ImageImageImageImage

2023-2024 Regular Season Game 80: Orlando Magic (46-33) at Milwaukee Bucks (48-31) - 8pm

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

OnlyFranz22
Junior
And1: 99

Re: 2023-2024 Regular Season Game 80: Orlando Magic (46-33) at Milwaukee Bucks (48-31) - 8pm 

Post#561 » by OnlyFranz22 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:06 am

shadrock wrote:
OnlyFranz22 wrote:
Rainwater wrote:
You say this as the Bucks sit in the second seed lol. The Bucks are freaking title contenders while the Magic are still rebuilding with many flaws.

THERE WAS NO GIANNIS TONIGHT lmao.

Doesnt matter. They are verterans, they know how to win. We are currently a team of young individuals who have no idea whats going on.

Bobby Portis scoring 30 points is unacceptable…. No reason WCJ/Isaac couldn’t defend him.

Dame scoring 29 without Giannis I actually take as a W.

Pat Bev scoring 13 is not okay. The guy is terrible.

Crowder getting 14 is unacceptable.

What other veterans are we talking about for them? Lopez who had 10 points?

Cole Anthony almost outscored their bench by himself 23-26

It comes down to our offense every single time……and there is no improvement. That’s a problem.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,313

Re: 2023-2024 Regular Season Game 80: Orlando Magic (46-33) at Milwaukee Bucks (48-31) - 8pm 

Post#562 » by pepe1991 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:14 am

Rainwater wrote:
OnlyFranz22 wrote:
Rainwater wrote:
I just feel like you are being disingenuous with your post. The Bucks are a 2nd seed, title contenders, with ton of experience including a guy in Dame who selected top 75. Even without Giannis this team is deadly. You are trying to equate this experienced bucks team to a rebuilding Orlando Magic team.

I could admit the Magic played poorly but I would give your post much more respect if you actually admitted that the Bucks are a good team. You make it seem like they are the wizards or something.

Would you take the Bucks in a 7 game series minus Giannis and minus Franz?

Bucks would also be a 6 seed in the West. Title contender is a bit too far lol.

With out Harris and Franz, I would definitely take the Bucks in 7. The Magic struggle to score even with Franz and Harris, take them out good luck. And the defense suffers with them as well.

Even without Giannis and even Middleton, who has played well at all, the Bucks have a decent veteran supporting cast around Dame to win games. Beasley, Lopez, Portis, Bev, Crowder, and connaughton, are god vet players. The Magic young guys ate just not there yet.

It's Giannis and Middelton. Bucks were missing like walking $80M in salary books in two players lol

If you don't think that Magic minus Franz can beat contenting skelleton crew, might as well reconsider using assets & picks to either trade for a star, or buy into draft to draft and develop one.

There were some snarky comments on my comment from several weeks ago on how our record is inflated due ability to beat bad teams. But being 17-26 vs teams above .500 puts us in Bulls tragjectory.

Due being in division with 2 pathetic teams Heat and we played 37 games against teams below .500.
For comparison sake, Celtics, Knicks 33, on west it's way wilder, poor Clippers play 52 out of 82 against teams over. 500 because of strenght of division.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#563 » by pepe1991 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:42 am

FInally on a mac to type normal post.

Anyway i won't be long, i think we should all learn from this season, players and coaching stuff to know better in future.

We peaked way early this year ,played best basketball in November, played "playoff defense" 5 months before playoffs and now are suffering from massive burnoff because we did not pace ourself.

It's nothing new for younger teams, but coaching should keep them in line. During and right after our winning streak we had situations where opponents were literally suprised by sheer hustle of our players, and probably little annoyed how much we celebrated wins. Probably because whole lot of them have been in nba for 8+ years to understand there is no point of playing that hard during random Friday afternoon in December.

Blazers game should have been red alert game. You play team with what? 4-5 rookies, and they take you to one possession game, and in last 40 sec you allow half court -below rim pass to ceilied center defended by 6'3 guard? And somehow you win because Blazers fumble last play and miss pretty open 12 footer buzzerbeater.

Amount of mental mistakes that are happening for past few weeks, to me, singal lack of focus & burnout. Even Isaac tonight was making some random defensive mistakes.

Hopefully we can make playoffs and go through that experience and hopefully Bucks beat OKC but man... This is difference between good regular season teams and contenders, contenders know when to peak.

And this Bucks team especially without Giannis and Middelton isn't even all that good. It's bunch of castoffs like Crowder, Beverley, Beasley... Pretty much old Lopez, defensive liability Lillard and bunch of D level nba players. And you get killed by Bobby Portis....Man...
Message Boar
Veteran
And1: 1,756

Post#564 » by Message Boar » Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:08 am

:cry: Man, both this last game and Friday in Philadelphia look like 100% schedule losses if you just forget the timing/implications. Which is sad because Friday's game's stakes and implications are ridiculously huge for a regular season game.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,960

Post#565 » by drsd » Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:44 am

With this loss, for the first time in a couple months, the Magic has a losing record over their last-10.

jezzerinho
Starter
And1: 1,519

Post#566 » by jezzerinho » Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:01 am

pepe1991 wrote:FInally on a mac to type normal post.

Anyway i won't be long, i think we should all learn from this season, players and coaching stuff to know better in future.

We peaked way early this year ,played best basketball in November, played "playoff defense" 5 months before playoffs and now are suffering from massive burnoff because we did not pace ourself.

It's nothing new for younger teams, but coaching should keep them in line. During and right after our winning streak we had situations where opponents were literally suprised by sheer hustle of our players, and probably little annoyed how much we celebrated wins. Probably because whole lot of them have been in nba for 8+ years to understand there is no point of playing that hard during random Friday afternoon in December.

Blazers game should have been red alert game. You play team with what? 4-5 rookies, and they take you to one possession game, and in last 40 sec you allow half court -below rim pass to ceilied center defended by 6'3 guard? And somehow you win because Blazers fumble last play and miss pretty open 12 footer buzzerbeater.

Amount of mental mistakes that are happening for past few weeks, to me, singal lack of focus & burnout. Even Isaac tonight was making some random defensive mistakes.

Hopefully we can make playoffs and go through that experience and hopefully Bucks beat OKC but man... This is difference between good regular season teams and contenders, contenders know when to peak.

And this Bucks team especially without Giannis and Middelton isn't even all that good. It's bunch of castoffs like Crowder, Beverley, Beasley... Pretty much old Lopez, defensive liability Lillard and bunch of D level nba players. And you get killed by Bobby Portis....Man...

In regard to the two opposing camps on here:

1) We're not as good as we seemed to be and we should be worried
Vs
2) We're as good or better than i thought we'd be at this point

I come down somewhere in the middle, but shading towrds pessimism rather than optimism. Why? Effort can only take you so far and - in a 82 game season plus playoffs - effort is not in infinite supply. The last number of games have shown that the Magic probably inflated their success through giving more effort than the oppo. Come the run-in and playoffs, everyone is giving effort so you get to see where your talent really is on a level playing field.

The results arent that encouraging. Take bench depth and effort away from this core and how good is it really? It's decent for sure and, being young, has room for growth. But so much of our secret sauce is trying hard and beating up on benches that the true standard of the 3 main guys is hard to tell.

The FO have conscientiously done the square root of FA to consolidate or improve the starting group. They now have the unenviable task of deciding whether the 3 amigos are good enough and what they need around them to flourish.

My confidence is pretty low that they'll correctly guess whether the core 3 should stay together and, if so, what pieces will make them contenders.

The "no skipping steps" mantra reeks of cushy intransigence and not being open to opportunity or admitting an error. It stinks of self-preservation and the DeVos family seem ok with that.

Tldr: Even if there is cause for optimism around the group and context around their very shïtty run-in performances, the roster needs an overhaul that i dont think our FO can deliver properly.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,751

Post#567 » by basketballRob » Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:29 am

OnlyFranz22 wrote:
shadrock wrote:
OnlyFranz22 wrote:
THERE WAS NO GIANNIS TONIGHT lmao.

Doesnt matter. They are verterans, they know how to win. We are currently a team of young individuals who have no idea whats going on.

Bobby Portis scoring 30 points is unacceptable…. No reason WCJ/Isaac couldn’t defend him.

Dame scoring 29 without Giannis I actually take as a W.

Pat Bev scoring 13 is not okay. The guy is terrible.

Crowder getting 14 is unacceptable.

What other veterans are we talking about for them? Lopez who had 10 points?

Cole Anthony almost outscored their bench by himself 23-26

It comes down to our offense every single time……and there is no improvement. That’s a problem.
Cole also had 5 turnovers. 3 in a row in the 1st quarter.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM mobile app
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,168

Post#568 » by zaymon » Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:30 am

Well we could be angry at Hornets loss but tonight was expected.
We are full of players who struggle under pressure so its not suprising we struggle under pressure.
Even Paolo "no pressure" tatoo suggests he feels a lot of pressure. When you surround him with players like WCJ, Fultz than it looks like tonight.
I would not bet on us in any game where Franz is out. When also Harris is out we have no competent guard outside Suggs.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#569 » by pepe1991 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:31 am

jezzerinho wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:FInally on a mac to type normal post.

In regard to the two opposing camps on here:

1) We're not as good as we seemed to be and we should be worried
Vs
2) We're as good or better than i thought we'd be at this point

I come down somewhere in the middle, but shading towrds pessimism rather than optimism. Why? Effort can only take you so far and - in a 82 game season plus playoffs - effort is not in infinite supply. The last number of games have shown that the Magic probably inflated their success through giving more effort than the oppo. Come the run-in and playoffs, everyone is giving effort so you get to see where your talent really is on a level playing field.

The results arent that encouraging. Take bench depth and effort away from this core and how good is it really? It's decent for sure and, being young, has room for growth. But so much of our secret sauce is trying hard and beating up on benches that the true standard of the 3 main guys is hard to tell.

The FO have conscientiously done the square root of FA to consolidate or improve the starting group. They now have the unenviable task of deciding whether the 3 amigos are good enough and what they need around them to flourish.

My confidence is pretty low that they'll correctly guess whether the core 3 should stay together and, if so, what pieces will make them contenders.

The "no skipping steps" mantra reeks of cushy intransigence and not being open to opportunity or admitting an error. It stinks of self-preservation and the DeVos family seem ok with that.

Tldr: Even if there is cause for optimism around the group and context around their very shïtty run-in performances, the roster needs an overhaul that i dont think our FO can deliver properly.

Our bench is elite because we can afford it, most teams can't, and soon enough we will be one of them.

You have situation where 3 starters are on rookie scale contracts.

What makes our bench great is mostly Isaac and his defense. We are 12-11 without him, but among those 12 wins, 9 are against teams below .500. Among 11 losses, 10 are against teams above .500.

You have Cole who is fine for what he does, and Mortiz who plays best season of his life.

Effort thing is once again tied with a bench. We can afford to go balls to a wall ( Isaac, Suggs) because one will get game off and other will only play 28-or so min. Once again, it works because our depth can afford it. Once again, it's not very sustainable model long term.

I don't know, i think playoffs and how we handle tighter rotations and defense that scouts and prepares for us will be very telling.

At some point you have to be team that isn't 22# ranked offense ranked like this, and win games on defense only

and in same time still pay Franz & Banchero max contracts mainly for offense
jezzerinho
Starter
And1: 1,519

Post#570 » by jezzerinho » Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:03 am

Said the same thing last week sometime.

The days of relying on our bench to help us in a big way are numbered. Plus, come playoff time, the value of a deep bench is hugely diminished.

We need to know how good the core 3 (plus maybe Isaac) really are: skills, mental strength, adaptability, craft... all the components that make great players.
Audi
Analyst
And1: 2,789

Post#571 » by Audi » Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:43 am

Read on Twitter
Abra Cadabra, Razzmatazz, Slam-Dunk Sesame, Hocus Pocus, Alacazam, Gonna set the spirit free
Keeping The Original Orlando Magic Theme Song Alive
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 13,086

Post#572 » by MagicMatic » Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:44 am

Rainwater wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:There seems to be a disconnect between the fans and expectations.

Magic are absolutely capable of beating tanking Charlotte, crap Portland, and eliminated Houston.
They dropped the ball whether you want to schedule floundering Milwaukee as a loss or not.

You cant simultaneously be high on this team and think "oh well we weren't supposed to be here anyway" after what you've seen this season from these guys assuming you've watched the games.

It makes perfect sense. They choked at the worst possible time when winning mattered and the team looks the worst it has ALL season down the stretch. They've gotten WORSE and haven't been trending upward, which is ideally what you'd like to see against poorer competition.

Not sure why a subsection of the posters make this out like its OK. It would have been fine at the beginning of the season. Not now when the pressure matters.

I just disagree with this assessment. I am high on this team because I see the growth and progression of guys like Paolo, Franz, and Suggs and how they have produced way more than expected. They have an off season with a ton of Cap and assets to improve the team in keys areas. And also this is one of the best seasons the Magic have had in years. This rough patch they are having shouldn’t overshadow the great progress they have made this season. The feelings of fans seem to sway game to game but they refuse to see how successful this season has been as a whole.

While I understand the disappointment with the recent play but this is still a very young squad who are still learning how to win with a whole lot roster flaws. I really can’t judge them too harshly.

I dunno man. I’m high on aspects of this team because of what we saw early in the season.

I’m pessimistic because I don’t trust our FO to actually fix anything based on their track record of never doing anything when it’s glaringly obvious.

The other thing….If this was a season where we shouldn’t be pressed about making noise in the post season, then I’d rather be watching AB and Jett get minutes instead of Fultz. But that isn’t the case. Kind of a confusing thing to signal if they aren’t prioritizing growth over immediate results.

That’s kinda the point here. Maybe I’d be cooler about losing to CHA, every close west coast loss at home, and scrub teams down the stretch if Magic were playing their young prospects the majority of minutes. Instead, the FO tried to squeeze wins out without upgrading the weaknesses in the offseason and deadline while playing guys that have no business being here next season. It’s like they took a gamble and lost big.

It’s not even this game in particular. It’s more about dropping the ball collectively over the past 2-3 weeks. It isn’t expected that the Magic should be beating Milwaukee at home. However, there was no urgency last night when the season is closing in on you and your offense/defense LOOKS bottom 5 against teams like Hornets and Rockets.
Bergmaniac
Head Coach
And1: 9,581

Post#573 » by Bergmaniac » Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:05 pm

Pretty awful performance, our all-hustle style is far from great on the second night of back to backs. But it wasn't just the lack of energy, we played dumb basketball most of the game. Some absolutely awful turnovers in crucial moments. Cole shot very well but had some horrible turnovers and again showed he's not really a playmaker. Franz is badly missed on both ends, his defence isn't as flashy as that of JI or Suggs but it's almost as important.

The Bucks played smart offense exploiting our weakness (i.e. forcing switches where Paolo ended on Lillard and got burned with ease every single time) while we played too chaotically.

Black touched the ball in the frontcourt about like 5 times in total before garbage time so the criticism of his offense is pretty weird to me.
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,213

Post#574 » by Optimus_Steel » Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:25 pm

ORLMagicGirl15 wrote:
shadrock wrote:Hoping for playin and a loss tbh. I dont want this team in the playoffs. They dont deserve it.

So, the other teams that are in the playin deserve it more? Why?

That mindset makes no sense. If they didn’t deserve it they would have 32 wins instead of 46.
aka: prorl
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,960

Post#575 » by drsd » Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:44 pm

Audi wrote:
Read on Twitter

Holy crap is that stark.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,344

Post#576 » by eyriq » Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:53 pm

Second game in a row our defense has been garbage, second game in a row we've started 3 guards.

Coaching needs to be better.
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#577 » by pepe1991 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:55 pm

drsd wrote:
Audi wrote:
Read on Twitter

Holy crap is that stark.

Goes to show you Franz is way more 1B player to Banchero 1A than B/Robin/whatever you call it player for Magic
Bergmaniac
Head Coach
And1: 9,581

Post#578 » by Bergmaniac » Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:04 pm

eyriq wrote:Second game in a row our defense has been garbage, second game in a row we've started 3 guards.

Is Houstan supposed to be a guard? He is 6'8" and never dribbles the ball.
ORLMagicGirl15
RealGM
And1: 3,763

Post#579 » by ORLMagicGirl15 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:07 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
drsd wrote:
Audi wrote:
Read on Twitter

Holy crap is that stark.

Goes to show you Franz is way more 1B player to Banchero 1A than B/Robin/whatever you call it player for Magic

Not for anything but it seems if you take anyone off this team, we can’t win. We are way more intertwined than I thought. No Paolo, loss. No Suggs, loss. No, Franz, JI, Harris, loss. No Markelle or WCJ????
For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.-John 3:16

Go Magic, Go Dwight, Go Vuc, Go Paolo, Go Keegan :)
ORLMagicGirl15
RealGM
And1: 3,763

Post#580 » by ORLMagicGirl15 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:09 pm

Bergmaniac wrote:
eyriq wrote:Second game in a row our defense has been garbage, second game in a row we've started 3 guards.

Is Houstan supposed to be a guard? He is 6'8" and never dribbles the ball.

I don’t know what he is supposed to be but he needs rep to just shoot the ball. We did him a disservice for not allowing him to get minutes and then we through him into the lineup.
For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.-John 3:16

Go Magic, Go Dwight, Go Vuc, Go Paolo, Go Keegan :)

Return to Orlando Magic