ImageImageImageImage

Cavaliers vs Magic Series General Discussion Thread

Moderators: ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami

eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,523

Re: Cavaliers vs Magic Series General Discussion Thread 

Post#541 » by eyriq » Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:43 pm

rcklsscognition wrote:Trying to think what the Cavs adjustment is in game 5 or maybe they don’t try one and just see if home court can fix their problems.

I might ditch Nieng and go with Morris and Merrill instead.

We seem to have figured the rebounding issue out. We still occasionally have issues with Franz winding up on Allen on switches. I would be focusing on making that happen if I was Cleveland, but Mosley seems to have noticed this problem and is getting Wendell to switch out with Franz in these situations.

We need to focus on pick and roll defense. If we can continue to control that we should have a good chance.
I'd stagger Mobley+Garland and Allen+Mitchell more. Allen and Mitchell with shooters has done well against us. They've won the opening stint every game so it isn't like they need a change to the starting lineup, but I do think heavy staggering is needed after that stint.
J the Drafter
Starter
And1: 306

Post#542 » by J the Drafter » Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:57 pm

The-Stallion70 wrote:For us to win by 61 points combined in two games in a row at home is honestly perplexing. It makes you wonder how we not only lost the first two games but also how we lost by double digits.

Homecourt advantage is a factor. Is it that strong of a factor? To turn double digit losses into huge blowout wins? The Magic had a better record on the road than at home when they went to the Finals in 2009.

It's like our young team is still figuring out what they are capable of, like we never should have been down to this team in the first place or something. Like, they unlocking super saiyan for the first time or some ****.

Moving WCJ into the starting lineup and Isaac to the bench, and putting Suggs on Mitchell and increasing the help defense sent Mitchell’s way, are big gameplan changes. That’s a much different team than the one that started the series.
Remember when Kobe elbowed Jameer in the chin so hard Jameer was knocked down and sent skidding across the floor?
Pepperidge Farm remembers.*

*Futurama
The-Stallion70
Bench Warmer
And1: 419

Post#543 » by The-Stallion70 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:13 pm

J the Drafter wrote:
The-Stallion70 wrote:For us to win by 61 points combined in two games in a row at home is honestly perplexing. It makes you wonder how we not only lost the first two games but also how we lost by double digits.

Homecourt advantage is a factor. Is it that strong of a factor? To turn double digit losses into huge blowout wins? The Magic had a better record on the road than at home when they went to the Finals in 2009.

It's like our young team is still figuring out what they are capable of, like we never should have been down to this team in the first place or something. Like, they unlocking super saiyan for the first time or some ****.

Moving WCJ into the starting lineup and Isaac to the bench, and putting Suggs on Mitchell and increasing the help defense sent Mitchell’s way, are big gameplan changes. That’s a much different team than the one that started the series.

Yea and honestly it is not a good look for Mose for him to start Isaac the first time all year in a playoff game, Isaac gets 3 points and 4 boards to Jarrett Allen's 20 and 15 and then we blow them out once we put Wendell back in.

Their team will adjust now to Wendell and if we barely lose the series we could look at that decision as an especially horrible one, a little bit like Stan starting Jameer in the Finals in his first time playing in months. Especially after Rafer had a good series against Boston.

Call me a Debbie downer but that decision to start Isaac is not a good look now.
thelead wrote:I have a memory like an elephant.
tooler
General Manager
And1: 5,400

Post#544 » by tooler » Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:23 pm

The-Stallion70 wrote:Call me a Debbie downer but that decision to start Isaac is not a good look now.

It's pointless to worry about it now. The coach is learning too and he's made multiple effective adjustments. Meanwhile, Cleveland fans can't wait to fire their coach.
The-Stallion70
Bench Warmer

Post#545 » by The-Stallion70 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:18 pm

tooler wrote:
The-Stallion70 wrote:Call me a Debbie downer but that decision to start Isaac is not a good look now.

It's pointless to worry about it now. The coach is learning too and he's made multiple effective adjustments. Meanwhile, Cleveland fans can't wait to fire their coach.

It won't look pointless if the series is close.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#546 » by eyriq » Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:26 pm

The-Stallion70 wrote:
tooler wrote:

It won't look pointless if the series is close.
It was the right decision. WCJ was injured and Isaac was finally coming off his minutes restriction and is our highest impact player. Sometimes the right decision turns out to be wrong.
DiplomaticMagic
Head Coach
And1: 2,574

Post#547 » by DiplomaticMagic » Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:27 pm

You cant blame Mosley for starting Isaac. Isaac was one of the bigger catalyst in our last game and Wendell had been struggling.

Mosley started our 5 best players, thats what teams do. It didn't work out, but thats not what to fault in the series.

Be happy he made necessary adjustments and we tied it up.
Trade for Trae
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 38,038

Post#548 » by SOUL » Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:29 pm

The rationale was sound. We only won the last game because Isaac started and WCJ was playing soft and was hurt too. Most people thought he'd get eaten alive by Mobley/Allen. We also got off to really bad starts the last 2 weeks.

But there were a lot of issues outside of that - missed free throws and a million turnovers and bad three point shooting, regardless if WCJ started.
The-Stallion70
Bench Warmer

Post#549 » by The-Stallion70 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:48 pm

DiplomaticMagic wrote:You cant blame Mosley for starting Isaac. Isaac was one of the bigger catalyst in our last game and Wendell had been struggling.

Mosley started our 5 best players, thats what teams do. It didn't work out, but thats not what to fault in the series.

Be happy he made necessary adjustments and we tied it up.

I will state my opinion how's that sound bub
jezzerinho
Starter
And1: 1,531

Post#550 » by jezzerinho » Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:09 pm

Isaac had no idea.where to be or what to do. Not his fault- he's never started at center and rarely played as the big defending the pnr really. He's more the roaming buzz saw.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 13,179

Post#551 » by MagicMatic » Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:32 pm

Isaac isn’t big enough inside. It was worth a try because Carter doesn’t do much at the rim either. Strus and Garland just gliding into the paint uncontested isnt something that shouldn’t happen, but here we are.
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,929

Post#552 » by thelead » Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:43 am

thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,929

Post#553 » by thelead » Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:31 am

Anyone have the stats for the WCJ/JI/Paolo/Franz/Suggs lineup this series?
Residual-Heat
Sixth Man
And1: 1,103

Post#554 » by Residual-Heat » Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:34 am

thelead wrote:Anyone have the stats for the WCJ/JI/Paolo/Franz/Suggs lineup this series?

only played 3 mins together, i think it was in game 3. Net rating is 133

Edit: just looked it up, it was in the 2nd quarter of game 3, with like 6 mins left

at around 3:40 on this vid
GGforever
Freshman
And1: 36

Post#555 » by GGforever » Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:36 am

rcklsscognition wrote:Trying to think what the Cavs adjustment is in game 5 or maybe they don’t try one and just see if home court can fix their problems.

I might ditch Nieng and go with Morris and Merrill instead.

We seem to have figured the rebounding issue out. We still occasionally have issues with Franz winding up on Allen on switches. I would be focusing on making that happen if I was Cleveland, but Mosley seems to have noticed this problem and is getting Wendell to switch out with Franz in these situations.

We need to focus on pick and roll defense. If we can continue to control that we should have a good chance.

I think we have to be fully prepared for them to throw different looks at Franz. Could see where they start sending a double team and trap him. Probably wouldn’t work though.
Hopefully we continue to feed him the ball like we did in the second half and let him play make.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,897

Post#556 » by RookieStar » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:15 am

Is Niang really that much better compqred to TT or Morris? I have a feeling they will use them.both and we saw on game 3 when TT first came in, he immediqtely sent Gary to the floor.

I think pepe is gonna be right, those 2 will be using their elbows on Paolo and Franz right away
DiplomaticMagic
Head Coach

Post#557 » by DiplomaticMagic » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:20 am

RookieStar wrote:Is Niang really that much better compqred to TT or Morris? I have a feeling they will use them.both and we saw on game 3 when TT first came in, he immediqtely sent Gary to the floor.

I think pepe is gonna be right, those 2 will be using their elbows on Paolo and Franz right away

Maybe, because everytime Niang checks in, i say "thank you jb"

If thats what they're gameplan is though, thats weak ****.
Trade for Trae
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#558 » by eyriq » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:49 am

Read on Twitter
?t=uqSMAwxi1DqI67y6oILb9A&s=19
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,897

Post#559 » by RookieStar » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:05 am

DiplomaticMagic wrote:
RookieStar wrote:Is Niang really that much better compqred to TT or Morris? I have a feeling they will use them.both and we saw on game 3 when TT first came in, he immediqtely sent Gary to the floor.

Maybe, because everytime Niang checks in, i say "thank you jb"

If thats what they're gameplan is though, thats weak ****.

They probably looking at NYK-PHI game and saw a hobbled Embiid, the MIA-BOS with an injured Jimmy, the IND-MIL with Dame and GA out and say to themselves.. hmmmmm why not us why not now???
DiplomaticMagic
Head Coach

Post#560 » by DiplomaticMagic » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:49 am

Btw what is up with Dean Wade??? Is he going to come back at all??
Trade for Trae

Return to Orlando Magic