ImageImageImageImage

TRANSCRIPT: Jeff Weltman on "Open Mike" with Mike Bianchi - 4/16/24

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,369

Re: TRANSCRIPT: Jeff Weltman on 

Post#61 » by eyriq » Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:27 pm

basketballRob wrote:
JF5 wrote:
basketballRob wrote:Black will likely be much better than White because of his elite defense and size.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM Forums mobile app

Elite? Hes a good defender right now and limited by just about everywhere else offensively.

This is very similar to the Suggs conversation we had in the Anthony Black draft thread just before the season started. Coby and Suggs were guys who came into the league with some sort of offensive pedigree/skill.

You look at what he did before being drafted and then playing some minutes and it's pretty obvious he's never going to be a good offensive player. Average at best and can hit the occasional 3. He just has a very long way to go at that end of the court.
Black played within a winning team concept. No one questions Gary Harris when he's 1-3 at the end of games. Black was filling that role this season. He was also a very young rookie. Suggs hadn't even played 1 game in the NBA yet when he was Black's current age.

Keep cooking
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,316

Re: TRANSCRIPT: Jeff Weltman on "Open Mike" with Mike Bianchi - 4/16/24 

Post#62 » by pepe1991 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:18 am

MagicMatic wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:People forget White was 5th in ROY voting. Bulls in same time stunned growth of him, Lauri, Wendell , Pat Will etc with one single mistake called Zach Lavine.

Coby White in his rookie season was 5th in minutes per game on that roster.
Anthony Black was about 10th in comparison.

Yeah, I'd agree they have different skillsets but there was no real path to minutes with Fultz returning in the first week of January. When he was playing he looked pretty good and was actually hitting his stride hitting outside shots.

I don't get where the AB criticism comes from really. He looked above average for a rookie compared to other picks and theres obviously a lot of potential.

Jett Howard... Yeah we have no idea but it can't look good when half your wings are injured and he isn't getting any minutes whatsoever.

I haven't said a word about Anthony Black tho.

AB made some 3s , mostly wide open, but looks raw and doesn't look like point guard at all. Same could be said for Amen Thompson and Scoot. It's almost a pattern now ,where majority of lottery selected picks simply have no base skillset , and it's all about upside, so you have to wait until they learn basketball basics.

That's why somebody who has gift and base skill ( Victor, Chet) look like people who aren't from same planet compared to rest of a group.

As person who grew up as soccer fan, i find that absurd. Somebody who is 20, probably plays that sport for past 12-14 years, there is no excuses why some players are that raw.

Today you have parents who pay personal trainers, nutritionists, fitness, strenght & conditionig coaches for their kids, i litearlly see it every day, kids who are 11-13 years old working out with personal trainers. So why NBA has has such a massive influx of unprepared rookies who aren't that young? I don't know. Probably because basketball in general is one of slowest developing sports and people treated advanced analytics, 3 point shooting, space & modern offense like it's voodoo back in 2016 still?
NBA has easly most unclear set of "rules" games are called by, case and point, mid way through one season there is silent agreement to not call as many FTs. Nobody even bothered to explain new rules to media, fans, or even players.

Or because american players have massive issues with midnset in team sports, as media makes narratives about individual sucess instad of team ?
Or because rules are streached in nba to redicilous level where you spend one year in nba learning how to cheat with seven steps "gather " step, Eurosteps that are cute term for jumping like a fool, shifting pivotal leg at least twice, or how stepback is basically new term for travel + ball carry in same play.

But even by just watching World Cup last year it's clear that having on paper most talented team, made out of people who aren't ready to commit to a team, and aren't ready to make tweeks in their game, simply isn't enough any more to be dominant.

Tbh i don't really care what Black and Howard are, i don't find them all that important going forwrad for Magic. If they pan out,great, if they don't, i would trade them at some point.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,764

Post#63 » by basketballRob » Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:49 am

I also think Paolo and AB have gotten close over the season. I always see Paolo pulling AB to the side, giving him instructions before he goes into the game. I also noticed AB with a Hello Kitty backpack earlier this season. That's a common thing they do is make rookies carry those during road trips. I just think the Magic aren't going to mess with the chemistry.

Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,662

Post#64 » by Skybox » Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:36 pm

basketballRob wrote:Black is likely in the rotation and possibly starting next season.

Based on WHAT?

I’m hopeful too but he’s shown very little beyond inklings of what he can be…he’s a year away from being a year away. Maybe
Fortune Teller
Sophomore
And1: 153

Post#65 » by Fortune Teller » Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:44 pm

The front office needs to stop worrying about how much these guys like each other off the court, and start focusing on who fits on the court. Some of the best teams in NBA history didn't like each other.

As for AB, it's ok to admit that he did nothing this year beyond show some defensive chops. He was drafted as a PG and there is zero evidence he's capable of playing the position. We had one of the worst starting PG's in the NBA and AB still couldn't get minutes running the point when the guard rotation was healthy. He can make open threes but he has no vertical lift on his shot so I don't know if he'll ever be able to make contested shots in this league. I still contend the #6 pick likely had more value as a trade asset than AB does as an actual player.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,662

Post#66 » by Skybox » Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:55 pm

Knightro wrote:I just want to be overly clear on one thing...

If the Magic put Anthony Black, Jett Howard and 3 unprotected 1st round picks on the table, plus their ability to absorb another contract as necessary, they will have the ability to acquire literally anyone who will possibly be on the market this summer.

3 unprotected firsts and two lotto picks just a year into their rookie deals? That is a super competitive offer!

I actually don't think most of the guys who will likely be on the trade market this summer will cost anywhere close to that either, but I have no concerns whatsoever about the Magic's ability to make a deal if the right player is out there.

The only limitation is whether the target team values picks & salary relief…many are firmly in “win-now” mode - which could still lead to a 3-way or a “next trade” for the team we’re hoping to deal with. Of the teams we discuss frequently…

Hard to imagine ATL goes full tank, “give me picks” with Trae on board…DJM would likely be a 3-way…playoff fail helps :D
POR, on other hand, is WAY way over salary apron AND near bottom of rebuild…they WILL do something, even if it’s a net negative
Monk in FA is real…because SAC just cannot pay him his market value
DETs rebuild has gone backwards…they might consider reshuffling for picks
CLE, if we beat them up, is likely to make changes, but less likely just for picks…even if Mitchell goes- their young core is like ours
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,510

Post#67 » by Knightro » Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:26 pm

Read on Twitter

Trae to Orlando confirmed?
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,369

Post#68 » by eyriq » Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:30 pm

Knightro wrote:
Read on Twitter

Confirmed. I really think this is one of those "they got him for WHAT?" opportunities.
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,171

Post#69 » by zaymon » Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:46 pm

eyriq wrote:
Knightro wrote:
Read on Twitter

Confirmed. I really think this is one of those "they got him for WHAT?" opportunities.

If he hits the market he is too talented to not consider him. He fits the position, he fits the timeline. He also gives our personality an edge. Last two seasons propably humbled him enough.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#70 » by Knightro » Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:16 pm

Trae is poor defensively, but if there was ever a team that could potentially hide him on that end, it could be Orlando.

Especially if Isaac is going to be able to uptick his minutes next year.
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,027

Post#71 » by fendilim » Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:10 pm

Knightro wrote:Trae is poor defensively, but if there was ever a team that could potentially hide him on that end, it could be Orlando.

Thats true.

But him being heavy on usage might hurt Paolo and Franz, imo.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#72 » by Knightro » Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:50 pm

fendilim wrote:
Knightro wrote:Trae is poor defensively, but if there was ever a team that could potentially hide him on that end, it could be Orlando.

Thats true.

It might.

But Atlanta has consistently had good offenses with Trae, so I'm not super concerned with that.

Hawks Year-by-Year
2021: 9th in ORTG
2022: 2nd in ORTG
2023: 7th in ORTG
2024: 10th in ORTG (I took out the 23 consecutive games Young didn't play with the busted finger)

Young's offensive EPM rankings the last five years: 4th, 9th, 2nd, 22nd, and 18th.
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,027

Post#73 » by fendilim » Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:18 am

Knightro wrote:
fendilim wrote:

Thats true.

It might.

But Atlanta has consistently had good offenses with Trae, so I'm not super concerned with that.

Hawks Year-by-Year
2024: 10th in ORTG (I took out the 23 consecutive games Young didn't play with the busted finger)

Young's offensive EPM rankings the last five years: 4th, 9th, 2nd, 22nd, and 18th.

True, but do you think either Paolo or Trae are willing to take the back seat especially for winning shots? At this point in their career, I don’t think they are. But who knows.
zaymon
Lead Assistant

Post#74 » by zaymon » Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:18 am

Young is more propable to unlock Paolo than block him. Banchero has great handle for his size, but not good enough for lead ball handler. He would be much more dangerous playing off advantage.
We have what it takes to hide Young on defense. Two great defenders in Black and Suggs. We can send one to supplement Murray and keep the other.
I am not 100% sure offensive upside is worth defensive downgrade but thats front office job. I am almost certain Paolo cant be the lone lead ball handler, even becouse he is too big and keeps getting tired quicker. When you factor that Franz/Paolo is too easy to switch than Young could be a real opportunity. Try to switch Young/Banchero or Young/Wagner good luck. We can see how much good playmaker can transform a team in Ingles and he almost cant move.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 13,091

Post#75 » by MagicMatic » Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:49 am

zaymon wrote:Young is more propable to unlock Paolo than block him. Banchero has great handle for his size, but not good enough for lead ball handler. He would be much more dangerous playing off advantage.
We have what it takes to hide Young on defense. Two great defenders in Black and Suggs. We can send one to supplement Murray and keep the other.
I am not 100% sure offensive upside is worth defensive downgrade but thats front office job. I am almost certain Paolo cant be the lone lead ball handler, even becouse he is too big and keeps getting tired quicker. When you factor that Franz/Paolo is too easy to switch than Young could be a real opportunity. Try to switch Young/Banchero or Young/Wagner good luck. We can see how much good playmaker can transform a team in Ingles and he almost cant move.

The problem with Young is more than just a defensive asterisk. The guy has taken 18-20 shot attempts per game since entering the league. Sorry, but I don’t want that kind of volume added next to guys like Franz and Paolo whose entire game is to have the ball in their hands generating their own offense.

Now, I totally understand why people buy into the idea of Trae as a solve to the current issues with shooting and opening up Paolo’s game. I just think there are better alternatives than creating a defensive liability, as well as adding another black hole, while spending enormous amounts of assets in the process. There has got to be a middle ground between Markelle Fultz and Trae Young.

Garland, Sexton, Jones, and Brogdon are sooner guys I’d like to see them prioritize if they are going to search for shorter to longer term solutions. Nembhard seems untouchable by Pacers fans but he’s another one.
zaymon
Lead Assistant

Post#76 » by zaymon » Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:05 pm

MagicMatic wrote:
zaymon wrote:Young is more propable to unlock Paolo than block him. Banchero has great handle for his size, but not good enough for lead ball handler. He would be much more dangerous playing off advantage.

The problem with Young is more than just a defensive asterisk. The guy has taken 18-20 shot attempts per game since entering the league. Sorry, but I don’t want that kind of volume added next to guys like Franz and Paolo whose entire game is to have the ball in their hands generating their own offense.

Now, I totally understand why people buy into the idea of Trae as a solve to the current issues with shooting and opening up Paolo’s game. I just think there are better alternatives than creating a defensive liability, as well as adding another black hole, while spending enormous amounts of assets in the process. There has got to be a middle ground between Markelle Fultz and Trae Young.

Garland, Sexton, Jones, and Brogdon are sooner guys I’d like to see them prioritize if they are going to search for shorter to longer term solutions. Nembhard seems untouchable by Pacers fans but he’s another one.

But its also easier to scale down a player than scale up. It can work only if Young is humbled enough. I remember interview where our players praised him for being better defensively this season.
All players you listed except Garland are not even half of playmakers Young is and part of possible success is Young passing not scoring.
It could be a historic decision. Players of his caliber rarely change teams so soon.
Is it better to sign Dlo, Monk or wait for other players ? Maybe it is, but Young is good enough to at least put him into our analytics models.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,764

Post#77 » by basketballRob » Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:25 pm

Knightro wrote:
fendilim wrote:

Thats true.

It might.

Hawks Year-by-Year

Simons was 29th this season and would cost way less. My guess is 2 1st-round picks and cap space would get Simons.

Return to Orlando Magic