ImageImageImageImage

Cavaliers vs Magic Series General Discussion Thread

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,604

Re: Cavaliers vs Magic Series General Discussion Thread 

Post#41 » by BadMofoPimp » Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:33 pm

JoshuaPotter wrote:Could I get some reviews on bally sports. I am considering activating my subscription for the playoffs and then turning it off when the magic season is over. Would that work? Do you think they will black out home games even though they will likely sell out?

I absolutely refuse to get Bally and been streaming illegally for a sport that has been traditionally free across the board until Magic went downhill and got greedy.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
jezzerinho
Starter
And1: 1,519

Post#42 » by jezzerinho » Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:36 pm

zaymon wrote:
jezzerinho wrote:The playoffs is where oppositions get themselves familiar with what you're bad at and make you do that.

If we're self-scouting, what would you say are the glaring gaps offensively in each of our starters?

"Shooting" is kind of a given....

No great pick and roll ball handler. You can switch Franz/Banchero/Carter/Isaac without problem. Only pull up option is Paolo and he is inefficient. Obviously shooting from most positions.
You can put smaller guys on Franz and Paolo and they wont hurt you much most of the time.
Suggs or Franz need to develop some form of a midrange pull up. They are both fast but you can defend them with big separation after they cross the 3 point line. Paolo has better midrange but he is too slow reacting to double teams, his handle is too loose to dribble in a crowd.
I would say 3 point shooting is not even our biggest problem.

I think you hit the nail on the head here. If we get real penetration, Orl can collapse the D, pass from inside out and swing the ball to find the open shooter/cutter. But if you wall us off, only Paolo has the midrange game and even hes not efficient overall, so the oppo probably lives with that.

I think where we can mitigate.some of the absence of midrange and lack of pure pnr handler is developing a 2-man game. The MoJoe connection works for the bench but the starters need to get it clicking. Whether its Paolo with WCJ or Franz/Suggs with Paolo, we need to be smarter about how we work decent openings at the rim by playing through the D. Expecting Paolo to dribble through 3 guys and score efficiently on every trip is a pipe dream.
tooler
General Manager
And1: 5,370

Post#43 » by tooler » Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:09 pm

I think the series overall will probably come down to Donovan Mitchell. Not Suggs vs. Mitchell, just Mitchell in general. Great offense beats great defense. If we keep it close and he hits some daggers, then it will be hopeless. If he’s injured, or we get up early in the series and he starts to pout or something, then we have a chance. I’ll give it about 28.8%. :)
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,743

Post#44 » by basketballRob » Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:17 pm

The Cavs media that I've heard seem confident that they'll win.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,475

Post#45 » by Bensational » Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:31 pm

tooler wrote:I think the series overall will probably come down to Donovan Mitchell. Not Suggs vs. Mitchell, just Mitchell in general. Great offense beats great defense. If we keep it close and he hits some daggers, then it will be hopeless. If he’s injured, or we get up early in the series and he starts to pout or something, then we have a chance. I’ll give it about 28.8%. :)

Last year Mitchell went from a 61% TS% guy in the regular season to 52% TS% in the playoffs. The year prior he dropped from 57% regular season to 51% in the playoffs.

I’m not sure if it’s a growing trend or not - this postseason will probably give some indication - but there’s precedence of him being limited a lot more in recent playoffs at least.
richi_v25
Bench Warmer
And1: 426

Post#46 » by richi_v25 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:57 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:
JoshuaPotter wrote:Could I get some reviews on bally sports. I am considering activating my subscription for the playoffs and then turning it off when the magic season is over. Would that work? Do you think they will black out home games even though they will likely sell out?

I absolutely refuse to get Bally and been streaming illegally for a sport that has been traditionally free across the board until Magic went downhill and got greedy.

Same i was out of town for work and wanted to help out the Magic so i got the nba app to watch the games but was blacked out due to a Central Florida number. I was like well i can't help those that don't want to be helped back to illegal streaming i go.
Residual-Heat
Sixth Man
And1: 1,013

Post#47 » by Residual-Heat » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:42 am

If Fultz gets minutes, he can prove to be useful in this series. We would need him to lock in on defense against Garland and Mitchell, and push the pace on offense.
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#48 » by basketballRob » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:45 am

Residual-Heat wrote:If Fultz gets minutes, he can prove to be useful in this series. We would need him to lock in on defense against Garland and Mitchell, and push the pace on offense.
He was completely lost on defense and offense against Milwaukee. I'm afraid he won't be able to stay in front of Garland or Mitchell

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM Forums mobile app
ORLMagicGirl15
RealGM
And1: 3,736

Post#49 » by ORLMagicGirl15 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:53 am

I'm not going to lie. I'm a little nervous for Paolo and Franz. This is their first playoff series and I hope they show up. Franz has struggled so much against the Cavs big man and Paolo has been inefficient. I hope they both come to play.
For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.-John 3:16

Go Magic, Go Dwight, Go Vuc, Go Paolo, Go Keegan :)
Anti Chalmers
Analyst
And1: 2,858

Post#50 » by Anti Chalmers » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:40 am

We can beat anyone as long as Franz and Paolo plays well
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,093

Post#51 » by yoyojw17 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:19 am

basketballRob wrote:
Residual-Heat wrote:If Fultz gets minutes, he can prove to be useful in this series. We would need him to lock in on defense against Garland and Mitchell, and push the pace on offense.
He was completely lost on defense and offense against Milwaukee. I'm afraid he won't be able to stay in front of Garland or Mitchell

A lot of deduction from 6 min of gameplay. lol
Message Boar
Veteran
And1: 1,743

Post#52 » by Message Boar » Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:26 am

After giving it some thought, I like this matchup less for us than I initially thought. The question is if the week off helps the Cavs snap out of the funk they've been in for the last month+. Before that they were playing like one of the best teams in the nba.

What I see is a Cavs roster with way more scoring and shooting on it than we have. I think their small guards can be exposed on defense but the Magic don't really have the guard scoring to take advantage of that. Mobley will make life hard on one of Franz and Paolo and they have good rim protection in Allen to partially neutralize the one area of the court where we're good from. If we win, it will because we're able to out-physical them and bully them, grabbing loads of offensive boards and getting to the line (but the refs have not been friendly of late).

Objectively, I think a competitive Cavs in 5 is the most likely outcome, but it depends if the Cavs actually show up and play to their potential. Their fans don't seem to trust their coach at all, so hopefully we have an advantage there. I'm interested to see how our coaches perform in a playoff setting with adjustments etc.
jezzerinho
Starter
And1: 1,519

Post#53 » by jezzerinho » Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:49 am

Bensational wrote:
tooler wrote:I think the series overall will probably come down to Donovan Mitchell. Not Suggs vs. Mitchell, just Mitchell in general. Great offense beats great defense. If we keep it close and he hits some daggers, then it will be hopeless. If he’s injured, or we get up early in the series and he starts to pout or something, then we have a chance. I’ll give it about 28.8%. :)

Last year Mitchell went from a 61% TS% guy in the regular season to 52% TS% in the playoffs. The year prior he dropped from 57% regular season to 51% in the playoffs.

I’m not sure if it’s a growing trend or not - this postseason will probably give some indication - but there’s precedence of him being limited a lot more in recent playoffs at least.

Further on the bright side, Garland seems to be in a bit of a funk lately, according to Cavs fans. With Mitchell just back, we could be in the fortunate position of being able to give extra attention to him without necessarily being heavily punished by Garland.

Theory is fascinating tho. Practice could be a different animal.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,847

Post#54 » by RookieStar » Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:54 am

Wait... its on ESPN and 1pm?
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,195

Post#55 » by Optimus_Steel » Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:36 am

RookieStar wrote:Wait... its on ESPN and 1pm?

Yup ESPN 1pm
aka: prorl
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#56 » by basketballRob » Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:44 am

yoyojw17 wrote:
basketballRob wrote:

We can play a 9-man rotation. The Kings looked much better last night when the starters all played 38 minutes, and if it was close, they would've only played 8 players.

Wendell 20
Paolo 38
Franz 38
Gary 30
Suggs 35
Isaac 30
Cole 24
Moe 20
Ingles 5 = 240

3ddman23
General Manager
And1: 2,620

Post#57 » by 3ddman23 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:15 pm

RookieStar wrote:Wait... its on ESPN and 1pm?

Game 1( and game 4) of the first round for all series are always national televised.
It's the middle games that get put on nba TV, ala game 2 & 3 for us.
GO MAGIC
JBSouthpaw
Analyst
And1: 1,275

Post#58 » by JBSouthpaw » Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:53 pm

basketballRob wrote:
yoyojw17 wrote:
basketballRob wrote:He was completely lost on defense and offense against Milwaukee. I'm afraid he won't be able to stay in front of Garland or Mitchell

We can play a 9-man rotation. The Kings looked much better last night when the starters all played 38 minutes, and if it was close, they would've only played 8 players.

Wendell 20
Paolo 38
Franz 38
Gary 30
Suggs 35
Isaac 30
Cole 24
Moe 20
Ingles 5 = 240

So you have
Suggs/Cole
Gary/ Cole
Franz/Isaac/ Ingles
PB/Isaac
Wendell/ Moe
Don't hate it.
Not sure JI can go 30 MIn, he was getting gassed in long stretches.
We may need Goga a few minutes with their bigs
Cole can NOT guard Mitchell, 24 might be high for him unless he's on fire. Subbing strategy will be very important for Coach.
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#59 » by basketballRob » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:20 pm

JBSouthpaw wrote:
basketballRob wrote:
yoyojw17 wrote:

Wendell 20
Paolo 38
Franz 38
Gary 30
Suggs 35
Isaac 30
Cole 24
Moe 20
Ingles 5 = 240

So you have
Suggs/Cole
Gary/ Cole
Franz/Isaac/ Ingles
PB/Isaac
Wendell/ Moe
Don't hate it.
Not sure JI can go 30 MIn, he was getting gassed in long stretches.
We may need Goga a few minutes with their bigs
Cole can NOT guard Mitchell, 24 might be high for him unless he's on fire. Subbing strategy will be very important for Coach.
Ingles will probably play more than 5 minutes, and Franz can play some SG. Cole will probably match minutes with Merrill.

I think we need Isaac in with Wendell a lot when Allen is in the game. I remember him destroying Wendell on the pick and roll in one game that we played. Isaac could help cover for Wendell.

Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,417

Post#60 » by Knightro » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:50 pm

I would start Isaac at center and play him 30 MPG if his body can handle it.

Return to Orlando Magic