ImageImageImageImage

Time for new ownership

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

three3d
Junior
And1: 55

Time for new ownership 

Post#1 » by three3d » Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:20 pm

The DeVos family is the fifth longest tenured owners in the NBA behind Lakers, Pacers, Bull’s and the Trail Blazers and I don’t see how anything will ever change till some new blood is in control of this franchise. These billionaires buying teams are coming in with the expectation of winning and growing their investment, the DeVos simply do not care it seems like. Why else continuously in the same cycle? Why else is it OK for the GM or whoever it is making decisions on trades and drafts allowed to continuously not make it better? When you play with no expectations, any success is just about a good result.

The common NBA fan that most of us are see the glaring holes this team has had, and yet nothing was addressed. A mismanagement of assets is killing us. The 6th and 11th pick are ROTTING on the bench and most of the season in the G-League. Some people are high on AB and Jet the common sense tells me if they aren’t good enough to sniff the court right now they surely aren’t going to develop over this summer by the leaps and bounds it would take to become a marginal rotational player. That was a huge mismanagement of draft picks of something of any sort we had trade value too.

I’ve been a fan for a very long time and I’m sick and tired of the wash rinse repeat cycle we are stuck in. Unless something serious changes in the front office and or ownership. This is destined to happen again. Accountability is a serious issue and in the organization you see it on the court. Clearly, horrible, bad turnovers, horrible bad shot selection horrible bad team build. If there is no accountability at the top, how can there be any accountability at the bottom? It’s just simply time for change .
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,022

Re: Time for new ownership 

Post#2 » by fendilim » Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:27 pm

We start performing beyond expectation then even standards go up lol

Give the guys a break. We’re just year 1 of rebuilding. They deserve a break
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,093

Post#3 » by yoyojw17 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:42 pm

three3d wrote:The DeVos family is the fifth longest tenured owners in the NBA behind Lakers, Pacers, Bull’s and the Trail Blazers and I don’t see how anything will ever change till some new blood is in control of this franchise. These billionaires buying teams are coming in with the expectation of winning and growing their investment, the DeVos simply do not care it seems like. Why else continuously in the same cycle? Why else is it OK for the GM or whoever it is making decisions on trades and drafts allowed to continuously not make it better? When you play with no expectations, any success is just about a good result.

The common NBA fan that most of us are see the glaring holes this team has had, and yet nothing was addressed. A mismanagement of assets is killing us. The 6th and 11th pick are ROTTING on the bench and most of the season in the G-League. Some people are high on AB and Jet the common sense tells me if they aren’t good enough to sniff the court right now they surely aren’t going to develop over this summer by the leaps and bounds it would take to become a marginal rotational player. That was a huge mismanagement of draft picks of something of any sort we had trade value too.

I’ve been a fan for a very long time and I’m sick and tired of the wash rinse repeat cycle we are stuck in. Unless something serious changes in the front office and or ownership. This is destined to happen again. Accountability is a serious issue and in the organization you see it on the court. Clearly, horrible, bad turnovers, horrible bad shot selection horrible bad team build. If there is no accountability at the top, how can there be any accountability at the bottom? It’s just simply time for change .

12 game improvements in 2 consecutive years... after a near full retooling. not making the team better? Maybe sometime... NOT going willy nilly is the right choice.... annnnd to a certain degree.... seems like that has worked out well already. Saying that you are going to get x,y, or z doesn't all of a sudden guarantee the success of the trade or move. Maybe getting another star last summer would have not allowed Paolo and Franz to delve into their playmaking as much.... as a Donovan Mitchell would have been the centerpiece. Gotta let these guys grow... make mistakes.... and learn. But... damn.... 4th in the East when most people were "I don't even think we will make the play ins"..."Markelle needs to quit saying playoffs if they aren't that good yet" comments were a thing in the offseason. We will see when they do make their moves. and as they said... they aren't going to make a move... JUST TO MAKE A MOVE. That's why teams are placed in crappy positions with good talent that don't fit and expensive salaries to pay. Evaluation isn't bad when the goal is to try and make the best moves when they become available.
three3d
Junior

Post#4 » by three3d » Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:59 pm

The expectations are extremely low for this franchise, so any success whatsoever seems like a win. Making the Playoffs is considered a win because we’ve all been used to being so bad. But a true measure of success is not making the playoffs or the finals. It’s winning the entire thing. How much longer till Paolo decides he’s just another big fish in a small pond ( ala Shaq) ? Paolo is NOT a Shaq, but what I’m saying is if he’s the type of player that is just okay with making the Playoffs he’s not our guy.

The DeVos’s have made their money off this franchise, it’s no longer an investment to them. They don’t have to hurry to win the championship when their version of success is just making playoffs.
JBSouthpaw
Analyst
And1: 1,274

Post#5 » by JBSouthpaw » Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:00 pm

During our best season since D12 years, doesn't seem like the best time for this.
-Better drafting over the last 3 years
-Good standing of draft future draft assets
-Excellent Cap Shape
-fun roster
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,196

Post#6 » by cedric76 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:02 pm

three3d wrote:The DeVos family is the fifth longest tenured owners in the NBA behind Lakers, Pacers, Bull’s and the Trail Blazers and I don’t see how anything will ever change till some new blood is in control of this franchise. These billionaires buying teams are coming in with the expectation of winning and growing their investment, the DeVos simply do not care it seems like. Why else continuously in the same cycle? Why else is it OK for the GM or whoever it is making decisions on trades and drafts allowed to continuously not make it better? When you play with no expectations, any success is just about a good result.

Ibtl

This ownership doesn't deserve fans like you
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go
Offer Harris and goga a 1+1 deal

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic

Suggs, AB, Carter
Monk, Jett, Harris
Franz, Jett, Houstan
Paolo, Moe, (Cole trade)
Wcj, JI, goga
three3d
Junior

Post#7 » by three3d » Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:16 pm

JBSouthpaw wrote:During our best season since D12 years, doesn't seem like the best time for this.
-Excellent Cap Shape
-fun roster

Right now it’s not looking like last years 6th and 11th pick are panning out. M

Cap shape because A.) nobody wants to come to Orlando possibly B.) front office hasn’t tried to get a marquee player. C.) Paolo & Franz haven’t gotten extension yet

Fun rosters don’t equal NBA Championship’s

Good standing in future draft picks = more young players that need development. And development is something I worry about with this front office. Paolo is naturally talented BUT developed, right he could be amazing. Part of development is surrounding them with complementary pieces, not just letting Paolo iso every time down and turn it over or jack up a bad 3 pointer.
three3d
Junior

Post#8 » by three3d » Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:18 pm

cedric76 wrote:

Ibtl

This ownership doesn't deserve fans like you

Nothing personal, but what has this ownership done? there is no accountability at the top, so there can be no accountability at the bottom.
three3d
Junior

Post#9 » by three3d » Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:49 pm

It’s been 24 years since we’ve been aggressive in free agency. That’s a hell of a long time to be patient and organically try to do it without a whole lot of success. Every 8-9 years we hit the wall and do it all over again, that’s extremely tiresome. We had to reset the Penny and Shaq team, Grant Hill was never healthy BUT we hit on T-Mac, T-Mac DIDN’T like the Dwight Howard pick and wanted out of Orlando so we reset again. Dwight did Dwight things and wanted out of Orlando so we reset YET again. Our NBA Finals game record is 1-9! 35 years of basketball, 2 NBA Finals appearances, and only 1 game ever won in the Finals. That’s more than just a player problem. It’s an ownership issue.
GGforever
Freshman
And1: 36

Post#10 » by GGforever » Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:10 pm

three3d wrote:It’s been 24 years since we’ve been aggressive in free agency. That’s a hell of a long time to be patient and organically try to do it without a whole lot of success. Every 8-9 years we hit the wall and do it all over again, that’s extremely tiresome. We had to reset the Penny and Shaq team, Grant Hill was never healthy BUT we hit on T-Mac, T-Mac DIDN’T like the Dwight Howard pick and wanted out of Orlando so we reset again. Dwight did Dwight things and wanted out of Orlando so we reset YET again. Our NBA Finals game record is 1-9! 35 years of basketball, 2 NBA Finals appearances, and only 1 game ever won in the Finals. That’s more than just a player problem. It’s an ownership issue.

*17 years. Don’t forget Rashard
Maybe bring this up this summer if we don’t sign anyone. Not good timing now.
Rainwater
General Manager
And1: 5,670

Post#11 » by Rainwater » Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:47 pm

fendilim wrote:We start performing beyond expectation then even standards go up lol

Give the guys a break. We’re just year 1 of rebuilding. They deserve a break

Yeah, this rebuild just began and people want immediate success. I know it is hard given the Magic’s history but people need to be patient. With that being said I do expect big moves this offseason with all the cap space the Magic have.
JF5
RealGM
And1: 3,917

Post#12 » by JF5 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:35 pm

The Magic have been one of the more successful organizations in the league under Devos...
Kent
Veteran
And1: 1,175

Post#13 » by Kent » Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:43 pm

Weird timing for this thread but no disrespect toward you for your opinion.

All things considered, we actually have good ownership. They've learned from their mistakes along the way and most owners don't.

You watch and listen to interviews and people who work in the NBA and they routinely compliment the ownership.

I'm not saying they're perfect or that they don't have dissenters out there, but we have it pretty darn good.
Ryan Anderson = Pat Garrity 10.0
-LBPTarHeel27
Driguez
General Manager
And1: 2,034

Post#14 » by Driguez » Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:43 pm

Once Alex Martins changed roles things started looking up again.
Huevos Bancheros
Max Power
Head Coach
And1: 1,204

Post#15 » by Max Power » Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:48 pm

This thread seems entirely pointless considering the team is in year 3 of a complete overhaul and in the top half of the Eastern conference. The Devos family has done a lot for Central Florida and most of what the team is doing is working and they’re improving like gangbusters. Now I do think this team could use a better face of the franchise off the court like Miami has Pat Riley, LA has Magic Johnson etc. I wouldn’t be opposed to a Shaquille O’Neal becoming part of the ownership group here.
You look confused...let me fill you in.
OrlChamps2030
General Manager
And1: 4,160

Post#16 » by OrlChamps2030 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:21 pm

JF5 wrote:The Magic have been one of the more successful organizations in the league under Devos...

This is true…

15 years ago, lol
JBSouthpaw
Analyst
And1: 1,274

Post#17 » by JBSouthpaw » Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:25 pm

three3d wrote:
JBSouthpaw wrote:During our best season since D12 years, doesn't seem like the best time for this.
-Excellent Cap Shape
-fun roster

Just like Suggs looked like a bust after the 1st year.

Cap shape because A.) nobody wants to come to Orlando possibly B.) front office hasn’t tried to get a marquee player. C.) Paolo & Franz haven’t gotten extension yet

Or the truth, way overpay for 1 player when the rest of the roster wasn't ready

Good standing in future draft picks = more young players that need development. And development is something I worry about with this front office. Paolo is naturally talented BUT developed, right he could be amazing. Part of development is surrounding them with complementary pieces, not just letting Paolo iso every time down and turn it over or jack up a bad 3 pointer.

Suggs has developed, PB improved into an allstar, and Franz has too, Cole is in the right roll, Weird how you are missing those things.

three3d
Junior

Post#18 » by three3d » Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:33 pm

JF5 wrote:The Magic have been one of the more successful organizations in the league under Devos...

What do you define success as?
three3d
Junior

Post#19 » by three3d » Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:47 pm

JBSouthpaw wrote:
three3d wrote:
-Excellent Cap Shape
-fun roster

Just like Suggs looked like a bust after the 1st year.

Or the truth, way overpay for 1 player when the rest of the roster wasn't ready

Suggs has developed, PB improved into an allstar, and Franz has too, Cole is in the right roll, Weird how you are missing those things.

Suggs has been a pleasant surprise, but he has something those other guys don’t seem to have that you can’t coach. That’s a relentless, pesky , defensive mindset and motor.

Paolo all season has been very sloppy with the ball, and lately his shot selection has become an issue. I love him on the wings and elbows, but he is shooting to many 3’s. He has to work on his consistency this summer, but I think a true starting point guard and a vet could help him a lot.

The DeVos family could in fact be wonderful charitable people, BUT that is not = winning championships. Maybe basketball isn’t their number one priority. But I for one I’m still waiting the day that we get to celebrate an NBA championship downtown.
msmoore66
Pro Prospect
And1: 360

Post#20 » by msmoore66 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:14 pm

We are a very entitled bunch aren't we. Enjoy being relevant again.

Return to Orlando Magic