsd » Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:25 pm

JoshuaPotter wrote:Long story made short. I respect your opinion.

I at the same time say that part of being a fan of this organization is hitting them in the incompetence feels as we all have no idea what it takes to run an organization much less an NBA team of players. Just briefly saying the quiet part out loud.

Being a fan, is like watching a soap opera unfold. Making the same mistakes over and over again, finding a star player, divorcing a star player, and trying to find the next darling young man to take out on a date.

Lastly, don't forget to stay here. Half of the fun I get from posting here is reading all the different opinions and having a good laugh. Because this is just an outlet for me.

If I had 3B, I'd be up for ownership. I think I would be a great Magic owner; a Mark Cuban type owner. The league needs a lot more of those types.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,306

Post#37 » by eyriq » Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:38 pm

For some reason I read the first line and instantly thought of the Clinton vs Trump epic rap battle of history line "let me just say that I respect all females, but your rhymes are trash. Put them next to your emails."
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#38 » by RookieStar » Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:53 pm

drsd wrote:

If I had 3B, I'd be up for ownership. I think I would be a great Magic owner; a Mark Cuban type owner. The league needs a lot more of those types.

LOL I don't think 3B is enough for a NBA team nowadays...
JoshuaPotter
Starter

Post#39 » by JoshuaPotter » Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:10 pm

RookieStar wrote:
drsd wrote:

LOL I don't think 3B is enough for a NBA team nowadays...

When I win my billions @DRSD you can be my GM....

Rookiestar and eyriq will be my draft scouts....

knightro can be the hype man. Not sure what position that is nowadays.

Anyone up for towel boy?
three3d
Junior

Post#40 » by three3d » Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:23 pm

Bensational wrote:Time for new fans. The total lack of appreciation for a great season is disgusting.

Have we all gotten so use to being horrible and losing that having a season like this is a victory equivalent to winning an NBA championship

Return to Orlando Magic