ImageImageImageImage

2023-2024 Regular Season Game 81: Orlando Magic (46-34) at Philadelphia 76ers (45-35) - 7pm

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,168

Re: 2023-2024 Regular Season Game 81: Orlando Magic (46-34) at Philadelphia 76ers (45-35) - 7pm 

Post#901 » by zaymon » Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:11 am

ibraheim718 wrote:
zaymon wrote:Realgm -Paolo is young, not ready to win, not a first option yet.
Also Realgm- why we didnt use assets to win with Paolo this year ?

Answer is simple. Paolo and Franz are not ready to win big this year and thats why Weltman didnt use assets. I think he went too far with this "family" thing, and made it too hard for Banchero and Wagner though. We could have evolved and now we need more of a revolution. Playing without a competent point guard is not the best way to learn the game imo.

You're right they aren't ready to win this year but there are some things those guys need to learn and I don't think outside of Mosley they have the right people there to show them instead of Joe Ingles or Marcella Fultz or even Gary "take the night off" Harris.

Also this will be the last time I say it Wagner and Ranchero need to take the summer off.. they owe it to the organization and the fans and they owe it to their own stamina and endurance. They should dedicate themselves to their craft this summer and rest and recharge.

They shouldn't be struggling like this to get into the playoffs. People will say "ah they're young" which they are but they have a ton of talent on that roster. You've got all-nba defenders and two 20ppg scorers. They get taken advantage of by older teams but they should've caught on a little bit by now.

I also dont think we should surround our core with losers like WCJ or Fultz, or that playing without a competent point guard is great for developing forwards but front office thought accumulating assets is more important and i can understand that. They also didnt extend Fultz and there were rumours about moving WCJ so maybe they thay can still see the reality. We would easly make playoffs if we had anyone instead of Fultz, but we also saw front office likes to stay in the lottery longer.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,941

Re: 2023-2024 Regular Season Game 81: Orlando Magic (46-34) at Philadelphia 76ers (45-35) - 7pm 

Post#902 » by drsd » Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:44 am

thelead wrote:Gary Harris has averaged 4.2 points, 2.2 rebounds, and 2.2 assists in 31 mpg over his last 5 games.

I am sick of people defending Harris as "a good shooter". The SG slot is by miles the most important upgrade this team needs. Listening to Magic fans talk about PG upgrades does my head in. This team has 4 PGs (soon 3 PGs), and no quality SGs.
This is not rocket science. The Magic's most glaring weakness is also the easiest weakness to resolve: find a distance shooter that compliments Sugg's game.
drsd
RealGM

Post#903 » by drsd » Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:45 am

Message Boar wrote:This season really is ridiculous in terms of how clustered the teams are and how many different outcomes the last day of the season has in terms of seeding. And the West is hardly any different.

THis is the perfect outcome for SIlver and the NBA tv schedule and its financing.
drsd
RealGM

Post#904 » by drsd » Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:47 am

With this loss, the Magic cannot have home court in the playoffs no matter all final-games scenarios.

i.e. The Magic can no longer be a 2-4 seed, and the highest is the 5. Which oddly is also the most likely outcome.

Note: if the Magic slide to the play-ins, the 8-seed is more likely than the 7-seed. So no home court there either.
The-Stallion70
Rookie
And1: 402

Post#905 » by The-Stallion70 » Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:04 am

Dang how did we slip to possibly playing in the play in game? This outcome feels so anti climactic and doesn't justify the work and progress the team made this year.
thelead wrote:I have a memory like an elephant.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,739

Post#906 » by basketballRob » Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:42 am

JF5 wrote:
basketballRob wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:Well people wanted Goga over Wendell and got it. Guy was targeted on pretty much every high pick&roll and Maxey, Oubre, Embiid were taking turns who will score around him next.
He looked good, considering he really hasn't played competitive basketball in months. If you haven't noticed, Moe never guards on the perimeter, and Wendell isn't chasing down Maxey either.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM Forums mobile app

If he was "good" he wouldn't have played less than 13 minutes. On top of that he was pulled after the first 6 minutes of the 3rd as the Sixers doubled the lead when he was on the floor not to be seen again. He was there to play defense and it was ineffective.

Then on the offensive end he just allowed Embiid to play off of him and clog the paint and being able to place a shadowy 2nd player to cut off drives to the basket.

There were back-to-back plays in the first half where Paolo was about to go to the rim but Embiid (along with the guy guarding Paolo) was right there to force Paolo to shoot a tough fade away shot.

The very next play again was very similar where Cole attempted to get to the rim and he was met by Embiid and the dude defending him causing Cole to take a tough fadeaway from close.

The irony before which makes me laugh is that people complained that Fultz clogged the paint. But the guy who would play off him would be a guard who couldn't put any real resistance to guys like Paolo and Franz.

Now you've got Goga's man who in this game who is a 7 foot, 270+ pound shot blocker who is one of the best defensive big men in the league being able to roam in the paint and make things extremely difficult for Paolo, Wagner and anyone else on the squad who is attempting to attack the rim (as that is this team's primary strength).

Leads by the Sixers was extended immensely every time he was on the court. I just dont understand what you saw that indicates that he played well and helped this team.
Goga is far from his best, right now, because he hasn't played in months. I just think his feel for the game and basketball IQ is much better than Wendell. Goga was a negative net rating mostly because Philadelphia made a bunch of great shots from 3.

If Wendell is out for the season, I do feel like we have a better chance to win even if Goga is a little rusty.

Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,644

Post#907 » by Skybox » Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:00 pm

drsd wrote:
thelead wrote:Gary Harris has averaged 4.2 points, 2.2 rebounds, and 2.2 assists in 31 mpg over his last 5 games.

I am sick of people defending Harris as "a good shooter". The SG slot is by miles the most important upgrade this team needs. Listening to Magic fans talk about PG upgrades does my head in. This team has 4 PGs (soon 3 PGs), and no quality SGs.
This is not rocket science. The Magic's most glaring weakness is also the easiest weakness to resolve: find a distance shooter that compliments Sugg's game.

I'd say we also have 12 shooters - they're just not good shooters. Saying we have 4 PGs? I'd rather have one good one.

these debates within our own little fishbowl are small-minded...Goga or WCJ? NO to both - just because Goga may be a better fit doesn't make him good enough to be our starting C. We're primed for some serious turnover this summer - if it's about winning.

I'm growing increasingly supportive of Suggs at PG, add a shooter - but even with that compromise, I'd want a REAL PG coming off the bench when the offense bogs down...Ideally, that's where Tyus Jones returns (unlikely to us without an overpay). AB's not close to that yet. There's just a ton of room for improvement up and down the roster...the more I look, the more I think Mose really cobbled together a passable offense without any sensible roster construction...to see guards rebound and immediately hand it to a 6'10 PF to take up the court...I like unconventional, on occasion, but it's not a sustainable way to play.
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#908 » by basketballRob » Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:12 pm

Skybox wrote:
drsd wrote:

I'd say we also have 12 shooters - they're just not good shooters. Saying we have 4 PGs? I'd rather have one good one.

these debates within our own little fishbowl are small-minded...Goga or WCJ? NO to both - just because Goga may be a better fit doesn't make him good enough to be our starting C. We're primed for some serious turnover this summer - if it's about winning.

I'm growing increasingly supportive of Suggs at PG, add a shooter - but even with that compromise, I'd want a REAL PG coming off the bench when the offense bogs down...Ideally, that's where Tyus Jones returns (unlikely to us without an overpay). AB's not close to that yet. There's just a ton of room for improvement up and down the roster...the more I look, the more I think Mose really cobbled together a passable offense without any sensible roster construction...to see guards rebound and immediately hand it to a 6'10 PF to take up the court...I like unconventional, on occasion, but it's not a sustainable way to play.
If you sign Tyus, I think you have to trade Cole. I just don't think you can have 2 small guards in the rotation.

Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,644

Post#909 » by Skybox » Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:14 pm

basketballRob wrote:
Skybox wrote:
drsd wrote:

If you sign Tyus, I think you have to trade Cole. I just don't think you can have 2 small guards in the rotation.

We've been up and down this before. Cole's not really a factor in personnel decisions to me...I don't realistically want to sign Tyus. He's priced himself out of his appropriate backup role. Maybe in a couple of years, when reality brings him back and we're truly a contender.
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#910 » by basketballRob » Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:18 pm

Skybox wrote:
basketballRob wrote:
Skybox wrote:

We've been up and down this before. Cole's not really a factor in personnel decisions to me...I don't realistically want to sign Tyus. He's priced himself out of his appropriate backup role. Maybe in a couple of years, when reality brings him back and we're truly a contender.
I don't think Tyus would cost much more than what Cole got. I just think you could only have one of them on the roster.

eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,306

Post#911 » by eyriq » Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:22 pm

drsd wrote:

yes Yes YES!!!
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,306

Post#912 » by eyriq » Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:45 pm

Read on Twitter
?t=eC0iKaFeGGNR_PMcXIlRiw&s=19
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,407

Post#913 » by Knightro » Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:01 pm

Message Boar wrote:
Knightro wrote:
CocoaFan wrote:After we win Sunday and are the 5th seed (after winning the tie breaker with Sixers and Pacers) everyone can take a deep breath and stop the Paolo sucks talk and get ready to take on the Cavs!

If the Magic win on Sunday, their most likely opponent would be Milwaukee in the 4/5.

But if the Pacers lose to the Hawks and the Sixers beat the Nets, the Sixers would be the 5 and the Magic would be the 6 against the Cavs.

This season really is ridiculous in terms of how clustered the teams are and how many different outcomes the last day of the season has in terms of seeding. And the West is hardly any different.

I read yesterday that this is the first time in the history of the Eastern Conference that eight teams have at least 45 wins.
CocoaFan
Sophomore
And1: 56

Post#914 » by CocoaFan » Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:34 pm

ibraheim718 wrote:

Answer is simple. Paolo and Franz are not ready to win big this year and thats why Weltman didnt use assets. I think he went too far with this "family" thing, and made it too hard for Banchero and Wagner though. We could have evolved and now we need more of a revolution. Playing without a competent point guard is not the best way to learn the game imo.

You're right they aren't ready to win this year but there are some things those guys need to learn and I don't think outside of Mosley they have the right people there to show them instead of Joe Ingles or Marcella Fultz or even Gary "take the night off" Harris.

Also this will be the last time I say it Wagner and Ranchero need to take the summer off.. they owe it to the organization and the fans and they owe it to their own stamina and endurance. They should dedicate themselves to their craft this summer and rest and recharge.

They shouldn't be struggling like this to get into the playoffs. People will say "ah they're young" which they are but they have a ton of talent on that roster. You've got all-nba defenders and two 20ppg scorers. They get taken advantage of by older teams but they should've caught on a little bit by now.
You are absolutely right but it's never going to happen in an Olympic year. Both those guys are dedicated to supporting the national teams.
CocoaFan
Sophomore

Post#915 » by CocoaFan » Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:40 pm

The-Stallion70 wrote:Dang how did we slip to possibly playing in the play in game? This outcome feels so anti climactic and doesn't justify the work and progress the team made this year.
We can still get to the 5th seed with a win Sunday which isn't too bad considering what the predictions were for this season.
Message Boar
Veteran
And1: 1,743

Post#916 » by Message Boar » Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:42 pm

CocoaFan wrote:
ibraheim718 wrote:

You are absolutely right but it's never going to happen in an Olympic year. Both those guys are dedicated to supporting the national teams.

Paolo getting selected to go to the Olympics isn't a given at this point, I'd say. Though at the very least he'll see some pre-selection and scrimmage/select team action.
CocoaFan
Sophomore

Post#917 » by CocoaFan » Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:45 pm

Skybox wrote:
drsd wrote:

I think Isaac will be the starting center next year. He should be ready to play 25-30 minutes a game after using this season to see what he can handle. Use Wendell and Mo off the bench until we can find a trade for Wendell.
CocoaFan
Sophomore

Post#918 » by CocoaFan » Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:47 pm

basketballRob wrote:
Skybox wrote:
basketballRob wrote:If you sign Tyus, I think you have to trade Cole. I just don't think you can have 2 small guards in the rotation.

I don't think Tyus would cost much more than what Cole got. I just think you could only have one of them on the roster.

I vote for Tyus!!!
trebone
Lead Assistant
And1: 337

Post#919 » by trebone » Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:39 pm

Id throw the kitchen sink at a guy like Darius Garland if the cavs flame out
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#920 » by basketballRob » Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:20 pm

I think we have to make the playoffs and push the team to 6 or 7 games for people to take us seriously next season. If we just get swept or don't make the playoffs, everyone will rank us as a borderline play-in team, and we won't have any national TV games next season.

Return to Orlando Magic