ImageImageImageImage

2024 NBA Playoffs Round 1 Game 1: (5) Orlando Magic at (4) Cleveland Cavaliers

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

rcklsscognition
RealGM
And1: 7,179

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs Round 1 Game 1: (5) Orlando Magic at (4) Cleveland Cavaliers 

Post#1321 » by rcklsscognition » Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:35 am

We had defensive problems in the beginning of the game and the Franz interview where he said WCJ was the key to their defensive system, or something along those lines, is still making me second guess moving Isaac to the starting lineup.

Isaac clearly is the better defender but it may work better to have him anchor the 2nd unit.

Our offense was putrid but everything was way too easy for them.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,870

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs Round 1 Game 1: (5) Orlando Magic at (4) Cleveland Cavaliers 

Post#1322 » by RookieStar » Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:37 am

All im seeing really is that our weaknesses are being highlighted and our FO really has their work cut out for them.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,786

Post#1323 » by basketballRob » Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:43 am

neuraldarwinism wrote:
KillMonger wrote:
Bensational wrote:
There’s nothing unfounded about it though, the proof is in the lineup data - in which they were net+ and one of our best lineups this season. Refuting that is just wilfully trying to ignore their success.

But that lineup did seem to run out of steam towards the end of their run so it’s equally hard to confirm how sustainable that would’ve been long term.
All I'm trying to say is that in the beginning of the season when we were healthy kelle and Dell wasn't really playing up to standard, then they got hurt... AB and Goga got put in a situation where they probably wasn't ready for but they responded.....not just on paper but the eye test, during that streak it was the best ball we've played.... The ball was moving side to side, players were cutting more... It was just really good ball.... Then we got healthy and made a decision to go back to what was then along the way we stopped playing that brand of ball... But that was obvious because the playstyles are different between those players.....we went away from a better fit for more talent in the lineup and I don't know if we needed to do that or at least do it in that way

Sent from my [Hands] using RealGM mobile app

also before AB's first start magic were not playing well--4-4 record. 3 of the wins were against early season rockets, jazz (barely won), and blazers (barely won).
We've been barely beating bad teams for a few months now.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM Forums mobile app
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,417

Post#1324 » by eyriq » Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:46 am

thelead wrote:
eyriq wrote:
Last Guardian wrote:
But do we rush it and make a trade or overpay someone, or do we just give AB and Jett a chance. Talking next year, of course.

This is a great question. Unpopular opinion here, there isn't a rush. We have several seasons yet until Paolo and Franz are All-NBA. Player development offers the brightest future before ceilings are still so high. Give AB and Jett a chance.

I don't think it's a great question at all. Do you limit the number of ingredients you give to a 5-star chef? Do you limit a rising organization's hiring if they have the budget because you have some good recruits coming in from an Ivey league school? No. You don't.

As a GM, your job is to accumulate as much top-flight talent as possible.
Adding ingredients that block other ingredients with potentially better taste isn't a good idea.
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,868

Post#1325 » by thelead » Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:56 am

eyriq wrote:
thelead wrote:
eyriq wrote:
This is a great question. Unpopular opinion here, there isn't a rush. We have several seasons yet until Paolo and Franz are All-NBA. Player development offers the brightest future before ceilings are still so high. Give AB and Jett a chance.

I don't think it's a great question at all. Do you limit the number of ingredients you give to a 5-star chef? Do you limit a rising organization's hiring if they have the budget because you have some good recruits coming in from an Ivey league school? No. You don't.

Adding ingredients that block other ingredients with potentially better taste isn't a good idea.

So you wouldn't trade for an all-star guard because AB MIGHT be good 2 years from now?
richi_v25
Bench Warmer
And1: 426

Post#1326 » by richi_v25 » Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:59 am

Looks like we're not the only away team to lose today imagine that.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1327 » by eyriq » Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:19 am

thelead wrote:
eyriq wrote:
thelead wrote:I don't think it's a great question at all. Do you limit the number of ingredients you give to a 5-star chef? Do you limit a rising organization's hiring if they have the budget because you have some good recruits coming in from an Ivey league school? No. You don't.

So you wouldn't trade for an all-star guard because AB MIGHT be good 2 years from now?
It isn't a no brainer. It would be tempting but those kinds of moves have potential to backfire.
Husky1
Senior
And1: 314

Post#1328 » by Husky1 » Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:20 am

Our guard play is something else. It is actually borderline embarrassing to see it on the national stage. As someone said, Weltman didn't just get here, he's been here for 7 years. We are the only team still without a **** PG. Fultz, Harris, Ingles is 41 million dead salary to go and get someone, there are many obvious upgrades out there. We also need to dump WCJ and Cole on someone. Who has Cole lit up previously? I would angling with those teams for a trade.
tooler
General Manager
And1: 5,371

Post#1329 » by tooler » Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:44 am

I couldn’t watch the game because I was coaching my kids flag football team and then I had to go out of town.

If the guards simply revert to the mean, is it possible we win game 2…?
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#1330 » by RookieStar » Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:23 am

eyriq wrote:
thelead wrote:
eyriq wrote:Adding ingredients that block other ingredients with potentially better taste isn't a good idea.

It isn't a no brainer. It would be tempting but those kinds of moves have potential to backfire.

I mean it backfired for us ( Ibaka-Oladipo) but others ( Kawhi) worked out well... granted its was a 1 yr rental but ring you know...
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1331 » by eyriq » Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:26 am

Saw something that made me chuckle, "Suggs went from Atomic Dog to Atomic Bricks"

He'll cook in game two
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1332 » by eyriq » Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:42 am

Read on Twitter
?t=lK4uNjNp4kN2b_1fkBmlUw&s=19
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,317

Post#1333 » by pepe1991 » Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:43 am

Husky1 wrote:Our guard play is something else. It is actually borderline embarrassing to see it on the national stage. As someone said, Weltman didn't just get here, he's been here for 7 years. We are the only team still without a **** PG. Fultz, Harris, Ingles is 41 million dead salary to go and get someone, there are many obvious upgrades out there. We also need to dump WCJ and Cole on someone. Who has Cole lit up previously? I would angling with those teams for a trade.

I pretty much hoped we make it to playoffs just so everybody outside fanbase can see how bad our guards are, in hope amount of criticism and humbling will force Weltman's hand to actually pay for damn starting PG.

In regular season you can get away with everything, especially against lower tear teams. In playoffs every player is being scouted.

One play of Cavs on Fultz pretty much sums it up, in regular season he attacks from outside, people actually bother to guard him pass 15 feet ( because they assume guard can shoot) and he takes adventage of it and steamrolls to a paint.
Last night he was sagged off even in mid range, once he attacked Mitchell went for block, but in same time Mobley reacted and blocked his shot in like 5th row.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 10,086

Post#1334 » by KillMonger » Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:59 am

Read on Twitter
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,216

Post#1335 » by cedric76 » Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:52 am

I can't see how we are not going to win game 2

We ll win our next game
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go
Offer Harris and goga a 1+1 deal

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic

Suggs, AB, Carter
Monk, Jett, Harris
Franz, Jett, Houstan
Paolo, Moe, (Cole trade)
Wcj, JI, goga
p0peye
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,020

Post#1336 » by p0peye » Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:41 am

Howard Mass wrote:
p0peye wrote:
Howard Mass wrote:The guard scoring or lack there of, killed The Magic today.

It's a glaring weakness.

The good thing is it's only one game. There is another one on Monday.

it is good front office made no trades at the deadline, as now we know. It is something totally hidden during regular season, literally nobody knew we dont have guards.

I saw that they needed more scoring.

There were some moves they could have made like for Buddy Hield. My feeling is they wanted it to play out with this group and maybe they wanted to hold their assets. We don't know how close they might have been to a move.

I do feel something will happen this summer in terms of a scoring shooting guard.

Keep in mind, they also need to get Anthony Black more minutes next year too.

So, those are assumptions and opinions, mine is different than yours. Facts are, no improvements has been made and we went into playoffs with glaring holes offensively. As for Black, I'd love him to become a star, but that is fully on him. We don't 'need' to do anything, he needs to improve to a point where he deserves a spot in rotation when games matter and everyone is healthy.
p0peye
Lead Assistant

Post#1337 » by p0peye » Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:45 am

KillMonger wrote:
Read on Twitter

Mose last night:

p0peye
Lead Assistant

Post#1338 » by p0peye » Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:46 am

cedric76 wrote:I can't see how we are not going to win game 2

We ll win our next game

I thought game 2 is our next game.
ARandomStranger
Sophomore
And1: 143

Post#1339 » by ARandomStranger » Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:29 am

What really sucks is that the Defense was actually extremely good through out this game and shots just didn't fall. I'm fine with losing, but when really only one player showed up offensively for the bulk of the game there is a big problem with how this team functions as a whole. Guard offense is one of the most glaring weaknesses we have and it needs to be addressed. Can't keep trying this internal growth thing if there is nothing there to grow.
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#1340 » by RookieStar » Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:44 am

Also... wow. 67 pages for a GT.

Good times are back in the Magic board?

Return to Orlando Magic