ImageImageImageImage

2024 NBA Playoffs Round 1 Game 1: (5) Orlando Magic at (4) Cleveland Cavaliers

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 13,096

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs Round 1 Game 1: (5) Orlando Magic at (4) Cleveland Cavaliers 

Post#1361 » by MagicMatic » Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:42 am

Bensational wrote:It was obvious when we started the rebuild we’d be drafting players who needed time to develop and become their prime versions of themselves. So it’s pretty outrageous that WeHam didn’t invest in a Time Machine to speed that up when it has always been such an obvious problem we were going to encounter.

:lol:

Time Machine or some vets to learn under that aren’t playing for the Shanghai Sharks next season.

Maybe both are equally difficult to acquire for them.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,503

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs Round 1 Game 1: (5) Orlando Magic at (4) Cleveland Cavaliers 

Post#1362 » by Bensational » Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:08 am

MagicMatic wrote:
Bensational wrote:It was obvious when we started the rebuild we’d be drafting players who needed time to develop and become their prime versions of themselves. So it’s pretty outrageous that WeHam didn’t invest in a Time Machine to speed that up when it has always been such an obvious problem we were going to encounter.

:lol:

Time Machine or some vets to learn under that aren’t playing for the Shanghai Sharks next season.

Maybe both are equally difficult to acquire for them.

I mean, we had arguably the best performing bench in the league featuring Isaac, Moe Wagner and Ingles. We’ve got impactful veterans, they just didn’t bring in the ones people wanted when they wanted them. But… we still managed to secure the 5th seed while Paolo and Franz got their fill of being lead options for a team.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,978

Post#1363 » by drsd » Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:37 am

Watching all the Magic videos at how they thought they played good defense. That's not what I saw at all. At first, there were a number of blow plays leading to open perimeter players. Then latter in the game there were blown plays leading to inside positioning.

So: let's say Orlando was good defensively for 70% of the plays, well, the other 30% then is lay-up drill and 3-point practice time. That's not ok. The Magic's team defense needs to be focused EVERY play. This team is not talented enough to rely on individual defensive excellence.

p.s. some here have talked about poor shooting, but here it is as a sum: G-Harris, Carter, Fultz, Anthony, and Ingles combined for 87 minutes played , or 36.5% of all court minutes available in the game. In that time, they scored 8 points collectively. As points per minutes, that's a 0.092 points scored per minute played.

If G-Harris is a Magician next year, I will scream (and still be a Magic fan - what can one do???)
drsd
RealGM

Post#1364 » by drsd » Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:43 am

Some box score thoughts. (I will skip the obvious stuff)

Yes the Magic lost the FG% battle to lose the game..

After the Magic gifted the fort 4 three pointers to the Cavs, from then on the perimeter defense held Cleveland to 4-26 (15.3%).

The Magic got KILLED on the glass, losing the rebounding differential battle by an ungodly 14 boards. Yuck. BUT: the Magic dominated on TO-differential finishing a sterling minus-5. Subtract out Banchero's TOs, the rest of the team had only three TOs. WOW.
JoshuaPotter
Starter
And1: 695

Post#1365 » by JoshuaPotter » Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:36 pm

drsd wrote:Some box score thoughts. (I will skip the obvious stuff)

Yes the Magic lost the FG% battle to lose the game..

After the Magic gifted the fort 4 three pointers to the Cavs, from then on the perimeter defense held Cleveland to 4-26 (15.3%).

The Magic got KILLED on the glass, losing the rebounding differential battle by an ungodly 14 boards. Yuck. BUT: the Magic dominated on TO-differential finishing a sterling minus-5. Subtract out Banchero's TOs, the rest of the team had only three TOs. WOW.

I didn't / couldn't if I wanted to / see the game. Thank you for this recap.

Pure boxscore, I like what I saw from Paolo minus FT. Yes 9 TO is bad. Like REALLY bad. Considering he plays like he is 1-2 option out there I am willing to let it all slide.

Franz....did alright.

Suggs, he did everything I wanted too in terms of getting to the foul line and shot hunting. This is good for him. If those shots fall the world becomes a different game. Keep at it Suggs.

Isaac starting makes me smile.

0-1 for our mostly Sophmore NBA team and it looks like it was an actual game for the most part.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,779

Post#1366 » by basketballRob » Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:54 pm

Paolo is playing the 4 and doesn't match up well with Mobley. We might have to take a chance at playing Franz at the 2 so Paolo can slide over to the 3. Wendell, Isaac, Banchero, Franz, and Suggs has been our best lineup.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM Forums mobile app
drsd
RealGM

Post#1367 » by drsd » Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:58 pm

MagicMatic wrote:Time Machine or some vets .....

For some reason this reminded me of Motley Lou.

drsd
RealGM

Post#1368 » by drsd » Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:00 pm

basketballRob wrote:Paolo is playing the 4 and doesn't match up well with Mobley. We might have to take a chance at playing Franz at the 2 so Paolo can slide over to the 3. Wendell, Isaac, Banchero, Franz, and Suggs has been our best lineup.

You had me at "bench G-Harris".

Look: the Magic does not have a single competent SG. So, fudge it, go big or go home. Literally.

Alas, Coach Mosley tried this in preseason and it FLOPPED. My recommendation: let us all pray G-Harris and Anthony rediscover their shooting touches. Live or die, those are key.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,779

Post#1369 » by basketballRob » Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:03 pm

drsd wrote:
basketballRob wrote:Paolo is playing the 4 and doesn't match up well with Mobley. We might have to take a chance at playing Franz at the 2 so Paolo can slide over to the 3. Wendell, Isaac, Banchero, Franz, and Suggs has been our best lineup.

Look: the Magic does not have a single competent SG. So, fudge it, go big or go home. Literally.

Alas, Coach Mosley tried this in preseason and it FLOPPED. My recommendation: let us all pray G-Harris and Anthony rediscover their shooting touches. Live or die, those are key.
We played the big lineup at Minnesota in the 4th quarter and won the game. Minnesota has a similar lineup with 2 big guys. Towns was going off when we played small.

Mobley is 7' with a 7'5 wingspan Paolo is 6'10" with a 7' wingspan.

drsd
RealGM

Post#1370 » by drsd » Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:20 pm

basketballRob wrote:
drsd wrote:

We played the big lineup at Minnesota in the 4th quarter and won the game. Minnesota has a similar lineup with 2 big guys. Towns was going off when we played small.

Mobley is 7' with a 7'5 wingspan Paolo is 6'10" with a 7' wingspan.

Playing the jumbo-lineup in spots can work. Starting these five cannot.That's my point.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,552

Post#1371 » by Knightro » Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:43 pm

So Franz would have to defend one of Garland or Mitchell then, yes?
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,604

Post#1372 » by BadMofoPimp » Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:43 am

MagicMatic wrote:
BadMofoPimp wrote:
Skybox wrote:
“Panic moves” is not the same as “transactions “… unless you think your FO is inept and just got lucky so far and cross your fingers and hope it continues. If that’s the case, we’re dead in the water anyway. Believing in the FO (like I do) means actually seeing that they’ve put themselves in position to make a good move and aren’t just hoping…no serious team ever ascended that way.

“Cry constantly” ? :noway: …just silly

I believe the asking prices were too high or management wasn't interested in breaking the team vision. This is about developing the core, not panicking. I see your panicking. This isn't NBA2k where all trades can be feasibly made. Trades like the ones thrown around here rarely happen that often. I am sure once the Magic reach the plateau where they feel the need to make a move to reach the next plateau, then it will happen. No need now as the concentration is purely on developing youth, not fans quick turnaround dreams.

Except people were talking about building around the core of this team since last offseason and the deadline… not just after 1 playoff game loss in Cleveland.

It’s not panicking. It’s called addressing the roster by maximizing the core’s strengths and minimizing their weaknesses. None of this needed to be done 100% at once, but they haven’t even started. They kicked the can down the road AGAIN.

If they knew playoffs were a possibility by the deadline they should have made 1 move to address the obvious problems with the offense before they embarrassed themselves on national television.

Is that too much to ask? Is that crying or panicking ?

Maybe, they just wanted to see this teams resolve and let the kids experience to make them stronger while not taking away from that.

The kind of players that you probably want them to trade for will always be available. There are plenty.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
mattyBoi
Head Coach
And1: 910

Post#1373 » by mattyBoi » Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:32 am

If they can start making shots it will open up the whole game for paolo and Franz. Can only hope.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,604

Post#1374 » by BadMofoPimp » Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:32 am

MagicMatic wrote:
BadMofoPimp wrote:
Skybox wrote:
“Panic moves” is not the same as “transactions “… unless you think your FO is inept and just got lucky so far and cross your fingers and hope it continues. If that’s the case, we’re dead in the water anyway. Believing in the FO (like I do) means actually seeing that they’ve put themselves in position to make a good move and aren’t just hoping…no serious team ever ascended that way.

“Cry constantly” ? :noway: …just silly

I believe the asking prices were too high or management wasn't interested in breaking the team vision. This is about developing the core, not panicking. I see your panicking. This isn't NBA2k where all trades can be feasibly made. Trades like the ones thrown around here rarely happen that often. I am sure once the Magic reach the plateau where they feel the need to make a move to reach the next plateau, then it will happen. No need now as the concentration is purely on developing youth, not fans quick turnaround dreams.

Except people were talking about building around the core of this team since last offseason and the deadline… not just after 1 playoff game loss in Cleveland.

It’s not panicking. It’s called addressing the roster by maximizing the core’s strengths and minimizing their weaknesses. None of this needed to be done 100% at once, but they haven’t even started. They kicked the can down the road AGAIN.

If they knew playoffs were a possibility by the deadline they should have made 1 move to address the obvious problems with the offense before they embarrassed themselves on national television.

Is that too much to ask? Is that crying or panicking ?

So typical RealGM crowd. Increasing Victories by a dozen two years consecutively should be appluaded and praised, not criticized and ridiculed. I am excited for next season regardless if they make a move or not. The Magic will prove you wrong!!!

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!

Return to Orlando Magic